• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy |OT| - better than your fanfiction

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
fernoca said:
Well, after playing the hell out of the first one and got a friend into it..then ignoring everything about it since I knew it would be good anyway; I just got 012 (mostly thanks to that same friend). :)

Don't know if I'll main Cloud again like in the first one, but wow! I'm really liking it so far..plus the one song I wanted in the first one (Force your Way from VIII) made it to this one.; so that automatically makes it better! XD

As with The 3rd Birthday, no digital booklet for Go-version; oh well.

The in-game manual is one of the best I've ever seen. Every tip screen is written "In-character" of the Final Fantasy characters that's presenting it. It's extremely fun to read all of the help screens in the game...

I just started 000 dungeon. A tip for others who are just starting, there are two nice places for grinding KP and AP... mostly AP.

Grinding AP

In the second dungeon there is a battle square that "Protects Accessories". If you equip the Diamond equipment from winning in Arcade Mode it gives you AP+100/200/400%. So equip all three, clear the two battles on the square. Exit the dungeon and repeat. You can also equip other 100% Break accessories that will help you win easier...

Grinding PP

This is not as efficient, but it works in the short term. There are some later dungeons in 000 that apparently give you better PP payouts. Anyways, basically in the first dungeon you can use the Jump ability twice to reach the exit. Set yourself to Lv1, the battle line is Lv 50. Giving you 49KP for finishing without fighting. With your newly earned KP go to the next moogle and purchase more Jump abilities and complete this again.

So in two dungeon runs = 98 KP - 4x Jump (6 KP each = 24KP) = Net gain 74 KP

Not the best, but it will help you buy whatever 'Limited' stuff that the first Moogle is selling when you start 000.

Adam Prime said:
The in-game manual is one of the best I've ever seen. Every tip screen is written "In-character" of the Final Fantasy characters that's presenting it. It's extremely fun to read all of the help screens in the game...

I just started 000 dungeon. A tip for others who are just starting, there are two nice places for grinding KP and AP... mostly AP.

Grinding AP

In the second dungeon there is a battle square that "Protects Accessories". If you equip the Diamond equipment from winning in Arcade Mode it gives you AP+100/200/400%. So equip all three, clear the two battles on the square. Exit the dungeon and repeat. You can also equip other 100% Break accessories that will help you win easier...

Grinding PP

This is not as efficient, but it works in the short term. There are some later dungeons in 000 that apparently give you better PP payouts. Anyways, basically in the first dungeon you can use the Jump ability twice to reach the exit. Set yourself to Lv1, the battle line is Lv 50. Giving you 49KP for finishing without fighting. With your newly earned KP go to the next moogle and purchase more Jump abilities and complete this again.

So in two dungeon runs = 98 KP - 4x Jump (6 KP each = 24KP) = Net gain 74 KP

Not the best, but it will help you buy whatever 'Limited' stuff that the first Moogle is selling when you start 000.

GameFAQs has a pretty amazing EXP/AP/PP/KP Grinding guide too, if you're interested.

fernoca

So I continued playing this earlier the "just 10 minutes before going to bed" turned into 2 hours... :p

During this, "discovered" the RPG-Mode, and I really like it, probably more than the traditional/adventure way of moving around. Or..am I doing it wrong? :p

I really liked controlling the game that way, feels more.. Final Fantasy that way, for a lack of a better way to describe it. The character dialogs/conversations are still fun too. Like Hey Light, from where does those petals come from when you do an attack?".. XD

The 3D-exploration map was a nice addition too, really like how it looks.

ezekial45

Banned
Just spent the last hour trying to beat Feral Chaos in the southern lufernia gateway in 000. I know there is a harder version of him later, but this is just ridiculous. I got three lvl 100's with me and it's still a challenge. The fact that he has so much health is what makes it so hard.

FUCK YOU BOSS DESIGNERS!!!!!!

I've found that the easiest way to defeat Feral Chaos is to just break away at his HP slowly with Brave to HP attacks. Firion's rope knife to double trouble seems to work the best.

