• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So after finally getting to put some time into the game (and not the thrill of the hunt), I've got to say that I really enjoy it. It's very relaxed gameplay, it's not overly difficult (or difficult at all, haha), and it's so free. I've only put just over an hour into Monter's University, and it's SO damn charming. I can't wait to dig deeper into the worlds and start playing with the toy box.

XShagrath

So after finally getting to put some time into the game (and not the thrill of the hunt), I've got to say that I really enjoy it. It's very relaxed gameplay, it's not overly difficult (or difficult at all, haha), and it's so free. I've only put just over an hour into Monter's University, and it's SO damn charming. I can't wait to dig deeper into the worlds and start playing with the toy box.
I agree with everything you said. During the intro part when you're creating the world when you first turn it on, and it's got the "Disney voice" guy going, I just had a smile from ear to ear. It brought back my childhood in such an awesome way!

This is nothing, you should have seen me when I got into Vinylmations.

Tell me about it

On my honeymoon at Disneyworld I saw them and thought nothing of them

The year after I thought I'd buy one for the hell of it followed by about 10 more that trip and countless others now

The annoying thing is when I was on my honeymoon it was the park 1 collection as well :(

Surfheart

I picked up the game last night along with the Villians pack and the Cars playset.

The opening was wonderful, and I played a fair bit of the Incredibles, POTC and Cars playsets and went through the Mastery adventure in the toy box.

I thought I would go crazy and get lots of figures as I did with Skylanders but after having spent some time with the game, the only way I will get new characters are through additional playsets.

Apart from the 'gotta get em all' thing and the quality of the figures themselves it seems almost pointless to get new figures; levels are meaningless, money seems worthless, the combat is shallow, too easy and repetitive, death has no consequence, characters don't get more powerful or learn new abilities, the exclusive content per character is weak, the "quests" are like some terrible filler MMO fetch quests and If I had to play through the incredibles and cars playsets with additional characters I think I would rather poke my eyes out, the "gameplay" is so uninspired and insipid I can't imagine going though that tedious experience again.

It just seems to me that it's another of those games where a crafted gameplay experience has been compromised because of the create mode.

Am I missing something?

Edit: and the game doesn't explain enough and there is no decent documentation or FAQs that I can find. e.g. do I have to save or is there an autosave? how do I reset a playset so that I can start over? the menus are so dense and not alot is explained.

And if my 4 year old son is any barometer, he and I have put 40+ hours into skylanders, he can bounce between chapters, go through them smashing the bad guys, getting money and levels that are actually meaningful to his characters, he had fun with Infinity initially, but his playtime in Incredibles ended up being to pickup and throw cars and the pedestrians because the content is hidden behind dudes with ! marks over their heads. In the cars playset the cars handle so poorly he couldnt really do anything but drive around randomly.

SickBoy

So what's the deal with the downloadable stuff when it comes to 360? Will I need Gold to download community stuff?

I've only ever considered the question of Gold with regard to "real" multiplayer. Not really up for shelling out for just Infinity, which is still mainly meant for my son.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So what's the deal with the downloadable stuff when it comes to 360? Will I need Gold to download community stuff?

I've only ever considered the question of Gold with regard to "real" multiplayer. Not really up for shelling out for just Infinity, which is still mainly meant for my son.
Pretty sure this was confirmed that all online connectivity in the game requires Gold. Because the download happens in-game online through Disney's service, you need Gold.

gotee12

This is nothing, you should have seen me when I got into Vinylmations.
The pins became my vice last June in WDW. I was picked for an in-park survey and was given a $100 gift card. Thought "what the heck, I'll get an $18 starter pack of pins". $350 later, I realized I had a problem...

SegaShack

Yeah, this whole discovery of what's actually coming is pretty disappointing. As far as can be seen, the only other playset coming out is Toy Story (in October) until the next Infinity game, which would presumably be another 9 months-1 year away.

I really don't think just releasing more characters that only work on Toy Box is going to be enough. I expected we'd see a new Playset out every 3 or so months.

Unless Disney has said otherwise it appears that Infinity is seen as an open platform that is supposed to keep expanding. I don't think they are making a game a year like Skylanders. Disney is releasing far too few characters and playsets for 1 game. I think a better expectation would be to have new characters and playsets patched into the games.

If they make a game called Infinity 2 people will be disappointed if in the first game all they got were a few playsets and a dozen characters. Also mathematically Infinity 2 wouldn't make sense. I think Infinity is going to go longer than a Skylanders game. However I wouldn't be shocked if Disney made a game every year, I just don't see it happening.

Unless Disney has said otherwise it appears that Infinity is seen as an open platform that is supposed to keep expanding. I don't think they are making a game a year like Skylanders. Disney is releasing far too few characters and playsets for 1 game. I think a better expectation would be to have new characters and playsets patched into the games.

If they make a game called Infinity 2 people will be disappointed if in the first game all they got were a few playsets and a dozen characters. Also mathematically Infinity 2 wouldn't make sense. I think Infinity is going to go longer than a Skylanders game. However I wouldn't be shocked if Disney made a game every year, I just don't see it happening.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/d...se_a_new_disney_infinity_game_every_year.html

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Meh I still think he's ugly but the Crystal Lightning McQueen is sold out at every TRU within 50 miles. My obsessive side is very glad I picked that figure up yesterday. :)

Shadownet

Banned
There was a fellow Gaf on here that pointed out that he dislike how Disney Infinity Character doesn't really do anything with their leveling up, it's like you can't invest points to gain new abilities or moves..

I agree. What good is playing as Dash when you can only do the same 3 moves over and over again. Why not have a tornado spin move or something that you can upgrade??

