• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
So frozen, toy story and phineas and ferb are playsets and the rest standalone?

Would have loved a Tangled playset :(

The Nightmare Before Christmas playset would have been freaking dynamite... can't believe they won't consider that for the next run.

I would also like to see more Park based playsets.

Foshy

So frozen, toy story and phineas and ferb are playsets and the rest standalone?

Would have loved a Tangled playset :(
A few dumb questions here which may have already been answered, sorry:

I was under the impression that each character had an individual campaign tailored to them, does it not work like that?

Let's say I buy Rapunzel which is not in a playset as you say, can I only play her in Toy Box mode?

Also, what if I buy a sidekick, like for example Mike? Is the campaign the same as it would have been with Sully?

B-Dex

+1 Tangled playset, I hope they do one someday.

Here's a weird question. Is there any way to disable the "Crazy Taxi arrow" in the playsets?

When you take missions you can hit OK or Show Me (on PS3 show me is Square and OK is Triangle.) Selecting OK activates the mission with no arrows.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

I was under the impression that each character had an individual campaign tailored to them, does it not work like that?
each character has an Adventure in Toy Box. Not sure exactly what that means, but the way I read/saw it that's what it looked like.

Let's say I buy Rapunzel which is not in a playset as you say, can I only play her in Toy Box mode?
So yes, you'll be able to use her either in Toy Box mode, or her Adventure mode.

Also, what if I buy a sidekick, like for example Mike? Is the campaign the same as it would have been with Sully?

like 95% yes. There are some areas that I believe are possibly locked (though not much I've found) and then challenges that are locked. And collectibles that are locked. If you are REALLY not wanting to play through the playsets more than once.. and most aren't going to like this.. best to just grab all the characters for the campaign right away and swap them in when you come to a spot for them.

Foshy

Thanks for answering! :)

each character has an Adventure in Toy Box. Not sure exactly what that means, but the way I read/saw it that's what it looked like.

So yes, you'll be able to use her either in Toy Box mode, or her Adventure mode.
Alright, that's great then. Was worried for a second here.

like 95% yes. There are some areas that I believe are possibly locked (though not much I've found) and then challenges that are locked. And collectibles that are locked. If you are REALLY not wanting to play through the playsets more than once.. and most aren't going to like this.. best to just grab all the characters for the campaign right away and swap them in when you come to a spot for them.
I see. Kind of a bummer, but understandable. So a playset is basically the campaign for all characters that belong to the same pack/series?

Memles

Basically, with all of the characters who don't have playsets, Avalanche is making them one single mission in their "world": each of the existing characters, for example, have their own character-specific adventure to go along with the generic race/defense/etc. missions available.

So for characters without playsets, you're getting one mission and the ability to use them in Toy Box mode (and, depending on how those adventures are set up, potentially some textures/items for use in Toy Box mode, although that's speculation given that there are not characters without playsets beyond the exclusive Mickey at this time).

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING

Each character has an adventure, not a campaign. The adventures are just character specific levels you can access through your travel menu - for example, Jack Sparrow's personal adventure is a platforming thing where he tries to grab as a many Yellow Infinity Collectible Orb Thingies as he can in a given time limit. Each character has their own adventure, and it's just a singular small quest/level/challenge. It's not like the playsets, which are functionally 4-6 hour games onto themselves. I believe you get Infinity Vault spins for getting medals in each character's adventure, but don't expect it to be a source of unending fun or anything.

Playsets are franchise specific games that span 4-6 hours. You can replay them with any character from that franchise in order to easily level that character up (quests reward more sparks more regularly than just bashing enemies typically does). So if you complete, say, Monster's Inc and then buy Randall you can replay Monster's Inc with Randall to get him up to 15. However, it's the same quests and the same story and the same areas. The only difference is A) You can unlock character specific treasure boxes with your new character which give unique items, and B) You can engage in character specific challenge levels in the playset.

It seems (though they're not out yet so it's impossible to confirm) that characters without a playset might get their own special treasure boxes in the toybox? I've run into treasure boxes for Venelope and that lady from Frozen in the toybox, but I can't tell if that's how you get items for playset-less characters or if it's just a crass way of advertising future toys.

