• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

antronoid

I watched it the other day, I reckon Disney did a fine job. Hopefully they win an Oscar for it, the snow animation alone is worth it!

zroid

Banned
The only thing sweeter than the taste of this victory is the hot cocoa I'm drinking from it right now

jxdPfsIAhLAwG.jpg

I decided to only get the one 'cause I'm a poor bastard. But they did hand me a 25% off coupon on a later purchase, so I may go back to get the Anna mug with the discount applied

Just got back from seeing it for the fifth time. It holds up. Goddamn. Such a fantastic movie.

I never mentionned it, but I like the juxtaposition of Hans and Kristoff's intros. Hans is depicted as the galant prince charming, while Kristoff (in his first real scene) is introduced with somber music, wearing a face mask and acting rude. Basically the opposite of what their characters actually are. :)

Bebpo

Banned
I'm finally getting a chance to see this for the first time tomorrow, but no theaters within 100 miles are showing the 3d version anymore. Is it still worth watching in 2d?

I'm finally getting a chance to see this for the first time tomorrow, but no theaters within 100 miles are showing the 3d version anymore. Is it still worth watching in 2d?

I've watched Tangled 18 times for the past 19 days, in 2D, and Frozen is a better film.

Yes, it's worth watching in 2D. But once it comes out on blu-ray in 3D, you should do yourself a favor and watch it in 3D if you have the chance. CG films are always great in 3D.

I've watched Tangled 18 times for the past 19 days, in 2D, and Frozen is a better film.

Yes, it's worth watching in 2D. But once it comes out on blu-ray in 3D, you should do yourself a favor and watch it in 3D if you have the chance. CG films are always great in 3D.

Woah, no matter i how much i like a movie, it'd probably make me hate it if i had to watch it 18 times in 19 days.

Out of curiosity, what movies would you say are your favourites?

JaseMath

I preordered this not having seen it because I loved Tangled and GAF says this could be better. You guys better be right or somebody owes me $22.99.

Woah, no matter i how much i like a movie, it'd probably make me hate it if i had to watch it 18 times in 19 days.

If i had to guess, i'd say he or she has young children. I've seen Madagascar two like, 50 times. I've seen how to train your dragon about 30 (really stands up on repeated viewings).

Yeah, I told myself I'd watch it until I didn't want to anymore, but I'm realizing that watching this movie is like masturbation for me. I do it, then there's a cooldown period of a little less than 24 hours, then I get the urge to do it again. And I totally plan on watching it again tonight. I don't know; I just love this movie. I put it on at night before going to bed and it brings me satisfaction, like cuddling a puppy. I guess I'll see how far I can go.

As for my favorite films, this is actually a question I've often asked myself, and the same movies always come back, so I guess they are reliable choices. Here are, to my knowledge, my six favorite films:

-La vie d'Adèle
-Pulp Fiction
-Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
-Drive
-Tangled
-Frozen

Out of them all, La vie d'Adèle is probably my favorite film of all time. I'm pretty sure I could not watch it as often as I do with Tangled, as the film is longer and slower, but still faster than it has the right to be. It's a masterpiece in filmmaking and absolutely deserves the three Palme d'ors it got.

If i had to guess, i'd say he or she has young children. I've seen Madagascar two like, 50 times. I've seen how to train your dragon about 30 (really stands up on repeated viewings).
I feel you, I've also seen Madagascar 2 a similar amount of times due to younger siblings :/

Yeah, I told myself I'd watch it until I didn't want to anymore, but I'm realizing that watching this movie is like masturbation for me. I do it, then there's a cooldown period of a little less than 24 hours, then I get the urge to do it again. And I totally plan on watching it again tonight. I don't know; I just love this movie. I put it on at night before going to bed and it brings me satisfaction, like cuddling a puppy. I guess I'll see how far I can go.
Just wow. I can't say I've felt anything similar. Whenever I re-watch a movie multiple times I always feel like I could be using the time to watch another movie I've been missing out on. I actually watched Tangled for the first time a couple of days ago, slightly prefer it to Frozen if only for shout-outs and subtleties.
As for my favorite films, this is actually a question I've often asked myself, and the same movies always come back, so I guess they are reliable choices. Here are, to my knowledge, my six favorite films:

-La vie d'Adèle
-Pulp Fiction
-Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
-Drive
-Tangled
-Frozen

Out of them all, La vie d'Adèle is probably my favorite film of all time. I'm pretty sure I could not watch it as often as I do with Tangled, as the film is longer and slower, but still faster than it has the right to be. It's a masterpiece in filmmaking and absolutely deserves the three Palme d'ors it got.

