• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Trickster

Anyone that can explain the Fort Joy
arena
to me? I did the first fight, and now I can't do anymore there as far as I can tell

Sarcasm

Anyone that can explain the Fort Joy
arena
to me? I did the first fight, and now I can't do anymore there as far as I can tell

If you won you can remove your collar by someone in the area above.

If you are playing online you can duel each other.

Trickster

If you won you can remove your collar by someone in the area above.

If you are playing online you can duel each other.

Aha, that's been my source of confusion, the speech option for it still appears even if you play solo, so I figured I was doing something wrong

As for the spoilered part, is that only for the main character, or your compaions as well ?

Mothman91

Aha, that's been my source of confusion, the speech option for it still appears even if you play solo, so I figured I was doing something wrong

As for the spoilered part, is that only for the main character, or your compaions as well ?
Playing the game with 3 others, only the main one who finished the quest. Rest of us was able to a little more down the line at another camp.

Yeah, the chicken spell sounds good on paper, but it's not actually useful in battles.

Placing rupture on an enemy (which causes pierce damage when they move) followed by chicken = dead enemy. Those chickens run really, really far.

My solution? Start with D:OS EH on PS4 and work my way back into D:OS2. I'm already loving the PS4 controller rather than K&M, and everything just seems less chaotic. I feel like this is a series I could love (that doesn't suffer from 90's era graphics/movement like POE), so i'll try and chip away over the next few nights and actually commit.

FWIW, OS2 has the same controller interface so you can still use it when you get back to it.

I found the first game abundant with this stuff and so far the beach and Fort Joy hasn't had much of this. I'm hoping people didn't tell Larian to get rid of their intricate trap design! I loved finding buttons behind paintings and keys under flowerpots too.

There's actually a key hidden under a box on the ship right at the beginning of the game.

And, yeah, I love that stuff too. It's that Ultima influence coming through. They did the same stuff in Divine Divinity.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The more I think about this game, the more I feel like the Original Sin series is really an evolution of the cRPG genre. Most cRPGs, even the newer batch are very static. Your interactions with the world is basically only through combat and dialogue boxes (which is fine btw.).
Original Sin (both games), meanwhile, feels much more organic, simply by the way it let's you manipulate the environment even outside of battles. You can use so many spells to get around problems (or create them) it's super refreshing. In some way it feels like somebody turned Gothic 2 games into a cRPG.

There are some odd choices in Original Sin 2 (some sidequests feel kinda incomplete like
the one where you have to look for the friend of the Dog
) but otherwise I'm so much into the game, it kinda hurts. I'm already planning my second playthrough after only 8ish hours in.

A-V-B

Trying to play this game and realizing just how important the right team chemistry is. If you aren't filling rolls to a tee and optimizing like a maniac, you're gonna get wrecked because by many enemy parties that do.

Also, am I seeing things or do enemies have no cooldowns on abilities?

The more I think about this game, the more I feel like the Original Sin series is really an evolution of the cRPG genre. Most cRPGs, even the newer batch are very static. Your interactions with the world is basically only through combat and dialogue boxes (which is fine btw.).
Original Sin (both games), meanwhile, feels much more organic, simply by the way it let's you manipulate the environment even outside of battles. You can use so many spells to get around problems (or create them) it's super refreshing. In some way it feels like somebody turned Gothic 2 games into a cRPG.

Uh...the Gothic games *are* CRPGs.

But, yeah, I wish more devs had gone down this path. I know I'm a broken record but its the Ultima series that started these type of interactions and Larian are huge fans of Ultima.

There was a time when I thought Bethesda would pick up that baton but their world interaction stuff hasn't progressed at all beyond what they put in Oblivion.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Trying to play this game and realizing just how important the right team chemistry is. If you aren't filling rolls to a tee and optimizing like a maniac, you're gonna get wrecked because by many enemy parties that do.

I kinda disagree that you need to optimize that much. Pretty much every character in my party hse at least some points in magic, even the tank. Not sure if you meant that tho.

I'm pretty certain they do have cooldowns.

Uh...the Gothic games *are* CRPGs.

Probably depends on one's definition of cRPG. To me it always meant party based and stats heavy games with cooldowns and class abilities. Also probably with a top-down view. Might not be the "official" definition tho.

