• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

PS4 has no BC unfortunately.

... huh. I thought one of the big things when the consoles were announced was that PS4 had BC and Xbox did not. Oh well.

Another thing is that my brother has the PS3 version, so when I mentioned yesterday that I was planning on exchanging my ps3 to the wiiU version, he made the point that we wouldn't be able to play together online with the different versions.

Just to confirm, different consoles can't play with each other online?

gotee12

... huh. I thought one of the big things when the consoles were announced was that PS4 had BC and Xbox did not. Oh well.

Another thing is that my brother has the PS3 version, so when I mentioned yesterday that I was planning on exchanging my ps3 to the wiiU version, he made the point that we wouldn't be able to play together online with the different versions.

Just to confirm, different consoles can't play with each other online?

Correct, no multiplayer/co-op between different platforms.

But, downloadable toy box levels are crossplatform. (The toybox created in the Wii U version can be shared with and used by the PS360 versions and vice versa)

Does the 360 version need gold in order to access online toybox download functionality? I have gold now, but that will change with PS4...

Shadownet

Banned
oh man its worse than I thought lol

I meant the card packs that are in target for $5. I think its the ones someone said a "douche" checked before buying in a gamestop

It's not a cards pack it's a power discs pack.

They come in pack of 2 discs.

I don't understand why people have a problem with a guy checking out the packs by feeling it before buying?

As long as he doesn't hold up a line or something. It should be his right as a consumer to find the one he wanted to buy. Blame Disney for putting it randomize..

It's not a cards pack it's a power discs pack.

They come in pack of 2 discs.

I don't understand why people have a problem with a guy checking out the packs by feeling it before buying?

As long as he doesn't hold up a line or something. It should be his right as a consumer to find the one he wanted to buy. Blame Disney for putting it randomize..

yeah I also put the blame on disney, thats why I used quotes

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
How big/far out can you build in Toybox?

It's a pretty big size spacially - the Toybox Launcher level shows off the size pretty well. They have a race track, a castle, an entry way, and several far out islands all on one map. It doesn't look like you're able to make Grand Theft Auto or Skyrim sized game worlds, but a sizable castle or a few city blocks are easily doable.

The real limiting factor is complexity. If you want to have a giant, sprawling adventure you're going to be rendering it with minimal detail to keep the number of objects down, and if you want a really detailed space it's not going to be very big.

So what's the point of leveling up. I seriously see nowhere in the game where it explains this to you. I've beaten pirates and I'm like... hmmmmmmm what can my guy do that he couldn't do already? I mean you can buy the abilities and such but what does it have to do with the leveling up? Nothing?

Also the downloadable toybox that has the flying castle and grind rails has a horrible, horrible framerate.

So what's the point of leveling up. I seriously see nowhere in the game where it explains this to you. I've beaten pirates and I'm like... hmmmmmmm what can my guy do that he couldn't do already? I mean you can buy the abilities and such but what does it have to do with the leveling up? Nothing?

seems unlocks a slot machine credit to get random toy box pieces.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanna thanks El_TigroX for sending me the Buzz Lightyear's disc :) what a great Gaf! Definitely would trade again!

And back at Shadownet for being easy to work with and going above and beyond! A++

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the Monsters University world clocking in at ~6 with a whole extra downtown area to explore. I love this game.

Anyone with the Wii U version having audio issues? I noticed certain characters sound speak with an echo.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Just beat the Monsters University world clocking in at ~6 with a whole extra downtown area to explore. I love this game.

Anyone with the Wii U version having audio issues? I noticed certain characters sound speak with an echo.

It's an annoying audio bug. Somehow it occurs and from then on out ALL voices have an echo. Very annoying. Happened to me toward the end of my POTC play session last night.

Fortunately dropping to Wii U Menu and restarting the game fixes it.

Are you using surround on Wii U?