Damn, that is one varied list. I haven't watched La vie d'Adele but Kechiche's films have never really appealed to me to be honest and the reports of how he mistreated the actresses and film crew are slightly troubling. Here's my list to contrast:

-Apocalypse Now
-Miller's Crossing
-The Wind That Shakes the Barley
-Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
-Whisper of the Heart
-Sword of the Stranger

kazebyaka

Banned
So, i just watched Frozen for the seventh time and finally realized that one of the main, and probably most important, theme of this movie is Fear. Elsa's fear, Anna's fear, even Hans's fear. All characters have their own things to be afraid of, internal or external. Elsa fears what her power can do when she is near other people, she's also afraid of many other things: loneliness, disappointment, powerlessness to change anything. Anna's fears are similar, with her struggling against her fear of being lonely and being shut down again by her sister. She can't handle the fear, and that's why she always tries to be close to anybody, even the guy she met just few minutes ago. Anna is also fears for her sister. Not her powers, but her struggles.

The theme of fear is also present in most songs, indicating it's importance. Everybody is afraid of something, and it's a really hard thing to overcome. Fear is like ice, and it's indeed stronger than a hundred men. Only with love, to yourself and others, you can battle it. And that's why this movie is so touching.

After watching it so many times, i finally realized what it wanted to say to me. It helped me to overcome my own internal, deep-rooted fear i never suspected exists. Fear of success, of failure, or my own talents. Also, fear of alienating others and loneliness. This movie makes it so characters not only tell things to each other, but also directly address the viewer.

Perhaps, this just may be the greatest thing i've even encountered in my life. Nothing brought me such a range of unknown to me emotions, nothing made me cry so hard. Even deaths of several fo my relatives for the past few years didn't affect me. But Frozen, it did the feat i thought impossible - it changed me. I already talked about it in my other thread, but this is a bit more personal. Frozen made me look at myself from entirely different perspective. It allowed me to think about who i am and find that fear inside of me. Now, i'm not afraid anymore.

In my life, i encountered a lot of great and bad stuff, been through love and hate, a lifetime of events for many. But i always felt aimless, purposeless.
And for the first time in these long 24 years, i feel free. I feel like Anna and Elsa showed me the true way to live a life. To be brave, to be stoic, to be able to love others as well as myself, among other things. While i've heard similar lessons before, they always meant nothing to me. You laugh them off and continue living like nothing happened. But Frozen was able to touch my soul directly and thaw that thick layer of invisible ice around my heart.

For the first time in forever, i see a clear path in front of me in life. And with Anna and Elsa beside me, i have nothing to fear anymore.

I may sound too sentimental or crazy, but Frozen indeed means a lot to me. If i believed in God, i'd thought it's a sign from above. Perhaps it is.

tumblr_mztmmpIWyq1qii6huo1_500.gif

Fox1304

So, i just watched Frozen for the seventh time and finally realized that one of the main, and probably most important, theme of this movie is Fear. Elsa's fear, Anna's fear, even Hans's fear. All characters have their own things to be afraid of, internal or external. Elsa fears what her power can do when she is near other people, she's also afraid of many other things: loneliness, disappointment, powerlessness to change anything. Anna's fears are similar, with her struggling against her fear of being lonely and being shut down again by her sister. She can't handle the fear, and that's why she always tries to be close to anybody, even the guy she met just few minutes ago. Anna is also fears for her sister. Not her powers, but her struggles.

The theme of fear is also present in most songs, indicating it's importance. Everybody is afraid of something, and it's a really hard thing to overcome. Fear is like ice, and it's indeed stronger than a hundred men. Only with love, to yourself and others, you can battle it. And that's why this movie is so touching.

