• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

MrNelson

Banned
Went to Walmart last night and saw they had a huge display up with all the starter packs and additional figures right next to the Skylanders figures and packs. I went home and decided to check out some reviews when, lo and behold, I realized that they broke street date. If I wasn't already committed to some very close pre-orders I would have gone back to pick it up, but Project Diva F ranks a bit higher at the moment :p

Frazley

My daughter loved skylanders, and more to the point Toy Story 3. Her birthday was in April and she's been waiting for her 'surprise main present' since! Friday should be fun :)
That is a present I would also gladly wait for! :) She is going to have an awesome time! You rock!

jrcbandit

So are most people excited for it getting it for their kids, or will the character adventures be challenging for adults? Well there is also story box mode which sounds promising.

Also, will the WiiU version be gimped? I am going to sell my Xbox and PS3 once I have the new consoles this fall/winter, so it would be a waste of money to get it for either platform for me.

Pezking

Got the starter pack, the sidekick pack and Violet pre-ordered for Wii U.

No power discs yet. I'm mainly interested in the playsets, not the toy box mode. Nice and relaxing open world gameplay in Pixar/Disney surroundings sounds like a lot of fun.

Can you play the playset mode in offline multiplayer on Wii U?
If so, what controllers are supported for the second player?

Everything is pre-ordered and ready. Picking up two orders from Best Buy now. 5 more items coming in the mail this week. Game tomorrow.

I'm all spent.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone else hitting their local Wal-Mart up at midnight?

Is everything going to be available at Midnight? If so, I'll be there.

E: Cancelled my Amazon Preorder. I plan to go to Target for the playsets, TRU for the game, power disc packs, and one of the sidekicks/villians packs. I will probably get the singles on Amazon still, though.

Fewr

No reviews yet. Final details not answered either. I'm starting to worry much more about this, although my wallet will be happy if I end up not buying this.

So are most people excited for it getting it for their kids, or will the character adventures be challenging for adults? Well there is also story box mode which sounds promising.

Also, will the WiiU version be gimped? I am going to sell my Xbox and PS3 once I have the new consoles this fall/winter, so it would be a waste of money to get it for either platform for me.

I don't believe so. After searching around on the interwebs, it seems like the Wii U version is on par with the PS360 versions, with some extra features. Here's a playthrough that was posted online back in June: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T2n06BfbxY

I just reserved the WiiU version this morning (want to build up that system's library). Since most of the game is build around the figures and toy box, I can't see why the WiiU version would be any less awesome. The only version that are gimped are the Wii and 3DS versions.

Is everything going to be available at Midnight? If so, I'll be there.

E: Cancelled my Amazon Preorder. I plan to go to Target for the playsets, TRU for the game, power disc packs, and one of the sidekicks/villians packs. I will probably get the singles on Amazon still, though.

I have no idea if it will be out on display or not, but even if it's still in the back, I'm going to press them on it. The 18th is the 18th no matter what time it is. Anyone know if Wal-Mart stores have regular managers running night shifts?

I have no idea if it will be out on display or not, but even if it's still in the back, I'm going to press them on it. The 18th is the 18th no matter what time it is. Anyone know if Wal-Mart stores have regular managers running night shifts?

From past expierence some walmarts are bad about it, it varies from store to store. From what I can tell it's pretty much whenever they feel like it.

Fewr

Fom OP
Platforms

PS3, 360, WiiU, Wii, 3DS

It should be noted that the Wii version is allegedly not going to receive updates. The 3DS version has been described by the developers as "kind of like Mario Party" While it does have an NFC base the gameplay is not identical to the console versions.

Wii U does feature off TV play, it does not support pro controller support - via Infinity Facebook

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is strange, Nintendo DE also lists Wii U Pro Controller for this game. And wiimote is not listed. So, how will the 2-4 multiplayer be played ?

That's what I was gonna ask. I'm solely getting this for me and my GF to play but I have no idea how that's gonna work with no pro controller support.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, looks like my request for cancellation didn't go through on Amazon. Delivery estimate is on Tuesday. I don't know if it will be worth me returning things to Amazon and getting it cheaper at TRU or what.

Have you ever pressed them on it? Had them go get it out of the back?

Lol nope, the Walmart people in my city are not very friendly. They do very few midnight releases from my expierence. Mostly huge triple A games and movies. If you live in a smaller town your chances are better since they know that most people rely on them. My city has 350k+ so no one at Walmart really cares. They know that people can go elsewhere to get stuff.

Well, looks like my request for cancellation didn't go through on Amazon. Delivery estimate is on Tuesday. I don't know if it will be worth me returning things to Amazon and getting it cheaper at TRU or what.

Well, even though the delivery estimate is Tuesday I've have some luck with Amazon shipping Sunday-release items on Saturday evening for them to arrive on Monday. No guarantees, though.

You might be able to return it to Walmart, they take all kinds of things back even if they didn't sell it. If it's unopened, I'd say there's a good chance.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Great OT! The only thing you might want to edit is that only Toy Story is a future play set. The others are all just characters for use in the Toy Box.

I went hands on with the game for over an hour last week with producer John Day. Happy to answer any questions!

http://press-start.com.au/2013/08/14/preview-disney-infinity-a-world-of-infinite-possibilities/

Seems silly they wouldn't do Frozen as a playset. Comes out at Christmas time, 2 characters, targeted toward girls, new "fairy tale" movie.

gotee12

http://infinity.disney.com is updating. Looks like we will be able to go ahead and create our accounts soon. It also confirms that the PC version comes out in October of this year and will be free. (Will probably function much like the iPad app).