Amneisac

The obvious solution is to put some kind of dangerous chemical inside a fragile container inside the power disc pack. That way when people are groping them in the aisles trying to find out which power discs are in there they will rupture the chem-pack and die a quick death of poisoning. Disney can expand their underground trash network to all the retail stores that sell Disney Infinity products and they can just pop up and grab the corpses before anyone has a chance to miss them.

does anybody know any details about the toy story playset? i'm wonder what kinda playset they will have and how it compares to toy story 3. Loved toy story 3's toy box.

I wouldn't worry too much. Apparently they'll all be apart of Wave 2 anyways.

Yes, TRU exclusive discs will be part of future waves 2 and 3. However they won't be exactly the same, TRU ones are lenticular while the other will not be. As far as I understand each wave will have "common" discs that are not lenticular and "rare" discs that are. TRU exclusives will be like the rare ones.

gotee12

16 packs and no rares.... Good grief!

JohnnyVDollarSigns.jpg

I too experience the echo bug in the Wii U version...

Campster

The game's riddled with audio bugs, especially with regard to speaking noises. I've had spoken bits cut out on me, I've had spoken bits start over again halfway through, and I've had spoken bits never start despite character's mouths and bodies moving in scenes where they were clearly meant to be talking. Music tends to just stop after a song's over and not start a new song up, too - long sequences of Monsters Inc spent playing in silence before, out of nowhere and apropos of nothing, 80's teen comedy synth music starts playing again.

borghe

fraking collectibility..

I just ordered the Crystal Lightning McQueen despite previously saying (and STILL thinking) that it looks ugly. frak! Oh well, stuffed it with Dash to at least use the bonus 50% off.

People gotta really take advantage of that target offer for playsets at $17.50 This also includes the Villains or Sidekicks 3 packs.

Toys R us at Buy 1 Power Disc Pack for $5, get the second one for $1 Dollar.

Wow that's bullshit. I tried to buy a sidekick pack there yesterday and it rang up for $30.00. I was very confused cause I thought they were on sale :(

This and Skylanders, I have absolutely no clue how these games are played, LOL!

What's the point with the toys? Do you like take pictures of them or scan them in and use them like a virtual card game?

So how does the saving work? I know you have a save for every world. Reason I ask is my kids woke up and their auto saves overwrote what I had. But the character levels were still high so there has to be an global save too right?

borghe

Wow that's bullshit. I tried to buy a sidekick pack there yesterday and it rang up for $30.00. I was very confused cause I thought they were on sale :(

He is mistaken. Target is ONLY offering the playsets for 50% off.

Walmart has the 3-packs for 50% off online, however the Villains pack is sold out (thus unable to be ordered, and harder to price match)

So how does the saving work? I know you have a save for every world. Reason I ask is my kids woke up and their auto saves overwrote what I had. But the character levels were still high so there has to be an global save too right?

It works like skylanders. Actual playset progress is saved on the system. Individual figure level, experience and money are saved to the actual figure (flash on the NFC chip)

Chairhome

No, the other post is confused i think. The playsets are $17.50 at Target. On walmart.com the 3 packs are $15 each, I was able to get Best Buy to pricematch this.

So far I am not a huge fan of the toy box. I like the freedom but I'd rather there be some structure or missions or anything really. I hope someone puts out good stuff because I am having zero fun in that mode.

Chucker

AIqkxSGl.jpg

My hustle is strong.

Was listening to InsideTheMagic during lunch and his "Tip of the day" for yesterday's podcast was the fingernail lenticular trick for rares. Disappointing.

Edit: Stupid imgur, it's a receipt showing the cars set for $12.

He is mistaken. Target is ONLY offering the playsets for 50% off.

Walmart has the 3-packs for 50% off online, however the Villains pack is sold out (thus unable to be ordered, and harder to price match)

It works like skylanders. Actual playset progress is saved on the system. Individual figure level, experience and money are saved to the actual figure (flash on the NFC chip)

Oh..neat, what about toybox unlocks? I noticed the challenges were still done so toy box stuff must permanently unlock on a global save then right? So theoretically I could restart a play set and not lose my toy box stuff?

