• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity |OT| Where Worlds Collide

Fewr

Also, the whole 'we don't mix IP'? Bullshit. You're kind of breaking that when you let Randall take missions from Randall. I want to fly between Pirates boats as Buzz Lightyear, damnit! They could've gone with 'heroes vs villains' story and that would've made much more sense. Have the Disney villains band together or something. Hell, you could even ask kids to pick a side!

Would it be possible for a "human" character to go through the Cars story? By possible, I mean without any additional programming at all.

I'm just wondering if not being able to 100% mix&match characters and universes could be a reason for their not wanting to allow it.

I haven't played the game yet (it will be released next week), so I don't know for sure.

Would it be possible for a "human" character to go through the Cars story? By possible, I mean without any additional programming at all.

I'm just wondering if not being able to 100% mix&match characters and universes could be a reason for their not wanting to allow it.

I haven't played the game yet (it will be released next week), so I don't know for sure.

Ah, I think thats what it is then. Mechanics! Good call, dude.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
So I've been looking through the entire catalog of Creativitoys, and I don't think there's a single way to actually put in a real winstate into your levels?

Like, there's the victory tracker, but that's tracks combat stuff - if the player 1 kills an enemy, or if player 1 kills another player, etc. But there's no actual, formal, for realisies "reach this state and activate this Creativitoy and you've beaten this level," is there?

Barsinister

Banned
The winstate is when one player beats another. Are you expecting the level to load out or restart or something? When one goes into a toybox level, you stay there until you load another one.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
The winstate is when one player beats another. Are you expecting the level to load out or restart or something? When one goes into a toybox level, you stay there until you load another one.

Right, but despite giving us the tools to make 99% of, say, the Adventure mode levels, we cannot actually make adventures.

You can count kills or time laps, but there's no such thing as saying "Finish in under 45 seconds and you win" or "Kill all three waves and you win." At best you can throw up some confetti and then stand around staring at a now-conquered world and feeling empty.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So I picked up the Villain's pack from Target today with my wife, and a few more power discs, but most of them were dupes. One of the guys at work didn't have some of the ones I have, so he's going to trade me when we come back on Tuesday.

I'll probably go back to Target when they have their 2 for 1 sale on individuals an pick up Mrs. Incredible, Barbosa, and probably Mike or Dash. Whoever they have left. I just started the game, and it's very charming so far.

Barsinister

Banned
Right, but despite giving us the tools to make 99% of, say, the Adventure mode levels, we cannot actually make adventures.

You can count kills or time laps, but there's no such thing as saying "Finish in under 45 seconds and you win" or "Kill all three waves and you win." At best you can throw up some confetti and then stand around staring at a now-conquered world and feeling empty.

It's called a toybox for a reason. The cool thing is when you get bored you can change the level, make something else or load an entirely different level. I guess because I play with my daughter it's different. We race for a while, then play tag, shoot each other and laugh the whole time.

DodgerSan

Aside from the IP reason, there's also collectible placement to consider. 99% of the collectibles in the Cars playset would be completely trivial for a walking character with double-jump to collect, where they take some skill and planning with a car. Conversely, how would McQueen get to the tops of buildings in Metroville or MU?

As for the Cars story, it could be done by a human, but they'd need a car anyway as a lot of the set is racing-based. Also as far as I know there have never been any humans shown in the Cars/Planes movies have there?

Edit:
It's called a toybox for a reason. The cool thing is when you get bored you can change the level, make something else or load an entirely different level. I guess because I play with my daughter it's different. We race for a while, then play tag, shoot each other and laugh the whole time.

Me too :) I think people playing with their kids are going to get a lot more out of this, fun as it is by itself.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So me and my wife played the Incredibles playset for about 2 hours last night and had a really good time. We both thing the controls are janky, but the game is charming. She thinks the little citizens that roam around are absurdly cute, so she goes around picking them up and carrying them around, or jumping on their cars to "ride" with them.

We spent a little time fighting and throwing each other too while we tried to get all the collectibles. We aren't even close to finished, but I'll probably switch to Monsters Inc for today, since I know that playset isn't quite the best.

