• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

bati

Summons can be buffed but they have special summoning spells that give them different buffs (mostly different abilities. So far I've seen ranged attacks with magical armor, physical attacks with physical armor and a stealth summon that allows them to use cloak and I make their opponents bleed with a special) so you're better off saving those spells for your party unless the summon's tanking (and they're great at tanking once they become champions.)

Cheers. Do you know what those spells scale with? So far I've only seen one on the character creation, I think it was for Incarnate and scaled with INT.

Also, am I the only one playing with the gamepad? It actually seems more convenient because of aoe loot and not picking up items by accident when you're unsure if default action is pick up or open.

Lucifon

My game doesn't appear to be autosaving. Last autosave was 1hr10 mins ago, does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Feel like I'm going to get screwed over here if I don't fix it.

Also having problems with cloud saves, I fired up the game on my laptop and it only had the very first 2 saves ever made despite playing for hours after this point.

I was thinking of going support (no clue if my own summons can be buffed) but I'm also undead (Fane) so maybe I'll dip in Geo for the poison and then water magic (?) for the heals and stuff. Is constitution worth putting points into? Memory seems appealing for a summoner/support but I'm unsure about the secondary stat.

Well Con is a stat dump, if you don't need the other stats you could get Con. Memory is nice until you have enough slots, past that it's useless and since you get some slots every other level or so, you don't want to dump too many points into it either. Wits is nice to detect secrets/traps and have more initiative, don't need to increase to the max either. Probably something like +1wits/+1con, +1wits/+1memory alternating, with int thrown in every now and then and stop memory once you have say 15-20 or so slots, maybe less not sure.

Also one advantage of having 1/2 in other magic schools is you can make incarnate element change spellbooks by crafting them(or can find them I guess too). The 1pt do normal element changes like if you summoned the incarnate on that surface(good if you want to change element mid fight without resummoning), but when you have 2/2 in summoning+magic school books, they change them into improved version which gives them additional skills.

Oh and since you posted again, the reason you go these meh stats is cause int doesn't do anything for summons. They only scale on summoning and your level, so summoners don't need any damage stats, so you can go for whatever else instead. For an actual caster you'd want to get as much int as possible instead but not for summoners.

So is there re-speccing?

In Act2.

My game doesn't appear to be autosaving. Last autosave was 1hr10 mins ago, does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Feel like I'm going to get screwed over here if I don't fix it.

Also having problems with cloud saves, I fired up the game on my laptop and it only had the very first 2 saves ever made despite playing for hours after this point.

Autosaves are only like checkpoint saves, when you enter certain areas it'll autosave there, but it doesn't autosave based on time spent. Use quicksaves, increase the amount to 25 of them so you can go back a fair amount of time even if you mess up. And do normal saves every 1-2hours or so, that's what I do at least. As for cloud saving, might be steam issues, I never rely on it. You have all your saves in your documents folder so you can just copy that.

Ryzaki009

Cheers. Do you know what those spells scale with? So far I've only seen one on the character creation, I think it was for Incarnate and scaled with INT.

Also, am I the only one playing with the gamepad? It actually seems more convenient because of aoe loot and not picking up items by accident when you're unsure if default action is pick up or open.

I think they scale with level and summoning skill.

I did and seriously with all the available items that people can carry, you could just build a raft and leave the island since surveillance is so bad, lol
So I really don't have that feeling "you can't leave" at all, only the monsters quests are a threat not the magisters, imo xD

Pretty sure you can find the remains of someone that tried to leave on a raft only to be killed by the reefs. Plus one of the first areas you see after escaping is a huge ship graveyard.

Lucifon

Autosaves are only like checkpoint saves, when you enter certain areas it'll autosave there, but it doesn't autosave based on time spent. Use quicksaves, increase the amount to 25 of them so you can go back a fair amount of time even if you mess up. And do normal saves every 1-2hours or so, that's what I do at least. As for cloud saving, might be steam issues, I never rely on it. You have all your saves in your documents folder so you can just copy that.

That seems...stupid. There's so many unexpected combat situations etc where you can get completely and utterly screwed over of alot of time.

MrCinos

Decided to reroll because my inner optimizer kept screaming more and more.

