• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Maximo

So do the party members not in your group travel with you or once you leave the first area is that your set party and you can't get the others that you leave behind?

They all join you on the ship regardless if you helped them or their personal quests, didn't find Fane but he ended up on my ship and acted like nothing happened.
"edit. Scratch that yes you *leave them* behind at a certain part in the story.

Alastor3

Hunter build
I was thinking of doing a Huntsman lizard that can dig so with lots of wits and since i will have lots of wits let's take glass cannon. I also want telekinesis and transmutation for the wings. What other thing I should had? What's good with huntsman ?

Love the feeling of success in having beaten a fight that you died multiple times on. Technically I beat it once but had 2 party members down. I did it again and I only had 1 party member down due to my derp on how cursed blood works (you can't heal when you're standing in it). Ultimately took 5 tries.

Burt

The big incarnate

tumblr_ndoyjdEMVh1qgx323o3_r1_500.gif

I ran into my first level 4 inquisitor playing as an inquisitor. He turned all my strengths against me! Good AI.

I'm not 100% sure I've got the right party mix, my character is the aforementioned Inquisitor with Seb/rogue, Lhose/Polymorph and Red/Enchanter. Thinking I need more range and maybe some fire.

Remember to quicksave on habit people. I accidently reloaded thinking I have but instead it sent me a good 20 minutes from where I was... gotta finish this fight sequence again.

I ran into my first level 4 inquisitor playing as an inquisitor. He turned all my strengths against me! Good AI.

I'm not 100% sure I've got the right party mix, my character is the aforementioned Inquisitor with Seb/rogue, Lhose/Polymorph and Red/Enchanter. Thinking I need more range and maybe some fire.

every party mix is the right mix if you put enough hutzspa in it

Ryzaki009

That sounds bad.

And I'm nearing 12 hours playtime, only 10 minutes to reach it in fact. Whelp.

I had 16 hours when I left fort joy and I never crashed. And I'm pretty sure I did every single quest in that area too. So there's a chance you might not get it.

Ryzaki009

So I read something about a
black cat being a pet if you keep it alive
, is there any obvious benefits to keep it around?

If your a summoner not really. Maybe if you're a squishy because the combination of it's leap and swap places with master is a poor man's flight from polymorph if you want it as a backup but other than that it really sucks.

Edit: And I just realized I dp'd. Damnit. >_>

Shahadan

Black cat spoilers:
One of your characters, the one the cat is following, is going to get the cat as a summon. For me it was The Red Prince, who sadly has 0 levels on summon, so the only thing the cat can do is jump and change places with his owner,
don't know what he gets if you level up summon

To me that's really fun and useful since that character is my tank so it saved my other character's ass a couple time

Massicot

Just like other people in that Larian forum listed, I only seem to have issues in-game around the fort kitchen. I still have issues loading saves anywhere though. Lots of crashes.

Stiler

So I'm talking about dropping the Red Prince from my party. I thought at first his storyline would be interesting but he and Sebille are just straight up pricks it seems.

Is it just me or do the party members mostly seem like...bad guys? Like there's none that seem like morally good people except for Beast/Fane (who I'm playing as) so far.

Sebille and Ifan are both murders, Red Prince looks down on everyone, and Loche I haven't met yet, but I really hope she's more like Beast and less like the others.

As far as classes go, what would work good with a Battle mage?

I intend to have Loche be the mage/healer, then have Beast be the tank, and Ifan be the long range poke with his bow.

Just trying to figure our what skills would be good to get, what are some "must have" skills that can really help out? I already have Pet Pal.

So I'm talking about dropping the Red Prince from my party. I thought at first his storyline would be interesting but he and Sebille are just straight up pricks it seems.

Is it just me or do the party members mostly seem like...bad guys? Like there's none that seem like morally good people except for Beast/Fane (who I'm playing as) so far.

Sebille and Ifan are both murders, Red Prince looks down on everyone, and Loche I haven't met yet, but I really hope she's more like Beast and less like the others.

I intend to have Loche be the mage/healer, then have Beast be the tank, and Ifan be the long range poke with his bow.

Just trying to figure our what skills would be good to get, what are some "must have" skills that can really help out? I already have Pet Pal.

they are all good people
Sebille is cuddly
Red Prince is just misunderstood
Loche is a people person

there's no such thing as a must have skill

How far are you into the story? Did you escape Fort Joy (not the island, the prison)? Red Prince turned into a likeable good character after that checkpoint in his new dialogues.

Doc_Drop

Probably a stupid question that's already been answered, I'm assuming it doesn't matter which companions you have in your party escaping fort joy with regards to having access to them in the future? As long as I've recruited them at some point I assume?

MikeBison

Hmmm not sure I got enough skills whilst in the fort. Now I'm in the prison. Might reload a previous and go do some pick pocketing...

Stiler

they are all good people
Sebille is cuddly
Red Prince is just misunderstood
Loche is a people person

there's no such thing as a must have skill

I'm talking about skills that offer a lot of benefit for the investment into them.

