• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy |OT| - better than your fanfiction

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So what's the progression like in the single player portion of the game? Like do you go through dungeons and fight dudes in there or what? Because while the first game was kinda fun, the way it was set up was kinda boring...

Also, is the game tougher? Cuz the first game was piss easy from what I played of it...

But yeah... I wanna give this game a chance. I kinda liked the first game, so if this really does improve upon what the original did right, I'll probably give it a shot.

Chacranajxy said:
So what's the progression like in the single player portion of the game? Like do you go through dungeons and fight dudes in there or what? Because while the first game was kinda fun, the way it was set up was kinda boring...

Also, is the game tougher? Cuz the first game was piss easy from what I played of it...

But yeah... I wanna give this game a chance. I kinda liked the first game, so if this really does improve upon what the original did right, I'll probably give it a shot.
Hiya Chac.

For me, it was alright. You walk around on a world map of sorts, and in order to get to the next area of the map (for that character), you have to unlock a gate. The unlock process is basically going into a board similar to the Destiny Boards in the first game, but with no turn requirements to get items. Instead, you get Story Mode currency depending on how many fights in a row you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xec3wX0eiIQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=280s

Basically this video (it should be linked to the proper time so you don't have to sit through a cutscene, but in case it isn't, skip to 4:40) shows the world map and a gate unlock. Those glowing balls that she's slapping are ability orbs. Hit about four of them and you get an ability to use on a board (like "Jump" from the first game, for example). Since it's the beginning chapter, there's no enemies on the board, but in later levels, they can be filled to the brim. The video also goes into a "real" chapter afterwards, so you can see what Lightning's first sections look like.

As for difficulty, it kinda depends on whether or not you level up the story mode characters or not. I kinda "cheated" and got them up to around 20-30 to quicken things up. It's obviously harder if you don't do that, of course. The game is way harder in terms of certain character's abilities of getting in, though. Warrior of Light is a huge pain in the ass all of a sudden thanks to his changes.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Professor Beef said:
Hiya Chac.

For me, it was alright. You walk around on a world map of sorts, and in order to get to the next area of the map (for that character), you have to unlock a gate. The unlock process is basically going into a board similar to the Destiny Boards in the first game, but with no turn requirements to get items. Instead, you get Story Mode currency depending on how many fights in a row you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xec3wX0eiIQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=280s

Basically this video (it should be linked to the proper time so you don't have to sit through a cutscene, but in case it isn't, skip to 4:40) shows the world map and a gate unlock. Those glowing balls that she's slapping are ability orbs. Hit about four of them and you get an ability to use on a board (like "Jump" from the first game, for example). Since it's the beginning chapter, there's no enemies on the board, but in later levels, they can be filled to the brim. The video also goes into a "real" chapter afterwards, so you can see what Lightning's first sections look like.

As for difficulty, it kinda depends on whether or not you level up the story mode characters or not. I kinda "cheated" and got them up to around 20-30 to quicken things up. It's obviously harder if you don't do that, of course. The game is way harder in terms of certain character's abilities of getting in, though. Warrior of Light is a huge pain in the ass all of a sudden thanks to his changes.

Yo, it's tha beef! Thanks for the detailed run down... I might give this a shot after all, especially after that video.

Bumping for the store being back up. Onion Knight, Emperor, and Zidane outfits are up for grabs (hope I didn't miss anyone else).

Does anybody have any clue what the names of the extra songs are? I might bite if they're worth it, but they don't have names attached to them in the store description.

rataven

Sephy, Laguna, Kuja, Yuna, and Vaan's alts are also available. From what I can tell, all of the non-preorder announced DLC is now available on the NA store, except for Bartz, Terra, Shantotto, and Gilgee's alts.

I downloaded the BGM packs, but have received error messages when I try to install them on all except for II and VII. So I only have those track listings:

FFII - Tower of the Magi, The Princess's Seduction, Revival
VII - The Chase, Electric de Chocobo, Birth of a God

rataven

Go figure, still can't get VIII's to install, but here are the tracks from III and IX.

