• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Dinjooh

We've been playing the game for around 40 hours by now, and while we're having a really good time - the whole using DS4 with Steam Big Picture is kinda driving us insane.

• Only sometimes does it recognize the controllers when launching the game, forcing us to close it and open it again.
  • Sometimes the cursor will get stuck in one direction (going in one direction in a window fx) forcing us to disconnect the controller and plug it back in again.
  • Plugging a controller back in again sometimes screws over the assignment menu, where a character will be unavailable for assignment for the second player, forcing us to reload the game.
  • Steam Big Picture notifications will sometimes get stuck on the screen, forcing us to quit the game for them to go away (I've tried to hide as many notifications as possible from steam, but can't seem to make them all go away, help)
We're still trucking along, but I can't wait for this to release on a console.

Oh, does anyone else still have the issue with 'Force Split Screen' disabling itself at random? (Just like D:OS 1 did)

If you ever found yourself under-leveled, it means that you're not supposed to encounter that place yet.

It's certainly still possible but will be harder. Also, you'll over-level the other content on the map later.

The enemy placement on the map is designed with 'designated paths' in this kind of games.

you are suppose to encounter whatever you encounter

We've been playing the game for around 40 hours by now, and while we're having a really good time - the whole using DS4 with Steam Big Picture is kinda driving us insane.

• Only sometimes does it recognize the controllers when launching the game, forcing us to close it and open it again.
  • Sometimes the cursor will get stuck in one direction (going in one direction in a window fx) forcing us to disconnect the controller and plug it back in again.
  • Plugging a controller back in again sometimes screws over the assignment menu, where a character will be unavailable for assignment for the second player, forcing us to reload the game.
  • Steam Big Picture notifications will sometimes get stuck on the screen, forcing us to quit the game for them to go away (I've tried to hide as many notifications as possible from steam, but can't seem to make them all go away, help)
We're still trucking along, but I can't wait for this to release on a console.

Oh, does anyone else still have the issue with 'Force Split Screen' disabling itself at random? (Just like D:OS 1 did)

Use DS4Windows instead.

you are suppose to encounter whatever you encounter

Just a tip to avoid unnecessary frustrations.

Stevey

How do you have two source points? What level are you? I just reached this part last night and saved just before the battle. I'm thinking that I must have missed something since I'm only level 12 and the boss is level 14.

I started the battle at Level 13 but levelled up halfway through.

Bluth54

My advice for beginners is to play on explorer for the first Act, or maybe half of it to learn the ropes of the system.

After a while, most people would find the game becoming too easy. That's the time to switch to classic mode.

The game is perfectly balanced on Classic imho. Yes, some fights might still screw you up but nothing is impossible in this game.

Nah there's a huge difficulty gap between explorer and classic and having another difficulty in there wouldn't hurt anything.

Sentenza

Nah there's a huge difficulty gap between explorer and classic and having another difficulty in there wouldn't hurt anything.
What would be the point?
You either understand the system (and then Classic isn't even that challenging and if anything you can consider Tactician) or you don't, so you can stick to the easy option.

It's a turn-based tactical game. It's not like fast reflexes and supreme skill are required.
It's literally all about learning to make use of the tools at your disposal.

Bluth54

What would be the point?
You either understand the system (and then Classic isn't even that challenging and if anything you can consider Tactician) or you don't, so you can stick to the easy option.

It's a turn-based tactical game. It's not like fast reflexes and supreme skill are required.
It's literally all about learning to make use of the tools at your disposal.

Have you actually looked at the difference between the modes? There's objectively a very large difference in difficulty between the two modes and I can't imagine I'm the only person who finds Explorer too easy and Classic too difficult. What's the problem with providing more options for players?

The first Original Sin Enhanced Edition had the same issue and it's disappointing they didn't do anything for the sequel. Most games do a much better job of trying to have a more balanced normal/default difficulty than these games do.

Lanrutcon

Have you actually looked at the difference between the modes? There's objectively a very large difference in difficulty between the two modes and I can't imagine I'm the only person who finds Explorer too easy and Classic too difficult. What's the problem with providing more options for players?

The first Original Sin Enhanced Edition had the same issue and it's disappointing they didn't do anything for the sequel.

Meh.

Classic is hard until you understand the game mechanics, then it's just going through the motions to reach the ending. The difficulty of D:OS lies squarely with the player's ability to learn. I'd say don't add another difficulty level, just smooth out the learning curve on Classic. Right now it's a lightning bolt, not a curve.

Most games do a much better job of trying to have a more balanced normal/default difficulty than these games do.

Most games offer 1/40th of the freedom this game does.

Most games offer 1/40th of the freedom this game does.

Yeah, this right here is the key. Classic is not difficult, it only requires you to be creative. If you failed an encounter once, don't approach it again with the same strategy. They offer free respec and autosave before important encounters for a reason. It's the the core of the difficulty system in these games.

Meh.