Ultimately, the game is better than I was expecting it to be, but of course, it has a long way to go. But then again, Assassin's Creed 1 was a flawed, but promising start to that franchise, and AC2 was incredible. I imagine the follow up to Infinity will be along those lines. But I do keep in mind that the game is geared towards an audience that is, quite literally, about 30 years younger than me. Lol.

devenger

How do you get the Teleporter? Is it in the Toy Vault? I've shuffled many many times and haven't been able to roll it, is it bad luck on my part or is it acquired somehow else?

Thanks

I have the same problem, I can only assume some normal part of the game I haven't tried adds it to the vault. I shuffled for half an hour last night, it's never come up. And it didn't sneak into my available toys.

I don't seem to have the step pad button either, for setting logic functions. I haven't done all of the mastery levels, and I saw both pieces in there. So maybe doing those puts their items in the vault? Trying it tonight (after kiddo's bedtime).

My big question: is that Fix-it Felix sky texture going to be one of the future discs? Or is it unlockable somehow already? Because I need that.

Tried explaining this to my Dad and step mom for my 7 year old brother. They were interested in Toy box mode, but were confused as to why you couldn't mix and match the figures with different sets. Having my knowledge limited to the Giantbomb cast and the OT, I couldn't really elaborate.
Do we still think this'll be the hot toy this Christmas?

I don't seem to have the step pad button either, for setting logic functions. I haven't done all of the mastery levels, and I saw both pieces in there. So maybe doing those puts their items in the vault? Trying it tonight (after kiddo's bedtime).

Yes, that's exactly it. The two Creativity Masteries unlock the basic logic toys for free, and add the rest into the vault.

Not sure if that's the teleporter issue though, since I don't think it's considered a Creativitoy.

Just got he game for wii u. Is there anyway to get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? Also how do I download the toy box levels from Disney?

Anyone know why the aspect ratio on the wii u version doesn't fill the TV screen? It's bothering me so bad.

devenger

Yes, that's exactly it. The two Creativity Masteries unlock the basic logic toys for free, and add the rest into the vault.

It did indeed.

Couldn't help but notice that the Fix-it Felix sky was on one of the mastery levels, so it shouldn't be a future disc. It didn't show up in my vault like the teleporter (and a slew of important others).

Want list (I assume for DI2,)

Alice
Robin Hood
Mowgli
Mary Poppins
Flynn
Stitch (I assume a shoe in)
Peter Pan
Wall-E

Just got he game for wii u. Is there anyway to get rid of the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen? Also how do I download the toy box levels from Disney?

Anyone know why the aspect ratio on the wii u version doesn't fill the TV screen? It's bothering me so bad.

Can't answer the black bars/aspect ratio issue, but when you're in the Toy Box go to Online/Multiplayer in the menus, and then Toy Box Share, and then Disney's Tox Boxes. Or something like that. Might not have the exact menus down.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

Just how they are rendering. It's all versions of the game. Yes black bars on the top and bottom. Smaller viewport means better performance :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I need to play this more. I've been SO swamped with work and personal stuff that the figures are just sitting. I have the full collection now, though...So I guess that's a plus.

Any official news on the next wave of stuff?

Tried explaining this to my Dad and step mom for my 7 year old brother. They were interested in Toy box mode, but were confused as to why you couldn't mix and match the figures with different sets. Having my knowledge limited to the Giantbomb cast and the OT, I couldn't really elaborate.

No idea how its selling, anecdotal evidence seems positive enough though and I imagine it will do ok in the Christmas period, especially the toy story set and maybe phineas and ferb

Loving the pirates game its a worthwhile game in its own right, what has impressed me most is I was expecting each playset to be pretty much the same game reskinned

Whilst they are basic they all have their own mechanics enough to feel like separate entities

Probably because I think TrU is supposed to push this pretty hard. They always have their Hot Toys list so I'd guess Disney Infinity will be on that list this year and there will be lots of deals between now and Xmas.

I was wondering why in the hell they'd not release characters like Toy Story and Mickey right away and thinking about it this is obviously why. They want to release the more popular ones closer to the shopping season and they're releasing Mickey in January right after Xmas (right when everyone will get the starter set and be talking about it).

