• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

I'm needing help understanding something.

I was looking at Decaying Touch a Necromancer skills for Fane.
It says it'll do 9-10 dmg with him and scales with INT and Necromancer skill. Fane has 3 in necromancer and 17 int. Yet The Red Prince who has no Necromancer skill and 10 in INT says it'll do 11-12 dmg for him. They both have the same amount of Strength as each other so I don't understand why The Red Prince would get more damage from it.

Also, it's not that I even want the skill, I just don't understand why Fane would do less damage with it.

Decaying Touch scales dmge off character level, not skill level, it receives bonus dmge from Int. If there is no lvl difference though then I wouldn't know still.

I'm needing help understanding something.

I was looking at Decaying Touch a Necromancer skills for Fane.
It says it'll do 9-10 dmg with him and scales with INT and Necromancer skill. Fane has 3 in necromancer and 17 int. Yet The Red Prince who has no Necromancer skill and 10 in INT says it'll do 11-12 dmg for him. They both have the same amount of Strength as each other so I don't understand why The Red Prince would get more damage from it.

Also, it's not that I even want the skill, I just don't understand why Fane would do less damage with it.

Are you comparing the book value on both or? I know books don't show the actual value you'll do cause they don't take into account stats, it's more like a baseline damage and you can compare book damage to book damage, but not book damage to anyone's skills. Other factor that could affect it is if for some reason your characters aren't the same level(I've had Sebille ahead by like 1k xp for most of act1, it evens out in act2 automatically though).

Alric

Decaying Touch scales dmge off character level, not skill level, it receives bonus dmge from Int. If there is no lvl difference though then I wouldn't know still.

Are you comparing the book value on both or? I know books don't show the actual value you'll do cause they don't take into account stats, it's more like a baseline damage and you can compare book damage to book damage, but not book damage to anyone's skills. Other factor that could affect it is if for some reason your characters aren't the same level(I've had Sebille ahead by like 1k xp for most of act1, it evens out in act2 automatically though).

They are both level 5. I hope it's just the book not taking into account the stats because, I really don't know otherwise.

Ryzaki009

Yeah, this happened to me.
Spent over an hour in combat slowly CCing, making cursed fire chains, using Bless, using Rain, using Tornado and cleared the entire area then had them all respawn in a wall. Finally just reloaded and stealth/lockpick/teleported my way through the embassy which is what I should've done in the first place.

I also had the final fight in the game crash to desktop on me over halfway through. Act 4 is replete with frustrating bugs.
Act 4 and final fight spoilers

Least it wasn't just me. Thankfully only 1 was respawning but it was still absurd.

Oh god I hate everything about the final fight. From it starting with everyone clumped up so Lucian can cheese (only thing that saved me was evading aura's cheese right back.) to "haha I'm gonna start more shit Rex (thankfully I didn't have to deal with Dragon BS from Dallis because I killed her fast enough and unlike Rex she doesn't heal to full after the level change.) but still such BS. Then the teleporting kraken one shotting alot of my party. Eventually I just went fuck it teleported Braccus over to my 2 summons and Sebille and they kicked his ass in. That annoying female boss add tried to heal him but that couldn't stop the chain CC. Aolso screw that zombie with his unnecessary super speed. As soon as he plagued hboth my casters lost their shields. Such a nuisance because it's unresistant and unlike cheesy Lucian we don't have a party wide bless.

Need some guidance on the 3 Altars quest in Act 2. Preferably as non-spoilery as possible.

I can't help but feel like I've made a huge mistake praying at all 3 altars. The way they left things at the last altar makes me feel like this could bite me in the ass down the line.

My question: Did I indeed make a huge mistake and should I reload?

I don't know if the problem is me or its Act 4. I just really don't care at all for this running around shit and sidequests popping up and asking me to care. I don't. Just let me finish this damn game!

Minor act 4 spoilers:
Also I really feel like Act 3 and 4 should swap. Nameless Isle feels much more end game than another city.

UberLevi

It seems like Lucky Charm is broken and I only have 2 points in it...

Should I respec to get some points there?

