• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

Amneisac

finnaly got the Wii U version last night and played for a few hours! really in love!!!

my only problem is the framerate is really really bad. especially with 2 players.

do the other versions suffer from this?

I doubt we'll get a true comparison with actual metrics to see which system is objectively best, but I have the 360 version and the frame rate is also very bad in two player split screen.

Kitoro

I've got a strong feeling that the main mode of next year's DI installment will focus on a mash-up world and story where any and all toys can be used together, with Play Sets being released separately.

They desperately need to do something to make the Toy Box Only characters more purposeful, and that would do the trick.

The PS3 version gets real chopy in splitscreen as well.

The PS3 gets downright brutal in splitscreen, framerate-wise.

Also, does anyone experience the audio glitch where either the music or vocal track will skip like three times before finding itself? It literally sounds like "Hello th- Hello th- Hello th- Hello there Captain!"

gotee12

Also, does anyone experience the audio glitch where either the music or vocal track will skip like three times before finding itself? It literally sounds like "Hello th- Hello th- Hello th- Hello there Captain!"

The Wii U version suffers from a glitch where an echo gets applied to all voiced dialogue, as if you're speaking in a cavern or something. Sometimes even a complete reboot doesn't get rid of the bug.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've got a strong feeling that the main mode of next year's DI installment will focus on a mash-up world and story where any and all toys can be used together, with Play Sets being released separately.

They desperately need to do something to make the Toy Box Only characters more purposeful, and that would do the trick.

two things:

1. yeah, this is what most of us believe. I would be REALLY surprised for it to not happen. With the sheer amount of Toy Box-only figures they will have available at that point (counting DI TB-only figures and likely DI2 TB-only figures). My guess is the mash-up Disney Adventure will be the main focus at like 12-ish hours with a few other playsets available (either included or separately)

2. Having watched a lot of the videos linked to some posts ago by one of the Toy Box leads, I genuinely think many of us are going to be surprised by some of the stuff that gets released through Disney's curated Toy Box section. I'm not even going to start with it until I beat everything (like 2-3 hours left in Cars, then all of Incredibles and Lone Ranger) but where I thought Toy Boxes would be clever stuff to meander around in and carry over meaningless deaths from the playsets... damn... you can just get brutal in the Toy Boxes.. I have really high expectations.. I mean just for myself even. Have some good plans I want to take a look at.

The Wii U version suffers from a glitch where an echo gets applied to all voiced dialogue, as if you're speaking in a cavern or something. Sometimes even a complete reboot doesn't get rid of the bug.
All versions suffer from this. Sadly audio performance in this game is.. awful :( Really it's the only way to put it. I only get Lightning's vocal responses (to like mission completions and stuff) maybe a quarter of the time. Hopefully it can be patched but yeah, audio in the game is crazy glitched on all platforms.

Unless there's going to be a game update/DLC (the idea of doing so has been discussed to death in this thread too), that's all there is on the disc.

finnaly got the Wii U version last night and played for a few hours! really in love!!!

my only problem is the framerate is really really bad. especially with 2 players.

I finally started playing the Wii U version last night too and I really am surprised at how bad the framerate is in the single player game. It doesn't at all look that demanding, but it's so sluggish.

I'm starting out with Monsters, Inc. so maybe some of the other play sets are better. I'm not totally into the game yet as it's just okay to me, but I was saving Pirates for last since that's supposed to be the gem of the three play sets.

Right now though, I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought all these figures and stuff to add on to the game though. I'm just not sure how much it's going to add for me. I'm also disappointed at the limited expandability so even though I dove in this time, I may stop and not buy anymore. I had just assume you would be able to download new characters and areas which meant infinite expandability and support could keep coming from new figures and new playsets. Not having that is a real buzz kill for me.

borghe

I finally started playing the Wii U version last night too and I really am surprised at how bad the framerate is in the single player game. It doesn't at all look that demanding, but it's so sluggish.

I'm starting out with Monsters, Inc. so maybe some of the other play sets are better. I'm not totally into the game yet as it's just okay to me, but I was saving Pirates for last since that's supposed to be the gem of the three play sets.