I basically swapped myself (Ilfan) with Beast and here's my soon-to-be-realized lvl 3 QoL party:

MC Ilfan - 1h+shield Fighter = Warfare+Geo (All Skilled Up and Lucky Charm 3 at level 3 for easy money-making)
Beast - Dual-wield Shadowblade = Scoundrel+Poly (All Skilled Up and Thievery 3 at level 3 for easy money-making)
Fane - Conjurer (has Pet Pal!) = Summon+Pyro (Persuasion) - getting early Haste is really good
Lohse - Enchanter = Aero+Hydro (Loremaster)

Got all of them at level 1 so that I could lvl up them as I see fit from the beginning. I don't plan to open a single container before I hit level 3, after that I'll go through everything with my Lucky Charm 3.

With Lucky Charm 1 at the beginning I've got 120+ gold from one of the barrels on the ship already. Grenades, arrows and scrolls are becoming even more common. Already loving it at 1, lol.

Dark_castle

I'm enjoying the game, but I can't help but be overwhelmed by it, which was the main reason I didn't get too far in the first game. But I do really liked the opening segment setpiece quite a bit.

The elf chicks bloodlust is actually paying off so far I got a sweet named sword off on Lizard and a quest item off the other. And then I was running around and I found a named sword on a mountaintop in the first part of act 1.

Jag

The elf chicks bloodlust is actually paying off so far I got a sweet named sword off on Lizard and a quest item off the other. And then I was running around and I found a named sword on a mountaintop in the first part of act 1.

Of course that was a Pyro vendor that she killed. Now I can't get any pyro books.

Decided to reroll because my inner optimizer kept screaming more and more.

I basically swapped myself (Ilfan) with Beast and here's my soon-to-be-realized lvl 3 QoL party:

MC Ilfan - 1h+shield Fighter = Warfare+Geo (All Skilled Up and Lucky Charm 3 at level 3 for easy money-making)
Beast - Dual-wield Shadowblade = Scoundrel+Poly (All Skilled Up and Thievery 3 at level 3 for easy money-making)
Fane - Conjurer (has Pet Pal!) = Summon+Pyro (Persuasion) - getting early Haste is really good
Lohse - Enchanter = Aero+Hydro (Loremaster)

Got all of them at level 1 so that I could lvl up them as I see fit from the beginning. I don't plan to open a single container before I hit level 3, after that I'll go through everything with my Lucky Charm 3.

With Lucky Charm 1 at the beginning I've got 120+ gold from one of the barrels on the ship already. Grenades, arrows and scrolls are becoming even more common. Already loving it at 1, lol.

Lucky Charm helps a bit but it's not THAT big imo due to the super low proc rate. Pickpocket is a lot more money. Bartering and/or Persuasion also feels like more overall, you get like 10% more money out of everything you sell and what not. Mostly I've gotten it cause rare items and stuff are nice, and also because there's no real point in getting the other stuff on multiple chars.

I have one char with Loremaster for ID/examine, one with Thievery for pickpocket/lockpick, one with Persuasion and later Bartering(has 2 atm, 1 from human and 1 from an item) since Persuasion works on other stuff than just money and last one is Lucky Charm because nothing else. Telekinesis is pretty garbo especially with the new Aero spell that picks up all items in an area and Teleport to move chests although I guess for cheesing it's nice, Sneaking hasn't been useful so far and I think I'll drop the 1pt I have in it once I hit act 2, the only time I sneak I just split my team and talk to all the NPCs to make them turn away while I pickpocket.

Doc_Drop

Ok, just about to leave fort joy and now Ifan has disappeared. I dismissed him and now I can't find him. Doesn't seem to be in his normal spot

Trickster

Is there any major consequences if you are discovered to have stolen something? Or are you just forced into a fight and once that's over there's nothing more to it?

Gothos

Encountered my first "Larian, are you retarded?" moment. The fight
on ship right after Act 1 is just stupid. Trying for the 3rd time now...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Don't have the game yet but I seen a lot of frustration over some armor system? What's up with that?

Everyone has armor that has to be reduced before status effects happen. It just adds an extra layer of strategy to the fights, you can't just immediately trivialize encounters by nailing people with environmental stuff.

It's a genuinely great system, it really elevates the combat to another level from what was in the first game.

Don't have the game yet but I seen a lot of frustration over some armor system? What's up with that?