I got Lucky Charm up to 3 and while it did give me the occasional magic item from an otherwise empty barrel or crate, I decided to respec and you just get much more consistent returns if you take Thievery and pickpocket vendors. The odds of finding an extra item in a junk chest vs the guarantee of being able to swipe a costly item from a merchant is really out of proportion. It would be nice if Lucky Charm let you choose additional rewards from quest completions or something to that effect (extra loot in already guaranteed tables like boss chests). But currently it seems like you get way less returns on it than simply taking skill points in pickpocketing and stealing the things you want.

goblin

Least it wasn't just me. Thankfully only 1 was respawning but it was still absurd.

Oh god I hate everything about the final fight. From it starting with everyone clumped up so Lucian can cheese (only thing that saved me was evading aura's cheese right back.) to "haha I'm gonna start more shit Rex (thankfully I didn't have to deal with Dragon BS from Dallis because I killed her fast enough and unlike Rex she doesn't heal to full after the level change.) but still such BS. Then the teleporting kraken one shotting alot of my party. Eventually I just went fuck it teleported Braccus over to my 2 summons and Sebille and they kicked his ass in. That annoying female boss add tried to heal him but that couldn't stop the chain CC. Aolso screw that zombie with his unnecessary super speed. As soon as he plagued hboth my casters lost their shields. Such a nuisance because it's unresistant and unlike cheesy Lucian we don't have a party wide bless.

It was definitely the hardest fight in the game for me. It doesn't help that almost every enemy in it is resistant/immune to Fire, Earth and Poison but weak to Air and I had to do some skill and gear rearranging to make my Pyro/Geo not useless. I'm pretty sure Braccus Rex always teleports to the top left platform on his first turn and if you have a character next to him he'll run up and start to melee them instead of unloading Meteors and fireballs on your grouped up party. I had Fane as a dual dagger Rogue with really high initiative and was able to use Time Warp, Teleport, Cloak and Dagger and Tactical Retreat to get my party a bit spread out spread out and put himself up to where Braccus would be where he could tank Braccus' melee then die and revive with Comeback Kid. Other characters worked on stripping Braccus' physical armor from range and then on Fane's next turn I removed the rest, Time Warp, Adrenaline, Forced Exchange to put Braccus at 20% and he was done. Having infinite source is pretty fun.

Sallow Man constantly using huge AoE, stacking Plague is definitely the most annoying part of that fight. Makes the Kraken do so much damage.

sadblob

I got Lucky Charm up to 3 and while it did give me the occasional magic item from an otherwise empty barrel or crate, I decided to respec and you just get much more consistent returns if you take Thievery and pickpocket vendors. The odds of finding an extra item in a junk chest vs the guarantee of being able to swipe a costly item from a merchant is really out of proportion. It would be nice if Lucky Charm let you choose additional rewards from quest completions or something to that effect (extra loot in already guaranteed tables like boss chests). But currently it seems like you get way less returns on it than simply taking skill points in pickpocketing and stealing the things you want.

Thanks for your answer, I'm content with my current gear but hearing people saying they were getting even better loot made me think about it. I'll stick with what I have for now.

Trying to find some boletus to
help the cows
. Are there any in a fixed location? I knew not picking up everything was going to bite me in the ass...

EDIT: nvm I'm blind, there is one right outside the witch's house.

This is only true early on. Basically in act1, Thievery > Lucky Charm, you can't get many levels in Lucky Charm and stuff and Thievery lets you get all these spellbooks you need.

In act2 and higher though, Lucky Charm > Thievery. Lucky charm generates a ton of items, and these items can be sold to generate gold to buy everything you need from vendors anyway. I'm near the end of act2 and still haven't used Thievery on any vendor(used it to steal keys from random npcs and what not, just nothing valuable), and I'm like 100k gold up from what I had when starting act2, while buying literally anything that's even a slight upgrade.

The fact that it generates additional items makes it way better than Thievery. It's a lot of items considering it's like one purple/pink every 7-8containers, and it counts everything like bookcases, skeletons, crates, barrels, fish stacks and whatever else.

Only starts kicking in at like 4 or more though, before that it felt meh, after that it felt really strong. Unsure if it scales past 6 unlike first game or whatever though, I just have 7 or 8 and keep it like that.

In the first game it was pretty crappy, but in this it's probably way too OP. If you have to pick only one skill I'd say it's the best, combat wise. Thievery doubles as exploration utility though, can open doors and chests and steal keys or quest items, but it pales in comparison to lucky charm for gearing up.

