• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Leezard

Everybody talking about act numbers, does the game actually define these acts? If not, how are people sure they're talking about the same thing when they refer to acts? Very confusing.

The game changes to a completely new header in the quest log. You also get a completely new "main map". Ignoring the boat prologue, everyone probably means the same thing. The act numbers themselves are not defined in the game from what I recall.

Leezard

OK so the acts are basically the journal chapter numbers+1?

I don't recall if there are numbers in journal and I can't check right now, so I can't really confirm. Fort Joy (whole island) is Act 1 and it should be obvious when you are changing acts after that.

kionedrik

Everybody talking about act numbers, does the game actually define these acts? If not, how are people sure they're talking about the same thing when they refer to acts? Very confusing.

I think of them as big maps. Fort Joy is the first big map hence being act 1. Driftwood is the next big map, so it's act 2 even though there's technically a very small set of maps in between Fort Joy and Driftwood.

Lanrutcon

Simple guide to knowing which chapter you are on.

Are you confused at all the menus but filled with wonder at the journey ahead of you? Chapter 0.
Are you sad that you can't afford anything and angry that they killed your cat? Chapter 1.
Are you frustrated at the amount of npcs crowding around the guy you want to rob? Chapter 2.
Have you lost track of what day and/or month it is due to the length of the chapter you just finished? Chapter 3.
Have you lost to ability to name any game that doesn't have "Divinity" in the title, and you're constantly worrying that the Larian shrine you built in the garage needs more candles? Chapter 4.

I'm level 17 and I seem to find mostly lvl 13 gear with lucky charm. :( It might scale to the level of enemies in the area. Either way, it's become pretty useless for me. Good thing I already have 170000 gold :D

Vendors restock based on your level. You should be swimming in nice gear if you have the funds.

So how is it exactly people are defining Acts? Everything appears to be chapters unless I have overlooked something. Unless that is what people are referring to?

Act= Leave a map never to return, all remaining sidequests on that map canceled or failed.

Act= Leave a map never to return, all remaining sidequests on that map canceled or failed.

That is basically what I figured. When people were saying there were spending 20+ hours in Act 1 and Chapter 1 in the game is
The Merryweather
I was sort of thinking, what the fuck.

It was my brother who pointed it out to me. I hadn't had a big chance to play until recently because life and my brother said he finished the first two acts in 20 hours and it just didn't add up to the experiences people generally write about.

cevion

Part of me is still hopeful that a future Enhanced Edition will have the Bard class. For the most part summoner doesn't feel like a major class, especially considering there were already summons in the first game, and it doesn't play that differently from any other casting class. Bard would be a much better class to have imo.

I agree. Summoner gets dull very fast. Sure, it's very powerful but casting the same spells every battle, and having your big ass incarnate fight for you isn't that fun. Plus it was already in the first game, as you mentioned. I'd love for Larian to do an EE of this one and add an offical Bard class.

cevion

Where can I find the
teleport gloves
in Act 1?

If you just come into Fort Joy, you should stumble into a nervous man on your way on the left side of town (with the gates pointing up, sorry I forgot where North is in Act 1). If you come to a singing/musically gifted dwarf you've gone to far. Nervous man will give you the quest, which will lead you to
kill some crocodiles on the beach, one of them drop the teleport gloves

Is it really good? Warfare only increases physical damage, and wands deal elemental damage. What is that character's primary purpose?

http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Warfare+Skills

'When using a staff or wand(s), all abilities that scale with weapon damage are converted into magic damage based on the staff's element or wands element(s) (if dual wielding) and will gain bonuses from intelligence. Please note that this damage does not benefit from warfares leveling bonus of 5% physical damage per combat point as the damage is no longer physical.'

So you don't get the bonus but the damage does scale.

Leezard

http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Warfare+Skills

'When using a staff or wand(s), all abilities that scale with weapon damage are converted into magic damage based on the staff's element or wands element(s) (if dual wielding) and will gain bonuses from intelligence. Please note that this damage does not benefit from warfares leveling bonus of 5% physical damage per combat point as the damage is no longer physical.'

