• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Keasar

you dont need to win though. set her free and just flee the battle

Wont that set every Magister soldier to Enemy automatically? I wanna be able to walk around Driftwood without being constantly attacked by the guards.

Chaos17

Last night session: we killed everybody in the magisters HQ before escaping but game don't give a damn, no dialog updated with the villagers of the fort, lol. We ended up lvl 6

And we're getting very bored with the story because all you just spam is "I want to leave the island" yeah we get it since 20 hours ago, can we say anything else ? lol
Also in the first game in co-op the other players was able to particulate in the dialog more than here and it did a little matter since it could decide the outcome of the dialog but now ? Just from time to time the second player can voice his opinion but in the end only the person who started the dialog his choice would matter.

Last thing, the companions are way better than in the first game but again, they rarely participate in dialogs.

Wont that set every Magister soldier to Enemy automatically? I wanna be able to walk around Driftwood without being constantly attacked by the guards.
As long as you escape the fort, all magisters will know you're a fugitive and chase you = story check point.

Lanrutcon

Last night session: we killed everybody in the magisters HQ before escaping but game don't give a damn, no dialog updated with the villagers of the fort, lol. We ended up lvl 6

And we're getting very bored with the story because all you just spam is "I want to leave the island" yeah we get it since 20 hours ago, can we say anything else ? lol
Also in the first game in co-op the other players was able to particulate in the dialog more than here and it did a little matter since it could decide the outcome of the dialog but now ? Just from time to time the second player can voice his opinion but in the end only the person who started the dialog his choice would matter.

Last thing, the companions are way better than in the first game but again, they rarely participate in dialogs.

As long as you escape the fort, all magisters will know you're a fugitive and chase you = story check point.

No, he means in Driftwood, not Fort Joy. The second act.

I have the same question as him: if I leave the Executioner alive and just free the captive, do the town Magisters react to this at all?

No, he means in Driftwood, not Fort Joy. The second act.

I have the same question as him: if I leave the Executioner alive and just free the captive, do the town Magisters react to this at all?

There's a quest in Driftwood that'll allow you to free the Meistr without having Magisters on your ass. I never tried just freeing her without that benefit.

Yeah, the first act has world-state issue.
Everything is static, especially the NPCs. I mean, what's stopping them from fleeing the fort as there are no magisters left in the fort? They also don't react after I murdered the magisters in front of them. I understand that people may still want to go back to the fort to finish things up, but I think they should've locked Fort Joy after we escaped from there. But yeah, both methods has its own problem.

Lanrutcon

There's a quest in Driftwood that'll allow you to free the Meistr without having Magisters on your ass. I never tried just freeing her without that benefit.

Ah, ok. I think the game even warns you if you let her live that there will be consequences.

I just had a very good idea. Why don't I just get all my casters a bit of strength, a shield and some plate armor? It's not like they attack with their staves. I am a genius.

Aight so I finally have a list of Source Masters to look for aside from the two I killed (well one of the ones I killed was on that list), so that's makes 2 Source Masters left for me to find.
And one of them is fucking Jahan?!

Granted I never finished the first game but if this Jahan is the same character who was your party companion in the first game fucking hell
I want him to be my Source Master... and I should get back to the first game and finish it, one day.

One issue I've with Act 2 is quest rewards don't scale. I just completed the Shadows Over Driftwood questline that's west of the town but was receiving lvl 9 rewards when I was lvl 12-13, kinda sucked. So yeah, for all you just entering Act 2 in Driftwood, do the Shadows Over Driftwood questline first (after you do the small quests within the town itself) if you want proper equipment rewards.

Lanrutcon

Might want to spoiler tag some of that,
I had no idea he was in the game
and I'm a little bummed out I just saw this since I
ran with him the whole first game...

I am now SO curious to see what he achieved, given his...stance...on matters.

Might want to spoiler tag some of that,
I had no idea he was in the game
and I'm a little bummed out I just saw this since I
ran with him the whole first game...

Apologies. But I actually don't know if he is in the game or not. Just got a list of people and one of them has his name.

Man ever since I arrived in Driftwood I feel underlevel everywhere I go, somehow I still manage to win some battles against enemies 1-2 levels above me (Classic difficulty).

Keasar

There has to be one Magister, who saw all the Silent Monks and rationalised
"Okay, that's fair. They are Sourcerers who attracts Voidwoken beasts from the nether of hell that murders and slaughters everyone, this is cruel but at the same time so far the only safe way we can ensure that they pose no danger to the civilian population plus they can help protect people as silent guardians. And those Gheist things are probably just some sort of magical construct."

Then however Dallis comes out with her new invention of
Weaponised Monks
and this Magister HAS to consider:
8ubGFLt.gif

And either 90% of the Magisters go through this motion or they are just all straight up arseholes.