Classic is hard until you understand the game mechanics, then it's just going through the motions to reach the ending. The difficulty of D:OS lies squarely with the player's ability to learn. I'd say don't add another difficulty level, just smooth out the learning curve on Classic. Right now it's a lightning bolt, not a curve.

Smoothing out the learning curve would be just fine. It's just that there's no curve to learn on Explorer at all currently because everything is way too easy. What's the point of learning the system when you win every fight regardless? Other option is to try and try and try again on Classic against simple mobs until you "get" even a small part of the system and manage to win (which I did for the first 7 hours) which like you said is not a curve at all.

That said, I am no expert with CRPGs but I did do everything in PoE a while ago without having to drop into the lower difficulty levels and I do enjoy hard games very much.

Orcastar

There are a lot of quests in Act 2 where you can
get more source points.
. Just explore more.

If you ever found yourself under-leveled, it means that you're not supposed to encounter that place yet.

It's certainly still possible but will be harder. Also, you'll over-level the other content on the map later.

The enemy placement on the map is designed with 'designated paths' in this kind of games.

That's what I figured, but I've been exploring pretty extensively and haven't found any places with enemies closer to my level. Guess I have some more exploring to do today.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm really still shocked at people saying classic is hard. I've been playing on Tactician from the get go and find it very well balanced so far, my party is now level 9 and just started act 2. Can you guys explain why you think classic is hard? I feel like you might be "doing it wrong" in some way and really want to understand this situation.

Yeah, this right here is the key. Classic is not difficult, it only requires you to be creative. If you failed an encounter once, don't approach it again with the same strategy. They offer free respec and autosave before important encounters for a reason. It's the the core of the difficulty system in these games.

Some fights maybe. There are some which are grade A bullshit without pre knowledge of whats going to happen. Some burning cross bitch in Act 2. Fireball which decimates my full tanks magic armour of 800 in one shot. Instantly charms him he proceeds to phoenix dive my ranger and turns him into a chicken. Both my chars out of action. I replayed this fight numerous times and beyond pre-cheesing the fight with buffs and potions there isn't much you can do to stop that combo. I was also 1 level higher than the enemy.

In the end I cheesed it. I initiated the fight with phoenix dive so when the inevitable charm happened my ranger was way out of reach and unable to be dive bombed.

Some fights maybe. There are some which are grade A bullshit without pre knowledge of whats going to happen. Some burning cross bitch in Act 2. Fireball which decimates my full tanks magic armour of 800 in one shot. Instantly charms him he proceeds to phoenix dive my ranger and turns him into a chicken. Both my chars out of action. I replayed this fight numerous times and beyond pre-cheesing the fight with buffs and potions there isn't much you can do to stop that combo. I was also 1 level higher than the enemy.

In the end I cheesed it. I initiated the fight with phoenix dive so when the inevitable charm happened my ranger was way out of reach and unable to be dive bombed.

Alice?

I divided my party into two. My tanks up front engaging the battle, and my ranged units in the 2nd floor of the ruined building. The mage supported my tank by giving magic armor, while my ranger decimated her as soon as her can. Because our ranged units were so far away from her, she focused on my tanks instead. She's down in a couple of turns.

Lanrutcon

Tactician run going smoothly. Reached level 4 without having to fight any enemies in Chapter 1. Escaped the fort without firing a shot.

AlanOC91

When do I get to re-spec?

Generally my team is ok but I made some changes I want to undo. I have Red Prince reflecting 20% of all damage received and so far it sucks and is generally not useful.

My Fane is terrible. I feel like most turns he's not doing anything useful so I just want to re-do him.

Also, what else can I do as a Summoner? I'm like Summoner level 6 and all I've been doing is casting the summon minion and summon totem.

When do I get to re-spec?

Generally my team is ok but I made some changes I want to undo. I have Red Prince reflecting 20% of all damage received and so far it sucks and is generally not useful.

My Fane is terrible. I feel like most turns he's not doing anything useful so I just want to re-do him.

Also, what else can I do as a Summoner? I'm like Summoner level 6 and all I've been doing is casting the summon minion and summon totem.

I think you can respc at the begining of Act Two.

I want to redo my entire team but I'm 15 hours in and the thought of having to grit my teeth until I can respec or start again fills me with dread.

Tacitus_

Alice?

I divided my party into two. My tanks up front engaging the battle, and my ranged units in the 2nd floor of the ruined building. The mage supported my tank by giving magic armor, while my ranger decimated her as soon as her can. Because our ranged units were so far away from her, she focused on my tanks instead. She's down in a couple of turns.

Shit, I just teleported her off the cliff while she was talking so I wouldn't have to bother with the cursed fire nor the totems. After the first round, she was permanently CCd and killed off.

Tanis

This game would really benefit from a couple of new difficulty modes. One between Explorer and Classic and another between Classic and Tactician.

Cast a scroll or spell of clear mind on the charmed character.

I didn't really have any problems with Alice when I finally decided to fight her with my party 1 level higher than she is.

Lanrutcon

In reality, when you factor in rez scrolls, there aren't a lot of tough fights. However, there are a few fights where I felt that taking at least one casualty was out of the question.

