• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

B-Dex

That's weird. All you're characters "XP" is saved to the figure itself (Via the NFC Chip )versus a traditional save file?

If you giveaway/sell/trade a figure you will in essence lose that character and it's stats.

I didn't know this about the figures before but It looks like there is a lot of swapping to play characters.

If I wanted to play as Mickey Mouse, I would have to have the figure on the base.
I couldn't say buy 20 toys and have them all loaded up and ready to go?

No you just swap them on the base when you want to swap.

RobbieNick

So how does the saving work? I know you have a save for every world. Reason I ask is my kids woke up and their auto saves overwrote what I had. But the character levels were still high so there has to be an global save too right?

Like Skylanders, saving is probably done straight to the character itself.

EDIT: NM Read a little further ahead robbie!

As I mentioned, data stored on the figures is: console/save lock (i.e. the game/system that currently has ownership of the figure), experience and level, and in-game money (I believe. or maybe spins)

Oh that's interesting. I had no idea they stored data on the figures.

DLC implies they're downloaded; it's pretty clear all of the content is on-disk.

There's already plenty of examples of current games where the DLC already has the content on the disc and the DLC you purchase is just unlocking it. So there's nothing new about that aspect here.

Plus while the current released stuff is on the disk, future stuff won't be is my understanding. Either way, like DLC, you're paying to unlock new content. Except in this case you're buying a physical figure or disc that does it.

JohnnyVDollarSigns.jpg

That sums it up exactly!

I played probably 4 or 5 hours of this game last night and really enjoyed it, and I've been thinking about it all day at work. Can't wait to get home and play more. I've been trying for a long time to find a game that my wife can get in to (her videogame knowledge begins and ends with the first Sonic the Hedgehog game), and this seems to fit the bill. She doesn't want to actually play, but she enjoys watching. For the record, we don't have kids, so I'll mostly be playing this game solo.

Watched some video from the Cars playset and I'm tempted to go grab that while it's cheap at Target. Anyone played any of it? Impressions?

AGoodODST

Caved and ordered the Starter Pack, Side Kick pack and the Lone Ranger set aswell as a few of the disk packs. Not a fan of Cars so I'm leaving that one. Rather looking forward for the 23rd now!

I do have one other concern though that maybe some of you that have the game can clear up. Since lots of the tools are locked up in that roulette thing, can you end up missing important toys? I'd hate to be stuck without say, the side scrolling camera etc.

I really wanted the D23 Sorcess Aprentice Mickey but ebay prices are really high. Does anyone here has one that is willing to sell for a reasonable price? PM me.

The assets have been decrypted for the game. There's nothing coming out for it that hasn't been announced yet. So what you have today and saw at D23 is what you are getting.

The assets have been decrypted for the game. There's nothing coming out for it that hasn't been announced yet. So what you have today and saw at D23 is what you are getting.

That's a lot of figures without playsets. I don't know how smart of a call that is, because that's a big part of the game for me.

Memles

Caved and ordered the Starter Pack, Side Kick pack and the Lone Ranger set aswell as a few of the disk packs. Not a fan of Cars so I'm leaving that one. Rather looking forward for the 23rd now!

I do have one other concern though that maybe some of you that have the game can clear up. Since lots of the tools are locked up in that roulette thing, can you end up missing important toys? I'd hate to be stuck without say, the side scrolling camera etc.

If you build up 16 spins, and shuffle until you get a board with a particular item you want on it, you can guarantee you will get that item. So if you really want the sidescrolling camera (for obvious reasons), you can get it.

It's a mechanism that for the moment I don't find annoying since I don't have time to dive into the creativity tools. But that there isn't some sort of system in which you can access specific tools with spins (perhaps paying Two Spins to get a particular item on a board) is a bummer.

AGoodODST

If you build up 16 spins, and shuffle until you get a board with a particular item you want on it, you can guarantee you will get that item. So if you really want the sidescrolling camera (for obvious reasons), you can get it.

It's a mechanism that for the moment I don't find annoying since I don't have time to dive into the creativity tools. But that there isn't some sort of system in which you can access specific tools with spins (perhaps paying Two Spins to get a particular item on a board) is a bummer.

Ah, that doesn't sound as bad as it could have been then.

Dragoshi1

Holy hell, even something like a camera view is locked behind random spins? Some of the choices they've made in this game are really out there

Agreed, I was gonna sit and create a 2D action platformer resulting in a top down shooter sequence, but the cameras and a lot of the tools I wanted to use aren't unlocked from the start.

Ah well, at least I unlock the stuff in the playsets. I did all of the adventures as Randall already, Sumo is so much fun.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Wow fuck that. Was it that way in skylanders?

yes, this is how it is done in Skylanders. Yes for families with multiple saves/profiles (like Wii U, 360) it is a pain.

