• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

Yuripaw

Banned
I bet it wouldn't work too hot with the power disks that sit underneath the characters and add abilities.

Yeah, that's another thing I just considered. I have always had the intention that I'd like to just open up the Infinity toys, because I know my nephew will get a kick out of seeing them when he comes to visit. Plus I just don't have the storage space to keep all of em them sealed.

As for these Skylanders...(stares at stack still sealed)...Ugh, why can't I bring myself just to open these! lol

FYI: word is that the rare power discs are 1:8, they come in boxes of 24 packs and there is only one of each rare per box. Lol when retailers put them up on shelves separately that will mix them up a bit! The rare ones might be hard to get ahold of :(

Im mega pumped dor this game since the announcement. Still need to hold strong and buy it when I hit my weight loss goal.

To me, I dont think there are enough playsets announced. Im ready to go all in.

I was just out and about shopping/browsing in stores like Best Buy and Target. And holy shit are they gearing up for this game. The store displays were still bare, as I'm sure they're waiting until the last minute to actually stock the shelves, but man those displays are massive.

Disney is paying out the nose for marketing. And why not? Pachter thinks they stand to make billions on this. Not millions. Billions.

botty

Banned
Disney is paying out the nose for marketing. And why not? Pachter thinks they stand to make billions on this. Not millions. Billions.

Would it be a surprise, though? Disney are legends. And they have another high quality product on their hands. This will probably be the hot toy this Christmas for kids, and it should be. I pray that they get their shit together and make some Kingdom Hearts figures cause then people will definitely be paying out of their asses for this thing.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have been wondering if the market can bear multiple franchises like this out there. Will both Skylanders AND Infinity flourish and sell well, or will one of them take the crown? Will parents draw a line and say "you have to pick one" to their children. That's something I've been really curious about for a while.

I just hope Skylanders doesn't fall out of favor, because I really appreciate what that series has done, and the concept they brought to the table. I also just really like the design of the Skylanders themselves.

It's funny because I haven't seen a single ad for this but when I went into TRU tonight to pre-order the shelf space was huge for this game and they had a big arch Infinity themed. The store was even in a Black Friday type layout. When I left two kids walked in and yelled Infinity and ran to the big archway.

I have been wondering if the market can bear multiple franchises like this out there. Will both Skylanders AND Infinity flourish and sell well, or will one of them take the crown? Will parents draw a line and say "you have to pick one" to their children. That's something I've been really curious about for a while.

I just hope Skylanders doesn't fall out of favor, because I really appreciate what that series has done, and the concept they brought to the table. I also just really like the design of the Skylanders themselves.

My biggest problem with Skylanders is just that the game supporting it isn't very good. Infinity (at least from everything that has been shown) seems to have a TON more thought put into the gameplay side of things.

As much as I shouldn't have I went out to BB and preordered it for the Xbox 360 so I could get an extra figure for free and paid for another figure. Tomorrow I'll hit up target for both the playsets since they will be $17.99 a piece.

My kids don't desire it but what can I say, I like being a good father.... and I'm some what interested in Infinity... and Beyond!

My biggest problem with Skylanders is just that the game supporting it isn't very good. Infinity (at least from everything that has been shown) seems to have a TON more thought put into the gameplay side of things.

It's Activision and more than likely Skylanders is / was only seen as a money maker. With Infinity launching I'm sure Activision will be point on notice if they weren't already. The marketing for Infinity trumped what Skylanders had plus Disney has their stores everywhere, I can see them pushing this. Plus they have Marvel and you know Marvel is more than likely going to make it's way into the game.

As much as I shouldn't have I went out to BB and preordered it for the Xbox 360 so I could get an extra figure for free and paid for another figure. Tomorrow I'll hit up target for both the playsets since they will be $17.99 a piece.

My kids don't desire it but what can I say, I like being a good father.... and I'm some what interested in Infinity... and Beyond!

See, you're coming at this wrong. They do, they just don't know it yet.

Ken

Got a copy from Gamestop since they had some in stock for non-preorders. Also got a free figure and disc too which was nice and unexpected. Unfortunately, and also unexpectedly, they didn't have any figures available except for reservations which was surprising but I guess it's nice on my wallet too.

It's funny because I haven't seen a single ad for this but when I went into TRU tonight to pre-order the shelf space was huge for this game and they had a big arch Infinity themed. The store was even in a Black Friday type layout. When I left two kids walked in and yelled Infinity and ran to the big archway.

I haven't seen any TV ads, either, if that's what you mean. Internet advertising, viral marketing, YouTube vids, Twitter, etc., yes, but not TV ads. Still, it's clear that they are paying big bucks for shelf space, and I'm sure traditional marketing will ramp up as we head closer to Christmas.

It's Activision and more than likely Skylanders is / was only seen as a money maker. With Infinity launching I'm sure Activision will be point on notice if they weren't already. The marketing for Infinity trumped what Skylanders had plus Disney has their stores everywhere, I can see them pushing this. Plus they have Marvel and you know Marvel is more than likely going to make it's way into the game.