Ryzaki009

It was definitely the hardest fight in the game for me. It doesn't help that almost every enemy in it is resistant/immune to Fire, Earth and Poison but weak to Air and I had to do some skill and gear rearranging to make my Pyro/Geo not useless. I'm pretty sure Braccus Rex always teleports to the top left platform on his first turn and if you have a character next to him he'll run up and start to melee them instead of unloading Meteors and fireballs on your grouped up party. I had Fane as a dual dagger Rogue with really high initiative and was able to use Time Warp, Teleport, Cloak and Dagger and Tactical Retreat to get my party a bit spread out spread out and put himself up to where Braccus would be where he could tank Braccus' melee then die and revive with Comeback Kid. Other characters worked on stripping Braccus' physical armor from range and then on Fane's next turn I removed the rest, Time Warp, Adrenaline, Forced Exchange to put Braccus at 20% and he was done. Having infinite source is pretty fun.

Sallow Man constantly using huge AoE, stacking Plague is definitely the most annoying part of that fight. Makes the Kraken do so much damage.

It really doesn't help that in the first you're pretty much forced into a pretty close area. Since in the first part if you go too far away from Lucian at first he'll scare Malady off and rip your infinite source then BS sallow man gets a free party plague at the start unless you immediately start separating everybody. Yeah I usually use a combination do nether-swap (from a totem) dragging him over to Sebille and my 2 blood incarnates.

Yep Plague would cause that stupid Kraken to almost one shot my tank D:

Vamphuntr

Summon Inner Demon seems incredibly broken. 1 Source point + 1 AP then you get 800 Magic Armor then 2 AP and you hit something for 1000 Magic Armor Damage and terrifies it. It also works on bosses I just terrified ACT 3 boss
Alexandar

Act 3 is buggy at some point I was in battle with everything on the map even stuff meters away in the fog of war.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Question about Act 2:

Where is Gareth after he leaves the boat? He said he had his own mission to finish. I read he is supposed to be in a hut south of the Driftwood - Fields waypoint but it is empty for me with dead people laying about. Is there a way to trigger him to appear?

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer
Question about Act 2:

Where is Gareth after he leaves the boat? He said he had his own mission to finish. I read he is supposed to be in a hut south of the Driftwood - Fields waypoint but it is empty for me with dead people laying about. Is there a way to trigger him to appear?
He’s right at that camp to the left of a tent with 2 others. Took me a while to spot him too

Vamphuntr

Question about Act 2:

At first he's interrogating some magister I think it was Jonathan in a house. Then he's at this parent's house
where the tombs are

AndersK

The end of act 1/beginning of act 2 is really strong.

By this time in the first game, I'd mentally checked out. Really HELPS its not written like ODDFACE MCZOMBIEPANTS wants me to fetch the QUIRKY WHIP OF ODDMENT from THE LAUGHING SLIME OF THE LIGHTHOUSE, with a torrent OF SNARK SILLY DITZY OUTRAGEOUS dialogue in-between.

What a sequel. Ya did GooD Larian.

UberLevi

This is only true early on. Basically in act1, Thievery > Lucky Charm, you can't get many levels in Lucky Charm and stuff and Thievery lets you get all these spellbooks you need.

In act2 and higher though, Lucky Charm > Thievery. Lucky charm generates a ton of items, and these items can be sold to generate gold to buy everything you need from vendors anyway. I'm near the end of act2 and still haven't used Thievery on any vendor(used it to steal keys from random npcs and what not, just nothing valuable), and I'm like 100k gold up from what I had when starting act2, while buying literally anything that's even a slight upgrade.

The fact that it generates additional items makes it way better than Thievery. It's a lot of items considering it's like one purple/pink every 7-8containers, and it counts everything like bookcases, skeletons, crates, barrels, fish stacks and whatever else.

Only starts kicking in at like 4 or more though, before that it felt meh, after that it felt really strong. Unsure if it scales past 6 unlike first game or whatever though, I just have 7 or 8 and keep it like that.

In the first game it was pretty crappy, but in this it's probably way too OP. If you have to pick only one skill I'd say it's the best, combat wise. Thievery doubles as exploration utility though, can open doors and chests and steal keys or quest items, but it pales in comparison to lucky charm for gearing up.

