• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Having stewed on this movie for a little while now, my overall opinion is that it's not the most cohesive or perfectly constructed Disney film, and disappointingly fumbles with a lot of the tremendous thematic potential it has, but that potential being there and the overall quality relative to Disney's recent weaker years elevates the film to something very enjoyable and memorable enough.

It's the kind of movie where I feel all the pieces are there, and most of these pieces are very strong, but as a complete cohesive work they don't quite come together. Watching snippets of scenes and songs you get the feeling of a really strong narrative heavy with progressive themes, but when compiled together it's all a bit fractured. Hearing the movie was rushed forward through production, it's indicative in the work itself.

If I had to distil my issues to bullet points:
- Elsa's character needed deeper development, particularly the triangle of her relationship with Anna, her internalisation of her powers, and her upbringing. There's pretty obvious allusions to sexuality, depression, and other personality issues that are at a height of discussion in modern, progressive societies, but it deed need further exposition. Her character arc hints a lot of potential but gets routinely fast tracked between extremes with rapid, unsatisfying resolutions. There's a deeper story there with more complicated social nuances and I wish they'd spent more time with it.
- The above plays second fiddle to Anna's adventure. I really like Anna and I feel her story plays an important role, particularly in the bait-and-switch of classic Disney tropes and acting as a vessel for Elsa's redemption, but a good portion of her story is just adventuring fluff. I think the film does absolutely need that stuff, especially since it's a family friendly Disney adventure, but it kinda puts into contrast what was missed in favour of more shallow, simple narrative.
- Last third of the film has no songs, and it's weird. Musically the narrative is very obviously structured like a Broadway; duets, dialogue exchanges in song, choir, crowd, etc. Almost every number would translate note-for-note, word-for-word to a stage. I really liked it, but because of that style of music having the last third totally absent just doesn't work. It would be like watching Les Mis and having the musical performances stop 2/3rds through and the tail end of the production just be a typical play.
- Really, really loved the visuals, animation is astounding (especially the faces), but I do think Disney is still having a wonky time finding a really unique visual identity in 3D. I can see they're trying to translate their classical character art to 3D characters, but it sometimes gives the world an eery, overly realistic quality next to toy-like characters. It's not a massive complaints, but I think Disney should experiment a bit more filters and stylised lighting/shadows/colouring/tone instead of taking the more traditional, basic path of realistic lighting with stylised proportions.

That's about it. It's a great film, and a strong Disney film. It seemed really confident with Disney's historic legacy and identity as storytellers, but at the same time not afraid to play with such imagery. Fully embracing what Disney is, while also progressing and staying relevant to a modern world. The underlying message of the narrative; love conquers all, be true to who you, and most importantly love the people around you regardless of who they are is a good one to send to kids in the world of today. It's a story of bonding and personal honesty, and I dig it.

But yeah. Great movie, but I do think it could have been something even more amazing.

- People look so bland with this CGI art style, it's the reason I didn't liked tangled
Just want to point out that even tough CGI take some getting was to the animation style still follows closely to Disney classic with expressive movement throughout from facial animation to draping, saying that I still would of loved something more like this
XWgXeGs.jpg
8LpfGoK.jpg
Qi5SKyA.jpg
Also great post Eatchildren.

Xun

Having stewed on this movie for a little while now, my overall opinion is that it's not the most cohesive or perfectly constructed Disney film, and disappointingly fumbles with a lot of the tremendous thematic potential it has, but that potential being there and the overall quality relative to Disney's recent weaker years elevates the film to something very enjoyable and memorable enough.

It's the kind of movie where I feel all the pieces are there, and most of these pieces are very strong, but as a complete cohesive work they don't quite come together. Watching snippets of scenes and songs you get the feeling of a really strong narrative heavy with progressive themes, but when compiled together it's all a bit fractured. Hearing the movie was rushed forward through production, it's indicative in the work itself.

