• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

justjim89

I'm also curious about other content in the arena. It says something about battling one of my comrades, but it doesn't give me the option.

I'm having trouble getting started because I don't know how to build the party role-playing wise. I was going to be a goody-two-shoes cleric but all the recruitable origin characters don't seem to mesh with that whatsoever. Everyone either cares nothing for others or has murder as N origin objective. I get attitude loss even from the start on the boat. I hear you can just recruit random Joe's, but then you completely miss out on those storylines. Thinking I'll restart as a more neutral character, unless folks further in the game can spoiler-free explain how these characters work out.

Lanrutcon

Fort Joy's seen a sudden shift in leadership.

R7QVdXU.jpg

Skar

I've played a bit of the first one. The dungeon master mode looks quite intriguing. If it's really well implemented like with whole new user created world's and stuff I think this game might take off in a really big way.

Sanctuary

See it the other way, you could have made a full magic party and get the same result. Because early on enemies have balanced armor of both types, otherwise that would influence your build (and this is the only way they could and should have done that) and this is a game where you're supposed to do wtf you want.
Of course you can then decide to focus on taking out one armor type and build your team in consequence.

Nah, because physical damage dealers do a lot more damage per attack than casters do. The difference in the early to mid levels is massive. Right now the best spells are those that don't have armor restrictions, and those are the kinds of spells that can be put to good use by physical damage dealers...

But in any case I agree with a post above, having 4 characters attack a single enemy is a bad tactic :p

No it isn't. Ever play an RTS? The AI in this game loves to do that as much as possible too. Regardless, right now the system seems to be very devisive. A whole lot of people are ranting about it on the Steam forum too.

Manac0r

Just wow... so glad I held out for release day. Have just spent the last 6 hours having one of the best adventures in a long time. This is scratching an itch I never knew I had.

Love the tone and the writing, at least what I have experienced, is half decent.

I only ever put an hour into the first one, do you think it would be worth a play through after this? Or has the second spoilt me in terms of quality?

Love the little random side quests that you oraganically fall into.

Tareskog

Welp.
Can't leave the island. Final boss is just too damn difficult. I've been smashing my head at him for 2 hours now and I am just not making any progress. I can't revive, they get mutilated immediately. I can't single out people, gives the rest easy targets to my more vulnerable party members. Nothing is working.

My exact reason for lowering the difficulty to explorer mode. I have 2 days a week where I have time to play games. Don´t want to waste half of that time struggling with fights. I remember spending an hour on "simpler" fights in Original Sin 1 and it was great, but unfortunately I don´t have that kinda time any more. Still love the game.

Anfang

So I have Lohse, Red, Fane and Seb in my party. I just got out of the fort and would like to drop Fane. Where can I find the other origins at?

Manac0r

My exact reason for lowering the difficulty to explorer mode. I have 2 days a week where I have time to play games. Don´t want to waste half of that time struggling with fights. I remember spending an hour on "simpler" fights in Original Sin 1 and it was great, but unfortunately I don´t have that kinda time any more. Still love the game.

You make a great point.. my gaming is weekends only now so I may drop down to explorer too... I was enjoying the challenge but am wary of hitting any time blockades.

Zesh

Which talents are people taking? I'm having a tough time figuring out which ones are good. Is The Pawn generally better than Executioner?

Genryu

Banned
Which talents are people taking? I'm having a tough time figuring out which ones are good. Is The Pawn generally better than Executioner?

Executioner used to be busted when you got +2 AP for EVERY kill during a turn instead of just the first one, but I'm still finding it pretty useful.

anyone know what the Atrophy effect does?

Atrophy makes it so the afflicted character can't attack with their weapon or use any skills requiring the weapon.
It's the Melee version of Silence.

Executioner used to be busted when you got +2 AP for EVERY kill during a turn instead of just the first one, but I'm still finding it pretty useful.

Atrophy makes it so the afflicted character can't attack with their weapon or use any skills requiring the weapon.
It's the Melee version of Silence.

k k

How easy is it to make garbage or unwinnable party combinations? Reading through this thread before starting a character is confusing as hell.

Play on Explorer, make whatever party you want. It's not so easy that you'll stroll through fights but you will be able to win with pretty much any combination of classes.

I have Executioner on my Inquisitor and Pawn on my Rogue. That's a great combo I think because my rogue sneaks around picking off ranged, but my inq charges in and fights the big guys.

Think about what is best for that character

MikeBison

Dropped Red Prince for Loshe before setting about to leave Fort Joy. Enjoying her much more. Prefer her character and her standard skills are way more fun.

Leetums

So stuck haha, i wound up using (minor spoilers about the first hour or so of the game )
the teleport gloves to teleport my entire team outside of fort joy, un-noticed. I would teleport 3 people, then switch the gloves to someone else, and teleport the last guy, etc, did this for about 15 minutes and got everyone on the other side. But now i cant beat the fights in the marsh, and all i do is get attacked as soon as i port back into fort joy. I think i might need to restart?

Lanrutcon

So stuck haha, i wound up using (minor spoilers about the first hour or so of the game )
the teleport gloves to teleport my entire team outside of fort joy, un-noticed. I would teleport 3 people, then switch the gloves to someone else, and teleport the last guy, etc, did this for about 15 minutes and got everyone on the other side. But now i cant beat the fights in the marsh, and all i do is get attacked as soon as i port back into fort joy. I think i might need to restart?