I came here to post a question though. I'm trying to craft everyone's final weapon, and Im wondering if you can get the rare character specific materials (i.e. Twin Form, The Youth's Dream, Medal of Honor, etc.) through battlegen. You could in the last game but they're not on my battlegen list. Getting megalixirs is a pain in the ass.

I'd comb the internet but I'm posting this from my phone and for some reason wiki sites don't work on my browser. Don't really have a place to set up my computer anymore. So any help would be awesome.

RyuHayate

I'm interested in picking this up but I have one question: Is Gabranth playable from the get go or does he have to be unlocked first?

Thanks in advance!

xion4360

RyuHayate said:
I'm interested in picking this up but I have one question: Is Gabranth playable from the get go or does he have to be unlocked first?

Thanks in advance!

you can play with almost everyone from the start I think.... But they will be at lvl 1 unless you import save data

I dont know if it was because I imported that I had characters unlocked or if they didn't need to be

RyuHayate said:

Thanks in advance!
If you don't import a save, I don't think he's playable from the get go.

Ezalc

ezekial45 said:
Just spent the last hour trying to beat Feral Chaos in the southern lufernia gateway in 000. I know there is a harder version of him later, but this is just ridiculous. I got three lvl 100's with me and it's still a challenge. The fact that he has so much health is what makes it so hard.

FUCK YOU BOSS DESIGNERS!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat bro. People here told me to use Yuna and spam Mega flare, which didn't work out for very long since if he dodges it, you're fucked since Yuna moves slow as shit.

xion4360

Ezalc said:
I'm in the same boat bro. People here told me to use Yuna and spam Mega flare, which didn't work out for very long since if he dodges it, you're fucked since Yuna moves slow as shit.

no your not screwed... stay on the opposite side of the arena and keep throwing it at him repeatedly, or even whip out valefors air bravery attack forgot the name but he comes out spinning.. if chaos happens to get close to you that could push him away. He wont try to come at you while you are casting Mega Flare and you will hit him, how often depends somewhat on your positioning usually he falls into it when trying to dodge. He has this attack where he screams, and one where he drops to the ground or something, pretty much guaranteed hit with Mega Flare

According to the PSblog store update, this week they stuck on the music DLC, for FF1, 4 and 13. Also, obviously FFIV came out on PSP today so the code is in the retail box.

rataven

Here's the track listing for the DLC BGM packs, if anyone's interested. Each pack is priced at $0.99. Not bad!

I: "Airship", "Battle", "Castle Cornelia", "Menu Screen", "Chaos Shrine"
IV: "Golbez, Clad in Darkness", "Within the Giant", and "The Final Battle"
XIII: "Dust to Dust", "Eidolons", "Fighting Fate", "Eden Under Siege", the Japanese language version of "Chocobos of Cocoon"

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I purchased the XIII pack, haven't installed it yet. $.99 is a steal! I'm going to purchase all of them, I hope they roll these out for all FF games.

$.99 DLC! Com'on everyone purchase!!

Really enjoying the 000 Scenario. Battles are little bit tougher, but man there is some NICE loot to be found!

Just curious: what are everyone's Main Characters?

Right now in 000 Scenario I'm just rolling with 3 Lv100s: Yuna, Warrior of Light, and Kain.
Yuna has such quick start-ups in all her Brave and HP attacks. Easy as hell to punish anyone with a Brave or HP. Kain is just fun to play, abusive Jump attacks make using him a lot. And WoL is top tier because everything he does can chain into an HP attack.

I also really enjoy this strategy: having a ranged Brave attack with fast recovery and spamming it over to build Assist meter. This is the best with Yuna, once I have a full meter - I go in, connect a Brave attack and easily link it to an HP.

Beth Cyra

Adam Prime said:
I purchased the XIII pack, haven't installed it yet. $.99 is a steal! I'm going to purchase all of them, I hope they roll these out for all FF games.

$.99 DLC! Com'on everyone purchase!!

Really enjoying the 000 Scenario. Battles are little bit tougher, but man there is some NICE loot to be found!

Just curious: what are everyone's Main Characters?

Right now in 000 Scenario I'm just rolling with 3 Lv100s: Yuna, Warrior of Light, and Kain.
Yuna has such quick start-ups in all her Brave and HP attacks. Easy as hell to punish anyone with a Brave or HP. Kain is just fun to play, abusive Jump attacks make using him a lot. And WoL is top tier because everything he does can chain into an HP attack.