As for lots of "single characters" coming out, my guess is that Disney is REALLY counting on a lot of high quality toy box levels coming from the community for the time being. On top of that, myself and others are believing that Infinity 2 (or whatever) will be be/offer a more traditional Skylanders-like experience, allowing you to swap characters in and out of the game, etc. I mean it's the only logical answer, because as-is, the single characters don't hold a lot of appeal. They can't level quickly because they can't participate in playsets, and the built-in toy box stuff disney offers is only good for a few hours at most. I've been reading previews that have had pretty much full access to Disney/Avalanche for the game, and they all seem confident Disney has a really strong 5 year plan for the franchise. This leads me to believe that we aren't going to see Series 1 phased out with only access to series 1 content. My guess is, much more so than Skylanders, Series 1 will remain series 1 and on store shelves (for a time) and simply then work in Infinity 2.

Agreed, I was gonna sit and create a 2D action platformer resulting in a top down shooter sequence, but the cameras and a lot of the tools I wanted to use aren't unlocked from the start.

Ah well, at least I unlock the stuff in the playsets. I did all of the adventures as Randall already, Sumo is so much fun.

also remember that the spin setup is REALLY well done. If there's a particular camera/item you want, you can keep shuffling until it comes up and then usually can grab it with typically less than 10 spins.

Dragoshi1

yes, this is how it is done in Skylanders. Yes for families with multiple saves/profiles (like Wii U, 360) it is a pain.

As for lots of "single characters" coming out, my guess is that Disney is REALLY counting on a lot of high quality toy box levels coming from the community for the time being. On top of that, myself and others are believing that Infinity 2 (or whatever) will be be/offer a more traditional Skylanders-like experience, allowing you to swap characters in and out of the game, etc. I mean it's the only logical answer, because as-is, the single characters don't hold a lot of appeal. They can't level quickly because they can't participate in playsets, and the built-in toy box stuff disney offers is only good for a few hours at most. I've been reading previews that have had pretty much full access to Disney/Avalanche for the game, and they all seem confident Disney has a really strong 5 year plan for the franchise. This leads me to believe that we aren't going to see Series 1 phased out with only access to series 1 content. My guess is, much more so than Skylanders, Series 1 will remain series 1 and on store shelves (for a time) and simply then work in Infinity 2.

also remember that the spin setup is REALLY well done. If there's a particular camera/item you want, you can keep shuffling until it comes up and then usually can grab it with typically less than 10 spins.

Oooh, didn't know I could shuffle it as many times as I want, that makes it easier!

Can we only store up to 10 spins, though? Or is it unlimited?

Rocky

Banned

Wait, have they even announced Infinity 2 yet? If/when it comes out, do you think the current figures would work with it or would we have to buy new figures for Infinity 2? Is that how Skylanders works?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So just for clarification purposes, what are the known sets that are coming in the future? Just Toy Story?

yes just Toy Story in Space for playsets. Rumor is that Wreck It Ralph (and possibly Frozen, possibly Phineas and Ferb) will be sold in multi-packs possibly with unlockables, but nothing concrete so far.

Wait, have they even announced Infinity 2 yet? If/when it comes out, do you think the current figures would work with it or would we have to buy new figures for Infinity 2? Is that how Skylanders works?

Skylanders pretty much every previous Skylander works with the newer sets. BUT, what Skylanders does is brings forward a bunch figures from previous sets to the new set. So Spyro's Adventure had Bash. Giants has Bash. And likely SwapForce will have Bash.

My guess is Disney, instead of going this route, will do it where Series 1 remains available for a time, and they start introducing characters from Series 2. But yes, then series 1 characters will still be available in the series 2 game (which I'm calling Infinity 2 for sake of ease)

jim2011

All infinity figures are forwards and backwards compatible. Series 1 figures will work in infinity 2 and series 2 figures will work in infinity 1 (as long as you can download the update/patch)

jlscool

Anyone having an issue trying to get registered with your Disney ID? I am on Wii U and it will not recognize my Disney ID. I can use my PC to login to the web site, but not through the Disney Infinity game.

ryanmac

Banned
So I bought 3 Power Disk packs just to see what it's all about. Two of them were even "Toys R Us" exclusives.. and it was all duplicates.. ALL of them. Out of 6 disks I ended up with only two items. So yeah, that's the end of that.

Rocky

Banned
yes just Toy Story in Space for playsets. Rumor is that Wreck It Ralph (and possibly Frozen, possibly Phineas and Ferb) will be sold in multi-packs possibly with unlockables, but nothing concrete so far.