III - The Boundless Ocean, Good ol' Fellows, Forbidden Land
IX - Swords of Fury, Festival of the Hunt, Roses of May

rataven

Sorry for the double post, but here's the full list of the new stuff on the NA store. Not sure if the other regions have the same content.

BGM packs for:
II - Tower of the Magi, The Princess's Seduction, Revival
III - The Boundless Ocean, Good ol' Fellows, Forbidden Land
VII - The Chase, Electric de Chocobo, Birth of a God
VIII - Liberi Fatali, The Landing, Shuffle or Boogie
IX - Swords of Fury, Festival of the Hunt, Roses of May
X - Enemy Attack, Assault, Final Battle
XII - Flash of Steel, Discord, Respite

New DLC costumes:
Vaan (pirate)
Zidane (Marcus's Cloak)
Sephiroth (Kingdom Hearts)
Laguna (Knight)
Kuja (Treno Nobleman)
Yuna (Gunner Dressphere)
Onion Knight (Ingus)
Emperor (Arubboth)

So I bought this. I hate fighters, but I played this for 7 hours last night! It was very engaging and the nostalgia factor is great. One minor caveat. I got it for PSP Go and NO MANUAL! What gives?

Guess I'm kinda used to having digitized manuals for my PS1 classics :(

RpgN

malingenie said:
So I bought this. I hate fighters, but I played this for 7 hours last night! It was very engaging and the nostalgia factor is great. One minor caveat. I got it for PSP Go and NO MANUAL! What gives?

Tell me about it, most games don't have them anymore. It's pissing me off. We need to make a thread about it!

Aru

malingenie said:

The game has an incredibly deep in-game manual. There's no need for a "standard" manual. Seriously, Dissidia (+ 012) has the best in-game manual EVER.

RpgN

Aru said:
The game has an incredibly deep in-game manual. There's no need for a "standard" manual. Seriously, Dissidia (+ 012) has the best in-game manual EVER.

That's true but most games don't have it anymore. Like Ys games. Ys I&II Chronicles needed a manual for the guide that was important to have. I think the US version of PSN has it but we don't, most devs are not including them for the EU anymore it seems.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME...

20 hrs in and NOW they open the crack soup that is Labyrinth mode? This game has incredible depth!!!

Surprise purchase of the year for me! Worth every SQUARE TAX (TM) I paid for it!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow, I need to get these DLCs, just noticed there's new stuff since the store went back online.

I just unlocked North Continent in 000 Mode. Some of the dungeons there are really meh... just cheap. It's making me want to quit from finishing that mode and just go to Labyrinth Mode. I guess I just need better equipment and stuff. It makes me sad that we can't use DLC and costumes in Story Mode, only in Arcade modes.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just got some Lufiean Gear from one of the dungeons in 000. Awesome stuff, pretty much makes everything that you can buy in the shop pointless though. Is there a good list of the BEST equipment and weapons for each character floating around somewhere?

Adam Prime said:
Just got some Lufiean Gear from one of the dungeons in 000. Awesome stuff, pretty much makes everything that you can buy in the shop pointless though. Is there a good list of the BEST equipment and weapons for each character floating around somewhere?
It all depends on the character and how you play, or what set of equipment bonuses you want, or if you're using artifacts.

Dissidiaforums probably has a list, but the site overhaul makes things harder to find. :|

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yo so what's the furthest everyone has gotten in the Labyrinth?

I just loaded up on some DLC music, looking forward to really tackling that thing this week. It's tough, I'll be happy if I just make it half way through, I'm at 25% now.

creid

Just finished 012 last weekend, started up on 013. Are the cutscenes in 013 identical to those from the original Dissidia? I want to skip them, but only if I've seen them before. I would imagine the dialogue before/after the cutscenes are new.

creid said:
Just finished 012 last weekend, started up on 013. Are the cutscenes in 013 identical to those from the original Dissidia? I want to skip them, but only if I've seen them before. I would imagine the dialogue before/after the cutscenes are new.
I believe there's a couple of new ones sprinkled in, but they're mostly the same.