From what I've heard from people using the editor, enemies play by the same rules players do in combat. They can have different talents and skills like we can though, so they might have an ability that refreshes their cooldowns. I know there is one in the polymorph tree.

valouris

I read somewhere that if I dismiss any companion while in
Fort Joy (before escaping)
they will disappear from my save altogether. Is this true? Do I have to decide from now which ones I want in my party for the rest of the game? I want to swap out the Red Prince and Ifan for Lohse and the Beast.

A-V-B

they will disappear from my save altogether. Is this true?

If you mean while you're still there, then nope, not for me! I dismissed a character, and then saw him chilling in a little camp later.

they will disappear from my save altogether. Is this true? Do I have to decide from now which ones I want in my party for the rest of the game? I want to swap out the Red Prince and Ifan for Lohse and the Beast.

No, they will return to their starting areas in the Fort Joy region. I've been swapping them around as I haven't escaped yet. I don't know how it works later.

So it looks like I just finished act 1. Easy GOTY for me so far. Takes the outstanding mechanics of DOS1 and improves them and adds a far more cohesive story with fantastic characters rivalling anthing obsidian could muster.

That final battle was something, did it pretty easy in the end with Sebille using adrenaline and flesh sacrifice to hit three full critical backstabs in one turn almost killing
the Bishop
in one go and then the
Worm finished him off!
. Thankfully the rest of the
magisters helped me with the worm first before I picked them off.

Also the source power Dome of Protection is pretty OP, just sit your party under it and laugh off most of the attacks.

So how many people talked down Migos instead of killing him? I loved that this was possible! Is there
Is there yarrow flower in multiple areas? I just found one so far.
And then I took the further steps of
reuniting him with his daughter.
I got the
Hero
tag. I wonder how often you can get this in the game?

I know this has been asked many times but now that everyone's sunk their teeth into the game and hopefully gotten far enough, I have a question. That's if people haven't been rerolling constantly!

Can I skip straight to DOS2? Or will I miss things like the finer details of the world, where they assume you're already knowledgeable about them/it from DOS1 or is it that far removed?

Thanks

Lanrutcon

That forced ship battle was terrible. They auto position your party, and I kept losing one member before I even got a chance to act. Very stupid.

Mature storyline
A much requested feature from feedback of the original game is less tongue-in-cheek and more grounded in reality storytelling.
As a result, Larian has stepped it up by making this world seem more believable with mature themes and tones.
Bleaker colour pallet, more gore, bigger and more powerful spells, social and political issues in-game and much more.

How well did they deliver on this? I wanted to love D:OS1 but the lame 'humor' kept turning me off. I don't require grimdark bleakness, but I just don't care for how goofball it was. It felt like a half-arse parody of the genre. Like it were trying to be CRPG's Munchkin, but gave up halfway towards that goal.

Burt

Two things that I have to ask if I'm the only one suffering from:

One, party members are having a really hard time pathing through harmful surfaces outside of combat. If there's oil in a hallway and I click through it, the person I'm controlling will go while everyone else stays on the far side of the oil. Then I have to juggle them all through one by one until everyone's across. Super annoying. Is there a setting to change this?

Two, the UI (and hotbar in particular) can be incredibly wonky in combat. Sometimes a turn will start with Attack toggled on, so I'll end up attacking a teammate instead of moving to their side. Button presses don't register frequently enough for me to be mad about the number of times I've clicked a skill and ended up running to an enemy instead of casting at them. Some self cast skills require you click on yourself, others don't, so I'm always iffy that I'm gonna press the wrong button at the wrong time, etc. There are a bunch of things like this, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to them. Am I doing something wrong, or are things just wonky at the moment?

Also, waypoint markers disappear from my map at random.

I know this has been asked many times but now that everyone's sunk their teeth into the game and hopefully gotten far enough, I have a question. That's if people haven't been rerolling constantly!

Can I skip straight to DOS2? Or will I miss things like the finer details of the world, where they assume you're already knowledgeable about them/it from DOS1 or is it that far removed?

Thanks

Storywise you can skip to D:OS 2. Gameplay wise if you haven't played the first, I wouldn't skip it. Its often harder to go back once you've played a sequel, and the first is absolutely amazing. 2 will still be here waiting.