How far are you into the story? Did you escape Fort Joy (not the island, the prison)? Red Prince turned into a likeable good character after that checkpoint in his new dialogues.

I'm still running around Fort Joy the island doing quests and figuring out how to solve some.

I'm talking about skills that offer a lot of benefit for the investment into them.

I'm still running around Fort Joy the island doing quests and figuring out how to solve some.

that's all of them...depending on how you play

Where can I first pick it up?

the first town you are in after the boat you get a quest that gives any of your characters to use teleport. otherwise you need aero skill points

I had 16 hours when I left fort joy and I never crashed. And I'm pretty sure I did every single quest in that area too. So there's a chance you might not get it.

I'm at 15 hours now and everything seems fine. I've also cleared the fort for teh lootz.

Teleport is a must have skill.
The various healing skills as well.

Indeed.

Teleporting the mage/archer into the middle of the fight then unleash everything on them is my go-to strategy for my first turn. Mages are usually the most annoying enemy in this game, and they need to die as soon as possible every time. I also have 2 hydro healers and a wayfarer with first aid.

Ryzaki009

I'm at 15 hours now and everything seems fine. I've also cleared the fort for teh lootz.

Indeed.

Teleporting the mage/archer into the middle of the fight then unleash everything on them is my go-to strategy for my first turn. Mages are usually the most annoying enemy in this game, and they need to die as soon as possible every time. I also have 2 hydro healers and a wayfarer with first aid.

OH good :)

And agreed. There was this summoner who's summons summoned more adds. I just teleported her in the middle of Knight Sebille, Archer Ifan and Red Prince's Super Summon and they just went ham on her. XD

Shinjica

there is no way to reduce skill countdown like the previous game, right?

I really dont like the new magic armor /physical armor mechanics. Have to remove them before inflicting status effect level down the fun of being broken

Bizzquik

Any videos of the controller in action?
I did YouTube searches, tried to find a Twitch stream...can't find anything.

I want to see how the UI looks in-game, in-menu, etc...so far, comin' up empty in my efforts to find somethin'.

I really dont like the new magic armor /physical armor mechanics. Have to remove them before inflicting status effect level down the fun of being broken

it ups the challenge in to waste cooldowns or not to rid the armor so another champ can do the real effects and make it easier for you to also easier to avoid certain stuff if your play style is crippled by it. i spend all the time in the world to make sure magic armor is always up and worry less about physical armor

Sanctuary

It also makes Provoke (taunt) pretty pointless. You'd generally want to taunt whatever can fuck up your casters the easiest, which is usually a strong melee character. In this game though, you get to play "whittle down the fake HP first" before you can taunt. Because you know, they are wearing Magneto helmets that prevent psychic attacks. It's pretty stupid too, because in this game Provoke has pretty much no range.

Anoxida

So I'm in the marshes right now and what started as a really challenging game, almost to the point of fustrating, has flipped totally. My tank has 300 hp and almost 100 armor so I make sure to have him charge in first and he soaks up the damage like a champ. My shadowblade, who's pretty fucking broken, picks off the ranged mobs and my two casters summon, crowd control and applies status effects. I think i prettt much struck gold with my setup. Like seriously rogue/shadowblade DW are so OP. My gladscannon shadowblade can deal over 170 damage per turn. Mix scoundrel with some warfare skills for your rogues btw. The knockdown move is especially good since not even bosses at this point have armor left after the initial two attaks so immediate CC and 0 armor. Pump finesse and DW when leveling him/her. If I cant kill an enemy in one turn then I can just knock it down and finish it off the next. Highly recommend a DW dagger character for those who've yet to decide. Its weak to start but becomes a monster around lv 4. Theres some really good unique daggers dropping in the fort area
in the dungeon by some magister named kniles I think
. I got a purple and blue one on mine now though.

Gothos

Guys, on whom do you have Pet Pal? Main char or companion? I put it on Fane and wondering if I should pick it on my main character, too. Any tangible advantage to have it on main char?

Rad-

It also makes Provoke (taunt) pretty pointless. You'd generally want to taunt whatever can fuck up your casters the easiest, which is usually a strong melee character. In this game though, you get to play "whittle down the fake HP first" before you can taunt. Because you know, they are wearing Magneto helmets that prevent psychic attacks. It's pretty stupid too, because in this game Provoke has pretty much no range.

I didn't even realize Provoke was affected by armor. Welp that's a pretty useless skill then.

Chaos17

I'm a bit disappointed with the first town, not because of the lack of content but in term of immersion. This is supposed to be a prison ruled by magisters but you can freely walk around with your weapons and all little details like that make me "not feeling it" compared to DOS where I liked the first town much more.

UberLevi

Teleportation is always really handy. Decent damage, enemy repositioning, low investment, utility outside of combat (who needs telekinesis?), AND it ignores armor resistances (unless they're fortified). Restoration / First Aid are also handy to keep around so you always have free healing out of combat.