DisneyInfinity.com said:
Image+1.jpg

Karish

I'm a little confused about the online play. I got it for WiiU FWIW. Can you only play online with friends/people who have invited you or will there be lobby's and matchmaking so you can play with strangers

Strange... but I need this confirmation asap. I asked my brother to pick up 12 exclusive packs on TRU next week, and I do not want to end with 12 Mike's car.... have to tell him to pick just a pack and the rest regulars.

This is what I found. It makes it seem like Mikes new car will be the only LE available.

Also:
Re: All Exclusive TRU Packs will include Mikes Car?

Postby RapturePanic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:05 pm
I cannot imagine at this point that they could contain another exclusive. The TRU ad statement, announcement of 21 discs, as well as Puddin' and I both knowing people that cracked packs open, both containing Mike's car.

http://www.toysrusinc.com/about-us/times-square/special-events/

Disney Infinity Makes Its Debut at Toys“R”Us Times Square
Sunday, August 18 at 8am

Be among the first to purchase* Disney Infinity when it launches at Toys“R”Us Times Square! Disney Interactive’s new video game platform integrates collectible figures featuring beloved characters from The Walt Disney Company and Pixar Animation Studios with an immersive video game experience that allows the characters to come to life and interact together – for the first time ever. A full assortment of Disney Infinity products, including the Lighting McQueen Infinite Crystal Series™ figure and Mike’s Car Power Disc, both found only at Toys“R”Us, will also be available for purchase.

Toys“R”Us Times Square
1514 Broadway at 44th Street
New York, NY

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm really getting second thoughts/cold feet about this game...like...it's not going to be good, and I shouldn't buy it. I dunno, is anyone else? I know this is the OT, and most people here are gonna be psyched for it, but I can't help but feel that a lot of signs for this game point to it being all marketing/hype, and not so great as a game.

Day before release and I still feel like we've hardly seen much of the actual game outside of toybox, and what little I have seen has not been all that great looking. I feel like naturally I've gotten caught in the hype, because I love Skylanders, but I just get the feeling this is not gonna be as good as those games...

Fewr

How big are the figurines?

Edit: I too am getting cold feet. I'm afraid this will end up like that resort game with loads of activities on Wii that turned out mediocre. The physical toys look good though, so there's that at least.

Frazley

I'm really getting second thoughts/cold feet about this game...like...it's not going to be good, and I shouldn't buy it. I dunno, is anyone else? I know this is the OT, and most people here are gonna be psyched for it, but I can't help but feel that a lot of signs for this game point to it being all marketing/hype, and not so great as a game.

Day before release and I still feel like we've hardly seen much of the actual game outside of toybox, and what little I have seen has not been all that great looking. I feel like naturally I've gotten caught in the hype, because I love Skylanders, but I just get the feeling this is not gonna be as good as those games...
I have those doubts at times too. What calms them is a few people on the Disney infinity fans forum I read are playing it. They like it a lot.

Plus, this is the first game to be a corporate priority for Disney. (FastCompany article). Avalanche Software made Toy Story 3's game. John Lasseter is behind this as well.

I dunno, dude. There are plenty of videos out there of the single player play set experiences, some ranging up to 20min of gameplay. But if you honestly believe Skylanders is fun and play this and don't think its fun, I dunno what to tell you. I think Skylanders is a boring game, but I love the toy aspect of it. This at least has worlds I want to revisit having been a fan of most of these franchises. I played Toy Story 3 a few months back to see if I would even be remotely interested in this game and Toy Story 3 was a blast...and that was based off of one IP.

They're showing the Toy Box so much because it's exactly what Skylanders doesn't have and they know its good. I have no interest in creating my own worlds, but I do have an interest in playing the worlds created by gamers.

majorscud

My WiiU copy of Disney Infinity with bonus Mater figure arrived in the mail today from Target. I'm pretty disappointed with some things. The box lists WiiU Pro and Wii Pro controller support, but they are absolutely not supported from what I can tell. Unless you buy a 2nd character for a playset you have, you can only play 2 player in toybox mode, and only toybox mode that allows for 2 players.

I'm not sure if they will all be the same, but my starter power disc was Fix-it Felix. His power was to find more health power ups.

Frazley

I have wanted a Minecraft for PS3 for so long and this looks to be my Minecraft! Building levels/games with Disney IP? YES!!!! I can even build on my iPad once the app is released later this month.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My WiiU copy of Disney Infinity with bonus Mater figure arrived in the mail today from Target. I'm pretty disappointed with some things. The box lists WiiU Pro and Wii Pro controller support, but they are absolutely not supported from what I can tell. Unless you buy a 2nd character for a playset you have, you can only play 2 player in toybox mode, and only toybox mode that allows for 2 players.

So, how can you play 2 players if Wii U Pro is not supported?

majorscud

Hope that's just a glitch. If not, they will have to program it in because it's on the box.

The box has the other controllers listed, but the game itself tells you player 2 needs a Wii Remote and Nunchuk to play.

Despite the negatives my 3 year old does love it. I'm going to run to target tomorrow morning and grab the Cars playset and Lone Ranger playset (I've heard 50% off at Target tomorrow for playsets). I might go to Toys R Us afterwards and try to snag a sidekick pack, villain pack, and 2 power disc packs (I heard buy 1 get 1 40% off character packs at TRU and power discs are buy 1 get 1 for $1 at TRU).

B-Dex

I didn't want to get this but I am falling for the hype. (And figures)

Too bad target doesn't have that 50% playset deal up north :(

Yaari

Does crystal lightning anything more than just a different color skin? Like new powers

Apparently he levels faster, more exp.

As for Wii U. I really hope they patch in that Wii U Pro Controller. It makes no sense that it does not work, when it does on PS360. Hopefully the first patch that comes around, will allow us to use it.

Top Bottom