Dear god the amount of content this game has astounds me. I have over 200 hours on the first Dissidia and now I have over 100 hours on this one and I still haven't even been in the Labyrinth mode or played a ad hoc battle.

There's almost too much too do.

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Dear god the amount of content this game has astounds me. I have over 200 hours on the first Dissidia and now I have over 100 hours on this one and I still haven't even been in the Labyrinth mode or played a ad hoc battle.

There's almost too much too do.
I'm not even going to bother with ad-hoc yet until I finish up 000 and get some solid equipment. I have a feeling that's going to take me even longer than I hoped, especially with the random nature of some of the chests.

btkadams

played the dissidia (first one) demo yesterday on my new psp go. i typically can't get into fighting games because they require insane button combo skills which i feel is too steep of a learning curve for me. the demo interested me though because it felt almost more like a kingdom hearts battle game or something (which is totally what i would dig i think). is my assumption pretty realistic? the extra battle mechanics seemed complicated but apparently you get it after a few hours.

i'm just wondering if i should start with dissidia 1 or to play this one. is this one better? does it have the characters from the first, and then some?

btkadams said:
played the dissidia (first one) demo yesterday on my new psp go. i typically can't get into fighting games because they require insane button combo skills which i feel is too steep of a learning curve for me. the demo interested me though because it felt almost more like a kingdom hearts battle game or something (which is totally what i would dig i think). is my assumption pretty realistic? the extra battle mechanics seemed complicated but apparently you get it after a few hours.

i'm just wondering if i should start with dissidia 1 or to play this one. is this one better? does it have the characters from the first, and then some?
The sequel has all of the characters from the first game + more. You should definitely get the ssequel.

Luigi87

btkadams said:

It has the entire story of the first game in it, so just go with this one.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
They should just burn every copy of the original Dissidia. Not a reason in the world to own that game over Duocidiem.

Finally beat Scenario 000, and lemme tell you: the final version of Feral Chaos is a certified motherfucker. 285k health? Get out of here with that shit. If it wasn't for the game practically pushing the Level 1 Iai Strike build on you, it would've been nearly impossible.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Professor Beef said:
Finally beat Scenario 000, and lemme tell you: the final version of Feral Chaos is a certified motherfucker. 285k health? Get out of here with that shit. If it wasn't for the game practically pushing the Level 1 Iai Strike build on you, it would've been nearly impossible.
yeah no joke, I just beat it with the Iai Strike. I don't know if I have respect or disgust with those with the paintence to beat him otherwise...

Adam Prime said:
yeah no joke, I just beat it with the Iai Strike. I don't know if I have respect or disgust with those with the paintence to beat him otherwise...
I feel more disgusted with the fact that I used 5 KP Bonus items to get 50k+ KP, and I've spent nearly all of it.

Adam Prime said:

Oh, so does that mean I'm not allowed here then :)

I did manage it a after a few attempts but it took me two party members to actually beat him. Maybe that should be a new challenge for me :p. Beat it in one go...

MooMoo

Jeels said:
Was this title not discounted even at launch?
US MSRP was $30, so I don't know what Square Enix tax he's talking about. Pretty cheap for Square Enix considering it also comes with Dissidia 1 in it. I should get back into this game. Bought it at launch but barely played it.

Electivirus said:
*gets in battle with gold-colored Manikin symbol*

*gets annihilated in seconds*

What the fuck just happened.
The gold ones always have some sort of stupid equip setup (usually revolving around 1 HP/beat you in seconds). They're not normally that hard to beat though.

Can I just say that it really sucks that we don't have the Bartz and Terra alt DLC costumes on the PSN Store? They were listed in a store update but not actually put on there, which I can only wonder the reason why.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Can I just say that it really sucks that we don't have the Bartz and Terra alt DLC costumes on the PSN Store? They were listed in a store update but not actually put on there, which I can only wonder the reason why.
I'm more mad about Squall's KH outfit not being in the store at all.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
HiddenAway said:
Oh, so does that mean I'm not allowed here then :)

I did manage it a after a few attempts but it took me two party members to actually beat him. Maybe that should be a new challenge for me :p. Beat it in one go...
what setup and character did you use? And to be clear... Feral Chaos, right?