Right now though, I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought all these figures and stuff to add on to the game though. I'm just not sure how much it's going to add for me. I'm also disappointed at the limited expandability so even though I dove in this time, I may stop and not buy anymore. I had just assume you would be able to download new characters and areas which meant infinite expandability and support could keep coming from new figures and new playsets. Not having that is a real buzz kill for me.

figures yes. playsets no. Avalanche/Disney has already said that future sets' figures will be backwards compatible with this version of Infinity (no mention of toy box only or not) through a download update. But no you will not get additional playsets added to this game.

as for framerates.. I was reading john v's twitter and one of his tweets said they had to remove playset online multiplayer because of network sync/disconnects. My guess is that a lot of the frame rate issues/stutters plays a big part in that. Being that the playsets show up the exact same as all of the other game assets in the file structure, my guess is they built the playset worlds with the same Toy Box engine. And just like they tell you not to go "above the green" for toy box creations, I'm guessing that is both a) why there is no online multi-player in playsets and b) why the frame rate chugs so hard on all versions.

as for me.. personally Monsters so far (completed) is the buggiest/lagiest overall. One of the most annoying bugs I ran into in Monsters was my missions disappearing from my mission log when I would exit the game, but I still "had" the mission. So I kind of had to go back through when I loaded the game and figured out what missions I was still in progress on. :\

Pirates so far has definitely been the most stable (completed). I have about 2 hours into Incredibles with my daughter and haven't come across anything major. I am almost done with cars and the framerate and gameplay are all decent and stable, but so far cars for me has had the buggiest audio by far (mainly lightning's voice being almost non-existent)

Great game... But IMHO they should have let it bake til Fall.. Would have gone from "Great game!!! but...." to just "Great game!!!!!!"

Memles

Great game... But IMHO they should have let it bake til Fall.. Would have gone from "Great game!!! but...." to just "Great game!!!!!!"

What's fascinating about this is that when they first announced the delay from June to August they specifically said "The game's basically done, this is just for retailers who want it to release closer to the holiday season."

So either the game still needed a lot of work at that stage and still wasn't free from bugs by the time of the August release, or Disney felt that the game in its current state constituted a finished product and they chose not to spend the extra two months debugging.

figures yes. playsets no. Avalanche/Disney has already said that future sets' figures will be backwards compatible with this version of Infinity (no mention of toy box only or not) through a download update. But no you will not get additional playsets added to this game.

That statement makes me think a lot. "backwards compatible with this version of Infinity" does not match with "everything should be on the disc". Of course to add backwards compatibility (even if it will be limit to toybox as I guess) there should be an update or DLC to the current game, something that again Wii version is not capable of doing. Or will they pull something like "ok this is the new Disney Infinity Second Chapter (or something like that, because Infinity 2 sounds silly) and all the new figures works with the previous game (insert asterisk here)" and the fine print for the asterisk reads "internet connection required, Wii version not supported". That will upset a lot of parents that bought the Wii version, will not read the fine print and will buy the new toys without knowing the limitations.

To my they will just pull the same scheme that Skylanders did and say "forward compatibility: all your original Infinity figures works with the new Infinity" and "backwards compatibility: some of the new Infinity figures works with the previous game, see package for details" and the figures that will work will only be the same characters in reposed figures. I mean, they could release a new playset to the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie (too early?) or if Incredibles 2 suddenly becomes a reality, release new figures of the same characters in a different pose and call them "compatible with the original Infinity".

Of course, that will be a major letdown. However I cannot see an exit for the Wii trap.

borghe

Chiaroscuro - yeah, I mean there are issues present regarding the Wii version. This IS what Disney has stated, but they also stated there would be playset online co-op until near launch.

The one option I see is that they release a "Master Edition" or something for Wii. Basically a standalone copy of the first game's toy box with the updated figures for like $20.

or of course they could just abandon the Wii version. I mean really, at some point this is what they are going to need to do (skylanders as well)

Actually I would be shocked to see either franchise release a Wii version in 2014.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Picked this up as a surprise for my Wife. She hardly games but I bought her this and she is in love. I'm happy when my wife plays games.

Given the copious amounts of sales, I'm not going to succumb to buying any of the Wave 2 and 3 figures at launch. I'll wait to find a discount.

borghe

Given the copious amounts of sales, I'm not going to succumb to buying any of the Wave 2 and 3 figures at launch. I'll wait to find a discount.

The only two difficulties I might have with this are Mickey and Jack Skellington. Both are absolutely gorgeous sculptures. We'll see.

To anyone who has had a figure break (or if you ever do in the future):

We recently had our Violet figurine break in two where the bottom of her feet are glued to the base. It broke very easily and not as a result of rough play, and it's easy to see why considering that the contact area where her feet stick to the base is VERY tiny. Rather than make a gluey mess of things by trying to glue it back myself, I e-mailed Disney through the Infinity website and they responded back today, saying that they were warned that the slimmer characters may break easily. They suggested that I take the figure back to the retailer and that there should be no problem exchanging it there. They also mentioned that they are actively working with retailers to make this exchange process for easily breakable characters easier. If the retailer won't exchange the figure, then they reassured me that they would work out a way to exchange it with Disney directly.

So, a good customer service experience from Disney that left me very impressed and a happy customer!

