• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

Double D

Was kinda put off on not being able to use what character you want in the playsets.

This. I bought it for my kids this morning. Bought the starter set, some discs, that clear Lightning McQueen and the Lone Ranger set. Needless to say I had to go back and buy one of the three pack of figures just because my kids want to play co-op.

They should have something on the box that says co-op will cost an additional $30.

I hear you on the price, and it's definitely on the top side (and I got some good deals today with price matching Wal-Mart...) but I always use the movie theater price as a proxy for value.

I can spend $30 for me and the gf to go to the theater (NYC) for 2 hours... or I spend $30 for 6 hours of entertainment.

Costs me almost $50 with two kids, before concessions even.

Memles

This. I bought it for my kids this morning. Bought the starter set, some discs, that clear Lightning McQueen and the Lone Ranger set. Needless to say I had to go back and buy one of the three pack of figures just because my kids want to play co-op.

They should have something on the box that says co-op will cost an additional $30.

On a practical level, they could argue it would create balance issues: the characters are designed for specific functions tied to in-game missions, such that other characters couldn't realistically complete the same tasks. If you want to mix-and-match characters, the Toy Box games are the way to go (although with no levels available to download you're right that launch day really makes the lack of co-op more problematic).

More cynically: they knew it would force people to spend $30 more than they had initially planned.

B-Dex

I was gonna play more tonight but I'm too afraid to launch the game to see if it killed my 6-hour save.

RIP my save. :(

OH WELL. Guess I will wait for a new patch.

Here is my haul, I forgot that one of my friends was a manager at Toys R Us lol.

9539681554_1f8b65e74f.jpg

that is exactly what I bought, down to the number of disc packs.

If you want to mix-and-match characters, the Toy Box games are the way to go (although with no levels available to download you're right that launch day really makes the lack of co-op more problematic).

So I have to depend on the community to make great co-op levels, the fact that the developers didn't create the game based on mixing characters kinda puts me off purchasing the game. I have no issues with the toy/game model, as I own all the skylanders. But when they sell boosters for in game items, I feel they thought of everything to Nickel and dime the customer. I hope you guys are enjoying the game though.

DarkWish

Is there any way to make the base wireless with an adapter or something? If I could keep it next to my bed and use the GamePad for Off-TV Play, that'd be amazing!

Also, how are you all storing the figures? I'm thinking about getting a case or something to put them in, I don't have much shelf space.

I've been playing for a few hours and loving the Incredibles adventure mode. The Cars one is not bad as well. Haven't even touched the Toy Box yet cause I've really been enjoying the adventures.

Anyway to get pictures on Miiverse? I rarely post when playing so I don't really know how the picture thing works but I can't figure it out. Some of the areas in the POTC playset look great. Took one with my phone to show a friend but it just doesn't do it justice.

SPXY23y.jpg

Oh, and the Wii U version is still running great. Had a system freeze once when I was playing co-op and we both were drifting in the toy box land and rammed each other but other than that absolutely no problems.

B-Dex

As an added bonus. All of my figures are now guests until I reclaim ownership and they get wiped and lose their levels.

DarkWish

Anyway to get pictures on Miiverse? I rarely post when playing so I don't really know how the picture thing works but I can't figure it out. Some of the areas in the POTC playset look great. Took one with my phone to show a friend but it just doesn't do it justice.

SPXY23y.jpg
miiverse.nintendo.net lets you access it on the web and you can find your image that way.

miiverse.nintendo.net lets you access it on the web and you can find your image that way.

I mean I can't even find a way to take a picture of the game on the Wii U just to post it to Miiverse. I'm assuming it's like Blops 2 where I had to go into theater mode to do it.

I mean I can't even find a way to take a picture of the game on the Wii U just to post it to Miiverse. I'm assuming it's like Blops 2 where I had to go into theater mode to do it.

Someone on here said you can't post pictures, you usually hit the home button and go to miiverse to post a screen shot. How does the wii u version run?