I also really enjoy this strategy: having a ranged Brave attack with fast recovery and spamming it over to build Assist meter. This is the best with Yuna, once I have a full meter - I go in, connect a Brave attack and easily link it to an HP.

My main's are Cloud, if you play the wait and punish he is super powerful and wall crashes on almost every thing so a ton of damage. Plus he is just my favorite character.

Outside of him I use Squall and Vaan.

rataven

Cloud's my main with WoL a close second, and Kain and Bartz rounding out my motley crew. The fifth spot is usually random, but I'm leaning towards adding Prishe. She's just too fun.

I'm so thrilled with Cloud's improvements in 012. He feels like an honest threat now, and there really isn't anything more satisfying that hitting stuff HARD with him. Plus all that wall rush damage adds up quick.

Grabbed all the DLC BGM packs too. They're definitely each worth the $0.99.

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201104/21042797.html

Next week's JP DLC announced: Emperor and Onion Knight costumes.

Emperor's 4th costume is based on his appearance in the Soul of Rebirth scenario:

XKoGX.jpg

Qyqcl.jpg

Onion Knight's 4th costume is based on a new super deformed art:

oUizy.jpg

Nhh6n.jpg

peNWS.jpg

Also coming next week are music packs for FF2 and FF3.

Beth Cyra

duckroll said:
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201104/21042797.html

Next week's JP DLC announced: Emperor and Onion Knight costumes.

Emperor's 4th costume is based on his appearance in the Soul of Rebirth scenario:

XKoGX.jpg

Qyqcl.jpg

Onion Knight's 4th costume is based on a new super deformed art:

oUizy.jpg

Nhh6n.jpg

peNWS.jpg

Also coming next week are music packs for FF2 and FF3.
Even if it's based on something, all the Ultimecia and Empy shippers will be happy since it looks like they gave him her bangs and similar hair/metal spikes going out from the sides of their heads.

I'm pretty excited for some of the costumes to arrive in the US. Maybe that will be some motivation to get through the story. Question, how far in the story must one go to unlock the store? I'm leveling up characters without accessories and weapons for the most part and it's becoming a difficult endeavor. The only reason I haven't really bothered with the story is that I've been busy with other games and I'm not looking forward to more of Dissidia's story.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
RadioHeadAche said:
I'm pretty excited for some of the costumes to arrive in the US. Maybe that will be some motivation to get through the story. Question, how far in the story must one go to unlock the store? I'm leveling up characters without accessories and weapons for the most part and it's becoming a difficult endeavor. The only reason I haven't really bothered with the story is that I've been busy with other games and I'm not looking forward to more of Dissidia's story.

... um, I'm pretty sure it's available from the outset. Are you talking about the 012 chapter? I don't remember, but you just go to the Character menu, and on the bottom is the Store option underneath Accessories, Summons, Abilities, etc.

I started the game off with a save file from the previous, I don't remember having to unlock the store.

While I'm glad for the recognition of FFIIIDS, I was really hoping for Freelancer Luneth. This new costume for Onion Knight has the same problem that I have with his first alternate costume--Onion Knight was the super job in FFIIIDS. He's downgrading in his EX Mode. urrrggghh

Aw. Those are good outfits but man I want something for my main (Cloud of Darkness). Wonder why they're mixing up the releases now instead of putting out two from the same series together (like Zidane and Kuja).

Oyashiro

So I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this game, if someone could clarify some things for me I'd really appreciate it...

-What do those little yellow symbols next to an attack mean?
-What do you guys mean when you say that an attack "chains into an HP attack"?
-I'm horrible at blocking enemy attacks, what's the best way to practice (if there is one)?

EDIT: Also, quick question about 013 story mode. If I go into a gate overleveled and finish the gate with some negative KP, will it actually be subtracted from my overall KP? Or does it only count for the current gate Im in?

Aru

Finished 012's story. The events were really predictable once
Kain and WoL reveal the plan
. The whole story (with 013) isn't really interesting, but at least there is a story to keep us moving forward. It's better than most stories in fighting games anyway (the bar wasn't really high, I know lol).