Why is there not more "real" music in this? Don't they have the rights to everything? The music in the Incredibles playset is driving me up a wall, it's so terrible.

borghe

Why is there not more "real" music in this? Don't they have the rights to everything? The music in the Incredibles playset is driving me up a wall, it's so terrible.
My guess is IP protection. They hardly want to play the actual movie's music over and over til you're sick of it... Considering they actually make money on that music from sales :p

But yes, Disney owns the rights to every song that has been on an animated soundtrack. Even the ones by pop singers they own the rights to the song AND the recording, with the artist usually appearing courtesy of their label.

Ooh.. I stand corrected. I believe Hello Dolly in Wall-E is the only licensed song Disney has ever used (I think that was Disney. Thought Ratatouille was the last picture under Pixar as an independent)

gsrjedi

I think it would've been awesome if the starter pack included a Phineas or Ferb character and they could've had a playset that was basically just a really in depth tutorial on creating in the toy box.

I'm enjoying myself so far though.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I never realized bothered me about the game was the narrator. The play set toy unlock variations were okay, but that voice is Disney-preteen-show levels of obnoxious.

Maybe because he reminds me of the atrocious Disney's Have a Laugh. Especially BLAM!

PS3 version here. Also suffering from framerate. It's usually when there's a lot going on, i.e. collecting sparks or tokens, jumping a lot, or battling a lot of enemies. Doesn't detract from my enjoyment luckily. Although, it's pretty bad with two players as you said.

eggwolio

I know it's a stretch and probably not the best approach to my first post in the thread, but I had a thought and thought I would share it here. With the revelation about the MagicBand unlocks being permanent, maybe we could get a chain going for all of InfinityGAF. We could get a list of users who would like to unlock the stuff and then one generous GAFfer who has a band could send it to the first on the list, who then sends it to the second, and so on. Whoever is last on the list sends it back home to its owner. I know it's quite a leap of faith, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

drspeedy

Oh sorry. Yeah the disc contents on PS3 has been dumped or whatever:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/695533-disney-infinity/67021612

You can figure out what other Infinite (crystal) figures are coming from this too. Kind of evil that the three figures that come with the starter pack have Infinite versions. Woohoo rebuying the same ones!

Buzz Glow?!?!!?!?

Wait, so does this mean people will be cheating and/or creating toy box worlds with unlocked stuff before it's 'released'?

Wait, so does this mean people will be cheating and/or creating toy box worlds with unlocked stuff before it's 'released'?

No it just means that we can see the file/directory structure and guess what is next to be released.

To unlock stuff you will need to mess with the savefiles, which will prove to be much more difficult, given the online nature of the game.

borghe

FYI: There is an infinite spin glitch posted on the disney infinity fan forums if anyone needs help getting the rest if the vault items quickly.

http://www.disneyinfinityfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2510&start=54#sthash.D9AMq8Ml.dpbs

had to read that page for a sec. The original post in that thread is nothing new (really a more complicated version of the fan trick), but that last post is actually interesting. Not bashing my head against a wall yet for unlocks, but if I get to that point it's good to know.

had to read that page for a sec. The original post in that thread is nothing new (really a more complicated version of the fan trick), but that last post is actually interesting. Not bashing my head against a wall yet for unlocks, but if I get to that point it's good to know.

Yeah I tried it last night and it works great! You can skip the fan trick and get them very quick. It's about 30 seconds to grab the spin and then reload the map!

DJ_Lae

One thing I never realized bothered me about the game was the narrator. The play set toy unlock variations were okay, but that voice is Disney-preteen-show levels of obnoxious.

Maybe because he reminds me of the atrocious Disney's Have a Laugh. Especially BLAM!

Haha, whenever I hear the narrator I wonder what the hell Yosuke (Persona 4) is doing in the game.

RobbieNick

Okay to help clear this up for others...

There is a toy capsule in the Toy Box Launch level that has a spin. Sooo....

A.) Go to the Toy Box Launch world.

B.) Create a teleporter right in front of where you start.

C.) Drop in a car and a race track on the upper right of the world will appear with two cliffsides.

D.) Drive to the track and use spark mode to go to the highest cliff where the green capsule that has the spin is.

E.) DON'T GRAB THE GREEN CAPSULE YET! Instead drop in another teleporter and save your game.

F.) Grab the capsule, DO NOT SAVE, go to travel, load up your last save, teleport to spot, grab the green capsule again, repeat.

I wonder if there's a way to respawn the same capsule over and over without loading?

RobbieNick

Does having a joystick pressed in one direction for a long time hurt it at all? I'm currently leveling up my characters using the fan trick and spinning the car in the air by dangling the gamepad's analog stick from a rubber band on a hook.

I'm currently making "Dash's Speed Run" a Sonic Generations type level using Dash as the main character going through Big Thunder Canyon. It's got two branching paths, robots to smash through and rails. I'll put a a playthrough later.

