• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

RhysD85

It definitely sucks there is no real PC version...I mean they can release on every current platform...the disc thing uses USB to connect...it's all there!

Pachimari

Wave 2 starts in January. New figures, new discs. If you notice the disc pack, it says Series 1 in the corner.

Additionally, the Sorceror Mickey won't have silver paint on the stars of the regular version. It'll be white. However the D23 Mickey didn't come with a character card, either.

I'm pretty sure Wave 2 comes out in October? With Phineas and Ferb, Rapunzel, Toy Story and such?

Surfheart

Hmmm, the more I read about Infinity the more I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order.

It seems that the toys themselves are inconsequential to the actual gameplay and I know the Skylanders games are not some pinnacle in game design but the interaction of the toys and the game seem more robust and integral.

More, I just don't think my 4 year old will find it much fun, unless I buy a heap of extra characters he wont be able to swap stuff in and out to his heart's desire and I doubt he will find much fun in the toy box, it sounds like it would be beyond him.

Tiny415

Neo Member
Pictures of what I picked up today.

cB2POpHh.jpg

Received 17 out of the 21 Power Disks

RHqVzx7h.jpg

Missing
Alice’s Wonderland Texture Set,
Rapunzel’s Birthday Sky Skydome,
Dumbo the Flying Elephant,
Abu the Elephant

The rest are on the way. I have to say we are really enjoying it so far. The three included playsets are alot of fun and I am looking forward to the Lone Ranger and Cars later this week. If the rumors that the PC version will let me build worlds inside the Toy Box is true, I am going to love that feature, because the interface will be better, though on the 360 it is fine.

Shadownet

Banned
The villains is listed as sold out online on walmart.com; does that it matter?

I don't think it does. Walmart.com stocks are different from actual stores stocks.

As long as TRU can search up the web page or a flyer from Target or whatever other store with the promotion, 99% of the time they'll price match it for you.

But I would call ahead if you live too far away from a TRU.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm thinking about buying one of those accessories.

Like the binder to store the discs or should I buy the capsule??

What about that large backpack that cost like $40 that can hold like 15 figures, and pretty much everything else too.

If any Gaf have any of those, could you give us your review of them? Recommend it or not?

Thank you!

SegaShack

This does look a lot better than Skylanders. Skylander's should have been a great isometric beat-em-up game but it was ruined by cutscenes that interrupt the game every 20 seconds. Not sure how the sequel is though. When you were actually playing that one it was fun, but the interruptions made it unbearable for me.

Not sad though because the one character I chose to get for the game as a bonus was called Zap, and when I sold the game he ended up being rare so I sold Zap alone for close to 40 bucks.

I'm not sure how the game works with this, but when you use a new character or playset does the game authenticate it on a server first or is it like Skylanders?

edit: Also wanted to ask, to use the toybox servers do you need Xbox Live Gold?
It definitely sucks there is no real PC version...I mean they can release on every current platform...the disc thing uses USB to connect...it's all there!

My assumption is that the reason it is not on PC is due to hackers. Since the game itself has all of the content on it, it would be easy for hackers to look into the files and access characters and playsets that haven't even been released, or announced.

Subxero

I went ahead and picked up all the sets that were available today including the TRU Crystal Lightning and disc booklet with room for the exclusive ones too. Of the 8 power disks packsI ended up with 4 doubles. One being mikes car TRU exclusive, Alice, Ralph, one more I can't recall ATM. I think I may go by TRU in the morning and pick up 6 more packs. I'm thinking I'll steer clear of the TRU gold packs since they seem to be the same thing.

I really enjoyed playing today. Put about 10 hours into the Monsters U. playset. I just can't imagine why some of the classic characters were not included. Like Tarzan, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, or Little Mermaid playsets especially with the release coming up.

Shadownet

Banned
I went ahead and picked up all the sets that were available today including the TRU Crystal Lightning and disc booklet with room for the exclusive ones too. Of the 8 power disks packsI ended up with 4 doubles. One being mikes car TRU exclusive, Alice, Ralph, one more I can't recall ATM. I think I may go by TRU in the morning and pick up 6 more packs. I'm thinking I'll steer clear of the TRU gold packs since they seem to be the same thing.

I really enjoyed playing today. Put about 10 hours into the Monsters U. playset. I just can't imagine why some of the classic characters were not included. Like Tarzan, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, or Little Mermaid playsets especially with the release coming up.

Your booklet that you got at TRU. It can hold up to 30 discs right?

Does it have a slot for Mike's Car?