So you don't get the bonus but the damage does scale.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. So you'd want Pyro or Hydrosophist or something if you want to boost your damage by levelling class skills.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. So you'd want Pyro or Hydrosophist or something if you want to boost your damage by levelling class skills.

Yeh, it seems to be an all around Battlemage build where you're tanky from shields, have good auto attacks and strong magic scaling.

I haven't tried it yet but I probably will in a future run.

Playing as Sebille and I have the Red Prince in my party. I get the feeling these two aren't going to be fast friends. Which might be entertaining, but do I have to worry about it messing up my party at some point?

To think that I could've missed this beauty if I didn't move close enough to the hidden spot or had enough wits..
YB9yTEK.jpg

Playing as Sebille and I have the Red Prince in my party. I get the feeling these two aren't going to be fast friends. Which might be entertaining, but do I have to worry about it messing up my party at some point?

They're both lovers in my game lmao.

Darkone

Sigh, got to level 7 and still on at the island in Act 1 playing on casual and thinking of changing to Tactician...but once i change there is no going back.

Soktos

Are you confused at all the menus but filled with wonder at the journey ahead of you? Chapter 0.
Are you sad that you can't afford anything and angry that they killed your cat? Chapter 1.
Are you frustrated at the amount of npcs crowding around the guy you want to rob? Chapter 2.
Have you lost track of what day and/or month it is due to the length of the chapter you just finished? Chapter 3.
Have you lost to ability to name any game that doesn't have "Divinity" in the title, and you're constantly worrying that the Larian shrine you built in the garage needs more candles? Chapter 4.

Brilliant.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So everyone in this thread will likely scoff at me, but I couldn't get into the first Original Sin because there were no quest markers and after several hours of trying to solve the murder in the first town I got annoyed and uninstalled the game. Does this game have quest markers? I'm interested in diving into a CRPG but I don't have the patience to run around for hours trying to figure out how to solve a single quest.

Sarcasm

So I haven't spent two levels in my combat abilities because I..feel like I will ruin everything and will have to suffer til I can respec.

ugh >.>

Shinjica

So everyone in this thread will likely scoff at me, but I couldn't get into the first Original Sin because there were no quest markers and after several hours of trying to solve the murder in the first town I got annoyed and uninstalled the game. Does this game have quest markers? I'm interested in diving into a CRPG but I don't have the patience to run around for hours trying to figure out how to solve a single quest.

No quest markers. Look online for solution if you are stuck

It DOES have quest markers... sort of?

Quests generally put 'flags' on your main map to tell you roughly where to head in order to do them. Some don't have flags (because they're open-ended) but many do, especially the main quests. You can also make pretty extensive notes yourself on the map to help you remember things. The markers won't lead you by the nose to exactly where you need to go every step, but they do put you in the right spot to get started.

cevion

Just want to put out a heads up for a potential quest-breaking bug to others playing with Fane in their party pertaining to Fane's quest in Act 2.

Fane will want you to visit a specific location in Act 2. When you reach that location (The B
lackpits)
, make sure you initiate the conversation with the main enemy of that place (you will know it when you see it) with Fane and noone else. (Spoiler:Name of said enemy)
The Eternal

This is good to keep in mind for every companion quest, lest they bug out like this. Always initiate companion quests with the corresponding companion. (Thanks to Lanrutcon for mentioning this)

Fane wasn't very specific on exactly what he was looking for, but then I again I could have been tired, thus leading to me missing it. I googled and I'm not alone in getting this bug.

I resorted to reloading an earlier save and I have almost caught up again. Just thought I'd warn others so they don't have to go through what I did. Other than the above mentioned, I'm having a blast with the game!

Vengal

I'm playing several games at the same time (which with OS1 prevented me from ever finishing the game), but I only have a rogue in one of my games. I feel at a loss as to how to make him more effective then he currently is. I feel like he really needs to be doing more damage then he is but since he's also undead keeping him up is complicated.

It took me way too long to realize that backstabs are auto crits which is leading me to question to point of wit. My rogue has almost all wit and finesse right now making him always to first and my goto finder guy. This leads to situations where I can have him delay his turn to the end allow him to go twice and do some good damage but if he can't get the target's armor off and apply some CC or physical debuffs he's dead. This forces me to use AP on play dead or invis in most situations.