I like the new characters. My fav may be Vaan, and that's really unexpected. I hate the character himself but his battle style is awesome :D
Laguna is strong but it takes a lot of time to master him... Yuna is okay, I think. Tifa ? I like her as well.
But my second fav would be Lightning, even if I barely use Paradigm Shift at all (it's not really useful...).
Oh and I forgot about Kain... He is way better than Cecil, that's for sure.

Now I can finally try Labyrinth Mode !

rataven

Oyashiro said:
So I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this game, if someone could clarify some things for me I'd really appreciate it...

-I'm horrible at blocking enemy attacks, what's the best way to practice (if there is one)?

EDIT: Also, quick question about 013 story mode. If I go into a gate overleveled and finish the gate with some negative KP, will it actually be subtracted from my overall KP? Or does it only count for the current gate Im in?
I'll give this a go.

- Not quite sure what you are referring to here. Is it a gold symbol marked with an 'M'? That just means you've mastered the ability and it takes less CP to equip it.

- Some bravery attacks evolve into combos once you've mastered the attack. You can then equip the sub-attack to create chains. A lot of them chain into an HP attack, which is often times easier to land than an HP attack on it's own. For instance, once you've mastered Cloud's Slashing Blow brave attack, he'll learn Omnislash V5 as a sub- HP attack. If you get the timing right, the two attacks can be chained to create a fluid Brv -> HP combo.

- You can't block everything, so make sure to learn how to evade as well. Blocking is great for projectiles and weak Brv attacks, but most HP attacks will crush through a block. However, with attacks you can block, it's really a matter of timing. Learn your opponents queues (what they say before the attack, or the animation they're doing).

- The game won't subtract from your overall KP if you finish a gate with a negative amount, but you won't earn any either.

Oyashiro said:

-If a move has a yellow diamond next to the name, it means that you learn a new move when you master that one.

-Connected to the above--all Brave attacks that have said diamond next to their name indicates that, upon mastering it, you learn an HP attack that links directly from said attack. These HP attacks flow directly from the Brave attack they are linked to. Like rataven said; upon mastering Slashing Blow, Cloud learns Omnislash Ver. 5. If you equip Omnislash Ver. 5, after landing the first two hits of Slashing Blow, you can press Square to immediately go into Omnislash Ver. 5, which deals HP damage on top of Brave damage instead of only Brave damage, effectively allowing you to use Slashing Blow as an HP attack as well as a standalone Bravery attack.

Not every character has Brave->HP links. Sephiroth, for instance, has none, while Golbez, on the other hand, has an HP link for nearly every one of his Bravery attacks.

Jecht is a special case--he can literally combo straight from his Bravery attacks into any one of his standalone HP attacks. It all depends on the direction you sent his Bravery combos in and whether or not you perfected the timing. So, say you do his aerial Brave attack, Jecht Stream, and send the opponent straight forward for the first hit stream and then downwards for the second; during the downwards hits of his second string, there's a small window of opportunity where you can do his Triumphant Grasp HP attack by inputting the command you have it set to (like down+Square), comboing straight into it.

Aru

Labyrinth mode is pretty interesting but... you can't equip weapons, accessories and summons from the main game ?

Aru said:
Labyrinth mode is pretty interesting but... you can't equip weapons, accessories and summons from the main game ?
Nope, unless you got one of those items with the little icon next to them and even those you can lose if you die in the Labyrinth. You can pitch a tent at any point and that will save the items you've collected but the tent will be placed wherever you stopped on the Labyrinth so you gotta choose wisely. If you go through an exit, you can put it all into a Cottage that will be placed somewhere randomly in the Labyrinth.

duckroll

GoldandBlue said:
Aw. Those are good outfits but man I want something for my main (Cloud of Darkness). Wonder why they're mixing up the releases now instead of putting out two from the same series together (like Zidane and Kuja).