ElNino

So for each figure do you have to download data/worlds/characters?

If not is it on the disc already?

If you don't download, is the data stored in the figures and get downloaded to your console?
Character data is on the disc already. When you put a character on the portal they appear in the game(s). Any character data/customization/level/etc is stored in the character itself.

borghe

If you don't download, is the data stored in the figures and get downloaded to your console?

yes, hate it or otherwise, EVERYTHING for this series of Infinity is already on the disc. You just use the figures to unlock it.

As I mentioned, data stored on the figures is: console/save lock (i.e. the game/system that currently has ownership of the figure), experience and level, and in-game money (I believe. or maybe spins)

Regarding the console/save lock, all that means is that only one console can "own" a physical figure. That's the console where that figure will be put into the Hall of Heroes. That actual figure can still be used on another system (even another platform) in guest mode. Everything will behave the same way, except that figure won't unlock certain things on the guest platform. If a new system takes ownership of the physical figure, all of its stats are wiped from the NFC chip. It starts over from scratch.

Oh..neat, what about toybox unlocks? I noticed the challenges were still done so toy box stuff must permanently unlock on a global save then right? So theoretically I could restart a play set and not lose my toy box stuff?
Not only can you, but it's the fastest way to level any of the characters for the Hall of Heroes.

Campster

This and Skylanders, I have absolutely no clue how these games are played, LOL!

What's the point with the toys? Do you like take pictures of them or scan them in and use them like a virtual card game?

Skylanders and Disney Infinity are a bit different.

The core idea in each: There's a pad you put characters down onto. When you put the characters down they activate an RFID chip that tells the game what the character is, and then that character shows up on screen. That's it. Sick of playing Giant Green Monster Tree and want to play Lava Rock Man instead? Take one toy off the pad and put the other toy onto it.

Skylanders is sort of a Diablo-light game, where you walk around levels and beat up monsters and try to get to the end. Some areas are only accessible by certain "types" of Skylanders, though (say, a fire Skylander to burn through a fire symbol and get to the treasure on the other side). So you want to find a Skylander of each 'type' that you like to play through the game's content and level them up all the way.

Disney Infinity is a little different. There's basically two core gameplay conceits - play sets and the toy box. The toy box is sort of Little Big Planet; a place where you can mix and match franchises and build your own levels and download the creations of others. Play sets are locked to particular franchises (only Monster's Inc characters can play in the Monster's Inc playsets) and the mechanics vary between them. Monster's Inc has some light stealth mechanics, Pirates has some action and shooting and naval combat, Cars is all about racing and towing things, Incredibles is about beating up bad guys, etc. So you're not buying a set of characters to fill out a roster of every play style like in Skylanders, you're just buying characters because... Disney. Also to get 18 or so more chances to grind for the items you want from the Disney Vault (ugh).

They feel like DLC in physical form to me.

DLC implies they're downloaded; it's pretty clear all of the content is on-disk.

All data is already on the game disc or it will be in a future update.

The figures uses NFC when placed in a base to unlock the content in the game.

Regarding the console/save lock, all that means is that only one console can "own" a physical figure. That's the console where that figure will be put into the Hall of Heroes. That actual figure can still be used on another system (even another platform) in guest mode. Everything will behave the same way, except that figure won't unlock certain things on the guest platform. If a new system takes ownership of the physical figure, all of its stats are wiped from the NFC chip. It starts over from scratch.

That's weird. All you're characters "XP" is saved to the figure itself (Via the NFC Chip )versus a traditional save file?

If you giveaway/sell/trade a figure you will in essence lose that character and it's stats.

I didn't know this about the figures before but It looks like there is a lot of swapping to play characters.

If I wanted to play as Mickey Mouse, I would have to have the figure on the base.
I couldn't say buy 20 toys and have them all loaded up and ready to go?

Top Bottom