• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Taruranto

lG6bT16.jpg
I officially hate leveling up.

Jisgsaw

That makes ALOT more sense in terms of my rogue compared to my warrior. Warrior is all str/warfare with some in 2hand weapon for crit. He hits like a fucking truck. Where as my rogue has alot in wits and some in DW as i thought the dodge would be helpful. Going to change him around abit and see if i can make him better thanks!

Gotta find someone else to be my finder now though, maybe my ranger but I'm seriously considering dropping my ranger for another mage or something they seem way too op.

Also give your rogue a couple of points in strength, so that he can equip "heavier" equipment, which have more phys armor; that should improve his survivability.

And as someone else has said, keep your daggers up to date (which can be hard, as there aren't that many good ones, especially compared to say crossbows).
My go to opening with my rogue is backstab to get behind the enemy (you may have to walk a bit for backstab having enough reach, take The Pawn ability), use adrelanine, flurry, then the targets armor should be gone unless it is a boss, and you can apply your CC. The only problem with this and the main drawback of rogues is that if the target is back to a wall or an obstacle, you can't backstab.

I have three skills at that point : "vampire bite" bless and spirit vision. Problem is that the range of the skill isn't nearly enough for me to engage the shrieker before he does

Tried that, teleport doesn't cover the range

Yes it does- I got my whole party across without triggering the
Shrieker
using mobility and teleport.

kionedrik

That's my inventory after stealing everything so I could get enough money to outfit my characters after leveling up.

Unless you are getting one-shoted there's really no reason to do this. I usually just get a piece of gear, armor or weapon depending on the char's focus, per character with each level up and I have zero issues keeping up.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is there any consequence for brutally decimating the whole Driftwood Square? These bastards wont let me rob them, so they deserve it

Also bahaha, die cemetery dog DIE

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Found a weird bug/glitch. In Act 2, in the meister's basement. You can make out the silhouette of a different area on the map. In this case I think that's
Saheila with the lone wolves

Top left.
mbxnDAc.jpg

Kinda neat.

Sentenza

Act 4 is TERRIBLE. Quite jarring how bad it is compared to Act1-3.
Mh. Why?
Without details about the story, of course. Just what you are not liking about it mechanically.

For context I'm still taking my time in act 2. I saved and tried to make my first steps in act 3 before deciding I was unhappy with how many quests I left behind.

mike6467

I'm really finding it hard to get motivated to go back into this. I backed off the difficulty to Explorer (I've recently beaten PoE and Tyranny recently on the default difficulty), but I'm having a hell of a time getting over level 3. I managed to sneak off the island but I reloaded an earlier save because it seems apparent I should've stayed until I got a bit more XP under my belt. I've had three quests bugged and I'm wondering if it's messed with my progress at all.

Does the game eventually flow a bit more, or is it always going to have the "try one method, reload and try another, repeat until happy with results" attitude? Not just combat, but thievery and social encounters too. I'm quick loading constantly.

I'm so conflicted because I love so, so much about the game, it just feels like there's a disconnect between my hope for the various encounters and what they actually end up being.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm really finding it hard to get motivated to go back into this. I backed off the difficulty to Explorer (I've recently beaten PoE and Tyranny recently on the default difficulty), but I'm having a hell of a time getting over level 3. I managed to sneak off the island but I reloaded an earlier save because it seems apparent I should've stayed until I got a bit more XP under my belt. I've had three quests bugged and I'm wondering if it's messed with my progress at all.

Does the game eventually flow a bit more, or is it always going to have the "try one method, reload and try another, repeat until happy with results" attitude? Not just combat, but thievery and social encounters too. I'm quick loading constantly.

I'm so conflicted because I love so, so much about the game, it just feels like there's a disconnect between my hope for the various encounters and what they actually end up being.

You left Fort Joy waaaaay too early. It's filled to the brim of stuff to do, easily 15 hours of content on that island alone. Don't you like exploring? That's half of the fun here, and more locations/quests you find, more chances to rake in good XP

Sygma

Yes it does- I got my whole party across without triggering the
Shrieker
using mobility and teleport.

Yeah I had to really reach the far right of a broken bidge just to get like an abysmally small point of tp across it lol, thanks man

otherwise at lvl 14, even in tactician, game became a walk in the park and its kinda too bad. Still a stellar rpg tho. I don't know how other devs will be able to top this on the combat alone

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
There is a great call back to Divine Divinity in the graveyard in Act 2 that was quite fun to see. I didn't notice it on my first playthrough.

The skeleton philosopher challenges you to an intellectual dual to the the death and you have to be undead to win it by questioning your very existence.

There is a great call back to Divine Divinity in the graveyard in Act 2 that was quite fun to see. I didn't notice it on my first playthrough.