I have to do an insane amount of cheesing and micromanagment using teleports and other shit just to keep my rogue from getting trained to death and feel effective and its starting to wear on me. My rogue died 3 times in a fight in act 2 while the rest of my party never died. After that death he just afked away from the battle while everyone else cleaned up.

Now discounting rangers entirely as they're OP as fuck late game i'm going to compare my rogue to a 2hand warrior I have in another game. Firstly strength is just a better stat then finesse and int. For whatever reason its the only of the three damage stats that actually does something other then damage and carrying weight is supremely annoying on my game where I don't have a heavy str character vs the one where I have my 2hand monster. Both my rogue and 2hand warrior have stealth and thieving as both those characters play similar roles in both my games. Both also are undead as I make poor decisions in life (and death). They both under ideal situations do similar damage. The problem i'm finding is the rogue is rarely in ideal situations. Backlash is putting him on front of targets instead of behind them, enemies often will be standing in a way where you can't backstab.

---
TLDR I think i'm building my rogue wrong. It feels like it has too much setup without really any benefit compared to a 2hand warrior. I feel like with the amount of setup a dagger rogue requires it should be doing 2-3x the damage of a 2hand warrior but math threads i've read seem to indicate that isn't the case. Currently my rogue is mostly DW/Scountral with some points into necromancer since he kept dying. Mostly fin/wit with some points into con.

Is it even worth all this effort?

cevion

TLDR I think i'm building my rogue wrong. It feels like it has too much setup without really any benefit compared to a 2hand warrior. I feel like with the amount of setup a dagger rogue requires it should be doing 2-3x the damage of a 2hand warrior but math threads i've read seem to indicate that isn't the case. Currently my rogue is mostly DW/Scountral with some points into necromancer since he kept dying. Mostly fin/wit with some points into con.

Is it even worth all this effort?

First of all, sorry for the wall of text mate!
I was told Rogue was really fun to play, and thought about respeccing my lvl 15 warrior. But then you mentioned the carry-capacity. Being the horder that I am, carrying almost 400 units of weight on my tank I wouldn't be able to respecc and still hoard. And now that I have above 50% crit chance on my 2-hand warrior and some good crit damage, I started liking her a lot more.

I've heard Rogue's are better in this game than the first, but not as strong as you for instance brought up Rangers, or Summoners. Do you have cloak/evasive maneuver, nether swap etc? (edit: sorry just read your post again - you mentioned having to cloak) I'd imagine you'd want as many mobility skills as possible (tactical retreat, the scoundrel TP skill, phoenix dive etc) and then always aim to use a mobility skill to get out of line of sight of the enemies at the end of your turn if cloak/evasive maneuver or feign death isn't up. I'd also advice getting armor healing spells (Fortify, Heart of Steel, Bone Cage and the likes) and magic armor (Magic Shell and Soothing Cold) on all, or at least 3 characters.

Is his armor up to date with his level? Have you tried putting Stench on him, or Comeback Kid along with the Idol that revives you? Maybe some other characters can help burst down phys armor with necro skills or Tentacle Lash? (I like to go 2 phys dmg dealers and 2 magic damage dealers for a balanced party)
The scaling of gear goes off the charts, as you might be aware of, thus getting new armor/weapons each level really helps.

This is about all advice I can give since I've yet to play a rogue. I do have an undead in my party though, and I noticed it's significantly easier to keep him alive if he's playing a caster or a ranger, than if he's a melee. Maybe you could cast Shackles of Pain + Living on the Edge for returning the damage to the enemies, and keeping him alive? I also recommend medusa head for petrification + crazy magic damage.

Good luck! Wish I could be more helpful -when /if I respec to Rogue I'll come back to you and do my best to give advice!

edit: Another tip is to give your casters bouncing shield for extra physical damage. Also enough in warfare to get the knockdowns on your rogue. Maybe this is all really basic for you, but I hope some of it helped.

edit2: One more tip is just to embrace your rogue dying and turn it into damage. Give him "Unstable", combo that with Flaming Crescendo and Comeback Kid/Idol. :) You can start out with Shackles of Pain (and maybe living on the edge) and then if he dies, he'll take someone with him through Shackles of pain. Upon death, he deals a shit ton of damage. Post death he gets up again through Talent or the Idol (maybe add the talent which heals you to full on resurrect too?)

edit3: Sorry again for my long as post, but smoke clouds + lots of mobility spells should really help your rogue stay alive. (You can do it the "normal" combo way or just make this skill through combining any Aero + Scoundrel skillbook: http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Smoke+Cover) It has a long cooldown, but as long as he's in the cloud he should be safe.