And what is the other exclusive discs you're talking about? I thought Mike's Car was the only exclusive disc. Not counting the 3 rare ones.

JohngPR

As an added bonus. All of my figures are now guests until I reclaim ownership and they get wiped and lose their levels.

Any one know what the downfall to this is? I bought this for my son and played for a few hours with him on his account and am wondering what this means if I decide to play the game with his figures on my own profile. :p

Spiderduff

I got some great deals today. Saved so much. Target was awesome as far as price matching the villains pack from Walmart. they even gave me $3 off for the inconvenience with the Cars Play set street date issue. Used that with the price match I did so I ended up paying about $12 for it. Great day and loving the game so far. My little brother and I are having a blast!

Subxero

Your booklet that you got at TRU. It can hold up to 30 discs right?

Does it have a slot for Mike's Car?

And what is the other exclusive discs you're talking about? I thought Mike's Car was the only exclusive disc. Not counting the 3 rare ones.

Yeah it holds thirty disks and has a space for Mike's Car. I thought saw that TRU was going to have 10 exclusive disks. The accessories are part of the buy 1 get 1 50% off too. I got it for $5.

Here's the link to the case: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21822866 and the description.

Product Description: A Toys'R'Us Exclusive! Holds a total of 30 Power Discs including 10 TRU exclusives Power Discs Each slot is designed specifically for Wave 1 Power Discs. Motivates trading & collecting Designed to keep Power Discs collection organized. Durable glossy exterior.

JohngPR

Since it took me a while to build my sweet crib with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk, I feel the need to post a picture. :p Please excuse the qualiy of the image...it's a close up of a split screen side of my TV screen :)

I have a Slingshot turret on one look out tower, and a "helipad" for my Tron Recognizer on the other Tower. ;)

Memles

While I don't know how much depth there will end up being in the game, I will admit that buying a sizable amount of content early on (Lone Ranger playset, Violet/Dash) has certainly given the illusion of value. There's nothing like playing a game for a number of hours and feeling like you've barely scratched the surface, a feeling exaggerated in the Toy Box mode where I really have only scratched the surface (having gone through the Mastery Adventures and a couple of normal Adventures).

I've actually only played the Incredibles playset of the four available to me - I had the three figures to go with it, and it's the franchise I have the strongest connection to. And I've come around to liking it a lot: while my initial play experience was marred by the automatic guide system taking any of the challenge out of the generic mission structures, the guide went away and the missions diversified. And once I started throwing Violet and Dash into the mix, the world started to open up a bit more. It's still too easy if I wanted a challenging game, but it's also richer than traditional licensed titles, with a stronger core aesthetic and a focus on charm over trying to follow a storyline through cutscenes (although the idea of a stronger story-based experience would be something I'd like to see in future playsets for other franchises).

I don't know if I yet have a grip on the game's value relative to its cost (although would agree objectively that the MSRPs on this stuff is too high), but I've got the Villains/Partners sets on delayed store pickup so it will be interesting to see how it will shift as I get more figures and as I explore the other playsets.

I think the limitless possibilities of the toy box mode with I believe being able to play other people's creations is really going to add value to this game in the long run!

DodgerSan

Hmmm, the more I read about Infinity the more I'm thinking about cancelling my pre-order.

It seems that the toys themselves are inconsequential to the actual gameplay and I know the Skylanders games are not some pinnacle in game design but the interaction of the toys and the game seem more robust and integral.

More, I just don't think my 4 year old will find it much fun, unless I buy a heap of extra characters he wont be able to swap stuff in and out to his heart's desire and I doubt he will find much fun in the toy box, it sounds like it would be beyond him.

You can always make easy stuff for him.

When LBP 1 came out my daughter loved sack boy, but the game itself was a bit tough for her. So I made a level with some basic platforming and buttons that revealed letters of her name when you jumped on them. From what I've seen of toy box it can easily handle this sort of stuff, and if he's into the characters you can make something that's a learning tool too.

Pezking

As long as I'm only interested in playing the playset campaigns, there's absolutely no point in buying power discs, right?

Can I download toy box creations of other people, even if they use power discs I don't own myself?

ahm998

Still can't believe this get 8.7 from IGN & The wonderful 101 get 7.4.

I am shocked after Rich left IGN nintendo.

by the way i will give this game a try.

Surfheart

You can always make easy stuff for him.

When LBP 1 came out my daughter loved sack boy, but the game itself was a bit tough for her. So I made a level with some basic platforming and buttons that revealed letters of her name when you jumped on them. From what I've seen of toy box it can easily handle this sort of stuff, and if he's into the characters you can make something that's a learning tool too.