The skeleton philosopher challenges you to an intellectual dual to the the death and you have to be undead to win it by questioning your very existence.

There are at least two other ways to solve it:

1. You can pick up books in Ryker's mansion that give you the answers
2. Certain tags will give you the answers to the questions. It would be challenging, however, to have all 3 tags on one character but I think its possible.

Yeah I had to really reach the far right of a broken bidge just to get like an abysmally small point of tp across it lol, thanks man

Broken bridge? Just go up the ladder by oil derrick, go around the derrick, and then teleport from there to the dock.

cevion

I think you will appreciate the game more when you have access to a wider toolset. I'd definitaly say the game gets in a really groovy flow once you "wet your feet" a bit and figure some basic stuff out like what combos work, what you like etc. The beginning is extra punishing, but once you learn to talk to everyone and look and listen closely for clues on quests and areas, you should get your bearings!

For people not liking level1-3, this guide will help you get to level 4. Basically no combat involved;
follow this step-by-step guide (Credit to "Ellezard on the Larian Forums). Only read if you are fine with minor spoilers for the Prologue to early Act 1 level 1-4). Game get's a lot easier once you have some basic civic skills like thievery, gear like the T
eleport
G
loves
, and some combat skills.

(Excuse my poor writing, tad intoxicated and very tired) Hope it helps! Night all!

edit: (I think I was level 5, maybe 6, when I escaped the island. What three quests are bugged? I constantly quickload to make sure I talk to NPC:s with the right character (for persuasion & companion quests) or loot stuff with my Lucky Charm guy, or set up 3 of my teammates talking and turning nearby NPCs 180 degrees away while I sneak in and steal some shinies with my thief)

Stiler

Man, on act 2 did all the checks for civil abilities go up a lot or what?

I had no problem throughout act 1 with stealing/persuasion/lockpicking on my main character with 2 in persuasion and 1 in stealing (and then one from gear).

Hit act 2 and I fail EVERYTHING, all persuasion/thieving/lockpicking, it seems that all the checks in Act 2 require you to have a 3 in their respective skills and with only 3 civil ability points at lv 9 that means you have to devote your entire points to a single skill.

It feels like they don't want any character to be able to do two things but rather only one, so you have to have one character for each skill.

The problem with this is that it ends up becoming a chore, one character to talk to npc's so you don't fail persuasion checks, another character to loot containers for lucky charm, another for lockpicking/thieving, etc.

Really wish they'd pool this into a "group" thing so that your main character would be able to get the bonuses from the other party members, it seems like something that's more of an annoyance then anything.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
I finally finished Act 3, and have seen comments about the final Act being rather buggy, especially some of the quests. Would anyone advise to maybe wait it out to see if this next patch fixes it up a bit or is not that bad?

Stiler

I am having an issue that is only getting worse. I get host/single player almost game freeze during saving. =/

I am getting this same issue.

It started happening near the end of Act 1 and in Act 2 it seems to have gotten worse.

I quicksave quite a bit and it's literally like freezing for a few seconds when the save happens.

I deleted a ton of my older saves thinking maybe I just had too many or something and that didn't help anything.

Sygma

There are at least two other ways to solve it:

1. You can pick up books in Ryker's mansion that give you the answers
2. Certain tags will give you the answers to the questions. It would be challenging, however, to have all 3 tags on one character but I think its possible.

Broken bridge? Just go up the ladder by oil derrick, go around the derrick, and then teleport from there to the dock.

I went on the right just after entering the room, to get the key on an isolated platform and then just teleported in front of that twice

Ryzaki009

Mh. Why?
Without details about the story, of course. Just what you are not liking about it mechanically.

For context I'm still taking my time in act 2. I saved and tried to make my first steps in act 3 before deciding I was unhappy with how many quests I left behind.

It's really disjoined compared to previous acts and the bugs my god the bugs. Quests seem to skip steps, act like you didn't do X when you did and the game gives you the smallest of hints about what to do. But mostly it's the bugs. Those get fixed and it'll be great. For instance I killed a whole lot of people and that gets completely ignored just for them to pop up later with no explanation.

Nope won that with the Jester and Outlaw tags.

Sarcasm

What did you all do with that
jokester Tomprey (or whoever) guy's jar
in Act 1?

I am getting this same issue.

It started happening near the end of Act 1 and in Act 2 it seems to have gotten worse.

I quicksave quite a bit and it's literally like freezing for a few seconds when the save happens.

I deleted a ton of my older saves thinking maybe I just had too many or something and that didn't help anything.

Yea I don't know what gives. I get this in the DOS:EE too.

I finally finished Act 3, and have seen comments about the final Act being rather buggy, especially some of the quests. Would anyone advise to maybe wait it out to see if this next patch fixes it up a bit or is not that bad?

