• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

J4g3r

He
follows you on the boat to act 3 if you complete his quests

1J4YMrY.png

Well damn.

My party must suck balls because no matter how I set up or placement these level 6 enemies wipe my lvl 7 party.

It is the witch fight.

I have a different save but magical and its boring because nothing is a challenge. Then I have this which isn't that interesting because doing different things is equaling same results, which is a wipe.

The
bugs
wiped me the first time. Second time I just teleported
the witch to as close to the entrance as I could, out of the range of most of the adds.

JC Sera

act 4 has been pretty good so far except for trying to find an old old friend
I figured out how to get to kemms god king room on my own, but had to look up how to find arhu OTZ

Man, had a hard time with the magisters in the Fort Joy
dungeon.
I thought I had to go through them but it's actually a dead end? Also used all my ressurection scrolls.

DMTripper

Guys is the easy mode in this game easy? Weird question but I'm really not into the combat but fancy playing through the story and making choices. Thanks.

Sygma

That's crazy, and then there is act 3 and 4 also? I think it's gonna take me over 200 hours.

Act 2 is the most packed. It dials down after. But its REALLY packed.

Took me ~15 hours to clear act 1, 13 hours in act 2 and im barely at the half from the looks of it lol

Sanctuary

He
follows you on the boat to act 3 if you complete his quests

He never did for me, and I finished both of his requests.
There was supposed to be a dialogue option too where you ask him to go to the ship, but after finishing his two tasks, the only dialogue that's left is about him going to Arx (end).

So, I'm playing as Sebille and
back when you meet the wolf guy in the Fort Joy marsh I couldn't persuade him so I had to fight him. But instead of running I played keep away with him and killed him ... then I went to an old save cause I didn't know if that was bad or not.

But then I left fort joy without ever meeting him in this file and now in act 2 IDK what to do with her story.

Am I screwed? Or can I jump start her story without talking to him now by leap froggin it and finding another wolf guy?

Not really sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like you fought Ifran, who is a potential companion. There's no other Ifran but Ifran.

Reani

i think i just ruined the game for myself by playing optimally

have a full phys dps party with 2h warrior, rogue, 2 rangers (didnt spec them into warfare on purpose)

but even without broken archers every fight in act 3 right now is super trivial as everyone dies in 1-2 turns:
-teleport all enemies together (each character has nether swap+teleport learned)
-cast arrow storm 1-2 times
everyone is dead

story progresses SO slowly it pains me. a bit of dialogue here and there and endless amounts of fighting and walking wear me down. bugged quests only add to annoyance. maybe i should take a break.

i dont remember feeling so massively overpowered in the first game. it felt somewhat challenging until the very end. here....combat is so one-dimensional its not even fun. strip armor - use battle stomp - everyone is dead

armor is irrelevant, success in combat is only measured by damage you deal. no new skills since act 2...
just stat increases from act 3 onwards and i dont like that at all

ValfarHL

There was supposed to be a dialogue option too where you ask him to go to the ship, but after finishing his two tasks, the only dialogue that's left is about him going to Arx (end).

Not really sure what you're talking about, but it sounds like you fought Ifran, who is a potential companion. There's no other Ifran but Ifran.

Hm, it could have something to do with Lohse's quest then? I think the
boat dialogue popped up after the failed exorcism

I had a dream that I was walking around a city's downtown chatting with Swen Vincke. I haven't played DOS2 in over a day...

What has this game done to me?

I think you only have the option if you trigger
Lohse's personal quest.

Larian said that act 2 is double the size the act 1.

That's probably underselling it. It felt like more like 3-4x the size and density. In some ways it reminds me of Chapter 2 of Baldur's Gate 2.

Sygma

i think i just ruined the game for myself by playing optimally

have a full phys dps party with 2h warrior, rogue, 2 rangers (didnt spec them into warfare on purpose)

but even without broken archers every fight in act 3 right now is super trivial as everyone dies in 1-2 turns:
-teleport all enemies together (each character has nether swap+teleport learned)
-cast arrow storm 1-2 times
everyone is dead

story progresses SO slowly it pains me. a bit of dialogue here and there and endless amounts of fighting and walking wear me down. bugged quests only add to annoyance. maybe i should take a break.