Human or Elf.
Enough Hunter to learn whatever abilities you need
2 points of Shapeshifting.
Max Warfare, then max Ranged, then max Hunting.
Get 2 points of Scoundrel for Adrenaline at some point.
Max Finesse.
Wear a crossbow, stick to high places.
Wear a socketed amulet with +crit runes.
Socket your crossbow with +physical.
Use magic arrows to murder high physical armor targets as they convert your damage to an element.

THank you

I have a sound bug out of nowhere, no dialog during chat, any ideas?

OP worthy

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It DOES have quest markers... sort of?

Quests generally put 'flags' on your main map to tell you roughly where to head in order to do them. Some don't have flags (because they're open-ended) but many do, especially the main quests. You can also make pretty extensive notes yourself on the map to help you remember things. The markers won't lead you by the nose to exactly where you need to go every step, but they do put you in the right spot to get started.

Hmm OK, not what I was hoping to hear. I guess I can buy it from Steam and refund it if I really can't get into it.

[RED PRINCE] Highly amusing. I will suffer you to stand in my glorious presence a bit longer.

Vengal

I was told Rogue was really fun to play, and thought about respeccing my lvl 15 warrior. But then you mentioned the carry-capacity. Being the horder that I am, carrying almost 400 units of weight on my tank I wouldn't be able to respecc and still hoard. And now that I have above 50% crit chance on my 2-hand warrior and some good crit damage, I started liking her a lot more.

I've heard Rogue's are better in this game than the first, but not as strong as you for instance brought up Rangers, or Summoners. Do you have cloak/evasive maneuver, nether swap etc? (edit: sorry just read your post again - you mentioned having to cloak) I'd imagine you'd want as many mobility skills as possible (tactical retreat, the scoundrel TP skill, phoenix dive etc) and then always aim to use a mobility skill to get out of line of sight of the enemies, at the end of your turn if cloak or feign death isn't up. I'd also advice getting armor healing spells (fortify, Heart of Steel, Bone Cage and the likes) and magic armor (Magic Shell and Soothing Cold) on all, or at least 3 characters.

Is his armor up to date with his level? Have you tried putting Stench on him, or Comeback Kid along with the Idol that revives you? Maybe some other characters can help burst down phys armor with necro skills or Tentacle Lash? (I like to go 2 phys dmg dealers and 2 magic damage dealers for a balanced party)
The scaling of gear goes off the charts, as you might be aware of ,thus getting new armor/weapons each level really helps,
This is about all advice I can give since I've yet to play a rogue. I do have an undead in my party though, and I noticed it's significantly easier to keep him alive if he's playing a caster or a ranger, than if he's a melee. Maybe you could cast Shackles of Pain + Living on the Edge for returning the damage to the enemies, and keeping him alive? I also recommend medusa head for petrification + crazy magic damage.

Good luck! Wish I could be more helpful -when /if I respec to Rogue I'll come back to you and do my best to give advice!

edit: Another tip is to give your casters bouncing shield for extra physical damage. Also enough warfare to get the knockdowns on your rogue. Maybe this is all really basic for you, but I hope some of it helped.
edit2: One more tip is just to embrace your rogue dying and turn it into damage. Give him "Unstable", combo that with Flaming Crescendo and Comeback Kid/Idol. :) You can start out with Shackles of Pain (and maybe living on the edge) and then if he dies, at least he deals a shit ton of damage. Sorry for the wall of text mate!

Are rogues better then they were in the first game? One ap backstabs and having near 14 ap made them seem like gods in the first game (as far as I got).

My 2hand warrior in my other game is a cc machine since he can reliably rip all the armor off multiple targets and has multiple ccs.