Use your stealth dude to go find a teleport point outside the city. Just stealth/invisibility passed everything.

i assume you took your collar off? if so you ain't going back without fighting

I'm at work for a few hours today and I am thinking of restarting. I feel like I could be getting more out of Sebille than I am. I have 1 point in Scoundrel 1 point in Poly for Chameleon Cloak and 1 point in Pyro for Haste plus Backlash, Throwing Knife and Chloroform. She is doing OK but my EA Rogue was absolutely demolishing everything. I don't currently have access to any level 4 talents due to a small fracas in the Fort Joy kitchen because Sebille ain't no snitch. I have escaped Fort Joy but still have several encounters to finish inside. I am several hours in but not far enough to not turn back. Thoughts?

They nerfed rogues a decent bit but mine owns now. Forget about Throwing Knife it's basically garbage now, and Chloroform is only slightly useful I find versus just attacking again and killing them. I use Chicken Claw instead if I want to CC since it's a phys roll and lasts 2turns(the chicken runs away too which is good quite often). The lvl 2 scoundrel skills you get are pretty nice though especially Sawtooth that does good damage.

What I do is I buff haste with one of my mage instead, I generally open the fight with my high wits support mage with the aoe magic armor over turn thing, encourage(+1 all stats human racial), Haste on Sebille and Clear Mind on Sebille too if I don't have anything better(gives her one more finesse and 3wits, gives her a bit better initiative since she has 0 otherwise).

Then on Sebille turn, I move closer(0AP movement with The Pawn, with Haste and Scoundrel speed I can move the equivalent of like almost 3AP on my mages for free), Flesh Sacrifice(go to 6AP), Backlash on something, the spam some backstabs with Adrenaline if one more hit is enough to kill(otherwise I don't use it and just wait next turn) and with the left over AP I either chameleon, cast wings for next turn movement or use Flurry on last attack instead of a normal backstab if I need just a bit more dmg.

She kills archers/mages in one turn most of the time so far. It wasn't really the case at the early levels though because of bad weapons, as soon as I got decent weapons(one of the boss drops a couple of unique daggers) she became my main source of damage. The 3 others pale in comparison to her damage output in general situations(although teleporting 2 idiots on top of another then doing Impale > Fireball will beat it but it creates a huge mess and requires 2 turns setup with both my mages and stuff, it's great fun though).

Leetums

i assume you took your collar off? if so you ain't going back without fighting

Nope, collar still on. I think im just going to restart. Also, another question. Is there no global chat server anymore? It just tells me "global chat server has been disconnected " It was good to get in the chat and be able to find people to play with. All the multiplayer games ive joined at of people trying to play with their friends and i get asked to leave.

Sanctuary

dam that 95% accuracy and missing someone knocked down

How about someone standing up right after you knock them down, even when it's not their turn yet?

Also, it's probably already been stated, but get your Wits up. It's far more important than pumping up your primary stat as high as it will go. Get it to 12 - 13 early on. It makes a huge difference, since most of the fights are "Haha fuck you" ambush fights and the enemies typically all go first (aside from Ifran).

Shahadan

Getting my ass handed to me by Griff, frogs, everyone.

For Griff you can actually do something
I was using Ifan, I don't know if it's possible with someone else, but you can hit on Butter, the girl above him, and she will help you in the battle.
Otherwise, before starting the fight, simply unlink one or two characters and make them talk to the other npcs, they will not participate in the battle until you break the dialog

Edit: you can also heal the elf in the cage beforehand and lockpick it or teleport him outside, he will aid you as well, but remember to prevent him from dying

Massicot

So I encountered
Windego
on the beach and didn't really have much of a say and killed her. Is there a better outcome I should strive for there?

Quick question about this game, does it have the same camera setup as the first one? I got really annoyed by the dynamic camera in the first game, because outside of certain scenes where it zoomed out a lot, it always seemed so zoomed in that it was uncomfortable.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Quick question about this game, does it have the same camera setup as the first one? I got really annoyed by the dynamic camera in the first game, because outside of certain scenes where it zoomed out a lot, it always seemed so zoomed in that it was uncomfortable.

Same camera.

Massicot

There's a specific companion that engages with her.

Ah all right, I've mostly been just using the first 3 companions I've found. I guess I'll start swapping them out.

Edit: Also I am getting a lot of quests stuck in my log. For instance, I've done the oranges/Griff quest with the imprisoned Elf, but since I recently talked to a rat that told me a nearby lizard smelled like oranges, the log acts like it hasn't progressed past that point.

Also I got a key for the "Beast" quest but I'm not sure if I already opened the door or not. Quest log seems to think I haven't. Hope it isn't stalled.

Man the story in this gets super interesting, and it's superbly written. I'm dying to see what it's like for other characters--this is partly because it feels remarkably personalised playing as Fane, such that I can't imagine it as anyone else. Bravo, Larian.

Really curious to see where it goes.
Getting my ass handed to me by Griff, frogs, everyone.

I have the answer.
...Ok, I didn't actually use it. But I've no doubt it's the answer.

Top Bottom