I'm done with Act 2 and have decided to wait at least until next week's patch. I've seen too many comments like the one above about how buggy Act 4 can be. I'm thinking/hoping that fixing Act 4 will be a big focus of next week's patch.

Blackie

I don't know why but this game seems incredibly interesting to me and I almost never game on PC anymore. Kind of makes me want to upgrade my (old-ish) rig even though I am currently strapped for cash ^_^

Question about getting off the island in act 1:
When I was in fort joy prison, I came across a kid with a boat and he offered to ferry me out of the prison. I circled back to explore other areas and found a way into the swamps. I went back out of curiosity and he was gone. Where would this boat have taken me?

This game is so much fun. When I'm not playing I find myself thinking about these random situations that you come across, many of which are puzzling. Love it!

Sarcasm

Did my game bug?

I did withermoore's soul jar and was watching a lets play of what I did previously. Which is the maze, I accidentally went from the back.

Withermoore didn't show up to open that magic door for the tombs and the tomb was empty...

I heard the game is really buggy the later you go. Anyone have any experience with this?

Story/Journal definitely goes to crap. Dead characters are frequently referenced as being alive and vice versa. Quests seem to break all on their own and progress non-sensically. Fights will 'start' in conversation but the NPCs wont go hostile until you attack them. It's definitely rough around the edges.

Sarcasm

My party must suck balls because no matter how I set up or placement these level 6 enemies wipe my lvl 7 party.

It is the witch fight.

I have a different save but magical and its boring because nothing is a challenge. Then I have this which isn't that interesting because doing different things is equaling same results, which is a wipe.

Stiler

My party must suck balls because no matter how I set up or placement these level 6 enemies wipe my lvl 7 party.

It is the witch fight.

I have a different save but magical and its boring because nothing is a challenge. Then I have this which isn't that interesting because doing different things is equaling same results, which is a wipe.

I did this fight a lot better when you set up your party before the fight.

Use Sneak and get your archer/range dps up onto the left or right side where they get a height advantage.

Keep your main tank in the middle at the lower part and start the convo.

Your main goal should be focusing down the witch, then focusing down the flying enemies after that.

Make ample use of teleport if you have it.

It is the witch fight.

The one in the cave? Yeah that's basically the hardest fight on Act 1.

The key is killing the boss asap, then proceed with the bugs.

But yeah, that was pretty hard. I used up like 3 rez scrolls there.

Sarcasm

The one in the cave? Yeah that's basically the hardest fight on Act 1.

The key is killing the boss asap, then proceed with the bugs.

But yeah, that was pretty hard. I used up like 3 rez scrolls there.

I killed 1 bug and witch and it didn't save me lol.

Hate this excel spreadsheet >.>

Doesn't matter where I put my 2 dudes either. Change everything is = same results for me.

I have managed to make winning even equal party death. This is fantastic. lol.

Yea think I am going to play something else as my other save is magical but pretty boring to play.

Is act 3 safe to play in its current state, while act 4 probably needs next week's patch?

There's nothing wrong with Act 3 imho. It's just too short compared to the previous Acts. But still, it's one of the most important Acts so far. I'm still in the middle of Act 4 and it doesn't feel horrible at all.

ValfarHL

There's nothing wrong with Act 3 imho. It's just too short compared to the previous Acts. But still, it's one of the most important Acts so far. I'm still in the middle of Act 4 and it doesn't feel horrible at all.

Thanks. Ymwv on act 4 then, depending on earlier choices?

J4g3r

I was wondering last night whether it would be possible to move Deathfog around a map using the Polymorph ability "Terrain Transmutation" - Has anyone tried it?

Because if it's possible, I might use it to (LATE ACT 2 SPOILERS)
kill Jahan before I leave the area for his loot (unless he shows up later in the game? Is that the last of him?)

Reivaxe

So, I'm playing as Sebille and
back when you meet the wolf guy in the Fort Joy marsh I couldn't persuade him so I had to fight him. But instead of running I played keep away with him and killed him ... then I went to an old save cause I didn't know if that was bad or not.

But then I left fort joy without ever meeting him in this file and now in act 2 IDK what to do with her story.

Am I screwed? Or can I jump start her story without talking to him now by leap froggin it and finding another wolf guy?

ValfarHL

I was wondering last night whether it would be possible to move Deathfog around a map using the Polymorph ability "Terrain Transmutation" - Has anyone tried it?

Because if it's possible, I might use it to (LATE ACT 2 SPOILERS)
kill Jahan before I leave the area for his loot (unless he shows up later in the game? Is that the last of him?)

He
follows you on the boat to act 3 if you complete his quests

Top Bottom