After watching it so many times, i finally realized what it wanted to say to me. It helped me to overcome my own internal, deep-rooted fear i never suspected exists. Fear of success, of failure, or my own talents. Also, fear of alienating others and loneliness. This movie makes it so characters not only tell things to each other, but also directly address the viewer.

Perhaps, this just may be the greatest thing i've even encountered in my life. Nothing brought me such a range of unknown to me emotions, nothing made me cry so hard. Even deaths of several fo my relatives for the past few years didn't affect me. But Frozen, it did the feat i thought impossible - it changed me. I already talked about it in my other thread, but this is a bit more personal. Frozen made me look at myself from entirely different perspective. It allowed me to think about who i am and find that fear inside of me. Now, i'm not afraid anymore.

In my life, i encountered a lot of great and bad stuff, been through love and hate, a lifetime of events for many. But i always felt aimless, purposeless.
And for the first time in these long 24 years, i feel free. I feel like Anna and Elsa showed me the true way to live a life. To be brave, to be stoic, to be able to love others as well as myself, among other things. While i've heard similar lessons before, they always meant nothing to me. You laugh them off and continue living like nothing happened. But Frozen was able to touch my soul directly and thaw that thick layer of invisible ice around my heart.

For the first time in forever, i see a clear path in front of me in life. And with Anna and Elsa beside me, i have nothing to fear anymore.

I may sound too sentimental or crazy, but Frozen indeed means a lot to me. If i believed in God, i'd thought it's a sign from above. Perhaps it is.

tumblr_mztmmpIWyq1qii6huo1_500.gif

That's quite an effect that this movie had and still has on you. This is both scary and inspirational : seeing a piece of media having such a deep impact on people would certainly lift the spirits of those who made it.
Glad that it impacted you on the good side, and allowed you to move forward.

Initial thoughts: This was, easily, the 2nd least liked disney animated classic that I have seen in a decade, second only to Chicken Little. It was all over the place!

Like, a third of the songs felt shoe-horned, the writing was lacking, and the overall plot seemed weak to me. I can't call it a bad film, but after hearing so many things, not getting hyped by then, and now seeing it, I must say I found it quite disappointing, if even insulting when compared to the classic that is Tangled.

Get a Horse was amazing though; I NEVER stopped smiling. I need a couple hours to mull this all over.

I'd never even think of putting Frozen on the same level as Chicken Little (and Brother Bear/Home on the Range, while we're at it), but I generally agree. The writing/pacing was weird for me and most of the songs were just okay (I didn't fall in love with Let it Go like most people did, but that may have more to do with my ex-roommate singing it approximately 93890334839238843 times before I finally saw the film).

Pretty good film, but I wouldn't put it on the pedestal of the 90s Disney Renaissance, either. Just good (ala Tangled).

zroid

Banned
How would this work ? And where did you hear this ?

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/articles/frozensing

All-New Sing Along version hits theaters January 31st! Ticket info coming soon.

“Frozen” audiences are invited to join the act—literally—as more than 1000 theaters nationwide introduce an all-new sing-along version of Disney’s Oscar®-nominated, Golden Globe®-winning big-screen adventure beginning Jan. 31, 2014.

“‘Frozen’ fans have embraced the film’s original songs and its soundtrack with such passion—there are countless YouTube videos from people singing songs like ‘Let It Go’—we decided to create a version that would celebrate that enthusiasm,” said Dave Hollis, executive vice president, theatrical distribution, The Walt Disney Studios. “It’s a great opportunity for families to get together and have some fun with these songs.”

According to Hollis, on-screen lyrics and a magical bouncing snowflake will accompany select showings; moviegoers can check local listings for showtimes and theaters. The duration of the sing-along run will vary by theater.

What will audiences do for the last half of the movie in the sing-a-long version?

I think the sing-a-long is before the movie starts. From what I gathered, the sing-a-long Let It Go scene would play first, then the movie would actually start right after. I could be mistaken though.

zroid

Banned
I think the sing-a-long is before the movie starts. From what I gathered, the sing-a-long Let It Go scene would play first, then the movie would actually start right after. I could be mistaken though.

