• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Dragon Commander |OT| The political RTS/TBS/RPG/Action game

I didn't have too much trouble so far, but the first RTS battle was more challenging than I'd expect. I guess "normal" difficulty really means "normal" in this game.

All that "hand holding" in many games have lowered my expectations of Normal difficulty level in this game lol.

The Normal in this game = Hard in many other modern casual games. At least for the 1st battle.

Kinda sorta blind-bought this. Got nothing to play cept Bully and League so I was like why not. I bought Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga years ago for like 6 bucks, played a couple hours but the controls were a bit too wonky for my tastes and I haven't gone back.

Wortany

The characters really are well done. Great voice-casting all around. The interaction between these characters, albeit indirectly through you, creates an atmosphere that feels alive and connected.
It's not just npc A and you, npc B and you where both are only interested in helping themselves and perhaps you. It's something I find many recent RPG's fall victim to.

But I have to say, I find the RTS gameplay (speaking for act 1 only) rather easy. Even though I know that I'm usually bad at RTS. (playing on Normal difficulty)
But perhaps it has to do with picking your fights carefully on the board. I completed the first act with not one battle which had less than 60% victory conditions.

Though I will add that looking at all the futures possibilities in units and unit abilities that were not yet available in act 1, it might become really difficult later on to manage all your troops in the fast-paced RTS.
Even in Act 1, I hardly used any abilities (neither the units' nor my dragon's abilities). I was constantly too busy handling the placement of the troops, building turrets - etc... and intervening in fights as a dragon by blasting the enemy to damnation with fireballs (really fun part :D).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Fantastic game, great characters nice graphics and interesting gameplay. They did manage to hit a good blend of RTS and action. Plus the fact that one cant live without the other is great.

Started off with that dragon that has the support oriented skill set. So far working out pretty good. Though its taking a while to build up my funds and I spent the initial tech points wrong lol.

Do love this game and can see myself sinking a lot of hours into it. In the future really do hope they add more story driven DLC too as these characters are just too good not to continue to use.

Right now it may seem like the battles would be easy, but once the enemy starts to mix it up with more unique units it really does change the playing field quite a bit. Instant realization that if you dont step up your game with a more varied army by doing proper research into them, you will literally be out gunned as you progress. Can see everyones first game being a huge trial and error with this. As Im already starting to feel that squeeze as the enemy is rolling out heavy units towards me.

danthefan

I've just started, won my first RTS battle at the third attempt or so (yeah I reload when I lose, deal with it!), it's actually quite challenging. Those buildings that provide resources are absolutely key.

Is it campaign map kinda small? It looks like there are maybe 10 or 12 territories, what happens when you capture them all?

I'm torn between getting a GOG copy or a Larian Vault copy.
GOG is obviously the superior service but the steam key in the Larian Vault copy would come in handy since it's a multiplayer game and thus more likely to get many updates but I'm not a fan of fast paced RTS and the beta didn't convince me otherwise so I probably won't spend much time with the multiplayer anyway.

garath

Downloading now. Pretty sizable at 12gigs. Won't be ready for me until tonight when I get home from work.

Can't wait to dig in.

Durante

Ha, I just won a 25% battle by superior unit composition and consistent Dragon use. Immensely satisfying.

When you get a ball rolling with Zeppelins, Shamans and Hunters everything that is tier 1 just melts before it can even reach you.

dcapp_2013_08_06_19_0klza3.jpg

dcapp_2013_08_06_19_0w7akf.jpg

Had to go to bed early because my wife got carpel tunnel surgery this morning... just got home. Totally exhausted but Im going to dig into this before faceplanting into a bed for a few hours.

So excited :D

Also very happy to see it as the top seller on steam.

Aselith

So I bought a physical version from Larian assuming they'd give me my steam key immediately but it's not in there. Do they add it soon or do I have to wait until I get the physical version?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm getting spanked on the world map but am winning all these crazy 20% chance to win battles. Game is intense as hell so far, god damn.

Durante

I'm now Act 2.

As this thread may demonstrate, I had really high expectations for this game, but so far it more than matches them.

I love it. I love the strategy layer, I love the RTS with its quick pacing and interesting unit/supply mechanics, I love the characters and choices. I love the writing and voice acting. And I especially love the little touches, like the newspaper headlines that react to your political and martial choices, or let you know about your enemies' research, all while being entertaining to read.

Oh, and the music is fantastic.

Keasar

I really wish I could play, but every time I try to start a campaign my game just crashes after selecting a dragon. :(

Edit: Also, the icons for the "Already Researched" things are completely black in the dragon selection screen.

Durante

I just got utterly demolished in my first sea battle.

And the bad thing is, I know it was entirely because of my stupidity :p

I really wish I could play, but every time I try to start a campaign my game just crashes after selecting a dragon. :(

Not to worry, Durante is already working on a patch. ;-)

On a serious note: there's some troubleshooting over here on the Larian forum that might help resolve your problem: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=471076&gonew=1#UNREAD
If not, just report the issue there. Larian actually fixes stuff and release patches that work.