Hm, might consider swapping back then because I only took it up to 3 and then respecced at the end of Act 1/start of Act 2 because I was feeling underwhelmed by the gains.

Okay Act 4, this Cursed
Revenant
fight is bullshit. There's not enough damn bodies around here to absorb for me to keep using bless! And apparently they are anchored to more cursed shit that's not even in the same room they are located in.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Final fight
Pshhh do the right thing and get that Divine assistance instead of fighting against it

Yep did the same thing. Was a lot easier with
joining sides with the opposition

Okay Act 4, this Cursed
Revenant
fight is bullshit. There's not enough damn bodies around here to absorb for me to keep using bless! And apparently they are anchored to more cursed shit that's not even in the same room they are located in.

Just TP from outside into the locked gate and proceed from there. That whole area isn't worth the frustration.

Nothing confirmed. If there are it will probably be expansion packs. Larian was pretty much adamant on getting the game to launch successfully to bother entertaining notion of future content for the game when interviewed in the past.

There are certainly plenty of hints and breadcrumbs about where they want to proceed. And with the current sales I'm sure we can expect something down the line.

Really having a hard time with some of the fights. Level three crew, in the dungeons of fort joy - how the hell can I beat the magisters and rangers in that room? Seems impossible. And then, what else can I do to level up? I need something like 7k more experience to get to level 4, but I don't know how to progress a few quests, or where else to get more. How do I open the gate to get into Fort Joy proper, for example?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yo Arrow Spray is amazing, just teleport close to a big enemy, shoot 16 arrow to their face, watch them die.

At end game, Lohse as my ranger was doing well into 15k damage with it. It's amazing.

Hm, might consider swapping back then because I only took it up to 3 and then respecced at the end of Act 1/start of Act 2 because I was feeling underwhelmed by the gains.

Yeah it's kinda bad early on, doesn't proc that much and mostly blue items and stuff, I thought it was so so also but I figured I might as well level it anyway since Telekinesis is whatever. But once I started getting it high enough with necklace and belt +1(can get +2 in act) it started being super powerful.

Also you can drink alcohol to get +2 for a few seconds. Fill up all these cups and mugs at beer barrels and then drink up everytime you hit large packs of containers(like libraries or cellars) and you get a ton of items. Although I'm not convinced it does anything past 5.

Lanrutcon

Failed a Finesse check at 58 finesse. For those counting, that's 18 over the maximum possible investment.

Decided to do the only sensible thing, and edited all my character's Persuasion to 10. A fix for the broken stat checks is the first mod I'll install without a second thought.

Also: shout outs to the demon fight in act 2 with the unavoidable, unresistable charm effect. Loved seeing my characters spending round after round wasting rare consumables. Luckily gold is meaningless, I guess?

Really having a hard time with some of the fights. Level three crew, in the dungeons of fort joy - how the hell can I beat the magisters and rangers in that room? Seems impossible. And then, what else can I do to level up? I need something like 7k more experience to get to level 4, but I don't know how to progress a few quests, or where else to get more. How do I open the gate to get into Fort Joy proper, for example?

Kill some enemies, grab their keys, and open the front gate. At a certain point Magisters will attack on sight, even in the village itself so be wary.

Ryzaki009

Final fight
Pshhh do the right thing and get that Divine assistance instead of fighting against it

They wanted my PC to become a silent monk. After all that BS to end up one of those creatures? Hell no.Yeah I know Malady cancels it out but they didn't know that. Also Dallis and Lucian were POS. If I could get the purge source ending without those fuckers being rewarded I'd do it. AS it is fuck them. Dallis was a super moron thinking she could chain Rex too. I'm supposed to trust those derps with the future of the world? Not a chance. Also my party wrecked Lucian after he got his cheesy stun off Sebille.

Reani

Failed a Finesse check at 58 finesse. For those counting, that's 18 over the maximum possible investment.

Decided to do the only sensible thing, and edited all my character's Persuasion to 10. A fix for the broken stat checks is the first mod I'll install without a second thought.