Fewr

Hit home button and post a comment on miiverse, the screenshot that appears will be what you were seeing when you pressed home.

Someone on here said you can't post pictures, you usually hit the home button and go to miiverse to post a screen shot. How does the wii u version run?

Frame rate drops now and then but the only place I've actually had a semi-consistent framerate loss was when I was playing Pirates and was in the open ocean shooting at three or four ships. I usually get a little nauseous over frame rate issues but it seems to stay up. Co-op does get some more drops but I'm not sure if it's slightly freezing because we're unlocking stuff or because we're just blowing stuff up all over the place in the Incredibles playset.

JFunky

My haul for the day-
Starter Kit for ps3 with free Dash and power pack
Sidekicks and villains packs from target (price matched Walmart)
Cars playset and 4 power packs from toysrus (price matched the cars pack from target)
Lone Ranger playset from best buy (they had it at 12.99 on their site awhile back)

Haven't opened the power packs yet, didn't download the patch and so far the ps3 version is running ok for me except for some occasional slow down. The kids had a blast with it earlier and my wife and I plan to play some Incredibles tonight. So far the game seems like a ton of fun, can't wait to give the toy box mode a try!

DarkWish

Hit home button and post a comment on miiverse, the screenshot that appears will be what you were seeing when you pressed home.
Just checked. No screenshot image shows up when you do this, unlike other games. Weird that they blocked it, wonder why.

Shadownet

Banned
Now that my little brother went to bed. I can finally enjoy this by myself and just explore stuff without having to wait for him :p

My god this game is great.

I love it. Only downside in graphic is that when there is a lot of coins on the screen, frame rate dropped.

But I'm sure this game will get smoother as updates roll in. This is worth the money.

I hope disney won't be making many variant figures. Just one of each character is enough. I don't need 6 different Mickey Mouse.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Already on the disc. I want this game but the prices are a joke. Can't believe some of you are justifying 30$ for 6 hrs of content, for a playset. I thought sky landers was overpriced, but these guys are using the Disney name to over charge the consumer.
It's not justifying it. And you are a tiny but off in your valuation. $30 gets you:

6-8 hours of content
2 really nicely sculpted figures
Access to all of the playset's goodies in toy box mode. Necessary for creation/use.

Honestly the playset is just a part of the value. I would add in another $5 or so for the toy box content (usually what LBP charges) and then at least another $10 for both of the figures. IMHO when all is said and done the playset itself is really roughly $15 for 6-8 hours of content which is comparable to a download title.

When you post to Miiverse there is usually a screenshot button next to the text box. No button for this community. :/ So no screenshots.

Wii U version runs fine. As someone else said only real noticeable drops so far are POTC on the open sea during combat. And even then it's not bad, just noticeable. IQ kindda sucks though. Playing all of these 1080p games on Wii U it was really weird to go back to 720p. I swear I thought I was playing a Wii game. I'll go ahead and guess though that it's basically same IQ as PS360.

Frazley

They just posted on the Infinity Facebook that the PS3 issues are network issues related to the 1.01 patch. It is not a software issue, but they recommend removing the 1.01 patch and disabling network communications. They said they are working to get this fixed ASAP.

B-Dex

They just posted on the Infinity Facebook that the PS3 issues are network issues related to the 1.01 patch. It is not a software issue, but they recommend removing the 1.01 patch and disabling network communications. They said they are working to get this fixed ASAP.

Won't help. Lost all my progress from today and have to wipe all my figures. Just avoid until a new patch is out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Oh in Hall of Heroes you can get a feel for all of the playsets. My observations

Toy Story
Phineas and Ferb
Frozen
Wreck It Ralph

Also stand alones are
Mickey (sorcerer)
Jack Skellington
Rapunzel

This is off the top of my head.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh in Hall of Heroes you can get a feel for all of the playsets. My observations

Toy Story
Phineas and Ferb
Frozen
Wreck It Ralph

Also stand alones are
Mickey (sorcerer)
Jack Skellington
Rapunzel

This is off the top of my head.