Professor Beef said:
I'm more mad about Squall's KH outfit not being in the store at all.
I have hope it'll get put on the US PSN eventually. Europe got the KH Cloud outfit that was only offered as a pre-order bonus and as a first print run bonus in US and JP. (Gamestop and Birth by Sleep: Final Mix, respectively)

Professor Beef said:
The gold ones always have some sort of stupid equip setup (usually revolving around 1 HP/beat you in seconds). They're not normally that hard to beat though.

Yeah the 1HP is the key. Just spam HP attacks until you connect. Trying to break one is an exercise in frustration.

Adam Prime said:
what setup and character did you use? And to be clear... Feral Chaos, right?

It was a combination of Onion Knight and Warrior of Light. Unfortunately, I have changed both of my character's equipment since then but if you're interested, I did stick the replays up on YouTube (if you can bear to watch ;)). I don't believe I used the Labyrinth equipment at the time either as I wasn't that far in at the time (now 100% completed).

Onion Knight vs Feral Chaos (Fight 1 - 6 mins)
Warrior of Light vs Feral Chaos (Fight 2 - 9 mins)

Since that fight, I've just been sticking with the heavy damage accessories (basics) and supplementing them with the boosters. It's also about getting the timing right - and patience :p

I have beaten Feral Chaos in a single battle - until I realised that it was a lot weaker than the Story mode :p

One thing that I found out from DForums is that there's a glitch with the Wall Rush HP damage and the final Feral Chaos fight. It involves the Iai Strike Level 1 build, so it's not hard to do.

Basically, when you knock him against the wall, you do more than 20k damage because of the boosters, but the game only shows the 9999 + 9999. It's very handy, although I wish I had known about it before I cleared Scenario 000.

Posting this now before I lose it :p

I did go through the last section of Scenario 000 and met up with Feral Chaos again. After a number of failed attempts last night and this morning, I did manage to beat him in one with my old friend the Warrior of Light.

Here's the setup that I used:

Abilities (Basics only)
-----------------------------------------
Ground Evasion
Midair Evasion
Ground Block
Midair Block
Aerial Recovery
Recovery Attack
Controlled Recovery
Wall Jump
Free Air Dash
Assist Gauge Up Dash
Speed Boost++
Jump Boost++
Ground Evasion Boost
Midair Evasion Boost
Evasion Boost

Always Target Indicator
Ex Core Lock On
Assist Lock On

Counterattack
Sneak Attack
First Strike
Riposte
Disable Riposte
EXP to HP

Equipment
Lufenian Dagger
Lufenian Greatshield
Lufenian Helm
Lufenian Vest

(Seal of Lufenia: Ex Gauge Depletion+5%)

Accessories
Power Ring (Damage+3%)
Hyper Ring (Damage+5%)
Muscle Belt (Physical Damage+7%)
Bravery Orb (BRV Recovery+30%)
Large Gap in HP (1.5 times)
Brave >= Base Value (1.3 times)
After Summon (1.3 times)
Aerial (1.5 times)
Opp HP >= 10000 (1.3 times)
Level Gap >= 30 (1.5 times)

Summon: Ifrit (Auto)

I was forced to use Kuja as my assist but he did work surprisingly well :)

All said and done, I'm still not sure we're fighting the same Feral Chaos. The one I beat only had 120k HP. Is there a tougher one than that?!

I'll edit this post when and if I get the video uploaded.

Edit: Here's the video

Professor Beef said:
Maybe I was reading his health wrong, because I looked it up and it is indeed 125k-ish.

Phew - I thought there was a tougher one out there :S

If you didn't catch my edit, I've got the video up now. Not the best quality I could get as the game doesn't allow you to use the high quality encodes if the battle is longer than 3 minutes :p

Top Bottom