To me it seems like they may have released a month or so too early for all this and it's pretty lame if Toy Story is the only other play set coming, but it'll probably still sell regardless.

SmithnCo

Is that the pink dragon from the thing about imagination? My sister liked that thing so much she got a plush toy.

Yep, a popular park-specific character but probably still too obscure to market as an actual figure. Hopefully can be an ingame item or two though in the future.

Any idea when the ios toybox app is going to get released? From my understanding is you can create levels and play them on the console versions?

qwerty2k

I've been so close to buying this for a week or two now, i really want it for ps4 tbh, but from what i've read its not coming out on next gen (yet) which leaves Wii U as my only other option (got ps3 but selling after gta V). One thing putting me off is the seemingly lack of content coming in terms of extra playsets.

Fewr

I've been so close to buying this for a week or two now, i really want it for ps4 tbh, but from what i've read its not coming out on next gen (yet) which leaves Wii U as my only other option (got ps3 but selling after gta V). One thing putting me off is the seemingly lack of content coming in terms of extra playsets.
Didn't someone mention that it's got more content than AXing New Leaf? That's loads and loads of stuff.

Would you rather they had timed unlocks for the content instead of letting you have it all from the start?

Once disney starts uploading users toy box levels, there will be as much content as users make. Hopefully people are making creative levels and missions. Also the wii u version runs great.

borghe

I bought everything in the vault. Still need to beat Incredibles (and Toy Story) but otherwise I have everything unlocked that you can get right now.

Started on a Cave of Wonders. I liked Disney's toy box they just put up but I really would like a massive cave with lots of treasure, unlockables, etc.

So far I am crazy impressed with their building tools. Also with their logic setups which actually may be better than LBP's logic. LBP still wins on building thanks to being able to intersect anything in that game. But overall it's really tough to complain here.

Anyway, I contemplated sending what I have to Disney but I really want to work on it more I think. Possibly thinking about adding capture the flag to it as well.

This is the Toys R Us event.

Screenshot2013-08-31at111348PM.png

xeris

There's always rumors but I hope the rumor that it's getting a rehaul is true. Can't really be worse than it is now.

Actually it can. The current one is the third version. The second one had no figment and was just the science of imagination bit he interrupts in this one.

eggwolio

Anyone else having any luck on changing your display name on the infinity site? It's been two weeks and I'm still "INFnumbers" instead of eggwolio.

XShagrath

Anyone else having any luck on changing your display name on the infinity site? It's been two weeks and I'm still "INFnumbers" instead of eggwolio.
I requested a name change sometime during the first week. Checked several times, and was still INFnumbers. Just logged in and I'm XShagrath now.

Frazley

Been loving this game! It isn't challenging in playsets, but I like having a game where I can just have fun! Preordered Woody and Jack.

borghe

To be 100% fair I have admittedly never played Minecraft. No hatred or anything, just literally have never gotten around to it.

With that being said, building my Cave of Wonders has been one of the most fulfilling experiences I've had in gaming. The tools Avalanche have provided are nothing short of breathtaking. Going through the playsets I wasn't sure if maybe the reviewers were a teeeeny bit lenient on the game for being "Disney". But after having spent the better part of two days I am in love. Most will probably think my cave is pedestrian or stupid.. But I am personally proud as can be.

And on a related note.. I don't even care that my Mike Wazowski building the cave is max level. The fact that he has become 100% endeared to me while doing it..... I really think that will be the magic of the Toy Box-only figures. Yes the collectors will wanna catch 'em all. But for most it will simply be about getting your favorite Disney character and not only navigating the amazing Disney curated Toy Boxes that are coming our way (and trust me... After two days of playing around... Omg there will be some amazing ones!!) BUT it will also be the figure you come sentimentally attached to as you create your own worlds as well.

I honestly don't even know how Disney and Avalanche are going to capture the magic of this game in a sequel. Tighten up some things and remove some bugs and this is honestly one of the top titles of this generation..

Ok, second exclusive TRU disc. Should be in a marked pack, right?