i dont remember feeling so massively overpowered in the first game. it felt somewhat challenging until the very end. here....combat is so one-dimensional its not even fun. strip armor - use battle stomp - everyone is dead

armor is irrelevant, success in combat is only measured by damage you deal. no new skills since act 2...
just stat increases from act 3 onwards and i dont like that at all

I've only played Enhanced Edition so bear with me, but it was a complete joke if you had a wayfarer properly specced as a crossbow wielder + really high int mage with haill storm

Basically Rain of Arrows + Hail Storm was way worse than the cute damage rangers are doing right now in D:OS 2

http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Rain_of_Arrows_(DOS_EE)

Trickster

I'm nearing the end of the game in act 4, but I'm having an issue with the
source amulet
, I don't understand how it's supposed to work? I just used it once, and now I can't use it anymore

Eyeh4wk

Is Petrifying touch the most useless racial ability of them? I keep trying to make different builds on my dwarf rogue to take advantage of it but it's so underwhelming. And it cost 2 AP while all the other abilities cost only 1 AP. It probably doesn't scale well into late game too.

I'm nearing the end of the game in act 4, but I'm having an issue with the
source amulet
, I don't understand how it's supposed to work? I just used it once, and now I can't use it anymore

If you inspect it you'll see it has a certain number of charges. If you equip it,
go around and use the vampirism power on dead bodies to charge it up to full. You can then use it in the path of blood.

edit:
Will classic mode be too easy for a fan of the CRPG genre who has played baldur's gate, fallout and pillars?

If you played on the harder difficulties of those games, maybe? Classic is no joke even as a veteran of those games myself. I haven't put much time into tactician mode though so I can't comment how much harder it gets.

cevion

I just found out that you can put pouches with usable items inside on your hotbar, such as magic arrows, bombs scrolls and potions. Click the pouch on your hotbar and voila! This saves you from a lot of hotbar clutter. (Credit goes to dpacm123 on the divinity subreddit.)

This is gonna make my inventory/hotbar management so much easier, and actually give me room for skillbooks on said hotbars. Thought I'd share.

edit: Another thing I learned today was that there is an anchor icon on the minimap that lets you warp to any unlocked fast-travel shrine on the map. I thought you had to run to the shrines and then fast-travel from there. Maybe most of you guys knew this, but I didn't until now, so posting this as well :)

d00d3n

If you inspect it you'll see it has a certain number of charges. If you equip it,
go around and use the vampirism power on dead bodies to charge it up to full. You can then use it in the path of blood.

edit:

If you played on the harder difficulties of those games, maybe? Classic is no joke even as a veteran of those games myself. I haven't put much time into tactician mode though so I can't comment how much harder it gets.

Thanks. I think I will start out with classic mode then

I just found out that you can put pouches with usable items inside on your hotbar, such as magic arrows, bombs scrolls and potions. Click the pouch on your hotbar and voila! This saves you from a lot of hotbar clutter. (Credit goes to dpacm123 on the divinity subreddit.)

This is gonna make my inventory/hotbar management so much easier, and actually give me room for skillbooks on said hotbars. Thought I'd share.

omg

I never even thought to try this...

Xyber

Will classic mode be too easy for a fan of the CRPG genre who has played baldur's gate, fallout and pillars?

I would probably say go with Tactician. It starts out pretty hard, but as you level up and improve your builds, it actually gets quite a bit easier.

Flaboere

I'm about to start my play - i played a little in the Early Access period, but now I'm starting for real.

Reading the thread, it seems like Ranger and Summoner is a great way to go, but do I combine those on my main character? Thinking to pick Lohse, and go with Ranger preset. Do I then focus on ranger and put summoning on someone else?

Reani

I'm about to start my play - i played a little in the Early Access period, but now I'm starting for real.

Reading the thread, it seems like Ranger and Summoner is a great way to go, but do I combine those on my main character? Thinking to pick Lohse, and go with Ranger preset. Do I then focus on ranger and put summoning on someone else?
rangers are capable of doing so much damage on their own that stacking any other role on them just makes it worse

Ryzaki009

Story/Journal definitely goes to crap. Dead characters are frequently referenced as being alive and vice versa. Quests seem to break all on their own and progress non-sensically. Fights will 'start' in conversation but the NPCs wont go hostile until you attack them. It's definitely rough around the edges.

That's the one bug I have never gotten. Everyone always aggros appropriately for me luckily.