There has to be one Magister, who saw all the Silent Monks and rationalised
"Okay, that's fair. They are Sourcerers who attracts Voidwoken beasts from the nether of hell that murders and slaughters everyone, this is cruel but at the same time so far the only safe way we can ensure that they pose no danger to the civilian population plus they can help protect people as silent guardians. And those Gheist things are probably just some sort of magical construct."

Then however Dallis comes out with her new invention of
Weaponised Monks
and this Magister HAS to consider:
8ubGFLt.gif

And either 90% of the Magisters go through this motion or they are just all straight up arseholes.

Maybe they just killed everyone who spoke out against it.

Maximo

Man ever since I arrived in Driftwood I feel underlevel everywhere I go, somehow I still manage to win some battles against enemies 1-2 levels above me (Classic difficulty).

Soon as you hit a new area Gear/Spells make a huge difference, save up or steal from some of the vendors in Driftwood.

Rolled with a very standard human ranger as my PC. Did I make a mistake? All of the different magic classes looked so interesting - I'm worried that I'll be missing out if my PC just stands far away and slings arrows.

Anyone have any thoughts?

J4g3r

Wtf, did I accidentally just have sex with
Fane

Boned.

Rolled with a very standard human ranger as my PC. Did I make a mistake? All of the different magic classes looked so interesting - I'm worried that I'll be missing out if my PC just stands far away and slings arrows.

There's enough freedom in the game where you'll be able to take up a magic school on top of Huntsman.

Anything that synergizes with other magic members in your party would be my suggestion.

EDIT:

Also keep in mind all the different kinds of arrows you'll be getting down the line - Those are often as good when it comes to synergizing with the elements.

kromeo

You can assign the companion characters any role when they join, so I wouldn't worry too much

AndersK

I recommend everyone switch rapidly from Metamorph to Battlemage in the character creator. Makes the character bust out some sweet ass moves, yo.

Great thing about not being able to switch from tactician to classic: I get to to undo my mistakes as i restart.

Get pet talk. SERIOUSLY

Lanrutcon

You get a full respec at the end of chapter 1. I'm further along than that, and what I've learnt is that everyone needs a bit of both sides (physical/magic). You'll be fine. Crossbows are like cannons in this game.

Rad-

Crossbow ranger is one of the best damaging classes in the game. If you want him to be more diverse you can add some secondary stuff like summoning.

Reani

Crossbow ranger is one of the best damaging classes in the game. If you want him to be more diverse you can add some secondary stuff like summoning.
is there even a difference between crossbow and a bow? i know bow scales with finesse but like, other than that?

Rad-

is there even a difference between crossbow and a bow? i know bow scales with finesse but like, other than that?

Crossbow deals more damage but gets a penalty to movement. And because it deals more damage it's basically more efficient with all damage skills. Cast Death Wish (super underrated spell) on ranger and just watch him wreck people.

Reani

Crossbow deals more damage but gets a penalty to movement. And because it deals more damage it's basically more efficient with all damage skills. Cast Death Wish (super underrated spell) on ranger and just watch him wreck people.
i actually have 2 rangers in my party. movement penalty is laughable considering you have tactical retreat

how crossbow deals more damage, just more base stats?

Rad-

i actually have 2 rangers in my party. movement penalty is laughable considering you have tactical retreat

how crossbow deals more damage, just more base stats?

Yeah crossbows are easily better atm. The movement penalty really isn't much considering like you said the ranger should have plenty of mobility skills anyways.

Yes crossbow has higher base damage.

Anoxida

This is my GOTY. It's way better than the first one. Still wish talents and gear were more intetesting/complex but you cant have it all.

Venfayth

Reading through the thread here and people are still bad at spoiler tags.

To reiterate, this is how you DO NOT spoiler tag:

past you said:
Just fought
godzilla
. WOW, what a fight!

You should try to give some non-spoilery context so that people know roughly where you are. IE:

future you said:
A few hours in to Act 2. Just fought
mothman
and that was crazy!

Yeah crossbows are easily better atm. The movement penalty really isn't much considering like you said the ranger should have plenty of mobility skills anyways.

Yes crossbow has higher base damage.

In EA crossbows were 3AP to fire but it seems they're now 2AP when I checked, which sounds pretty strong. I was very surprised by the damage range when I did a quest with Ifan in act1 and he got some unique crossbow and it was like twice as much damage as the other stuff I had seen up to that point. Sadly I didn't have an archer to use it but yeah crossbows look strong.

One slight downside is they fire in a straight line, while bows arc. This can be used to get past some obstacles, sometimes. I would assume this is relevant when trying to use special arrows in a very specific spot, but if you have the high ground it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Spells also behave like this, some are direct while others arc, so you can sometimes get different targetting areas depending on the projectile type.