- Elsa's character needed deeper development, particularly the triangle of her relationship with Anna, her internalisation of her powers, and her upbringing. There's pretty obvious allusions to sexuality, depression, and other personality issues that are at a height of discussion in modern, progressive societies, but it deed need further exposition. Her character arc hints a lot of potential but gets routinely fast tracked between extremes with rapid, unsatisfying resolutions. There's a deeper story there with more complicated social nuances and I wish they'd spent more time with it.
- The above plays second fiddle to Anna's adventure. I really like Anna and I feel her story plays an important role, particularly in the bait-and-switch of classic Disney tropes and acting as a vessel for Elsa's redemption, but a good portion of her story is just adventuring fluff. I think the film does absolutely need that stuff, especially since it's a family friendly Disney adventure, but it kinda puts into contrast what was missed in favour of more shallow, simple narrative.
- Last third of the film has no songs, and it's weird. Musically the narrative is very obviously structured like a Broadway; duets, dialogue exchanges in song, choir, crowd, etc. Almost every number would translate note-for-note, word-for-word to a stage. I really liked it, but because of that style of music having the last third totally absent just doesn't work. It would be like watching Les Mis and having the musical performances stop 2/3rds through and the tail end of the production just be a typical play.
- Really, really loved the visuals, animation is astounding (especially the faces), but I do think Disney is still having a wonky time finding a really unique visual identity in 3D. I can see they're trying to translate their classical character art to 3D characters, but it sometimes gives the world an eery, overly realistic quality next to toy-like characters. It's not a massive complaints, but I think Disney should experiment a bit more filters and stylised lighting/shadows/colouring/tone instead of taking the more traditional, basic path of realistic lighting with stylised proportions.

That's about it. It's a great film, and a strong Disney film. It seemed really confident with Disney's historic legacy and identity as storytellers, but at the same time not afraid to play with such imagery. Fully embracing what Disney is, while also progressing and staying relevant to a modern world. The underlying message of the narrative; love conquers all, be true to who you, and most importantly love the people around you regardless of who they are is a good one to send to kids in the world of today. It's a story of bonding and personal honesty, and I dig it.

But yeah. Great movie, but I do think it could have been something even more amazing.
Both Disney and Pixar are going to experiment further with styles in the future.

Disney has Moana in the works that'll feature a painterly look, whilst Pixar has been researching into it as well (http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/pixa...uld-change-the-look-of-their-films-95205.html).

Disney will most definitely start to use the Paperman tech, but it's apparently too limited when it comes to colour at the moment.

Just watched the movie.

Meh 6.5/10

Things I liked:

- great villain, with a logical reason for his actions
- The winter world looks awesome
- the reindeer was funny at times, but acted too much like a dog....
- the comic relief character was actually a bit capable
- the troll song was pretty good
- Elsa had a strong character

thing I hated:

- Anna was an awful annoying character.
- People look so bland with this CGI art style, it's the reason I didn't liked tangled
- Too many songs, not enough memorable ones.
- The baby troll, though he had only 2 or 3 lines. Goddamn he annoyed me.

Seriously?

I suppose it's worth asking everyone, especially with the video of the 25 different languages that other than english, which version is your favorite?

For me, either Norwegian or Japanese. Norwegian is really pretty, and May J, one of my favorite J-Pop artists does that version

Holy flaming balls this Japanese cover of 'Let It Go' is really well done! It could easily pass as the official one......I thought it was! You all gotta hear it.

CorvoSol

The more I think about it, the more I really, really hate the trolls in this movie. Especially their musical number. "Just throw a little love their way and you'll bring out their best!"

Like how Anna's love brought out the best in
Hans
? Or how Elsa's father's love
made him so afraid he ruined her life and let the trolls tear out part of Anna's memories
? Or maybe how the Troll's love somehow justifies their attempts to ruin Anna's engagement and force her into an equally unjustifiable, equally rapid wedding?

There is a lot I like in this movie, but man, I hate the trolls and how all they do is muddle and confuse the film's themes.

zeopower6

Listening to the Scriptnotes podcast with Jennifer Lee. Apparently when she signed on, they started over and finished in a little under a year and a half. Do You Want To Build A Snowman was cut for a long time since it was too depressing... I love these types of interviews!

Holy flaming balls this Japanese cover of 'Let It Go' is really well done! It could easily pass as the official one......I thought it was! You all gotta hear it.

Holy flaming balls? haha xD

Anyway, yeah, it's pretty good, especially for a non-native cover :)

Listening to the Scriptnotes podcast with Jennifer Lee. Apparently when she signed on, they started over and finished in a little under a year and a half. Do You Want To Build A Snowman was cut for a long time since it was too depressing... I love these types of interviews!

How cool, I guess we're all fortunate it made it in then!

Out of interest what Disney movie would you say is the closest to perfect in your opinion? Because a few of your criticisms can be applied in a more broader sense to the vast majority of Disney movies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Out of interest what Disney movie would you say is the closest to perfect in your opinion? Because a few of your criticisms can be applied in a more broader sense to the vast majority of Disney movies.

The Lion King, probably because it draws so much from Hamlet, is in my opinion Disney's strongest narrative and the peak of their hand drawn animation.

Rated-G

The Lion King, probably because it draws so much from Hamlet, is in my opinion Disney's strongest narrative and the peak of their hand drawn animation.