Do the little baby characters have anything to do with the possible future sets? Snow White, various muppets, etc?

It's not justifying it. And you are a tiny but off in your valuation. $30 gets you:

6-8 hours of content
2 really nicely sculpted figures
Access to all of the playset's goodies in toy box mode. Necessary for creation/use.

Honestly the playset is just a part of the value. I would add in another $5 or so for the toy box content (usually what LBP charges) and then at least another $10 for both of the figures. IMHO when all is said and done the playset itself is really roughly $15 for 6-8 hours of content which is comparable to a download title.

When you post to Miiverse there is usually a screenshot button next to the text box. No button for this community. :/ So no screenshots.

Wii U version runs fine. As someone else said only real noticeable drops so far are POTC on the open sea during combat. And even then it's not bad, just noticeable. IQ kindda sucks though. Playing all of these 1080p games on Wii U it was really weird to go back to 720p. I swear I thought I was playing a Wii game. I'll go ahead and guess though that it's basically same IQ as PS360.

Ill probably end up picking this up anyways, still kinda bitter on some of the things. I have a 3 and 5 year old that would play the hell out of it, I just have a collector problem where if I don't have everything released for it, I'll hunt until I do.

Fewr

Just checked. No screenshot image shows up when you do this, unlike other games. Weird that they blocked it, wonder why.

Probably to protect the IPs from getting caught doing "weird" or "inappropriate" stuff for the world to see. Sure, you can take a photo with your phone, so this is where my theory falls apart.

Seem to be having some wonky issues with the Infinity portal with two discs + a character. It keeps beaming the character in & out and re-initializing the discs at random times. Anyone else having similar bugs? May exchange my portal.

Also, reached a point in Mr. Incredible's training that I can't pass. It's a double charge move and every time I do what it says, the game says I did it wrong. Can't progress. Annoying.

ElNino

Most Skylanders single characters (the ones that aren't giants) are $7.99. WAY cheaper.
They started at $7.99 but then went up to $9.99 once they because popular. For Giants, the Giants are $14.99 and the Lightcore figures (non-giants) $12.99. The 3 packs used to be $19.99 but are now $24.99.

Not counting store sales, which do happen often now, I think Skylanders and Infinity figures will be priced pretty close. Especially once Swap Force comes out since I imagine the swappable figures will have a premium price as well (like the Giants do).

Just finished the tutorials! This game is really fun! A thought to Xbox 360 users, installing the game will usually make it run better, it's only 6 gigs.

Fantomex

kids are enjoying the game and they haven't even gotten through the Monsters level. This thing seems really fun and I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. the prices could be a lot cheaper on the figures. Once Star Wars and marvel superheroes come out everybody's gonna be on this crack cocaine.

I'd say the age level for this is more for an advanced 9 year old. 10-13 to be safe. It's not really hand holding like sky landers. It's a pleasure for grown ups doe!

SegaShack

I really hope the game takes off as the idea of all these playsets having different gameplay than one another sounds great. However, I do think that Disney definitely did overprice them. At their parks these prices would be fine but for a retail store I'm not sure how well it will work. This will probably do very well regardless, but you can buy 2 Skylanders for about the price of one Infinity character.

I don't think a lot of kids will be able to constantly get their parents to buy them 14 dollar figures vs 7 dollar figures.

Orca

Picked up both Cars and Lone Rangers play sets and the sidekicks and villains three packs for my daughter. Her seventh birthday is next week, so I'll be hiding them until then. She's going to go crazy though, she's been counting down to 'Infinity day' for about a week.

jwk94

They are doing free shipping on Toys R Us with a pre-order on the Web site of the starter edition. (It's like $7 shipping otherwise)
Would have a loved a tax-free and shipping free deal for regular orders.

The tru packs are a ripoff.
Ugh.