TLDR: Yes, Rupunzel, when she's available, will have a short adventure challenge level and can be used in any Toy Box mode levels or creation modes but NOT in playsets. Characters from franchises can be used in their respective playsets, but the playset is generic and doesn't vary much between characters outside of a few challenges and unlockables.

borghe

Can anyone confirm if doing show me gets you less points? Or is it the same all around.

Same all around. Hitting X (on WiiU) isn't really hardcore mode or anything.

Essentially you get the crazy taxi arrow for your active quest. They give you the X option so that if you are in the middle of an active quest, merely accepting a new quest won't change your waypoint marker.

But as others have said, you can kind of use this like a "hardcore mode" by simply accepting all quests with X (again on Wii U) and then finding everything on your own.

OK I now own a lone ranger and cars playset from target at half price, only 1 car playset left there now.

Got sticker shock at the $75 for base game, so wanted to check for any deals before buying.

-edit Ah I see best buy gives you a freebie if u buy starter kit

So I did some thinking last night and I'm worried the IP-restricted stuff is going to manifest to be one of the bigger design flaws.

I'm fairly certain the technical boundaries are slim, and it's mainly Disney being Disney, which is to say VERY controlling of their IPs. They have many clauses and restrictions about characters and their worlds. Honestly, I (and people I know who worked at Disney) am still surprised Infinity made it this far!

That being said, here's why I'm worried. In Skylanders, you have one mega-campaign with incentives to use multiple figures. Different enemy types, different areas to unlock, lots of pieces to engage with spread across multiple types of figures. This enables you to, for the most part, level up a few different characters across multiple disciplines. You'll always gravitate to your favorites, but chances are you'll have a favorite from each element.

Infinity, on the other hand, never actually requires you to "PLAY" with additional play set characters, just use them to unlock toy box toys from vaults. I've finished the story in The Incredibles play set, and Mr. Incredible is now level 8. My buddy played with me as Dash for a bit and is now level 4. However Violet, Mrs. Incredible and Syndrome are all level 0. What incentive do I have to level them up? How would I do it without replaying the Incredibles play set multiple times or using them an extreme amount in Toy Box? I basically don't have a real use for the extra characters, as much as I wish I did.

Not being able to take the characters you invested in across play sets makes sense from Disney's strict IP perspective, but it negates one of the best parts of Skylanders, having an absolute favorite that travels with you the entire journey. I'm worried that while soloing this game across multiple playsets (or having a co-op buddy play, which is rare), I will only ever level up the main character I use.

This makes the Bronze/Silver/Gold statues in Hall of Heroes a little crazy too. How are you supposed to get every character to gold? Replay their play sets?

The game is still a lot of fun, and I enjoy its seemingly unlimited potential, but I'm worried that the extra figures don't actually pose the amount of variety that Skylanders do, and that's unfortunate.

TL;DR - Infinity's multiple character concept is kinda broken

Foshy

Each character has an adventure, not a campaign. The adventures are just character specific levels you can access through your travel menu - for example, Jack Sparrow's personal adventure is a platforming thing where he tries to grab as a many Yellow Infinity Collectible Orb Thingies as he can in a given time limit. Each character has their own adventure, and it's just a singular small quest/level/challenge. It's not like the playsets, which are functionally 4-6 hour games onto themselves. I believe you get Infinity Vault spins for getting medals in each character's adventure, but don't expect it to be a source of unending fun or anything.

Playsets are franchise specific games that span 4-6 hours. You can replay them with any character from that franchise in order to easily level that character up (quests reward more sparks more regularly than just bashing enemies typically does). So if you complete, say, Monster's Inc and then buy Randall you can replay Monster's Inc with Randall to get him up to 15. However, it's the same quests and the same story and the same areas. The only difference is A) You can unlock character specific treasure boxes with your new character which give unique items, and B) You can engage in character specific challenge levels in the playset.

It seems (though they're not out yet so it's impossible to confirm) that characters without a playset might get their own special treasure boxes in the toybox? I've run into treasure boxes for Venelope and that lady from Frozen in the toybox, but I can't tell if that's how you get items for playset-less characters or if it's just a crass way of advertising future toys.

TLDR: Yes, Rupunzel, when she's available, will have a short adventure challenge level and can be used in any Toy Box mode levels or creation modes but NOT in playsets. Characters from franchises can be used in their respective playsets, but the playset is generic and doesn't vary much between characters outside of a few challenges and unlockables.