Talents-wise Executioner is really strong from what I've experienced so far. 2AP returned on kills, near the end of fights if you've been spreading your damage out and have a couple of low enemies you can really rack up a kill streak, especially if you have ranged damage or a gap-closer.

Guys, on whom do you have Pet Pal? Main char or companion? I put it on Fane and wondering if I should pick it on my main character, too. Any tangible advantage to have it on main char?
There's an annoying issue with having Pet Pal on one character where even if you're controlling them if another party member without it runs ahead of you they often trigger events with animals, can't talk to them, and initiate combat.

Shinjica

I'm a bit disappointed with the first town, not because of the lack of content but in term of immersion. This is supposed to be a prison ruled by magisters but you can freely walk around with your weapons and all little details like that make me "not feeling it" compared to DOS where I liked the first town much more.

i thinked the same thing when i arrived. I've to say, i like much more the first act of Original sin 1

Mudo

I am having the worst time picking a "class" for my characters. I can only have 4 ppl at a time and just don't see a way to fit all i want. I've got a fire/geomancy wizard and hydro/air whatever, then a warrior type 2H, and a dual dagger rogue. I cant find any way to take things like summoning,polymorph, the entire ranger/bow lines, necromancy etc. Is this just the way it is? Stuff sounds amazing and i hate the thought of not ever using any of it. Another thing i keep reading is that hybrids are not a good idea - hybrid here means a character that has skills that depend on more than 1 stat. Is it true that if i have to raise 2 stats on someone they will end up meh at everythng? it would make my life easier if i could just tack the missing things on to my 4 peeps.

Otherwise i am really liking the game so far. cheese mixed with darker storyline is so weird but cool. Music is good so far but nothing yet on the order of Broken Valley Wakes from Divinity 2 (by Kirill). So sad he is gone i still cannot believe it...

Issues so far:
- camera panning and moving around is a little choppy and i haven't been able to find a setting that is causing it. I've got a 1080ti and it preset everything to max but it's got to be something.

- they need to add camera tilting BADLY. I want to be able to get it in lower so i can see inside tents etc. Also the zoom should go farther out than it does.

- I've had characters refuse to follow me up ladders/vines and for sone reasons it's almost always the Red Prince. weird.

- picking up loot takes far too long. cut the animation and just add items to inventory when you click them.

- character movement is too slow unless i've missed s setting somewhere. They seem to be "running" through jello or something i really hope there is a way to speed them up

That's it from 4 hours playing. little issues here and there but so far i'm digging it!

Is Phoenix Dive available anywhere? Tired of the Red Prince running to his prey.

You can get Bull's Rush and then you can take other skills to make it easier, 1pt Polymorph gives you Bull's Horns(gives you a 2nd charge, that bleeds instead of knockdown), 2pt polymorph gives you Wings(1ap 1turn cd flight move skill, excelent stuff for moving around and lasts for like 3 or 4 turns, also makes you take no surface damage when moving around, sadly not when you're standing still though), 1pt Scoundrel gives you Backslash or whatever which teleports you behind the enemy, 2pt Scoundrel Cloak and Dagger 1ap teleport, 2pt Huntsman Tactical Retreat which moves you around AND gives haste(forgot the AP cost though). Can also use Blitz in Warfare which will jump to an enemy, attack, then jump to another close and attack, leaving you there. The destination can't be controlled easily if there's a bunch of stuff together, but used on a single mob it'll just move you behind it like Backslash.

If you're pure warfare your options are a bit limited but having 1pt poly mostly fixed my issues with Bull's Horns tbh, once you have 2movement skills it tends to be fine. Also use teleport from mages to move stuff closer to you, works fine that way.

Provoke should definitely go through armor, it kinda sucks since it only lasts one turn and has a shitty aoe. I did learn it on my tank cause I found a book for free and I got to use it on a really high health mini boss encounter thing since I ripped his physical armor very quickly but still wasn't that great especially with the huge cooldown. I'm not too bothered with the tank efficiency though, double knockdown and cripple are pretty solid right now.

Btw is there a "town" other than Fort Joy in act1? I killed one of the book vendors fairly early on as part of origin quests and it's really hurting my mages' progression. On the other hand I also want to kill the others to get some free books cause all these spells are expensive as hell.

Rad-

I am having the worst time picking a "class" for my characters. I can only have 4 ppl at a time and just don't see a way to fit all i want. I've got a fire/geomancy wizard and hydro/air whatever, then a warrior type 2H, and a dual dagger rogue. I cant find any way to take things like summoning,polymorph, the entire ranger/bow lines, necromancy etc. Is this just the way it is? Stuff sounds amazing and i hate the thought of not ever using any of it. Another thing i keep reading is that hybrids are not a good idea - hybrid here means a character that has skills that depend on more than 1 stat. Is it true that if i have to raise 2 stats on someone they will end up meh at everythng? it would make my life easier if i could just tack the missing things on to my 4 peeps.

Polymorph and necromancy are very good secondary skillsets for a physical dude so you can give those to warrior and rogue. I'd give polymorph to warrior (many polymorph skills are STR based) and necromancy to rogue.

Top Bottom