Keasar

Nothing. Tutorial, crash. Skirmish, crash. Campaign, crash. Will send a report to them and hopefully they can manage to fix it. Been looking so much forward to playing. :(

Durante

Nothing. Tutorial, crash. Skirmish, crash. Campaign, crash. Will send a report to them and hopefully they can manage to fix it. Been looking so much forward to playing. :(
I guess you did the obvious? (E.g. driver updates, restarting, turning down graphics settings, etc?)

I had hoped that technical issues would be rooted out during the beta (since it was pretty widely distributed), but I guess some can still slip through. I hope they'll get it working for you soon. Larian is pretty good about patching their games so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh, the official tech support forum is here btw:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=59

epmode

I'm now Act 2.

As this thread may demonstrate, I had really high expectations for this game, but so far it more than matches them.

I love it. I love the strategy layer, I love the RTS with its quick pacing and interesting unit/supply mechanics, I love the characters and choices. I love the writing and voice acting. And I especially love the little touches, like the newspaper headlines that react to your political and martial choices, or let you know about your enemies' research, all while being entertaining to read.

Oh, and the music is fantastic.

I'm glad this turned out well. I've been a fan of Larian for a while but I fell in love with them during the Original Sin Kickstarter campaign. More specifically, during the livestream. More specifically, when a beltless Kirill rocked SO HARD that his keyboard fell off its stand. Fuck yeah.

Keasar

I guess you did the obvious? (E.g. driver updates, restarting, turning down graphics settings, etc?)

I had hoped that technical issues would be rooted out during the beta (since it was pretty widely distributed), but I guess some can still slip through. I hope they'll get it working for you soon. Larian is pretty good about patching their games so I wouldn't worry too much.

Oh, the official tech support forum is here btw:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=59

Ah, right, derp, should also try driver update. This is what happens when you get home tired from work and had to walk through a thunderstorm.

Edit: And crash, waiting for an update it is. Funny, the game worked just fine during the beta.

For those deeper into the game is it possible to auto-resolve all the battles or will taking command in battles become critical in succeeding? If I can I would just auto-resolve all battles.

Durante

For those deeper into the game is it possible to auto-resolve all the battles or will taking command in battles become critical in succeeding? If I can I would just auto-resolve all battles.
I think it's really a matter of how you play the strategic map, and difficult to answer for anyone not trying to do that. I have lots of battles that I'd certainly lose with auto-resolve, but I'm also playing the strategic part with the knowledge that I can win battles where the odds are against me. It's hard to judge how different things would be if I was actively trying to avoid manual battles.

That's my review BTW. I can't recommend this game enough. If you've got the $40 it's worth every penny.
Nice review!

Edit: And crash, waiting for an update it is. Funny, the game worked just fine during the beta.
You should let them know that tidbit when you report the bug, could make it much easier to track down.

This really flew under my radar, after seeing lizardman with monocle and skeleton princess I've instantly been sold on it. Will pick it up as soon as I'm done with my backlog.

danthefan

Played about two hours this evening, what a wonderful game.

Really enjoying the mix of gameplay types and particularly enjoy the RTS battles, they're nice and fast paced and switching in and out of the dragon is really fun.

Anyone know how many acts there are and roughly how long a play through the story should take?

Played about two hours this evening, what a wonderful game.

Really enjoying the mix of gameplay types and particularly enjoy the RTS battles, they're nice and fast paced and switching in and out of the dragon is really fun.

Anyone know how many acts there are and roughly how long a play through the story should take?

Reviews say 3 acts and about 12 hrs.

I think it's really a matter of how you play the strategic map, and difficult to answer for anyone not trying to do that. I have lots of battles that I'd certainly lose with auto-resolve, but I'm also playing the strategic part with the knowledge that I can win battles where the odds are against me. It's hard to judge how different things would be if I was actively trying to avoid manual battles.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes.

Lingitiz

I started autoresolving fights in the later third of the game because I had so much money at that point. Later on it becomes a choice of which battle you choose to fight as a dragon, since you can only control one fight in a single turn.

Lost my first battle but really only because I didn't know what I was doing till half-way through and the enemy took control over almost the whole map before I figured out everything.

One minor niggle, well not that minor but not huge either, but the mini-map can get disorienting. When you go from dragon form back to top-down the camera spins to whatever direction your dragon was facing when you left dragon form. So you get back to top-down view and suddenly the map is spun around some other way and moving your mouse cursor to move the screen will make it go other way.

Picked the Mountain Dragon due to his passive healing regen + 30% life steal (seriously this feels OP, very helpful).

Syril

Fucking hell, the style of this game is great, but I REALLY don't enjoy RTS. I wish Divinty 2 had taken place in this setting instead of generic medieval land.

Durante

One minor niggle, well not that minor but not huge either, but the mini-map can get disorienting. When you go from dragon form back to top-down the camera spins to whatever direction your dragon was facing when you left dragon form. So you get back to top-down view and suddenly the map is spun around some other way and moving your mouse cursor to move the screen will make it go other way.
You can use a button (I believe the default mapping is Home/Pos1) to return the camera to the starting orientation.

But I actually quickly got used to maneuvering the camera a lot more flexibly than I do in most RTS games. Partially because the controls work really well, and admittedly it may also partially be because stuff looks great and I want a closer look :p

Top Bottom