Ok, now that definitely clears everything up. Thanks :)

How important are the card packs and why do you need them?

I only really care about playing the game playsets exploring and single player, I dont need to collect every last point or coin or whatever collection games there are

Can anyone tell me about the owning of a character? In other words when you own it you can level it up etc. So if another member of the family wants to use that character and also have their own stats do they need to erase the other players?

cheapsuit

Neo Member
Against better judgement (my wife and I are big Disney fans and I knew we could okay if I stayed away from it but we failed), we picked up the starter pack and the Lone Ranger at Target last night.

Kudos to whomever posted the info about the three packs being $15 at walmart. I grabbed those this morning.

And Target restocked the Cars pack, so I picked that up.

I may not necessarily feel good about dropping the cash, but I certainly feel better with all the sales.

Now, just to cash in some of Disney Visa Disney dollars and order the stragglers through Disney directly.

Chucker

Gotta figure out which Playset I want to get after PM'ng Target at Best Buy and using a $5 RZ cert, making either Cars or Lone Ranger $12.

I saw some gameplay being streamed of Lone Ranger, and it looked neat, but I've seen next to nothing about Cars. Anybody have any impressions, or reasons to pick one over the other?

Campster

How important are the card packs and why do you need them?

I only really care about playing the game playsets exploring and single player, I dont need to collect every last point or coin or whatever collection games there are

Card packs? Like, the cards you get with each figure? Or the power disks and hexagons? Or the various collections of things you unlock through the Disney Infinity Vault?

Card packs? Like, the cards you get with each figure? Or the power disks and hexagons? Or the various collections of things you unlock through the Disney Infinity Vault?

oh man its worse than I thought lol

I meant the card packs that are in target for $5. I think its the ones someone said a "douche" checked before buying in a gamestop

Gorki247

@matthewrex Replaying the playset with additional characters will give you more toys. There are chests that only Mrs Incredible can open for instance. Also, upgrading characters earns you more spins. So by upgrading all characters to L8, you'll have more spins to win toys in the toybox.

Campster

oh man its worse than I thought lol

I meant the card packs that are in target for $5. I think its the ones someone said a "douche" checked before buying in a gamestop

The power disks/hexagons are blind-box collectibles (you never know what you're gonna get) and are sold in packs of two. They come in three flavors:

1. Abilities/Buffs. They're the red circular ones. You place them under your character and they get a bonus - right now the two that are available are Fix-It-Felix's health buff and Bolt's damage buff. These are the only ones that matter to/can be used in playsets.

2. Aesthetic hexes. These repaint the toybox world in some way. They come in two varieties - item and skybox. Item ones reskin the ground and various other objects to fit the 'tone' of the property on the hex - for example, Nemo's item reskin paints the ground with aquarium pebbles. Skybox hexes are more ambient - they set the music for the toybox and change the skybox. I have the Alice in Wonderland skybox, and it has those sketchy trees and Caterpillar's smoky letters drifting up out of them, and plays the Unbirthday song occasionally. Again, these are Toy Box only.

3. Item hexes. Mostly vehicles and weapons - Carl's cane from Up or Mulan's horse Kahn or Dumbo or the Buzz Lightyear ride cart. Plop these hexes down in any Toy Box level and it will summon the item in question.

They're fun to collect, I guess, and the abilities ones can help make challenges easier (which in turn makes unlocking medals/Infinity Vault spins easier). But they're largely optional. I'd look at the the website and see if you'd care about getting any of the items, abilities, or paint jobs that are out now. At $5 a pop, that's $2.50 per disk (although Toys 'R Us might still have a buy-one-get-one-for-$1 sale going on). So they're not cheap, and you don't know what you're getting. But anyone who digs collectibles or plans to spend a lot of time in the Toy Box would probably like them.

The power disks/hexagons are blind-box collectibles (you never know what you're gonna get) and are sold in packs of two. They come in three flavors:

1. Abilities/Buffs. They're the red circular ones. You place them under your character and they get a bonus - right now the two that are available are Fix-It-Felix's health buff and Bolt's damage buff. These are the only ones that matter to/can be used in playsets.