Anyone in US would kindly buy me one or two packs? I will pay any expense plus any reasonable fee for the effort. I hate to feed the ebay scalpers...
I'm a little worried that they say "blind packs only". Worried that we are going to get a mix between Mike's Car and Tron. Anyway I plan on buying a few packs just for like you're saying.. GAFers who are international. If you still need some and I get them ill gladly send it to you at cost plus shipping.

AGoodODST

Might have already been posted but here is an easy way to get unlimited spins in the vault.

Every time you load up a new Toy Box Launch from the pre built toyboxes, all the capsules are reset so you can collect them again. You can exploit this by placing a teleporter at the spawn and another on the mountain by the race track, then saving before picking up the capsule there. Pick up the capsule, quit. Load it up, teleport over and get the capsule, quit. Rinse and repeat.

Amneisac

I'm thinking about selling off our stuff. We played through the Cars playset and it was all right, but we're really not enjoying the Incredibles playset. We're playing 100% in co-op and it's just not a good experience with the splitscreen and the terrible frame rate.

I have a 360 Starter Kit, Cars Playset, Lone Ranger Playset, Companions Pack, and two packs of power discs.

Should I sell it off piecemeal or as a collection? Does anyone take trade ins on this stuff? Do they offer decent value?

borghe

My biggest problem with split screen isn't the frame rate but the horrible FOV. Then again increasing the FOV would only drop the frame rate further (no matter what it was at to start with). I honestly hope for DI2 they do co-op either Lego style, or improve the frame rate and widen the FOV.

Then again it doesn't help that I'm playing on Wii U with IMHO substandard wiimote controls. Needing to keep the camera placed does no favors for that control format, and until they allow for either Pro Controller or Classic Controller it's what we are stuck with.

As for selling it now. As a set might be alright right now because it's still brand new and plenty of people are looking to grab it. However you might have to wait a bit to get someone to bite on that much stuff or lower your price to a point where it's a no brainer.

Amneisac

I definitely agree with your complaints. The FOV is just awful. I can totally see where it's a great game single player. I'm actually really impressed with a lot of it, but it's just not a good couch co-op game for two adults. I think we'll just stick to Skylanders!

Yeah, I hope I don't take a bath on it. I'm in about $160 so far, and I'm hoping to get maybe $120 for all the kit, but we'll see how it goes.

I'm a little worried that they say "blind packs only". Worried that we are going to get a mix between Mike's Car and Tron. Anyway I plan on buying a few packs just for like you're saying.. GAFers who are international. If you still need some and I get them ill gladly send it to you at cost plus shipping.

Thanks, that would be great. I will PM you.

I guess what they mean by "blink pack" is that like the previous Mike's release, it will be a blind pack with one of the discs always being Tron. The pack should have something to distinguish it from the previous Mike's pack, otherwise it will be a mess in a few weeks when all 10 discs are released.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I bought the remaining Incredibles and Monsters Inc characters, since Target didn't have the 3 packs for them. I'm only missing the Cars group, and The Lone Ranger. I'm not terribly interested in Cars, to be honest, so I'll probably just snag The Lone Ranger once I find it, and then pick up the other sets/characters for the new characters when they release.

It's simple, but some of the challenges can be frustrating (like Mike's scare pig collectable race. That one is insanely frustrating, I quit at Silver. Gold is ridiculous, and I watched a video of a guy do it, and it looks like you have to be flawless).

I'll try my hand at creating a Toy Box once I've unlocked all the pieces. I'm doing Monster's University first, and have already put in over 5 and a half hours, but am nowhere near finished collecting everything, then I'll work on the other Toy Boxes once I'm finished. Outside of the janky controls, though, this really is quite charming.

I guess what they mean by "blink pack" is that like the previous Mike's release, it will be a blind pack with one of the discs always being Tron. The pack should have something to distinguish it from the previous Mike's pack, otherwise it will be a mess in a few weeks when all 10 discs are released.

Quoting myself because I found an answer. People over disneyinfinityfans are discussing this issue and they found out that packs are identical to the previous Mike's car pack, however they carry a different UPC number.

Mike's car pack = 712725024000
Tron pack = 712725023980

So you will be able to be sure about which pack you are getting by the UPC/bar code. The package is exactly the same however, which is lame, since Europe/Australia are getting them clearly labeled.

Top Bottom