• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Maybe I'll enjoy it more once I get armor like the enemies are wearing. I also get 50+ physical armor sets at level 3, right? Can't wait. I'm level 4, so I probably just haven't found a non-shitty trader yet.

I mean my level 3 Fane is already rockin 38/38, but fights dont have to be "Fair fights".
[
vdozC2q.png

Yea the system is different, but its different to give all classes a purpose.

The thought of using a shield in D:OS is laughable, D:OS2? Hell yes i would like 20 physical armor and 13 magic armor.... Which can be refreshed every 3 turns.
Rogues/Rangers are now a much more rewarding choice. Like a rogues purpose goes from "hit the thing till it dies"-> "Shred its armor in 1 turn, and let X party member CC it"

Is there a way to move around the map easier? I know fast travel exists, but that's not the issue. The issue is, the maps can be pretty dense, and while you can drop markers and waypoints, it's still extremely annoying to move around towards specific places. Unless I'm missing something, you can't simply bring up the world map and then click on an area to view that area. It only allows you to make markers and notes.

It's probably because of engine streaming issues. Most of the isometric games that I can think of that do what you are asking for are using 2D backgrounds.

Shahadan

Does pickpocket ever reset? It says I can't pickpocket people anymore.

I don't think so. At some point you probably can just kill them, lol.
In the meantime maybe explore some other parts for loot or buy some mediocre items to fill the slots. One of my character kept dying because I had forgotten to give him gloves and boots. Makes the difference pretty quickly

Keasar

Some of these fights are really just taking the piss.

The Witch Radeka for example.

I have no idea how you are supposed to smartly play yourself through these except just grind more xp untill you can come back and survive the absolute barrages of extra monsters ALWAYS summoned out the arse.

MrCinos

I'm surprised experienced players dislike tactician difficulty. I'm past Fort Joy and glad that I picked it, you really need to use a wide variety of skills to succeed (polymorph chicken is MvP though, bails me out a lot), but I've yet to feel powerless with so many options and workarounds.

I've 2 physical and 2 magic users and still find the amount of mag/phy armor on enemy fair.

Pet Pal really is the best trait. Some of the stuff it lets you access is just incredible.

Props to the animal VOs. They totally pull it off.
Is there any way to resurrect characters short of buying more scrolls or getting the spell?

There's a trait that will auto-revive someone at 20% HP once per combat encounter. Comeback Kid, I think? So they only die for realz once double-tapped. It will refresh if you rez them on their third death during combat.

Other than that, I dunno.

I know it's not meant to be played this way, but I really wish I could recruit everyone at once. I always enjoyed cheating in games like NWN and enabling the ability to recruit everyone so I didn't miss any dialogue/story bits.

Vamphuntr

Some of these fights are really just taking the piss.

The Witch Radeka for example.

I have no idea how you are supposed to smartly play yourself through these except just grind more xp untill you can come back and survive the absolute barrages of extra monsters ALWAYS summoned out the arse.

There will probably be a balance patch eventually. Past a point every fight is more or less a gameover screen on classic. They went overboard for the AI. It doesn't really play fair as it seems their range is much higher and so their AP count. The fight at the beginning of act 2 made me want to smack my computed with sledgehammer . Enemies fly around have 200+ armor and magic armor and snipe you from all across the map while the fight is timed is not very fun.

Vengal

Maybe I'll enjoy it more once I get armor like the enemies are wearing. I also get 50+ physical armor sets at level 3, right? Can't wait. I'm level 4, so I probably just haven't found a non-shitty trader yet.

Once you get armor it does feel alot more fair. I remember the first time I found legit armor playing early access and my fighter went from having 10 physical armor to like 80. Saying that now however i'm level 4 and am still using trash armor and its rough.

Talents

Banned
Is there anyone at Fort Joy who sells Aerotheurge spells apart from Gawin as he's already gone. If not that's absolute garbage.

Burt

Gareth is outside the Braccus Armoury (there should be a quest flag there) being assaulted by a bunch of magisters. The Braccus Armoury is located north of the Burning Pigs and quite a bit north of the camp/hideout. There is a Waypoint right where he is.

Yeah thanks, I found him like 6 seconds after I posted :)

Anyone know what the deal is with that static cloud
tower in the north-mid part of the map?
I've cleared out most of the act besides that, and I can't find any connection - even clipping the camera in and getting the people's names.

Also, can't find the leggings for the
Braccus Rex set. Have Helmet, chest, gloves, and ring.

Lanrutcon

Once you get armor it does feel alot more fair. I remember the first time I found legit armor playing early access and my fighter went from having 10 physical armor to like 80. Saying that now however i'm level 4 and am still using trash armor and its rough.

Well, I just bumbled out of the fort for the first time. I skipped pretty much every fight. Once I get some gear I'll go back.

MikeBison

When you guys say Fane's undead, what do you mean? Just his pickpocket and face ripping skills? (Although haven't gotten to rip any faces yet, still in the prison though so maybe that comes soon?)

Speely

Banned
Didn't play the first but am picking this up. How extensive is the build customization? Lots of different and divergent builds? I love theorycrafting and digging in vs just rolling with metas.