Skylanders pretty much every previous Skylander works with the newer sets. BUT, what Skylanders does is brings forward a bunch figures from previous sets to the new set. So Spyro's Adventure had Bash. Giants has Bash. And likely SwapForce will have Bash.

My guess is Disney, instead of going this route, will do it where Series 1 remains available for a time, and they start introducing characters from Series 2. But yes, then series 1 characters will still be available in the series 2 game (which I'm calling Infinity 2 for sake of ease)

Ok, cool. Still trying to decide whether to get this now or wait until other stuff is released.

So far, out of what's released now, I only like the Incredibles and Monsters. So I would probably end up getting the starter pack, sidekicks pack, villains pack, Violet and Dash and maybe a few disc packs. Was thinking Toys R Us would be the best to get it all pricewise, with the 20% coupon and BOGO deals.

RobbieNick

So I bought 3 Power Disk packs just to see what it's all about. Two of them were even "Toys R Us" exclusives.. and it was all duplicates.. ALL of them. Out of 6 disks I ended up with only two items. So yeah, that's the end of that.

Gold foil TrU packs are all Mike's car and something else. Only buy ONE gold foil pack if you want Mike's car.

Anyone else think it's horribly stupid that the most basic level design aspects are hidden in unlocks? It's so stupid. We won't have any cool levels to download from other users for possibly weeks.

TheGrue

I bought 4 packs and only got one duplicate so I lucked out. Even the free one in the starter set wasn't a duplicate of any of the one I got in my packs.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I bought a ton of the toys yesterday. just picked up a 3 packs of the power discs at Target cause TRU was out. kinda cool that each one comes with a lenticular power disc.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Finally got the Buzz Rare. Sat there rubbing the packages (trying to feel for the hologram) like an idiot but it worked out.

Ok so if my son is playing on Wii U and I switch over to my profile I can play with his figures to unlock all the stuff and it would be my own save but with leveled up characters? I'd only miss out on this hall of heroes thing? I might want to make levels but I don't have my friends on his name.

sorry, I'm dumb and not understanding

03sho

Just watched the IGN review and it has got me intrigued about this game.

Does purchasing new characters from the store unlock new missions? For example if I purchase Woody or Buzz do those characters come with missions in the toy story world etc?

If you "feel them up," they do...

Yeah I have a feeling that all the ones at my TRU have been felt up.... They need better packaging. I know there's ups and downs with blind pack odds but there are no odds if someone feels them up first and takes them all. It's really unfair to the other people. Just saying.

Yeah I have a feeling that all the ones at my TRU have been felt up.... They need better packaging. I know there's ups and downs with blind pack odds but there are no odds if someone feels them up first and takes them all. It's really unfair to the other people. Just saying.
If you feel them up you'll only know the top disc right? so there's still a cance the bottom disc is rare?

I dunno, either way my TRU took packs off the shelf an hour after the store opened, maybe that's why lol.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If you "feel them up," they do...

that's sort of insane to me that they'd have "rares" that you can feel through the packaging. Though the general ideas of "rares" is smart for blind boxing. A whole extra thing to collect and buy and be frustrated.

I wonder if Wave 2/3 is already done and on the boat (probably) and will have the same issue then?

I dunno, either way my TRU took packs off the shelf an hour after the store opened, maybe that's why lol.

seem like a giant theft issue in a big box store environment too for your Targets/Best Buys/TRU. I should swing by Best Buy and see if they have them in the plastic cases. Maybe they are cheap enough to not warrant it but still.

Just watched the IGN review and it has got me intrigued about this game.

Does purchasing new characters from the store unlock new missions? For example if I purchase Woody or Buzz do those characters come with missions in the toy story world etc?

Actually yeah. Certain characters have specific trial missions in each playset. Also, each figure comes with its own 'adventure' level, which is basically just small self contained mini game

What do you think will happen to the Cars and Lone Ranger playsets in future games?

If you feel them up you'll only know the top disc right? so there's still a cance the bottom disc is rare?

No a lot of the ones I got were both flipped outward. So you can feel both sides on alot if them. I suppose if one was the other direction you could but its still not right. I just don't want to keep trying if that pool is already dried up.

Ok so if my son is playing on Wii U and I switch over to my profile I can play with his figures to unlock all the stuff and it would be my own save but with leveled up characters? I'd only miss out on this hall of heroes thing? I might want to make levels but I don't have my friends on his name.

sorry, I'm dumb and not understanding

Would love to know the answer to this as well.

Gorki247

What do you think will happen to the Cars and Lone Ranger playsets in future games?

Disney/Avalanche have confirmed that Series 1 figures will continue to work in future games, but not the playsets. So the figures would become Toy Box only figures in the case of a sequel.

The current game (i.e. the Toy Box) will also be updated to work with future figures.

Top Bottom