You said this and it made me remember something:

Disney Infinity.

And Marvel's latest big comic event is called

Wait for it

Infinity.

I know it's related to Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet thing again, but I was like YO

DISNEY GET ON DAT

Fewr

Soo do you think you guys plan to open up your Infinity toys?

This is one thing as a Skylanders person that I have struggled with a lot...I kept thinking that I should keep them in the plastic, because they worked on the portal anyway, and it keeps their value if they're not opened. However, I really found I just liked looking at them more outside of the packaging! I managed to get over it, and open some of my Skylanders, but I still have some that are wrapped that I want to open, but I still can't bring myself to go through with it.

I wonder if the Infinity toys will even work on their portal device while still being shrink wrapped, since they have those shapes they sit neatly on top of.

Well, you have two options:

So... what prevents someone from using an RFID reader/writer and some blank tags from using any character they want, exactly?

2. Go watch Toy Story 2.

------------------------------
FYI: word is that the rare power discs are 1:8, they come in boxes of 24 packs and there is only one of each rare per box. Lol when retailers put them up on shelves separately that will mix them up a bit! The rare ones might be hard to get ahold of :(
I care about the figurines because they look super cool, but why should I care about disks? they don't seem to do much as far as I know.

XShagrath

Do we know which stores other than TRU and Gamestop are opening early tomorrow for the launch?
Toys R Us is opening early. 8AM is their standard opening time for Sundays. Target will be open at 8AM as well. WalMart is 24 hours, so it may or may not be out then, depending on if the stockers do their jobs or not.

So heads up, the official website updated and the PC version is actually coming in October. But it seems like it's going to be just like the iPad version and just the Toybox, designed as a companion to the main console versions.

https://infinity.disney.com/ways-to-play

So if you were holding out on the PC version, it looks like you'll just want to go ahead and buy the console one now.

I care about the figurines because they look super cool, but why should I care about disks? they don't seem to do much as far as I know.

Well I like the figures too but I want the elephant Abu and dumbo mount, they look really cool! The power discs are going to be a pain but I am a completionist. :)

Bentendo

So I'm curious, how will they get more characters into the game after the second wave? Are there more characters built into the game already post second wave or will they have to be patched in later? If so is the only way to do this through downloading them? I'm just wondering because there are a LOT of characters that they could potentially add to this thing and it could be used as a good marketing tool for upcoming movies...

Best buy manaager told me today he would match the best offer out there (just in case anyone collects rz pts)

Really?? Hmm.

Wait half price for playsets at target? I'm here now and person here heard no such thing nor does display indicate so.

Also, I would be into this but the launch characters are terribad imo. That and I still have little idea how it all works (power disks etc)

XpJeok0.jpg

Fewr

Well I like the figures too but I want the elephant Abu and dumbo mount, they look really cool! The power discs are going to be a pain but I am a completionist. :)
Ah, I see now.

If the RFID thing works, I can see myself making those, or buying a fake set off someone to have them.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Damnit. I want to buy this game tomorrow. But my Amazon pre-order! :| I guess I could buy it from Target while I'm there and return it? Ugh.

E: Chances are, I'll just end up buying everything I can find and returning my doubles via Amazon.

Rootbeer

Banned
Damnit. I want to buy this game tomorrow. But my Amazon pre-order! :| I guess I could buy it from Target while I'm there and return it? Ugh.

Just wait for it to arrive from amazon man... don't put yourself through this :p This game is going to be around for a looong time

I feel ya, I pre-ordered the remaining figures I need from Amazon and forgot to pre-order the game, so at least I'll get to play it after I pick it up tomorrow.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just wait for it to arrive from amazon man... don't put yourself through this :p This game is going to be around for a looong time

Well I'm going to Target and TRU anyways. The discounts and deals are FAR too good to pass up. That's the other thing...I can buy the game tomorrow AND get it for cheaper!

E: Chances are, I'll just end up buying everything I can find and returning my doubles via Amazon.

Dude, I'm sitting here contemplating the same thing. I think I might just buy the base game and some power disk packs and the crystal Lightning McQueen tomorrow morning at TRU, so that I have the game to putz around with, then will return just the game from Amazon to TRU.

Thanati

To be fair, we haven't seen hardly any of the actual gameplay, just the toybox mode. From what I played at E3, the actual game was very drab.

Sanic

I do not at all intend for this post to come off as rude, but it seems like a lot of the hardcore crowd are pretty excited for this and i'm wondering: why?

I think I have a good idea of what the game is like, but do you guys really think there's enough depth here?