Somehow I don't think the easy stuff I could make for him would hold his interest next to something like the giants campaign that he loves.

AGoodODST

Any WiiU impressions?

Also, to play co-op do you need two different figures? So say I just bought the Starter pack, would I not be able to play Pirates in multiplayer unless I bought the Barbossa figure or whatever?

Does anyone have an extra Crystal Variant Lightning McQueen they'd be willing to part with? I'm in Australia and my only option currently is to pay premium on eBay to scalpels. I can front costs, including Postage and Handling. I was just looking for a more reasonable price.

Thanks guys. Send me a PM.

ReaperXL7

Hoe come I can only upload Disney's ToyBox creations? Where are the user creations?

All user generated stuff goes through disneys submission process, so i imagine since the game is not "offically" out yet, they likely are not putting UGC up yet. Might not even be going through submissions yet if there are any.

Everything made by players has to go through them first though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How is this for an 8 year old? Reading here, it sounds a little expensive. The one thing Skylanders does right is the content and every character can be used.
I wouldn't worry about this. I was talking a out this exact thing with my wife. For me as an adult it was only a lot to take in because I was trying to understand everything right from the start. The game doesn't really work well like that (toy box that is). It works better to just "do stuff". Delete this here. Move this there. Add a thing. I wanted all of the instructions right away whereas an 8 year old they are going to show how to add a world piece an they are probably going to go right into adding like 20 world pieces.

RobbieNick

All user generated stuff goes through disneys submission process, so i imagine since the game is not "offically" out yet, they likely are not putting UGC up yet. Might not even be going through submissions yet if there are any.

Everything made by players has to go through them first though.

Seriously? That's got to take forever!

RhysD85

My assumption is that the reason it is not on PC is due to hackers. Since the game itself has all of the content on it, it would be easy for hackers to look into the files and access characters and playsets that haven't even been released, or announced.

I'm still up in the air about the PC version actually, the website does say stuff about the Toy Box on PC and iPad, but then if you scroll down it says "PC GAME COMING OCTOBER 2013" https://infinity.disney.com/en-au/ways-to-play#mobile

XShagrath

I'm still up in the air about the PC version actually, the website does say stuff about the Toy Box on PC and iPad, but then if you scroll down it says "PC GAME COMING OCTOBER 2013" https://infinity.disney.com/en-au/ways-to-play#mobile
The PC version is just going to be the Toy Box, not the full game. So you'll be able to create (and probably download) levels this way.

When you put in one of the web codes, it says "You have successfully unlocked [Insert Character Name]! You can play with this character in the PC and iPad versions of DISNEY INFINITY."

This same message is given when you use the code from a playset, meaning that the actual playset does not unlock, and just the characters.

Amneisac

I don't get the power discs. I really see them only as collectibles and they are way too expensive for that. With something like a rare figure in this or Skylanders I can see how it's worth going after if you have a strong connection with the character, but what boils down to at least $2.50 for a toy box item seems like a blatant ripoff to me. I can't imagine many people would pay $2.50 to drive Mikes New Car in toy box mode if it were DLC instead of a little coin thing.

My point is I'm not impressed with the present implementation of the power discs and I will be skipping them without feeling like I'm missing out, which I guess is a relief.

XShagrath

I don't get the power discs. I really see them only as collectibles and they are way too expensive for that. With something like a rare figure in this or Skylanders I can see how it's worth going after if you have a strong connection with the character, but what boils down to at least $2.50 for a toy box item seems like a blatant ripoff to me. I can't imagine many people would pay $2.50 to drive Mikes New Car in toy box mode if it were DLC instead of a little coin thing.

My point is I'm not impressed with the present implementation of the power discs and I will be skipping them without feeling like I'm missing out, which I guess is a relief.

I like the power discs with the added health and money, although I'm not sure how much you'd actually need them with this game. I'm a sucker for Disney and collectibles, so I'll catch 'em all anyways though, regardless of how much they help with in-game stuff.

is there a list somewhere, what you'll have to buy seperately to get what in the toy box? and I don't mean the power discs, more like what items you will get with what character and what playset

Fewr

I'm 100% with you on this. I really don't see the appeal of those at all (at least not yet).

XShagrath

is there a list somewhere, what you'll have to buy seperately to get what in the toy box? and I don't mean the power discs, more like what items you will get with what character and what playset
I believe the Prima strategy guide has a list of all that stuff, but I'm not gonna spend $20 on that when the information will probably be readily online sometime next week.

Top Bottom