2. Aesthetic hexes. These repaint the toybox world in some way. They come in two varieties - item and skybox. Item ones reskin the ground and various other objects to fit the 'tone' of the property on the hex - for example, Nemo's item reskin paints the ground with aquarium pebbles. Skybox hexes are more ambient - they set the music for the toybox and change the skybox. I have the Alice in Wonderland skybox, and it has those sketchy trees and Caterpillar's smoky letters drifting up out of them, and plays the Unbirthday song occasionally. Again, these are Toy Box only.

3. Item hexes. Mostly vehicles and weapons - Carl's cane from up or Mulan's horse Kahn or Dumbo. Plop these hexes down in any Toy Box level and it will summon the item in question.

They're fun to collect, I guess, and the abilities ones can help make challenges easier (which in turn makes unlocking medals/Infinity Vault spins easier). But they're largely optional. I'd look at the the website and see if you'd care about getting any of the items, abilities, or paint jobs that are out now. At $5 a pop, that's $2.50 per disk (although Toys 'R Us might still have a buy-one-get-one-for-$1 sale going on). So they're not cheap, and you don't know what you're getting. But anyone who digs collectibles or plans to spend a lot of time in the toybox would probably like them.

oh awesome thanks for the clarification, I wont use toy box I dont think so its safe to just avoid these.

Has anyone else with the Wii U version noticed the sluggishness when switching between build and spark mode? Really frustrating. I played around this morning using the gamepad on off-tv mode and the unresponsiveness was gone.

Not particularly thrilled with the Wii U version.

borghe

This makes the Bronze/Silver/Gold statues in Hall of Heroes a little crazy too. How are you supposed to get every character to gold? Replay their play sets?

The game is still a lot of fun, and I enjoy its seemingly unlimited potential, but I'm worried that the extra figures don't actually pose the amount of variety that Skylanders do, and that's unfortunate.

TL;DR - Infinity's multiple character concept is kinda broken

my response to all of this.... baby steps. I don't disagree with ANYTHING you say, but on the other hand also like you said this is a HUGE deal for disney. This is a company that typically does NOT mix worlds. I mean even look at their previously most successful cross-brand product. Kingdom Hearts. Aside from Mickey, Donald and Goofy, (and some of the villains I guess), ALL brands were locked into their worlds.

What I would love to see for Infinity 2 is exactly that.. A Skylanders style mega game that you can now use your 20+ characters for, and then continue the playset concept (externally?) where playsets are locked to franchise characters.

I mean really this is the ONLY alternative.. Unless they are truly just abandoning previous waves, which makes NO sense. And as has been pointed out.. Apparently the only other set for Infinity 1 coming out is Toy Story. Which means there are going to be a ton of figures without a franchise place to play (Phineas and Ferb, Frozen, etc). I can't believe they are just going to leave those all up to the whim of the Toy Box past Infinity 1.

Amneisac

Has anyone else with the Wii U version noticed the sluggishness when switching between build and spark mode? Really frustrating. I played around this morning using the gamepad on off-tv mode and the unresponsiveness was gone.

Not particularly thrilled with the Wii U version.

Well, the 360 has frame rate issues as well. Playing the Cars Play Set co-op I feel like we're getting about 15fps, but I don't have a way of actually measuring it. I really wish it would get a PC release. I don't mean to port beg, I've already bought it on 360, but it really, really drags in co-op (maybe it's better on other playsets).

So any consensus on which version is the version to get? 360? PS3? Wii U? Or wait for the possibility of a PS4 version?

OK I now own a lone ranger and cars playset from target at half price, only 1 car playset left there now.

Got sticker shock at the $75 for base game, so wanted to check for any deals before buying.

-edit Ah I see best buy gives you a freebie if u buy starter kit

It's 20% off at Toys R Us with an online printable coupon. I think that's the best deal.

my response to all of this.... baby steps. I don't disagree with ANYTHING you say, but on the other hand also like you said this is a HUGE deal for disney. This is a company that typically does NOT mix worlds. I mean even look at their previously most successful cross-brand product. Kingdom Hearts. Aside from Mickey, Donald and Goofy, (and some of the villains I guess), ALL brands were locked into their worlds.

Totally. What I would love to see for Infinity 2 is exactly that.. A Skylanders style mega game that you can now use your 20+ characters for, and then continue the playset concept (externally?) where playsets are locked to franchise characters.