Rootbeer

Banned
have we seen enough of the toybox mode to know how it compares to, say, LBP2 or Minecraft in what you can create with it? I've seen some pretty sick levels in LBP2. I'm concerned that the tools are skewing a little on the simplistic side

Yaari

Toybox is definitely legit as far as I'm concerned. Only thing that will remain to bother me if the lack of matchmaking. I'll get tired of inviting friends if I want to mess around for a short bit. And A.I is just boring.

have we seen enough of the toybox mode to know how it compares to, say, LBP2 or Minecraft in what you can create with it? I've seen some pretty sick levels in LBP2. I'm concerned that the tools are skewing a little on the simplistic side

A member of the Toybox team has been making some of his own Toybox tutorials here: http://www.youtube.com/user/cstliddell They show some of the more advanced or undocumented features. I think they're a cool addition to the official videos.

Spiderduff

Ok, I am doing this. I think the best way for me to keep track of this is for you to PM me your number.

So this isn't too easy I will pick a number from 1 to 1000 from Random.org at the conclusion of the contest.

You are allowed to pick 3 numbers and send them my way. If your number is picked by someone else, it cancels out and we go to your remaining numbers that way we dont have a tie. In case you have HORRIBLE luck and lose all your numbers, I am sorry in advance.

Winner will be closest to the number without going over.

I will run this till launch day August 18th at 9am CA time and ship it out Monday. If the winner is international I hope shipping ain't too bad.

All I ask is for you to enjoy it and not resell it. I know you can get a pretty penny for them but do not give in!

Good Luck Everyone!

EDIT: If you guys see a flaw in this let me know, I want to be as fair as possible. Thanks

PRIZE: Sorcerer’s Apprentice Mickey

For anyone that missed it. Little over 24 hours left.

wohomerhoo

Neo Member
Can someone summarize the best launch deals?

I put this together earlier for myself:

Toys R Us Coupon: 20% off 1 single item: (Can be reused on different transactions but not combined with below)
$74.99 Starter is now $59.99

Toys R Us: BOGO 50% off on all Disney Infinity items
$20.98 x 2 (for a total of 4 that are not included in sets/3 packs)

Toys R Us: B1G1 for $1 On All Disney Infinity Power Packs (coins)
$5.99 for 2 packs

Target: Playsets 50% off (Cars and Lone Ranger)
$17.49 x 2 (price match option to TRU or Walmart)

Sam's Club Plus Member Event: Triple Packs (Sidekicks and Villains)
$16.98 x 2

Total: $176.88 (Starter, all characters/sets and 2 disk packs)

Side note: 2 TRU exclusives Crystal McQueen and Mike's Car Power Pack

Karish

Toybox is definitely legit as far as I'm concerned. Only thing that will remain to bother me if the lack of matchmaking. I'll get tired of inviting friends if I want to mess around for a short bit. And A.I is just boring.

This. :(

SickBoy

Anyone have a suggestion as to platform of choice? I have a Wii U, but I'm really considering it mainly for 360 or PS3.

I don't really have a significant preference, although my initial feeling was that maybe 360 would be better due to the opportunity to fully install the game.

Just a mental note for would be buyers:

Where I work, the Violet character appears to be the rarest. We've received only 2 of them out a shipment of 50+ characters.

I'm not sure if this is simply anecdotal, or an indicator of general availability.

Anyone have a suggestion as to platform of choice? I have a Wii U, but I'm really considering it mainly for 360 or PS3.

I don't really have a significant preference, although my initial feeling was that maybe 360 would be better due to the opportunity to fully install the game.

I'm getting it on Wii U. My 360 and PS3 will be leaving my living room soon enough and the Wii U will be around for years to come not to mention the Toybox stuff looks so nice on the gamepad...

Just a mental note for would be buyers:

Where I work, the Violet character appears to be the rarest. We've received only 2 of them out a shipment of 50+ characters.

I'm not sure if this is simply anecdotal, or an indicator of general availability.

Hmm, that is who I pre-ordered as my free one at Gamestop. Hopefully I don't get screwed out of it tomorrow. They also told me that Dash and all of the Cars characters were getting chosen a lot.

I do not at all intend for this post to come off as rude, but it seems like a lot of the hardcore crowd are pretty excited for this and i'm wondering: why?

I think I have a good idea of what the game is like, but do you guys really think there's enough depth here?

I can't wait for it because of my son. He's played the Toy Story 3 game almost every day for 2 months straight, so I know he's going to love this. Personally I'm just going to collect all the figures because it's something I like to do.

As for the gameplay I have no idea, but if it's like Toy Story 3 I wouldn't expect adults to get a ton of enjoyment from it, but it should still be fun. Especially if you play with your kids. Toy Story 3 has a lot of missions and different things to do, but it had bad frame rates and it's fairly buggy.

I'm not too thrilled with the creation mode of Infinity because I'm not at all creative and don't really like doing that stuff anyway, but I am excited to download others' creations and let my son play around in them.

Yaari

Now that the Crystal McQueen is no longer a pre-order item on the website, I am still unable to purchase it for International delivery. Bummer :(.

Top Bottom