Though I always get people thinking people are dead when they're not so wasn't that lucky. T_T

Also Tactican is more fun than I thought it'd be. That said I went with rogue elf archer because lol.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Done with act 2, and definitely had some thoughts on 'difficulty' being set up around how many opponents (and how level-gated overcoming them can be) is a definite downer.

That one level difference, even if somewhat ethereal, really does make a huge difference.

And when the 'initiative' stat doesn't really seem to do anything but maybe give you one preparatory salvo, before the group of 5-8 enemies gets to CC you to death on classic and up, it feels less like I'm roleplaying, and more like I'm either puzzle-solving and/or am expected to be doing soft resets even when I meet level criteria.

I get that CC is important, but the enemies all seem to overall have the same (if not better) shields than any of my rare+epic kitted characters, and when there's 6+ of them in a battle, even the 'ignore armor' cc's like Teleport can only go so far.

Also, rangers are so much better than rogues it's not even funny - were it not for role-playing Sebille as an assassin rogue type, I would have definitely re-rolled. Huntsman is too big of a damage boost to ignore, and that's even before ranged keeping you somewhat less in the fray.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game muuuuuch better than D:OS1, but I am curious on the enemy 'scaling'.

Gonna put things on hold until the patch tho, I've definitely got some buggy quests sitting in the act 2 journal that need tidying up.

Taruranto

Hm, looks like Tarquin disappeared from my game. Hopefully the patch hits soon because I'm almost done with this area, I think.

And when the 'initiative' stat doesn't really seem to do anything but maybe give you one preparatory salvo, before the group of 5-8 enemies gets to CC you to death on classic and up, it feels less like I'm roleplaying, and more like I'm either puzzle-solving and/or am expected to be doing soft resets even when I meet level criteria.

Do you split party members before battle? I had the same issue before I started to manually set everyone apart from each other for every big battle. Act 2 got progressively easier for me since my mages just aoe everyone and stun is hella broken.

Reani

Thank you!

I can see Ranger preset comes with +1 Pyro, is it better to go warfare, or something else perhaps?
you max warfare first (only put levels in huntsman for using skills), then you max huntsman, then max ranged.

1 point in support schools for removing debuffs is fine (1 hydro for magic armor, 1 pyro for clear mind. i'd recommend also getting aero 2 on all characters for nether swap+teleport)

Flaboere

you max warfare first (only put levels in huntsman for using skills), then you max huntsman, then max ranged.

1 point in support schools for removing debuffs is fine (1 hydro for magic armor, 1 pyro for clear mind. i'd recommend also getting aero 2 on all characters for nether swap+teleport)

Thanks!

Truant

I feel like there's a great game here somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it.

I'm currently at Fort Joy, just managed to
release the caged elf
. I had to turn down the difficulty from Classic to Explorer. There were two encounters that were literally impossible to beat for me, as I did nearly no damage and took way too much. Anyway, the game is at least playable on Explorer, even though it's way too easy. They should add a tier of difficulty somewhere in between the two.

The story is OK, but the journal is making it really hard for me to get invested in anything. I dread having to navigate that thing. The characters I have so far are OK, but I struggle to get a hang of the various magic abilities. I'm playing with a controller, maybe that's part of it. Maybe a MB+K setup would feel better for this game.

I can't really explain it, but I feel like every single thing about this game is very close to clicking with me, yet nothing is. Should I press on or do a refund?

For reference I absolutely love the old D&D crpg classics, as well as more modern stuff like New Vegas or Pillars.

Ryzaki009

Done with act 2, and definitely had some thoughts on 'difficulty' being set up around how many opponents (and how level-gated overcoming them can be) is a definite downer.

That one level difference, even if somewhat ethereal, really does make a huge difference.

I get that CC is important, but the enemies all seem to overall have the same (if not better) shields than any of my rare+epic kitted characters, and when there's 6+ of them in a battle, even the 'ignore armor' cc's like Teleport can only go so far.

Also, rangers are so much better than rogues it's not even funny - were it not for role-playing Sebille as an assassin rogue type, I would have definitely re-rolled. Huntsman is too big of a damage boost to ignore, and that's even before ranged keeping you somewhat less in the fray.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game muuuuuch better than D:OS1, but I am curious on the enemy 'scaling'.

Gonna put things on hold until the patch tho, I've definitely got some buggy quests sitting in the act 2 journal that need tidying up.

Hit ESC and change the formation so everyone's not clumped. That makes avoiding CC a lot easier.

lionpants

Hey guys... a bit of a disappointing scenario.