I don't know if The Lion King is my favorite, but damn that movie has one powerful score.

Speaking of which, the score for Frozen is really good as well, I love that bars of Frozen Heart and Do You Wanna Build a Snowman weave their way in and out of almost every track. And some of the horns and other wind used have such a great, mysterious sound.

zroid

Banned
If you pre-order the movie from Disneystore.com, you'll get 4 free 10"x14" lithographs, and a coupon for $20 off a future purchase. It's $25, so that seems pretty good.

Too bad shipping to Canada is ridiculous (like $25), so it's worthless to me. :(

Loofy

Ugh just found out the the 3D blu ray has been cancelled for NA so disney can have it on crappy digital exclusively. Booo urns Im gonna have to import from amazon.uk now.

Frozen the BOX office amazingnes (that is not a word but it should be).

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/box...hat-awkward-moment-frozen-sing-a-long-chimes/

3rd place ESTIMATE so not final yet but still (will know more in 24 hous or so).
But bwhahhahahaha 11th week in theaters and now 3rd place.

Sing a long version is now showing new from this week on word.

It truly is INSANE how well its doing for so long.

Congrats everyone.
On track to beating Despicable Me 2. I don't know what the chances are of it beating Iron Man 3 but it'd be cool if it could get there. Then the top two highest grossing films of 2013 will have featured strong female protagonists.

EatChildren

Great example of how skewered the musical narrative is: there are five vocal pieces in the first 35 minutes of the film. There are none in the last 30 minutes.

Fey

Banned
o here's the OT. I just saw the movie a few hours ago and thought it was great. Disney is stepping it uP.

Great example of how skewered the musical narrative is: there are five vocal pieces in the first 35 minutes of the film. There are none in the last 30 minutes.

This was a problem I had with the movie in the beginning. It just felt like song after song after song. I was nearly thinking things like "... how did people like this?" but the second half brought be back in.

And even though Olaf was great and funny, he really felt like a last minute addition, as though they realized that the movie had very little lighthearted moments and quickly threw him in.

It really was different from what I was expecting (Tangled - in snow). No clear villain (for much of the movie, anyway) and four main human non-comic relief characters, and an ending where the princess(es) weren't really saved by their prince. It wasn't a fantastic movie, but I really enjoyed and appreciated it.

EatChildren

I really liked the density of the opening songs because it structured the film a lot like a Broadway play; narrative development and character dialogue richly entwined into musicals. A lot of key character development and scene setting in the first 35 minutes is done through song. Olaf's song is mostly fun sing-a-long fluff (I liked it, because most musical take a break from the super serious songs to have a bit of fun), and the musical narrative pretty much peaks and ends with the Anna/Elsa For The First Time In Forever duo. The troll song is the only number afterwards, and it's like Olafs: light narrative, fluff sing-a-long fun.

It's not at all unusual for Disney's films to significantly reduce performances in the last ~30 minutes while the narrative traditionally takes a darker turn, but (unless my memory is busted) they're also not usually as dense in the first ~30 minutes as Frozen, nor as strictly Broadway. It's okay for something like The Lion King to sideline music during the climax as the narrative sets a precedent for character development and important dialogue exchanges outside of music. Frozen is kind of the other way around; it does a lot with the music and performances right out the gate, and like Les Mis and other musicals would have worked just fine having some of the tail end narrative developments performed as songs.

Elsa's confrontation with the guards and Hans, and/or Hans revealing his plot to a desperate Anna, could have been worked into darker, duo musical pieces. Hans + Anna would have been great to follow up from their peachy Love Is An Open Door earlier in the film. The pivotal sequence split between Anna, Hans, Kristoff, and Elsa right at the end also could have been worked into a four piece climax, mixing in Hans' taunting Elsa, her despair, Kristoff's adrenalin, that finished with Anna making her choice to freeze and save Elsa (song immediately ending to the silence of her "death" and Elsa's reaction).

Structurally I wished the rest of the film embraced the Broadway narrative of the first ~1/3rd. I still really like it, but it does fracture the narrative style quite a bit for me. It's really obvious they started with one thing, and then ended up with something a bit different.

On the topic of music, I really hope someday we get a Disney musical that's practically sung through (though I can understand the issues with this, even having consistent musical numbers from beginning to end would be cool). It makes me wonder what Disney would be like if Ashman was still around. Apparently he was really involved with the three movies he worked on and I think Disney needs to find songwriters that will get really involved with the formation of their films going forward.