Also will sorcerer mickey be available in bigger quantities? I don't get the rarity with these figures

Sorcerer Mickey was an early gift for D23 and launch event people. He'll be available on store shelves in January. They did state that these early Mickey figures are slightly different from the ones that will be released publicly though.

Chucker

Ugh.

Also will sorcerer mickey be available in bigger quantities? I don't get the rarity with these figures

They're rare? Did you see the pic I posted?

Edit: I have a $5 Reward Zone certificate, I think I'll go to BBUY during lunch and PM either Cars or Lone Ranger down to $12 after my certificate.

How is this for an 8 year old? Reading here, it sounds a little expensive. The one thing Skylanders does right is the content and every character can be used.

Well, it honestly depends on the child. This game is perfect for my children, 12 and 7, who both love the creativity that something like Minecraft offers. They build worlds together on LAN all the time, and my son has been building a "game" in Minecraft for a few months with his little sister helping him out. So if they are more creativity-driven, then it will probably be great. Let's be honest, the Toy Box is where the longevity of the game is.

Now, it does have a very guided experience in each of the playsets, and while I understand that some people are upset that you can't use all the things in any playset, I totally get why it is the way it is from a fictional and developmental standpoint. Lightning McQueen piloting a ship in a sea battle? Nope. The playsets are meant to utilize some unique mechanics, and having them be totally homogeneous and able to work with every character would make the playsets very boring. Regardless of this, the playsets as they stand, do offer a value proposition that is better than some full priced games, and definitely better than almost any other kids-oriented game.

I stand by what I said about the product when it was first announced. The Toy Box is the method in which I can mix all of my favorite Disney things together in order to create crazy scenarios in which people that shouldn't be together are. The kind of thing I would have done as a kid, creating games or plots or stories in which this characters from random things are kit-bashed together by my own imagination.

Ugh.

Wave 2 starts in January. New figures, new discs. If you notice the disc pack, it says Series 1 in the corner.

Additionally, the Sorceror Mickey won't have silver paint on the stars of the regular version. It'll be white. However the D23 Mickey didn't come with a character card, either.

Man, the actual Video Game component of the Infinity experience is just 1000x better than the game part of Skylanders. Even though the figures and stuff cost more (which I still think is more than they should be charging), the actual act of playing the game is just so much more enjoyable. I have had more fun, technical issues and all, playing Infinity for a few hours today than I ever had since owning Skylanders since launch.

Shadownet

Banned
I just logged off. Me and my little brother put in about 4 hours of game time playing just with Me.Incredible and Dash.

And I'm pretty sure we're only about 25% into the game. Each play set is probably going take me at least 10 hours to fully complete if not more. Overall, I wish they were cheaper. Like $20 per play set, and $9 per character? But this is good quality stuff, I never play skylanders before but from what I've seen from other people. This certainly beat skylanders.

Fantomex

People gotta really take advantage of that target offer for playsets at $17.50 This also includes the Villains or Sidekicks 3 packs.

Toys R us at Buy 1 Power Disc Pack for $5, get the second one for $1 Dollar.

People gotta really take advantage of that target offer for playsets at $17.50 This also includes the Villains or Sidekicks 3 packs.

Toys R us at Buy 1 Power Disc Pack for $5, get the second one for $1 Dollar.

I have yet to see the villians or sidekicks for that price. Where do you get those?

RhysD85

Sucks that we have to wait until October for the PC version :(

Also waiting for the recreation of Disney World with Mickey as a playable character! I'd probably actually line up to buy that...

Sucks that we have to wait until October for the PC version :(

Also waiting for the recreation of Disney World with Mickey as a playable character! I'd probably actually line up to buy that...

Just FYI, it's not really a PC version. I mean, it's a program that runs on the PC, sure. But it's just a PC implementation of the iOS thing.

So I've bought figures but I don't know what version to get.

360? PS3? Wii U? Wait for PS4? PS4 would be ideal but who knows if it's coming.

Top Bottom