I'm playing with my wife, she's Pyro/Geo Wizard and I'm a 2H Warfare Fighter.

We have just about finished the starter island and she is feeling inadequate in battles compared to me. I can destroy targets in a single turn and she constantly has trouble removing magic armour to allow her spells to even do anything (apply burns, poison, etc).

It's not her fault, her character is built properly and using the spells that she can acquire. I've googled casters being a bit underpowered and it seems to be a problem in the game unless you spam Source spells, which doesn't sound fun at all.

She wants to still use spells because she likes casters but doesn't like feeling like she's a useless buff machine in battle.

Is there a combination of magic ability trees that you recommend? We have read that Summoner/Geo is good, but she's not too keen on controlling many summons. Should she just go Ranger or Rogue?

Reani

We have just about finished the starter island and she is feeling inadequate in battles compared to me. I can destroy targets in a single turn and she constantly has trouble removing magic armour to allow her spells to even do anything (apply burns, poison, etc).

It's not her fault, her character is built properly and using the spells that she can acquire. I've googled casters being a bit underpowered and it seems to be a problem in the game unless you spam Source spells, which doesn't sound fun at all.

She wants to still use spells because she likes casters but doesn't like feeling like she's a useless buff machine in battle.

Is there a combination of magic ability trees that you recommend? We have read that Summoner/Geo is good, but she's not too keen on controlling many summons. Should she just go Ranger or Rogue?
why wont you change from 2h warrior to magic dealer instead?

having 2 characters doing different type of damage is going to hurt you no matter what

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I feel like there's a great game here somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it.

I'm currently at Fort Joy, just managed to
release the caged elf
. I had to turn down the difficulty from Classic to Explorer. There were two encounters that were literally impossible to beat for me, as I did nearly no damage and took way too much. Anyway, the game is at least playable on Explorer, even though it's way too easy. They should add a tier of difficulty somewhere in between the two.

The story is OK, but the journal is making it really hard for me to get invested in anything. I dread having to navigate that thing. The characters I have so far are OK, but I struggle to get a hang of the various magic abilities. I'm playing with a controller, maybe that's part of it. Maybe a MB+K setup would feel better for this game.

I can't really explain it, but I feel like every single thing about this game is very close to clicking with me, yet nothing is. Should I press on or do a refund?

For reference I absolutely love the old D&D crpg classics, as well as more modern stuff like New Vegas or Pillars.

I don't want to sound elitist or anything like that but I'm really curious how you're having the above experience. Did you spend no time at all trying to learn the system and interplay between stats and skills? This is not a pick up and play game, you need to put a little bit of time in character creation to build a good party. Think about those old d&d classics and the learning curve required.

Lanrutcon

Spells only become serviceable later on, and even then: you'll never be as good of a damage machine as a Ranger/2Hander.

It's an expectation thing, basically. What does she want to be? A damage dealer? then spec out of magic, go Warfare/Ranged with a crossbow. A tank? then get her a bit of warfare and str, and have her equip a shield and platemail, then keep going with Pyro/Geo. A support caster? then Geo/Hydro with a smidgeon of Necro to summon a Bone Spider.

Taruranto

I dunno about Summoner/Geo, but I have a Summoner/Ranger and it is incredibly powerful. Controlling summons is not too hard in this game really, and Summoner can pretty much remove both types of armors.

Keep in mind that spells kinda suck initially, they really start to get good by the second chapter, you get tons of powerful aoe and you can use Elementalist to reduce the cost.

She could also just put two points (or use a couple of rings) in Necromancy to summon the Death Spider, but they only do Psychical damage. It still pretty good for support, though.

Ryzaki009

With summoner you only really control one summon. You can summon a totem each round but they do their own thing and expire after 3 rounds. It's the incarnate that you can control and whether it's damage is magical or physical depends on the surface you summoned it on (or later on the infusion spells you use on it). Basically if she goes summoner her first turn is pretty much going to be summoning and buffing the summon which is fine for me but she might not like doing that every match. That said all my caster mains were primarily support and Hydro/Pyro after a while I stopped bothering with magical CC because it wasn't worth the time investment. Better to just kill them. Hydo does a surprising amount of damage at times (Aero on the other hand is pretty ugh for me except for teleport and netherswap but both of those are primarily support focused.)

Top Bottom