Why would you think that? Pretty sure the songs are just going to be subtitled with a "bouncing snowflake" as described.

Why would you think that? Pretty sure the songs are just going to be subtitled with a "bouncing snowflake" as described.

I thought I read it in the press release, but after rereading it, I was mistaken. I guess it says that certain theaters will have lyrics accompany the songs in the movie.

edit: are the Diamond editions of Disney's past animated films worth it ? How do they differ from previous releases ? Are they remastered ? Do they have extra content ?

Rated-G

I thought I read it in the press release, but after rereading it, I was mistaken. I guess it says that certain theaters will have lyrics accompany the songs in the movie.

edit: are the Diamond editions of Disney's past animated films worth it ? How do they differ from previous releases ? Are they remastered ? Do they have extra content ?

For the most part they are all remastered. I actually know some people who work at the Disney Archives and helped restore most of the Diamond Editions. For almost all of the films (Fantasia being the sole exception) all of the preserved layouts and uncleared cels were references to restore the colors to how they were in their original theatrical formats or how they look to the naked eye. It doesn't sit well with people who grew up with the VHS copies, as many claim it ruined the look of the films, but personally I'd rather see them as close to the original intent as possible. They all look and sound fantastic.

The Diamond Editions also usually have a plethora of special features, deleted scenes, songs, archival commentary from Walt himself, behind the scenes featurettes, are galleries, work in progress versions of the film, etc. Something I wish they'd have kept going was the Cine-Explore option that most early Pixar and Disney Blu-rays had.

If you're a fan of the films, and interested in special features, I highly recommend them.

For the most part they are all remastered. I actually know some people who work at the Disney Archives and helped restore most of the Diamond Editions. For almost all of the films (Fantasia being the sole exception) all of the preserved layouts and uncleared cels were references to restore the colors to how they were in their original theatrical formats or how they look to the naked eye. It doesn't sit well with people who grew up with the VHS copies, as many claim it ruined the look of the films, but personally I'd rather see them as close to the original intent as possible. They all look and sound fantastic.

The Diamond Editions also usually have a plethora of special features, deleted scenes, songs, archival commentary from Walt himself, behind the scenes featurettes, are galleries, work in progress versions of the film, etc. Something I wish they'd have kept going was the Cine-Explore option that most early Pixar and Disney Blu-rays had.

If you're a fan of the films, and interested in special features, I highly recommend them.
What happened with Fantasia?

Rated-G

What happened with Fantasia?

Not all of the original layouts were able to be preserved in the archive. While films like Bambi and Pinocchio were able to have every shot remastered from physical reference, some shots in Fantasia did not have the originals to reference from, simply because the film is much more complex and had so many different palettes, style guides, and layouts that not every piece of reference art was able to be preserved because of a lack of space available in the original archive building. And while it doesn't detract from the quality of the remastered version, the people who worked on it have expressed disappointment that they couldn't make it 100% accurate as they were able to with other films of the time.

Actually though, I don't think Fantasia has been released as part of the "Diamond/Platinum Edition" line, and it's likely because of that.

ZoddGutts

While I enjoyed the movie, it felt somewhat rush or incomplete. Was it ever explained as to why Elsa has her powers? Or how the King and Queen knew of the trolls? There also wasn't much development between Anna and Kristoff. There really wasn't much time for me to really care for the characters. Personally I would put Tangled above this film and on par with Monsters University.

Was it ever explained as to why Elsa has her powers? Or how the King and Queen knew of the trolls?

No and no. Both of those things are irrelevant to the story anyway; it would have distracted from the relationship between Anna and Elsa. The movie had, at some point in the past, a scene that explained the origins of Elsa's powers, but it was cut for precisely this reason.

ZoddGutts

Why not? Still would like to hear how her powers came to be and those trolls. Never liked missing details. Movie just gave a rush feeling to it. At least with Tangled it was explained as to why she had long blond hair and had healing powers.

Top Bottom