Elven_Star

Had to scroll all through the first page before finding the topic. Almost thought it's not on the first page. Was like "no way GAF has sunk this low." There's hope yet.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game a lot despite restarting a couple of times right after reaching Fort Joy and once after the arena. Now I'm doing a summoner Fane with Lucky Charm. Good times.
Couple of guys were complaining about the loot. For them, Lucky Charm is a must. The game feels much more "natural" loot-wise this way. And let's face it, going around pickpocketing everyone gets old fast.

About to start the game, and need some advice! Origin character, or roll my own?
EDIT: maybe I don't understand this? Can I select an origin for a rolled character? Should I select a prebuilt? I'm overwhelmed.

I'm getting a little frustrated with some bugs and stuff. Things like not being able to rightly determine if quests are actually finished or not. My brother ran into similar issues of doing quests, talking to the quest giver, it never being logged as completed in the journal then ultimately failing and so on.

Difficulty spikes are fine but kinda brutal early on too.

Overall I'm really loving it, just little things sort of bumming me out.

I expect the quest log bug is one of the first things that will be addressed now that they fix the memory leak. It's probably the most common bug I've seen here and other places.

I am thinking about buying this for my girlfriend and I to play in coop. She loves DnD but we barely ever get together with our group so I thought this might be the next best thing.

Is it fun to play in split-screen or tedious? What I worry most about is that we would play it on the tv a couple of meters away so all the text might be too small to possibly read.

FWIW, if you are ok playing with a controller the UI in the game is totally different including much bigger fonts. It's designed to be played on TVs using the controller UI.

J4g3r

So what exactly gets reset with this respec option that we get once we leave the island?

Are all my party members affected?

Can I pick new base classes?

Will they lose skills learnt from books? (That seems like a huge trade off if so).

Thanks guys.

Leezard

So what exactly gets reset with this respec option that we get once we leave the island?

Are all my party members affected?

Can I pick new base classes?

Will they lose skills learnt from books? (That seems like a huge trade off if so).

Thanks guys.

You can change anything you want except character tags, pretty much. You can individually lower whatever skill you want by one point and put one point elsewhere, or change all your points. You don't lose any learned skills. Base classes can't be changed but that doesn't matter since you can completely redistribute all your attribute points and skill points, which is equivalent to changing your class except learning skills.

My God... the writing in this game is something else, it's top quality to say the least.

I just picked up this random book called Book, not expecting much from it. Holy shit, it made me think and philosophise about teaching and education. The book is found
inside a red tent outside on the 2nd floor of the Magistrate's fort
, and the book's header starts with
Military Essays I: What makes an expert Swordsman?

Chaos17

About to start the game, and need some advice! Origin character, or roll my own?
EDIT: maybe I don't understand this? Can I select an origin for a rolled character? Should I select a prebuilt? I'm overwhelmed.

Most of the prebuilt are correct just the cleric class if you don't want an undead companion, ditch necro and go aero because water+wind spells go well together. Also try to remember (or screenshot) these build because that what your companions will have by default when they join you (or save before choosing a speciality/class for a companion).

J4g3r

You can change anything you want except character tags, pretty much. You can individually lower whatever skill you want by one point and put one point elsewhere, or change all your points. You don't lose any learned skills. Base classes can't be changed but that doesn't matter since you can completely redistribute all your attribute points and skill points, which is equivalent to changing your class except learning skills.

Awesome, think the only change I'll make is pout a couple more points into Thievery - Thanks!

Leezard

Wait you can't learn new spells if you choose other skills?

You can but you'd have to go buy/steal new skill books. You won't learn a bunch of Geomancy skills for free if you respec from Pyromancy. You can buy Geomancy skillbooks and learn them just fine though.

Sarcasm

You can but you'd have to go buy/steal new skill books. You won't learn a bunch of Geomancy skills for free if you respec from Pyromancy. You can buy Geomancy skillbooks and learn them just fine though.

Well yeah I figured but it was confusing, I thought you be stuck with three basic ones lol

I'm really liking how they've handled spell memorisation (through the Memory stat). It's basically the solution to the age-old problem of "how to improve D&D spellcasting" without making things based on resting, level, or straight cooldowns. Gives spellcasting a lot of flexibility that would otherwise not be there.

Also, for some reason, I find managing the spells very satisfying, Like, yes, I will give up these two useful spells for this incredible spell.
Reading through the thread here and people are still bad at spoiler tags.

To reiterate, this is how you DO NOT spoiler tag:

Just fought
godzilla
. WOW, what a fight!

You should try to give some non-spoilery context so that people know roughly where you are. IE:
A few hours in to Act 2. Just fought
mothman
and that was crazy!

I appreciate this valiant post, even if it is
futile

But seriously, I hope everyone can follow these guidelines. Otherwise a spoiler thread would be in order.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Pet Pal is great. Avoiding
getting jumped by an bunch of angry lava slugs because I pretended to be a messenger from another lava slug
was a hoot.

Top Bottom