CorvoSol

I really liked the density of the opening songs because it structured the film a lot like a Broadway play; narrative development and character dialogue richly entwined into musicals. A lot of key character development and scene setting in the first 35 minutes is done through song. Olaf's song is mostly fun sing-a-long fluff (I liked it, because most musical take a break from the super serious songs to have a bit of fun), and the musical narrative pretty much peaks and ends with the Anna/Elsa For The First Time In Forever duo. The troll song is the only number afterwards, and it's like Olafs: light narrative, fluff sing-a-long fun.

It's not at all unusual for Disney's films to significantly reduce performances in the last ~30 minutes while the narrative traditionally takes a darker turn, but (unless my memory is busted) they're also not usually as dense in the first ~30 minutes as Frozen, nor as strictly Broadway. It's okay for something like The Lion King to sideline music during the climax as the narrative sets a precedent for character development and important dialogue exchanges outside of music. Frozen is kind of the other way around; it does a lot with the music and performances right out the gate, and like Les Mis and other musicals would have worked just fine having some of the tail end narrative developments performed as songs.

Elsa's confrontation with the guards and Hans, and/or Hans revealing his plot to a desperate Anna, could have been worked into darker, duo musical pieces. Hans + Anna would have been great to follow up from their peachy Love Is An Open Door earlier in the film. The pivotal sequence split between Anna, Hans, Kristoff, and Elsa right at the end also could have been worked into a four piece climax, mixing in Hans' taunting Elsa, her despair, Kristoff's adrenalin, that finished with Anna making her choice to freeze and save Elsa (song immediately ending to the silence of her "death" and Elsa's reaction).

Structurally I wished the rest of the film embraced the Broadway narrative of the first ~1/3rd. I still really like it, but it does fracture the narrative style quite a bit for me. It's really obvious they started with one thing, and then ended up with something a bit different.

Oh man, a darker reprisal of "Love is an Open Door" would've actually made Hans into a good villain.

EatChildren

Aren't most Disney musical films front loaded on songs?

They are, see above post, but I don't think they're as dense as Frozen's opening. And structurally I don't think they're quite the same. Frozen is so, so Broadway.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen Tangled.

Oh man, a darker reprisal of "Love is an Open Door" would've actually made Hans into a good villain.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Darker reprise of Love is an Open Door to highlight his long term exploitation of Anna's naivety.

Oozer3993

Aren't most Disney musical films front loaded on songs?

Most are kind of more middle loaded. An off the cuff comparison (of the couple movies I have readily available at the moment) of full (at least a minute thirty seconds long*) songs with vocals:

Frozen:
  • The second song (Do You Want To Build A Snowman) is 7 minutes in.
  • The third (First Time In Forever) is 13 minutes in.
  • The fourth (Love is an Open Door) is 24 minutes in.
  • The fifth (Let It Go) is 31 minutes in.

The Little Mermaid:
  • The second song (Part of That World) is 15 minutes in.
  • The third (Part of Your World [Reprise]) is 25 minutes in.
  • The fourth (Under The Sea) is 29 minutes in.
  • The fifth (Poor Unfortunate Souls) is 40 minutes in.

Aladdin:
  • The second song (Friend Like Me) is 35 minutes in.
  • The third is (Prince Ali) is 45 minutes in.
  • The fourth (A Whole New World) is 57 minutes in.
  • The fifth is... there is no fifth by these guidelines. The only other song is the slightly more than a minute long reprise of Prince Ali at 72 minutes in.

The Princess and the Frog:
  • The second song (Almost There) is 13 minutes in.
  • The third is (Friend on the Other Side) 18 minutes in.
  • The fourth (When We're Human) is 39 minutes in.
  • The fifth (Gonna Take You There) is 47 minutes in.

Tangled:
  • The second song (Mother Knows Best) is 13 minutes in.
  • The third (When Will My Life Begin (Reprise 2) is 30 minutes in.
  • The fourth (I've Got A Dream) is 39 minutes in.
  • The fifth (Mother Knows Best [Reprise]) is 57 minutes in.

Frozen hits its third song before any of those others hits their second. Frozen has gone through and finished 5 songs before everything but The Little Mermaid has even gotten to its fourth.

*This is to keep it to songs that most people would consider musical set-pieces. It excludes songs that do nothing but play over opening credits (Arabian Nights), or in-world song fragments (Daughters of Triton), and I'm essentially counting both parts of One Jump Ahead as one song since it has the same structure (main song, small scene, small reprise) as Do You Want To Build A Snowman, which is one song.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
So I work in a pub

The jukebox now has let it go from the OST and the demi lovatos cover

Omg fucking YESSS

When it's just me after closing or nobody's in I'm gonna have a little rave.. It's currently just me so I've listened to it about 100 times

It seems weird that this thread is in Community when the movie is still in the top 3 at the box office.