I mean really this is the ONLY alternative.. Unless they are truly just abandoning previous waves, which makes NO sense. And as has been pointed out.. Apparently the only other set for Infinity 1 coming out is Toy Story. Which means there are going to be a ton of figures without a franchise place to play (Phineas and Ferb, Frozen, etc). I can't believe they are just going to leave those all up to the whim of the Toy Box past Infinity 1.

To me, the logical next step is exactly that. A new, original story akin to Skylanders; "A new big bad guy that causes the heroes and villains of the Disney Universe to work together to defeat it". Maybe it's something like Malificent or Zerg working together, who knows. Essentially what I'd like to see is a core, shared story that will let these toys function more like Skylanders.

Play Sets could still be sold separately, and treated the same as they are now, just secondary. Play Sets could be seen as DLC, additional stories for the respective characters to play through. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this for the next game.

@matthewrex Replaying the playset with additional characters will give you more toys. There are chests that only Mrs Incredible can open for instance. Also, upgrading characters earns you more spins. So by upgrading all characters to L8, you'll have more spins to win toys in the toybox.

I understand that, but it just lacks real incentive. You don't need to "play" with the characters as much as put them on the portal long enough to unlock the chest. As far as leveling for spins, at that point it's just a grinding game, which I feel doesn't really need to be introduced here, there's a lot of content to work through.

Right now if I want to level up Syndrome to the cap (what is the cap?), I think I'd need to completely restart The Incredibles play set and do it again…right?

So any consensus on which version is the version to get? 360? PS3? Wii U? Or wait for the possibility of a PS4 version?

It's 20% off at Toys R Us with an online printable coupon. I think that's the best deal.

It sounds like all 3 have their issues. I can only speak for the Wii U version.
  • Looks good, gameplay is generally around 30 fps.
  • FPS does drop in certain toybox situations.
  • Switching between spark and the two build modes is SLOW when using the gamepad as a second screen. No slowdown when only using the gamepad in off-TV mode.
  • No support for the pro controller or classic gamepad, despite the existence of their logos on the back of the box.
  • Had a few game freezes Sunday. None so far today. Maybe just day 1 server issues?

It's a fun game and I'm enjoying it, but I think the Wii U version needed some more polish before heading out the door. Hopefully another patch (already have a day 1 patch) will resolve some of these issues.

Someone has confirmed that there is no playset in this second wave, after Toy Story. Phineas and Ferb, Frozen and Wreck It Ralph should be stand alone figures, not playset, even dispite there are two figures from the same film/series. Which I found a let down. Having to wait a year for Infinity 2 to introduce new sets will be a long wait.

Source?

4Scarr

Banned
This is what I am running into my son is playing characters under his profile on wii u and when I log in with my profile and try and use same characters it asks me to take ownership and doing that erases what's on there

Can anyone tell me about the owning of a character? In other words when you own it you can level it up etc. So if another member of the family wants to use that character and also have their own stats do they need to erase the other players?

jwk94

So how are the other playsets? Do they feel like DLC or like something that's actually apart of the game with as much content as the starter sets?

oh great thanks a lot! Glad I didnt rush into paying full price!

Jrs3000

I don't see a 20% coupon that's valid for August. Where are you finding it at?

Chairhome

I want to mention that when i tried to use the TRU 20% coupon on my pre-order, the employee said she would try it, but she said all items were marked as "promotion" during the beginning of the week, so the coupon didn't work. but it could have just conflicted with the free figure.

I think most people have opted WiiU or a HD twin version because those are the ones that'll get continued support, the wii version won't get updates which might leave wii players in the lurch if they plan on doing any massive updates to the game. That said am I little curious as to how they got Infinity working on the Wii, I assume it's just the same game but a bit less graphically impressive
What's an HD twin?

I currently have an unopened PS3 version thinking that it will be backwards compatible in the PS4. But I can exchange it for a wiiU version if I have to

gotee12

Haven't posted the Google spreadsheet for trading in a while. Quote this post to see it between the email tags...

Terrordactyl, would it be possible/worthwhile to add this to the OT?

borghe

What's an HD twin?

I currently have an unopened PS3 version thinking that it will be backwards compatible in the PS4. But I can exchange it for a wiiU version if I have to

if that's what you are worried about, trade it. No PS4 BC. Wii U version runs perfectly fine. Only wish they would let us use the Pro Controller (and damn it enable screenshots on the Miiverse community)

Top Bottom