So the rest of the exclusive red discs (like TRU's Mike's Car) are out only in Australia? US is supposed to get a Tron disk at the beginning of September, but what about Europe? No retailer exclusive discs?

bumpkin

Well, not really sure how I did it, but I went to Best Buy last night to buy a starter pack for our nephews (to put away for Christmas), and I left without also buying a second for myself. I have been trying and trying to decide between whether to get it on 360 or Wii U, and I haven't been able to reach any conclusion. I think it kind of took the wind out of my sails hearing that there's no new play sets on the way other than what's out now, and that there are performance issues in all versions with frame rate and audio.

360 Pros
- Online multiplayer (my biggest friend list is on XBL)
- My default platform for all multi-plat games
- Great wireless controller battery life
- Achievements (hey, I like 'em)

360 cons
- My 360 backlog is already huge
- The 360 is basically toast come November (with the XB1 launch)

Wii U Pros
- Off-TV play
- The GamePad as a second screen for building
- I don't have a lot of Wii U games

Wii U Cons
- No online multiplayer
- The infamous Spark mode delay on a TV
- GamePad's shitty battery life

has this been posted yet?

powerdisc_retflsgp.png

I guess this is the rest of the power discs, series 2 & 3

borghe

Well, not really sure how I did it, but I went to Best Buy last night to buy a starter pack for our nephews (to put away for Christmas), and I left without also buying a second for myself. I have been trying and trying to decide between whether to get it on 360 or Wii U, and I haven't been able to reach any conclusion. I think it kind of took the wind out of my sails hearing that there's no new play sets on the way other than what's out now, and that there are performance issues in all versions with frame rate and audio.

360 Pros
- Online multiplayer (my biggest friend list is on XBL)
- My default platform for all multi-plat games
- Great wireless controller battery life
- Achievements (hey, I like 'em)

360 cons
- My 360 backlog is already huge
- The 360 is basically toast come November (with the XB1 launch)

Wii U Pros
- Off-TV play
- The GamePad as a second screen for building
- I don't have a lot of Wii U games

Wii U Cons
- No online multiplayer
- The infamous Spark mode delay on a TV
- GamePad's shitty battery life

A couple of things I would say:

If you're not forced to buy a new portal for DI2, would you really pick up DI2 for 360 next year?

One or your pros (off-tv play) offsets one of your cons (spark mode delay). Off-tv mode on the game basically turns the game into the PS360 version. It's also simulcast on both the tv and the gamepad. So you can play "off-tv" but actually play on your TV, and the spark mode delay is gone.

also not sure what you mean by no online multi-player, unless you are just meaning because you don't have a big friends' list on Wii U. Although note that there are no lobbies for this game. It's friends only on ALL systems. So even if you have a massive friends list on 360, if no one has the game you still can't play online.

Overall Wii U is the best.. simply because it CAN perform identically to the PS360 version (i.e. spark mode) OR you can have the option of using the toy box from the gamepad (with the delay), obviously also off-tv. If you have a ton of friends on 360 who also have the game, yeah you will get more online time with them. Or you know, solicit some of us Wii U owners in this thread to friend you (NNID camel75slayer)

bumpkin

If you're not forced to buy a new portal for DI2, would you really pick up DI2 for 360 next year?
Honestly? Probably not very likely. I know it's not the same game series, but I have both Skylanders games on my 360 and if I were to get Skylanders: Swap Force this fall, I'd most likely get it for XB1 or PS4 instead.

One or your pros (off-tv play) offsets one of your cons (spark mode delay). Off-tv mode on the game basically turns the game into the PS360 version. It's also simulcast on both the tv and the gamepad. So you can play "off-tv" but actually play on your TV, and the spark mode delay is gone.
Ah, good to know. I guess I just don't really understand the bug very well. When I spoke to off-TV play as being a pro -- but also a con -- the pro is because I like being able to play stuff on my Wii U without needing the TV (my wife wants to watch TV sometimes), but the delay would be an annoyance while doing so.

also not sure what you mean by no online multi-player, unless you are just meaning because you don't have a big friends' list on Wii U. Although note that there are no lobbies for this game. It's friends only on ALL systems. So even if you have a massive friends list on 360, if no one has the game you still can't play online.
I actually had no idea there weren't lobbies or anything of that sort. Thanks for clarifying.

And I don't think a single one of my XBL friends has the game. I was just going through my friends list on Xbox.com and looking at recent activity for a handful.

Overall Wii U is the best.. simply because it CAN perform identically to the PS360 version (i.e. spark mode) OR you can have the option of using the toy box from the gamepad (with the delay), obviously also off-tv. If you have a ton of friends on 360 who also have the game, yeah you will get more online time with them. Or you know, solicit some of us Wii U owners in this thread to friend you (NNID camel75slayer)
You know, I think you may have just made up my mind for me. :)

What's the easiest way to tell your progress in a playset? I've been playing Monsters University for about 4 hours now and I'm just curious to know how much is left.

Top Bottom