I use netherswap, teleport and almost all my defensive spells exclusively on the rogue. I hadn't thought of casting living on the edge on him or chains. I did find out that cryotherapy kills him though. That was exciting.

I play the warrior and the rogue almost identically it's just the warrior doesn't have the backstab tax. Once the warrior gets enough crit it's like you are backstabbing from any angle.

Do rogue abilities work with Spears?

Backstabs and certain rogue abilities require a dagger.

But spears scale off of dex and have better range than (any) other melee weapon, which makes them better an alternative for finess fighters.

cevion

Are rogues better then they were in the first game? One ap backstabs and having near 14 ap made them seem like gods in the first game (as far as I got).

My 2hand warrior in my other game is a cc machine since he can reliably rip all the armor off multiple targets and has multiple ccs.

I use netherswap, teleport and almost all my defensive spells exclusively on the rogue. I hadn't thought of casting living on the edge on him or chains. I did find out that cryotherapy kills him though. That was exciting.

I play the warrior and the rogue almost identically it's just the warrior doesn't have the backstab tax. Once the warrior gets enough crit it's like you are backstabbing from any angle.

I see what you mean. I never played rogue in either game yet, just going from info in this thread where it was stated (paraphrasing the amounts of "bigger thans" "Ranger>>>>Rogue>>>Warrior" (although I think Warrior is fine, but that was a point made in this thread a few days ago)

Oh, cryotherapy kills undead too? :/ That sucks, I thought it was dumb that Cryogenic Stasis heals first THEN adds invulnerability (it also kills undead). Hopefully they'll patch the order of the latter, making you invurnable first then healing you. According to the wiki, http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Vampiric+Hunger at least Vamp. Hunger heals undead though!

I would suggest trying chains + living on the edge + that pyro spell that makes you a living bomb + Unstable Talent. Use your disadvantage to your advantage ;)

I'm sorry I can't come with better tips since, as I mentioned, haven't got a chance to play rogue yet. Yeah, maxing crit when weapons give you +20% on 2H (10% on 1h), hothead 10%, amulets 9+%, and gloves 4% + peace of mind makes it easy to get it really high. I hope the guy who posted about how much he enjoyed wrecking with his rogue, and claimed it was much stronger than warrior comes back to the thread to teach us his/her ways!

On spears: AFAIK: All scoundrel "damage dealing" abilities except chloroform requires daggers (the game doesn't tell you until you buy the skillbooks). But I just saw a nice spear with 13 finesse requirement, and wondered the exact same thing, then remembered I already tried making my warrior a lean, mean, backstab machine. (It doesn't work :-()

The benefit of the rogue, as I see it, is that he can use almost all warfare skills with daggers, while a warrior can not use 90% of the scoundrel skills since they're daggers only.

With Medusa Head + haste/fortify etc I'm fine with my Warrior's damage and utility. (Someone was making the argument the other days that Warriors are pretty useless since Rangers do damage 2-3 times better at any range)

I hope it works out for you mate! Again, people in here have claimed that Rogues are not in the same league as Rangers. Appearently they can perma-stunlock and do more dmg than warriors, though (someone posted about how he beat (Act 2 boss spoiler) M
ordus
in his normal form thanks to stunlock on Tactician). I wouldn't know how though since I haven't played a rogue yet :( (I'm a broken record, sorry - gotta try Rogue out at some point though!)

I'm strongly suspecting your rogue would have a hell of a lot easier time if he wasn't undead. Do you have poison nova or something similar on your companions to heal him with?

(Sorry for wall of text yet again. I've had a few beers.)

Sygma

are there any purge weapons in act 2 ?
i sold all the ones i had from chapter 1 and well .. there s a shrieker in the blackpits :|

cevion

are there any purge weapons in act 2 ?
i sold all the ones i had from chapter 1 and well .. there s a shrieker in the blackpits :|

None that I've found. Continue the mainquest in Act 2 and you'll get a skill that does the exact same thing as the items you're referring to did :)

Zesh

Rogues are still pretty good, but they don't compare to Rangers. They do require a bit of micromanagement to use effectively, as they rely heavily on positioning.