Anoxida

How well did they deliver on this? I wanted to love D:OS1 but the lame 'humor' kept turning me off. I don't require grimdark bleakness, but I just don't care for how goofball it was. It felt like a half-arse parody of the genre. Like it were trying to be CRPG's Munchkin, but gave up halfway towards that goal.

Speaking only for act 1. There hasn't been much humor at all in the main quests. There are some npcs for sidequests and animals usually have some humor elements to them, but yeah I think it's WAY toned down so far. And from what we've heard act 2 gets much darker as well.

The game is definitely not as jokey and goofy as the first. It feels very noticeably different. There's still moments of lightness and the graphics are thankfully bright and colorful, but the tone of writing and story is much more serious. I think you'd be pleased with the difference.

Anoxida

First Act sorta feels like the White Orchard from Witcher 3.

It really does. I think they did a great job with act one honestly. It felt more rewarding to explore (because game literally rewards you with tons of good items if you look for them), writing and gameplay has been much better than act 1 in DOS1. DOS1 act 1 was both it's strength AND weakness depending whether you like being overwhelmed or not. Act 1 in this game ease new players in a lot better into the game without constraining you. It was great.

Tommyhawk

So how many people talked down Migos instead of killing him? I loved that this was possible! Is there
I got the
Hero

Also did that and felt pretty good afterwards.

It's also pretty awesome how you can save
Stingtail
and avoid fighting Griff by
just killing the assassin he sends after Stingtail

Speaking only for act 1. There hasn't been much humor at all in the main quests. There are some npcs for sidequests and animals usually have some humor elements to them, but yeah I think it's WAY toned down so far. And from what we've heard act 2 gets much darker as well.

The game is definitely not as jokey and goofy as the first. It feels very noticeably different. There's still moments of lightness and the graphics are thankfully bright and colorful, but the tone of writing and story is much more serious. I think you'd be pleased with the difference.

Good, glad to hear. I plan on giving D:OS1 another shot before I jump into 2, but if they toned down the slapstick then I'm really excited to get into 2. The DM mode I am especially interested in.

Rad-

I got the
Hero

You also get that tag if you
don't rat out that dreamer lizard and then kill Griff and his friends.

I got the
Hero

straight merk'd him
only saved him the 1st time in the Early Access version

there's a bunch of fights you can avoid i.e. the one from the pigs or slugs in Act 1

CSJ

So I'm at the end of Act 1 and you need to confirm your party..but out of the blue with no reason and no forewarning Sebille outright refuses to join. YOU'VE GOT ALL MY LOOT! Why......wuh.... urgh.

Guess I'll recruit another person I haven't spent the last two days on :/

Ryzaki009

So I'm at the end of Act 1 and you need to confirm your party..but out of the blue with no reason and no forewarning Sebille outright refuses to join. YOU'VE GOT ALL MY LOOT! Why......wuh.... urgh.

Guess I'll recruit another person I haven't spent the last two days on :/

Wait what? Did you do her quest because that seems odd.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Where are my other companions in act 2? I can only find the ones I dismiss that were already with me.

edit: nvm, I think I got it.

CSJ

There's another part after that. Talking to the
lizard vendor on the bridge after the fort, Zalasker(sp?).

Yeah he won't give anything, log shows the first quests didn't progress.
Oh well, not a big loss.

Edit: Actually seem it is a bit of a loss, I no longer have a rogue in my team that does crazy damage, ffs :(
Oh wait, Ifan is a ranged class similar I hope.

So, uh, there seems to be a bug in the buying screen. This may only happen in the console interface because it has a direct buy option instead of having to barter but I am frequently seeing zero gold deducted from my balance when making purchases.

Am I missing something here? Also, is there a sell all wares button in the console interface? I can't find it for the life of me.

Can someone give a dumbed down explanation of how to properly use a rogue like Sebille? I want to backstab and then vanish but I seem to leave her exposed to crossfire or she ends up taking more heat than my tank.

Can someone give a dumbed down explanation of how to properly use a rogue like Sebille? I want to backstab and then vanish but I seem to leave her exposed to crossfire or she ends up taking more heat than my tank.

Chameleon only takes one AP. So you can use the auto back stab ability or just manually position yourself. Just make sure that at the end of the turn you have at least 1 AP left and then you can turn invisible.

Jag

Just realized each character gets one shot to pickpocket. Not one per team. So that's 4 pickpockets per vendor. Huge difference for stealing skill books.

Top Bottom