Game looks amazing either way. I feel foolish for missing the first one, but the DM mode in the sequel appeals to me too much to put it off ;)

Sanctuary

When you guys say Fane's undead, what do you mean? Just his pickpocket and face ripping skills? (Although haven't gotten to rip any faces yet, still in the prison though so maybe that comes soon?)

He doesn't have innate pickpocket, and undead were supposed to have innate lockpicking. Fane doesnt, although player undead might (haven't looked). He takes damage from healing spells, and can walk through poison, or heal from it. That's basically the zombie talent, which means you're undead. As far as faceripping goes:
kind of pointless. By the time you're a decent enough level to get the required item to rip faces, you can simply get the completed mask from a simple enemey encounter.

MikeBison

He doesn't have innate pickpocket, and undead were supposed to have innate lockpicking. Fane doesnt, although player undead might (haven't looked). He takes damage from healing spells, and can walk through poison, or heal from it. That's basically the zombie talent, which means you're undead. As far as faceripping goes:
kind of pointless. By the time you're a decent enough level to get the required item to rip faces, you can simply get the completed mask from a simple enemey encounter.

Huh. I just used his bony finger to unlock a door. Ok, knew about the other stuff. Super enjoying the game though. So much attention to detail.

carlsojo

Playing Fane, he has innate lockpicking with his bony fingers.

Man, I didn't expect to constantly be able to switch between races as Fane. Overwhelming.

Do any of the companions have pet pal by default or should it be my first unlock?

Anyone playing with a gamepad? How is it?

Here's my first impressions that I posted yesterday:
I use DS4 and it's perfect so far, just like in the previous game.

Here's the control scheme I took earlier:

BB1F447D652E252DC45AA3039C8A794E687644A8

I'm 2 meters away from a 43" TV and I feel like the texts (especially dialogues) are quite big.

Yeah, you can either use DS4Windows or Steam DS4 support via big picture mode for the controller to work.

You can also choose the button icons between xbox or dualshock buttons in the option.

Also, looting stuff are faster than mouse because you don't have to point your mouse over the loot to pick them up. You can either loot them one by one or loot them all with a button press. There's 'hold X to search area' to automatically move your character to find and loot stuff around him/her. Other than that, there's also a button to display all items on the ground if you want to pick them up manually. It's also pretty simple in battle as you can press R1/L1 to choose between your target. But choosing skills in the hotbar is quite a drag sometimes.

Man, I didn't expect to constantly be able to switch between races as Fane. Overwhelming.

Do any of the companions have pet pal by default or should it be my first unlock?

Wayfarer has Pet Pal. So by default Ifan will have it. You can also change anyone's class to Wayfarer if you're not a fan of Ifan.

Quonny

Early game protip: do not dismiss a companion after
escaping Fort Joy
until you have found the
Seeker Hideout
. That's where they go after you dismiss them, even if you haven't found it yet.

Moff

Not feeling the combat at all.

The original's combat was fine. It didn't need this armor bullshit.

It's basically "That Thing You Want To Do Won't Work(tm): The System".

agree, combat is not fun for me at all, it's just annoying here. OS1 had hands down the best turn based combat I had ever seen, so much fun.

apart from that I am not impressed with the game either. I remember act 1 of OS1 being a blast, so many interesting quests and ways to interact with the environment, which reminded me a lot of ultima VII. OS2 feels a lot more conventional than that.

Been having an absolute blast so far. Is there somewhere to buy necromancer spells in the fort? I've found a lot of people that sell the other schools, but haven't come across any necromancy yet.

Stiler

Man, there's a certain depth in how open and deep some of the quests and possibilities are in this game that is lacking from many other rpgs.

Really getting into it now.

One thing I really wish they'd add is the ability to tilt the camera up/down on your own, when you have it zoomed in a bit it's pointing down way too much, it'd be nice to be able to go a bit third-personish when you want, like in Dragon Age: Origins.

I remember act 1 of OS1 being a blast, so many interesting quests and ways to interact with the environment, which reminded me a lot of ultima VII. OS2 feels a lot more conventional than that.

How so? I don't see anything lacking here that wasn't present in OS1 and quests and environmental actions seem to be the same as well. There isn't a whole lot of new that I've encountered, either, but given the extreme reactivity of OS1 that isn't surprising.

Just the sheer number of ways you can get into the castle dungeons is pretty mind boggling.

Burt

There's a second pyro book seller with the
Seekers, southern end of the map in Amadia's place -- Samadel

Not sure about the second aerothurge though

Wait wait. Just saw the bit about a more mature storyline in the OP.

I liked the first one, but when the enemies got goofy, the game lost me entirely. Are you telling me they grounded (for lack of a better term) the game and its lore more?

If so, going to look at getting this for the weekend.

From what i've seen so far, it's way darker and serious than the first one.

Ryzaki009

Well yep this game is definitely darker than the first one.

Yikes at act 2.

I like the balance though. The game knows when to laugh at itself and when to gross me out. It's a balance that's pretty nice.

Top Bottom