Wits is useless for Rogues; spec out of it and go completely into Finesse for more damage. You should also max Warfare before you get Dual Wield at all (Warfare's damage bonus is multiplicative with your stat bonus, while weapon skills are additive with it). You'll also get some nice utility Warfare skills out of it, like Battle Stomp, Battering Ram, and Phoenix Dive.

Otherwise, the most important thing is to have up-to-date gear, especially weapons. Your item level is very important; try to keep it on par with your character level.

Venfayth

I haven't tried an archer build yet, but Sebille is my backstab rogue and she does just fine destroying most enemies, especially now that I got the scoundrel 3 source ambush ability.

Also I'm 50 hours in now, at the end of act 2, just finishing up things I haven't explored on the map, and I'm still in love with this game. I really enjoy the writing, like, a lot. It's very good. I disliked the humor in the first game but there seems to be a perfect balance in this one. The combat mechanics are very fun and rewarding and it's fun to experiment with lots of different playstyles.

Sygma

Advance the story to get your 2nd source point, you can use it in shriekers.

I have three skills at that point : "vampire bite" bless and spirit vision. Problem is that the range of the skill isn't nearly enough for me to engage the shrieker before he does

Just go around and use mobility skills to cross the gap.

Tried that, teleport doesn't cover the range

I'm experiencing a voice bug in 5.1 that heavily lowers the main dialog (Main narrator, speaking to any NPC).

Switching back to stereo sound will fix this bug.

This happened today for no obvious reason, I've played
around 10 hrs prior to this without issue.

windows 10

Reani

about rogues: their main advantages over rangers are mobility and utility. rangers dont do anything besides damage. Rogues can set athropy, sleep, utilize aoe CC with warfare etc while still doing high damage.
the only type of warriors that is decent is 2h warriors with their RIDICULOUS crit numbers with AOE abilities liek whirlwind and cripplling blow.

my party consists of 2h warrior, rogue and 2 rangers and i pretty much believe its a perfect composition to handle literally any fight. lots of damage, lots of crowd control, lots of utility.

sadblob

I have three skills at that point : "vampire bite" bless and spirit vision. Problem is that the range of the skill isn't nearly enough for me to engage the shrieker before he does

Didn't know that, I always used purging wands against shriekers.

Maybe you can sneak or tp behind them?

In the worst case I would sacrifice someone to get the kill, it's basically a res scroll per shrieker.

Vengal

-Snip-
I would suggest trying chains + living on the edge + that pyro spell that makes you a living bomb + Unstable Talent. Use your disadvantage to your advantage ;)

I'm sorry I can't come with better tips since, as I mentioned, haven't got a chance to play rogue yet. Yeah, maxing crit when weapons give you +20% on 2H (10% on 1h), hothead 10%, amulets 9+%, and gloves 4% + peace of mind makes it easy to get it really high. I hope the guy who posted about how much he enjoyed wrecking with his rogue, and claimed it was much stronger than warrior comes back to the thread to teach us his/her ways!
- Snip-

I'm going to try the chains and + living on the edge it seems like a really good idea I should have considered since my rogue already has high necro. I'm also going to dump some points into warfare which will sorta make the rogue into a similar playstyle as my 2hand warrior I just hope with much more singletarget dps.

thanks for the tips!

Rogues are still pretty good, but they don't compare to Rangers. They do require a bit of micromanagement to use effectively, as they rely heavily on positioning.

Wits is useless for Rogues; spec out of it and go completely into Finesse for more damage. You should also max Warfare before you get Dual Wield at all (Warfare's damage bonus is multiplicative with your stat bonus, while weapon skills are additive with it). You'll also get some nice utility Warfare skills out of it, like Battle Stomp, Battering Ram, and Phoenix Dive.

Otherwise, the most important thing is to have up-to-date gear, especially weapons. Your item level is very important; try to keep it on par with your character level.

That makes ALOT more sense in terms of my rogue compared to my warrior. Warrior is all str/warfare with some in 2hand weapon for crit. He hits like a fucking truck. Where as my rogue has alot in wits and some in DW as i thought the dodge would be helpful. Going to change him around abit and see if i can make him better thanks!

Gotta find someone else to be my finder now though, maybe my ranger but I'm seriously considering dropping my ranger for another mage or something they seem way too op.

Top Bottom