One of those demons under the island in Chapter 2 had 56 initiative and Arrow Storm. She popped my tank like a zit before I even had a chance to act with a character.

Llyranor

Still in Act 1, but absolutely loving Tactician diff. Almost every fight feels like a boss battle with party members near the verge of death. It's so much fun. I'm actually really liking the physical/magical armor system in terms of how to approach encounters.

Moff

In reality, when you factor in rez scrolls, there aren't a lot of tough fights. However, there are a few fights where I felt that taking at least one casualty was out of the question.

One of those demons under the island in Chapter 2 had 56 initiative and Arrow Storm. She popped my tank like a zit before I even had a chance to act with a character.
You can kill it without unleashing it.

Lanrutcon

You can kill it without unleashing it.

Pfft. I don't run a pansy crew, mister. I had 0 points in Persuasion across the board. I couldn't even get into that room without violence and soul eating. My entire Bloodmoon island experience revolved around killing and/or eating everything without bothering to talk first.

Pfft. I don't run a pansy crew, mister. I had 0 points in Persuasion across the board. I couldn't even get into that room without violence and soul eating. My entire Bloodmoon island experience revolved around killing and/or eating everything without bothering to talk first.

You can kill the demons without breaking their chains. No talking involved.

KorrZ

I don't think the game needs any additional difficulty settings, really it just needs a more balanced difficulty curve for classic mode. Right now it's backwards with the beginning being hard and the endgame being a cake walk.

Beginning of Fort Joy (Hard) -> Tail end of Fort Joy (Normal) -> Beginning of Act 2 (Hard) -> Rest of the game (Easy)

I haven't struggled with any fights in the game once I got past the beginning stages of Act 2.

Alice?

Im doing a Lone Wolf run. It only took my ranger two 4 attacks to take her down but the turns in between and the charm is what got me.

Cast a scroll or spell of clear mind on the charmed character.

I didn't really have any problems with Alice when I finally decided to fight her with my party 1 level higher than she is.

Completely forgot about that spell. Well thats gonna be permanently mapped now.

Lanrutcon

You can kill the demons without breaking their chains. No talking involved.

Interesting.

When I got into the room, the chains were already broken? The ghosts at the door required a speech check to let me in, which I failed, so I ate them and that broke the chains before I'd entered.

Oh, so the interface is completely overhauled?

Yes, it uses a completely different interface. To the point that you can't change on the fly- you have to quit the game and restart with your control method of choice.

Only issues with a controller are:

1) You can't sell all of your marked junk with one click of a button
2) You cannot toggle whether your helmet is visible on your character model.

Both oversights will hopefully be addressed at some point.

Yes, it uses a completely different interface. To the point that you can't change on the fly- you have to quit the game and restart with your control method of choice.

Only issues with a controller are:

1) You can't sell all of your marked junk with one click of a button
2) You cannot toggle whether your helmet is visible on your character model.

Both oversights will hopefully be addressed at some point.

I see. Thanks for that.

Taruranto

qN03y5J.jpg

Gosh, this place sucked. Slow movement speed + "pixel" hunting= awful.

that fucking Scarecrow

granted i'm two level below him, but the bullshit permanent terror aura that ignores MA is maddening

Just avoid him for now. I recommend doing him after you visited the
3 altars,
because the quest bugs out, otherwise.

Man, when the enemies start having teleportation....no beuno man.

lol. Teleporting gator made me fucking fume in chapter 1. Its easier to deal with in later chapters once you have a better spell arsenal.

What level did most of you finish Act 2? Im currently 16 and running out of quests which I think are lower levels quests which wont give me much XP now. I will soon be massacre'ing the entire island.

kionedrik

lol. Teleporting gator made me fucking fume in chapter 1. Its easier to deal with in later chapters once you have a better spell arsenal.

What level did most of you finish Act 2? Im currently 16 and running out of quests which I think are lower levels quests which wont give me much XP now. I will soon be massacre'ing the entire island.

I finished it at 17.5 approximately. Act 3 stuff are level 16 & 17 so I was already overleveled when I started it. By the end of Act 3 I was 19 and possibly overleved again for Act 4 (not that I care that much tbh).

Elven_Star

25 hours in, Act 2, level 13 right now. Going with a summoner/necromancer Fane and a Scoundrel/Warfare (ranged) Lohse. For Fane I've pumped the most points in Intelligence, for Lohse Finesse (will go for Wits next probably). What are some fun spells for this setup and where can I get the spellbooks?

I finished it at 17.5 approximately. Act 3 stuff are level 16 & 17 so I was already overleveled when I started it. By the end of Act 3 I was 19 and possibly overleved again for Act 4 (not that I care that much tbh).

Lol jeez.

My co op team...end of Act 2 and we're about 18 1/4 I think. We've done as much as we can and then my character role played and decided to pickpocket the town before she took them all out in a glorious bloodbath.

Just waiting on the patch to fix the Tarquin quest bug and it'll be onto Act 3

Top Bottom