They are two additional HP pools essentially, one for magic one for physical. While they're up, you and your enemies can't be hit with status effects of the corresponding type like shock, freeze (magic), knockdown, or petrify (phys) etc.

If I'm being spicy, the frustration is coming from people who are used to just CC'ing every fight and expecting to coast to victory as happens in many cRPGs, including the first game. If I'm being lenient, it puts too much an emphasis on stacking either phys damage in your party or magic damage (and punishing you if you mix it up) and makes you brute force your way to victory instead of letting you choose

Taruranto

Man, Tactician mode is tough. I wanted to start at hard mode since I'm already familiar with the ruleset, but the enemies are stomping me. This feels harder than DOS1, way less places to exp and getting spells/money is harder.

It doesn't help that I picked Ignition instead of Searing Daggers, so my mage is basically useless.

Carcetti

Man, Tactician mode is tough. I wanted to start at hard mode since I'm already familiar with the ruleset, but the enemies are stomping me. This feels harder than DOS1, way less places to exp and getting spells/money is harder.

It doesn't help that I picked Ignition instead of Searing Daggers, so my mage is basically useless.

Can you tune down the difficulty later if the mode is stomping you? Would be pretty rough to have to start all over otherwise.

Burt

Can you tune down the difficulty later if the mode is stomping you? Would be pretty rough to have to start all over otherwise.
Yeah, even mid battle. I got auto saved into a battle start that was two levels above me one time with my closest save like 45 minutes back, so thank god for that.

Vamphuntr

Encountered my first "Larian, are you retarded?" moment. The fight
on ship right after Act 1 is just stupid. Trying for the 3rd time now...

I cheesed this one by teleporting everyone near the character you must protect. Otherwise it's pretty much impossible.

I feel the AI has much more AP than you do. They can walk across the whole map and still attack you twice while you can walk three feet in front of you and expand most of your AP,

You can only change difficulty on classic/explorer(normal/easy), on tactician you can't change it. Might be able to edit saves or what not, but otherwise have to restart.

Honestly I find the difficulty on classic to be decent enough that it's not much of an issue. Lategame might become too easy but not sure, unlike the first game you don't have AP increasing over time so you don't end up being able to take 6-8actions per turn which is what really broke lategame(that and bad crafting balancing and overpowered CC, all of which seems fixed in this).

justjim89

Ugh. Is
Butters
the only merchant in the first area who sells tactical retreat? I already wiped out
Griff's gang
and now Ifan seems pretty useless compared to enemy archers.

Ugh. Is
Butters
the only merchant in the first area who sells tactical retreat? I already wiped out
Griff's gang
and now Ifan seems pretty useless compared to enemy archers.

Once you get out of Fort Joy and into the next town, there's a Huntsman vendor there. Can get there pretty early if you rush it, but yeah there's only one vendor for each in Fort Joy(and one of each in the next area and in general that's how it is everywhere). Can get 2pt poly and get wings, it's pretty nice for moving around once the place you moved to has been bombed by mages.

Just trying some Scoundrel skills, Ruptured Tendons is a lot better than what I thought it was going to be. I expected it to basically do a second "hit" if the enemy moved, but instead it does some kind of bleed based on movement(think Bloodseeker ultimate in dota, Rupture). I used it on a melee monster that was far away from my team and used Chameleon to hide to end my turn, the monster ran its max AP with ruptured tendons and lost 160hp and died lol. I can see that combo being pretty strong as an opener with cloak and dagger and tactical retreat opener to get in position on first turn.

On the other hand it means I'm gonna have to get another memory slot on my rogue, I have too much stuff.

They are two additional HP pools essentially, one for magic one for physical. While they're up, you and your enemies can't be hit with status effects of the corresponding type like shock, freeze (magic), knockdown, or petrify (phys) etc.

If I'm being spicy, the frustration is coming from people who are used to just CC'ing every fight and expecting to coast to victory as happens in many cRPGs, including the first game. If I'm being lenient, it puts too much an emphasis on stacking either phys damage in your party or magic damage (and punishing you if you mix it up) and makes you brute force your way to victory instead of letting you choose

Everyone has armor that has to be reduced before status effects happen. It just adds an extra layer of strategy to the fights, you can't just immediately trivialize encounters by nailing people with environmental stuff.

It's a genuinely great system, it really elevates the combat to another level from what was in the first game.