Anyway, I just saw it and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen Tangled either. But everyone's been raving about this, so I broke down and decided I would go see it with a friend. It was really good, but they should have axed the trolls completely. They felt out of place, like they were left over from a previous script. Their whole segment was that pandering to the youngest of kids like Disney used to do in the late 90s. Everything else was pretty good though.

Right after "Let It Go" my friend nudges me and shows me his phone (It was an empty theater), with this picture on it.

1WHy9DH.jpg

And I lose my shit. I was laughing for a solid two minutes. I have no idea why.

Rated-G

Is there like a written version of it, though, or was it just planned?

From an earlier post of mine in this thread:
Another note, also not in the version I saw, but discussed, is that at one point Hans had a twisted verse of Love is An Open Door during his reveal. It was to be played in a more menacing key, and they likened it to Jafar's reprise of Prince Ali in Aladdin. It closed on the line "Say goodbye, Anna, to the pain of the past. You won't have to feel it anymore." Apparently that was cut because it felt like overkill in playing up his cold-heartedness.

From what I can recall, the scene was in the animatic at one point, with the storyboard artist who did the sequence singing the temp audio for the reprise. When the sequence played in context during a producer note screening they said about three fourths of the room said it felt way too dark, and the storyboard artist pitched the idea of just having him close the door on Anna without throwing the song in to add insult to injury.

I found the notebook I had with me when I wrote my feedback from that screening, I'll go through it once I'm done moving and see if there are any other bits of trivia that might be of interest.

From an earlier post of mine in this thread:

From what I can recall, the scene was in the animatic at one point, with the storyboard artist who did the sequence singing the temp audio for the reprise. When the sequence played in context during a producer note screening they said about three fourths of the room said it felt way too dark, and the storyboard artist pitched the idea of just having him close the door on Anna without throwing the song in to add insult to injury.

I found the notebook I had with me when I wrote my feedback from that screening, I'll go through it once I'm done moving and see if there are any other bits of trivia that might be of interest.

Oh man, this sounds interesting. I would have liked to see him sing in that scene.

Rated-G

Oh man, this sounds interesting. I would have liked to see him sing in that scene.

Same! I don't know if I'd have actually wanted the scene implemented, but supposedly some of Santino's recording outtakes include him "singing in a brooding timbre and erupting maniacally", I'm betting it was for that scene exactly.

I'm not sure who that quote was quoting but I had it jotted down in quotations on a page about Hans...

Same! I don't know if I'd have actually wanted the scene implemented, but supposedly some of Santino's recording outtakes include him "singing in a brooding timbre and erupting maniacally", I'm betting it was for that scene exactly..

Holy shit. This needs to be on the blu-ray.

Rated-G

Holy shit. This needs to be on the blu-ray.

I'm keeping my expectations at the bare minimum for the special features on the blu-ray... The last few new releases from Disney have been very lackluster, with a small helping of extras with some reserved as "web exclusives" like that surprisingly entertaining King of Kong parody they made for Wreck-It Ralph.

Absolutely loved everything about it. The songs, the characters, the humor, everything. I can't remember the last time a Disney movie connected with me like this in an emotional way.

This is why I love Disney

You know what I'd like to see ? Hayao Miyazaki directing a Disney film. Give him 150$ million and let him run wild. The guy deserves it, and he'd make something magnificent.

Timbuktu

Elsa's confrontation with the guards and Hans, and/or Hans revealing his plot to a desperate Anna, could have been worked into darker, duo musical pieces. Hans + Anna would have been great to follow up from their peachy Love Is An Open Door earlier in the film. The nlpivotal sequence split between Anna, Hans, Kristoff, and Elsa right at the end also could have been worked into a four piece climax, mixing in Hans' taunting Elsa, her despair, Kristoff's adrenalin, that finished with Anna making her choice to freeze and save Elsa (song immediately ending to the silence of her "death" and Elsa's reaction).

I don't think they held back deliberately, but i do suspect that it will get at least one more song and a reprise when Frozen actually hits Broadway, much like the 'He lives in you' song for Lion King, which I really like. Wouldn't surprise me if the songs are there and ready to go, only then will we get the full musical set for Frozen. There is an obvious hole for a villain a song to make Hans more memorable, I agree that a reprise like Jafar's would have fitted quite nicely.

Have they released details on the Broadway adaptation of the film ? When is it supposed to happen ? Can I already buy tickets ? I want to be there for the premier.

Top Bottom