Well. If you count the 4th costumes which are pre-order bonuses or magazine freebies, here are the character who have 4th costumes released or announced now:

FF1: WoL
FF2: Emperor
FF3: Onion Knight
FF4: Cecil
FF7: Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa
FF8: Squall, Laguna
FF9: Zidane, Kuja
FF10: Yuna
FF12: Vaan
FF13: Lightning

While leaves FF5 and FF6 as the only games were no character has a 4th costume yet. Seems likely that FF5 and FF6 will have characters in the next batch, before they start filling in the other blanks in the other games.

Ezalc

duckroll said:
Well. If you count the 4th costumes which are pre-order bonuses or magazine freebies, here are the character who have 4th costumes released or announced now:

FF1: WoL
FF2: Emperor
FF3: Onion Knight
FF4: Cecil
FF7: Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa
FF8: Squall, Laguna
FF9: Zidane, Kuja
FF10: Yuna
FF12: Vaan
FF13: Lightning

While leaves FF5 and FF6 as the only games were no character has a 4th costume yet. Seems likely that FF5 and FF6 will have characters in the next batch, before they start filling in the other blanks in the other games.

I think they'll make another Costume for WoL considering all they did with the 4th was remove his helmet...

duckroll

Ezalc said:
I think they'll make another Costume for WoL considering all they did with the 4th was remove his helmet...

Not before everyone else gets a 4th though. I don't think the 4th costume is the last costume. I expect every character to have at least 2 DLC costumes. They're in this for the long run.

Adam Prime said:
... um, I'm pretty sure it's available from the outset. Are you talking about the 012 chapter? I don't remember, but you just go to the Character menu, and on the bottom is the Store option underneath Accessories, Summons, Abilities, etc.

I started the game off with a save file from the previous, I don't remember having to unlock the store.

I just checked and it said it was not open. I too imported my Dissidia 1 save, but I can't access the store.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
RadioHeadAche said:
I just checked and it said it was not open. I too imported my Dissidia 1 save, but I can't access the store.

How far are you into the game? Maybe you have to beat the first few chapters of 012 first...? Sorry, I don't remember.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Aru said:

There's a great post by Duckroll explaining the intracries of the Labyrinth Mode a few pages back. Labyrinth Mode is confusing at first... then it makes sense and you'll probably enjoy it.

Quick answer: You come into the Labyrinth with nothing, and if you lose you'll leave with nothing. If you hit certain check points or exit under your own will, you'll "leave" your items in a room in the Labyrinth (it will show you which room on your map before you enter) that you'll get to recover in another trip.

Aru

BrokenEchelon said:
Is it worth it at all to buy the original Dissidia now that this is out?

Since you have to do everything again in the sequel, no.
The only things you keep are: characters levels (which you can reset when importing), PP catalog bought items and abilities.
The entire structure of the original game is different in Duodecim and I found it fun to do it again while applying the bonus restrictions to keep some challenge.
Also, unlocking items is easier in Duodecim (thanks to the new way of earning points).

Buy Duodecim.

this game is so much fun. I'm just going through story mode...uh, cutscenes off thx. Now that I have the hang of the controls and all the insanity the game throws at you, I'm kind of hooked. Sounds amazing through headphones.

Reminds me of PS1 era square, when they used to take chances!

Running around with Vaan makes me want a FFXII PSP port. or FFX. Some turn based and 3D FF game.

Aru

The only good thing about the cutscenes is how they managed to transcribe the original characters personality. Even in the voice acting (which isn't great but it fits the characters).
The story is even more convoluted in Duodecim, which I didn't mind because it kept me thinking about how everything is tied together.

i love the FFXII music. screw the haters who said the ost was forgettable. I hope they managed to work "Time For A Rest" in there. it's the only game song I have on my iphone...aside from the 8-bit Okami ost, but I've been meaning to delete most of that.

Netto-kun

More DLCs incoming.

Already posted: Butz getting the dancer alt.
butz_dancer.jpg

Tina's DLC alt is named "Monotone Stripe". Based on Amano art.
tina_monotone.jpg

Wedding dress for Shantotto
shantotto_wedding.jpg

Music from FFV, VI and XI.
dlc_music.jpg

DLC alt for
Gilgamesh. From what I gathered, this is how he'll look like in Type-0.
Download code for this DLC was given to those who attended the Dissidia 012 Battle Tournament.
gilgamesh_zeroshiki.jpg

Top Bottom