I'm not asking for in depth RPG element, just some move tree list would he been better than nothing.

Surfheart

There was a fellow Gaf on here that pointed out that he dislike how Disney Infinity Character doesn't really do anything with their leveling up, it's like you can't invest points to gain new abilities or moves..

I agree. What good is playing as Dash when you can only do the same 3 moves over and over again. Why not have a tornado spin move or something that you can upgrade??

I'm not asking for in depth RPG element, just some move tree list would he been better than nothing.

I agree, for a game with an obvious emphasis on characters, that emphasis is very superficial.

A skill tree with abilities would be pointless though in Infinity which is X, X, X to win and no consequence for failure.

Enjoying all the playsets for sure. The stuff in toy box to make is great, but is there every going to be a way to perhaps make missions or goals in levels? OR will this always be simple a "create your own level" and share it to friends and that's it?

Shancake

zop2.jpg

Got my eb games preorder exclusive discs. Annoying me so much that there's ten to get with no other way of getting them....

There are two Toys R Us' by my job and yesterday I hit the good one it seems. Three of us managed to "scratch" and find all the rares and even get doubles of some. Today, I had a dental appt. and hit the nearest Toys R Us, ZERO power discs. At lunch, hit the other TRU by my job...ZERO power discs. Was I in a bizzarro Toys R Us? I keep reading how hard the rares are to find. I got 3 Dumbos, 3 Buzz and 1 Abu. Friends got multiples of each too.

No Crystal Lightning McQueens or Mike's car packs to be found though :'(

jrcbandit

Are people just buying the Toys R Us exclusives to Ebay/Craigslist? Although the Toys R Us power discs only has 1 exclusive so far, it seems silly to buy more than 1 of those packs as it will then just be repeats. Well I found the whole power pack thing to be mostly pointless anyway, I just want to add more playsets when they come out, except for Phibeas and Ferb since I have 0 idea what that show is about. It would be utterly fantastic if they do a Gravity Falls playset, though.

Wow, with so many listings for crystal lightning mcqueen on Ebay, I don't see how people are going to make money after ebay/paypal fees.

Chucker

Tell me about it

On my honeymoon at Disneyworld I saw them and thought nothing of them

The year after I thought I'd buy one for the hell of it followed by about 10 more that trip and countless others now

The annoying thing is when I was on my honeymoon it was the park 1 collection as well :(

This is my EXACT STORY. We went in October 09, I didn't think anything of them. Went again in May 10 and I was hooked after getting a Poncho from Park 2 and not liking it. JUST ONE MORE.

After selling my Space Mountain 35th Anniversary for $250, and my Jack Skellington Holiday #1 for $300, I let the other go. I'll see if I can find old pics and start to cry.

From my old house:
4qARxoul.jpg

A little while later when I had a nice cabinet:
AmiH9sql.jpg

q8JPEw6l.jpg

eaiFQkal.jpg

Memles

While I was warned in advance that the Play Sets don't necessarily have the greatest sense of momentum, finishing The Incredibles playset—game clock lists 6 1/2 hours—still came with that certain sense of "Oh, that's it." It wasn't a bad ending, by any means, and was in line with what the game had offered to that point; however, the way the "story" of the play set is dispersed throughout the game makes it a fairly empty narrative experience. That said, it was also a very pleasant gaming experience overall, and moving onto Monsters University I found the refresh of aesthetics and a few different mechanics has kept that pleasant feeling going (I'm saving the Johnny Depp double feature for last).

I also spent a slightly larger period of time playing around in the Toy Box, and...I'm going to have to wait and see what people do with this. I tried building a racing track of sorts, but I had no idea what tools I needed to turn it into a race, and when I tried to build any sort of scenic elements I found it difficult (or perhaps too time-consuming) to create something aesthetically pleasing. I had some fun mucking around; I unlocked a few feats that helped level up characters and collect spins; I didn't want to throw away the controller in disgust. But at the same time, I have no idea what to do with what I built, and no real patience to collect/learn what I'd need to collect/learn to build something I knew what to do with.

One thing that would help with that, though: Two separate Infinity Vaults, one for creative tools used to build levels and one for scenery/building materials. The idea that the latter would be put behind a free-to-play-style mechanism makes some sense to me (especially when it comes to like the Muppet Townspeople and what have you); the idea that the fundamental building tools for the mode are behind the same mechanism is a joke.

Does leveling up your character actually achieve anything?

Leveling up your characters gets you more spins in the Infinity Vault, which gives you more opportunities to collect more materials for the Toy Box mode. Within the playsets? It makes no difference.

Does leveling up your character actually achieve anything?

Other than earning yourself Vault spins, it doesn't seem like it does much. Kind of disappointing.

Does anyone want to Toy Box with me on Wii U? NNID: FearMyWrench

Feel free to invite me whenever if you see me on.

Karish

They REALLY need to implement an "undo last step" in Toy Box mode. I accidentally deleted a big thing my gf and I had been working on...

Dougald

Thinking of picking this up for my Nephews as they love messing around in sandbox games.

They aren't particularly proficient at games - is the Toy Box mode gonna be easy enough for them to figure out? Also, I know I need to get some matching figures if they want to play co-op in the story pack, but do they need them in Toy Box mode?

ga11agh3r

Neo Member
No announcement of the special TRU 'crystal' variant of figures for us UK buyers. So I'm tempted just to take the plunge and get t shipped over from the US. Anyone hear anything different about a pending release or should I go ahead and grab one off ebay?

I know that I'll be paying over the odds but then the UK have already been stung anyhow looking at some of the sweet bargains the US guys are mentioning in this thread!

Top Bottom