See, that's what I thought. Just people mad they couldn't meteorstorm or hailstorm their way through encounters.

I am worried about the physical/magical specialization of party comps though.

Xater

This game is tough, but I am finally out of Fort Joy. And by tough I don't just mean the combat, sometimes you just have to find the right way. There are just places you can't go to starting out.

Risev1

So I'm about 6 hours in. I'm playing on classic difficulty, and while I love it, battles are absolutely exhausting. I'm not very experienced with CRPG's and the party micromanagement that you get into, so this is really difficult stuff. Getting through a full battle without losing someone and having to use a rez scroll which currently cost waaaay too much is a daunting task. Just one fight against 3 frogs yesterday took me legitimately over 1 hour trying to get through it without losing any party member.

So, what I'm trying to say is that I really am enjoying this game, but I'm finding it hard to start it up again knowing the next battle it going to be more difficult. I've thought about just turning it down to the easiest difficulty, but I'm afraid that'll be defeating the entire purpose of playing the game, and I'd end up being really bored. Damn am I really inexperienced with this sort of game.

Trickster

I just examined a dead person, and there's a notification that says one of my party members is sharing lore with me, but as far as i can tell, nothing happens?

I just examined a dead person, and there's a notification that says one of my party members is sharing lore with me, but as far as i can tell, nothing happens?

Lorekeeping reveals more info when examining a unit, I'd imagine it's related to that.

Might be less pertinent for a corpse, but in battle it can reveal abilities, resistances, and traits, for instance.

Burt

Act 2
Fish Factory
Question

Anyone know what barrel Lohan or whatever is hiding in? I got the dwarf to tel me he's hiding in a barrel, but I can't find it.

AlanOC91

When using a spell (summoning) and I see the range I can cast, there are green pluses at the edge of the radius. What do they mean?

justjim89

Once you get out of Fort Joy and into the next town, there's a Huntsman vendor there. Can get there pretty early if you rush it, but yeah there's only one vendor for each in Fort Joy(and one of each in the next area and in general that's how it is everywhere). Can get 2pt poly and get wings, it's pretty nice for moving around once the place you moved to has been bombed by mages.

I have him as his default class, with geo magic and huntsman. So he has no good way to get to the higher ground quick like other archers. Immensely frustrating and makes him feel kinda pointless since his range isn't great and he's so easily outmaneuvered.

It feels like the enemies in the game break the rules of combat moreso than in the first game. I'm trying the arena challenge at level 3, and the mage will use the same spell multiple times within the same turn, or on back to back turns with no cooldown. And my characters are getting their armor bypassed in one turn, though it probably doesn't help that none of them have full armor. It doesn't seem like there's enough in the first area to cover 4 party members, even with stealing and quest rewards.

It's bullshit you can only pickpocket characters once and it never resets. Hopefully a mod will come out to fix that.

My party is:
-Custom undead human shadowblade: scoundrel, poly
-Red Prince: fighter w/ shield
-Ifan: huntsman, geo magic
-Lohse: hydro, aero

JMY86

I'm at work for a few hours today and I am thinking of restarting. I feel like I could be getting more out of Sebille than I am. I have 1 point in Scoundrel 1 point in Poly for Chameleon Cloak and 1 point in Pyro for Haste plus Backlash, Throwing Knife and Chloroform. She is doing OK but my EA Rogue was absolutely demolishing everything. I don't currently have access to any level 4 talents due to a small fracas in the Fort Joy kitchen because Sebille ain't no snitch. I have escaped Fort Joy but still have several encounters to finish inside. I am several hours in but not far enough to not turn back. Thoughts?

Mudo

I'd go just finesse. Int isn't that needed for a necro as he also gets damage bonus from warfare. So finesse for attributes and for skill lines scoundrel + warfare + necro. From necro skills I'd take at least Death Wish. It goes really well with damage dealers. The damage boost is massive. I use it on my ranger and she just wrecks with it.

Sounds awesome thanks for the tips! Just like that, I'm already less stressed out lol

Ended up restarting the game with tad better idea of what to do.

Going for
  1. Fighter
  2. Rogue
  3. Wizard
  4. ?
party composition. Can't decide between Enchanter and Conjurer. On paper Enchanter sounds like decent fit as it's buffer and debuffer class.

Suggestions? :)

make up one that is all 3 of the ones you have ;p

Top Bottom