Also: shout outs to the demon fight in act 2 with the unavoidable, unresistable charm effect. Loved seeing my characters spending round after round wasting rare consumables. Luckily gold is meaningless, I guess?
[finesse] [wits] etc only set the tone of the dialogue options, it doesnt check against said stat. the only stat that matters is persuasion and some options will fail no matter what if they are inappropriate (like saying "i'll break your arm" to 9000 str monster).
its unintuitive but not bugged or broken

Lanrutcon

[finesse] [wits] etc only set the tone of the dialogue options, it doesnt check against said stat. the only stat that matters is persuasion and some options will fail no matter what if they are inappropriate (like saying "i'll break your arm" to 9000 str monster).

Oh my god. Seriously? Well, that explains it all. So whoever has Pet Talk talk needs to invest in Persuasion, I guess. Thanks.

Reani

Oh my god. Seriously? Well, that explains it all. So whoever has Pet Talk talk needs to invest in Persuasion, I guess. Thanks.
yea, my main character does all the talking with max persuasion + pet pal.
3 other characters max lucky charm, bartering and thievery.
4 characters, each does its own thing

That makes a lot of sense. Are the [finesse] and [wits] tagged dialogue only available at high enough levels of those stats?

I don't think that's true. I once passed a finesse check I previously failed by drinking a finesse potion.

Reani

That makes a lot of sense. Are the [finesse] and [wits] tagged dialogue only available at high enough levels of those stats?
no, it just presents you all the options. if you have certain tags you can get unique dialogue options along with generic ones, like i had both [memory] and [memory][hero] options to choose from. unique dialogue is not a success guarantee, keep that in mind.

Lanrutcon

I don't think that's true. I once passed a finesse check I previously failed by drinking a finesse potion.

So here what just happened to me:

Character with 58 finesse and 2 Persuasion fails a check. Respec to 5 Persuasion, makes it.

Same dialogue another check comes up: Wits. Same character with 13 Wits and 5 Persuasion passes the check.

Persuasion is either everything, or so heavily weighted that is might as well be everything.

Trickster

My main complaint so far in this game is that it feels pretty poorly balanced. You pretty much steamroll anything that a level lower than you, but anything a level higher than you is ridiculously strong.

I'm level 15 right now on all characters, and I try to take a fight with 4 15's and 2 16's. And it's just not possible. One of the 16's gets the first move and just rips through my characters armor with a single move, which also knocks down people. Then the other guy whirlwinds 2-3 people for 6-700 dmg

This also means that while the areas are big and open, you end up forced to go to specific areas at specific levels. Which kind of takes away from my enjoyment of exploring

Act 4 Lizard Consulate spoilers
So any tips during the arena fight once you go through the portal? There's so many damn black mirrors and it doesn't help Alexandar summons a shadow version of the Red Prince when you're well into the fight. I'm thinking or atleast hope once I destory all mirrors the fight will end because I'm getting my ass kicked trying to run through the arena in taking them down.

carlsojo

So here what just happened to me:

Character with 58 finesse and 2 Persuasion fails a check. Respec to 5 Persuasion, makes it.

Same dialogue another check comes up: Wits. Same character with 13 Wits and 5 Persuasion passes the check.

Persuasion is either everything, or so heavily weighted that is might as well be everything.

I wonder if Persuasion acts like a multiplier of the stat used in checks.

Labadal

My main complaint so far in this game is that it feels pretty poorly balanced. You pretty much steamroll anything that a level lower than you, but anything a level higher than you is ridiculously strong.

I'm level 15 right now on all characters, and I try to take a fight with 4 15's and 2 16's. And it's just not possible. One of the 16's gets the first move and just rips through my characters armor with a single move, which also knocks down people. Then the other guy whirlwinds 2-3 people for 6-700 dmg

This also means that while the areas are big and open, you end up forced to go to specific areas at specific levels. Which kind of takes away from my enjoyment of exploring
This is mostly true. I have beaten 3-4 fights with enemies being.a level higher than me. A couple of fights with enemies being 2 levels above my party. I also beat a fight with a level 18 enemy at level 13. Summoning savem me big time. Once he got close to any of my characters, it was a one shot kill.

Act 4 Lizard Consulate spoilers
So any tips during the arena fight once you go through the portal? There's so many damn black mirrors and it doesn't help Alexandar summons a shadow version of the Red Prince when you're well into the fight

I hated that fight so much!
I shot/broke the mirrors out before the fight started with my ranger...some of them repawned but not all of them I'm pretty sure.

goblin

It really doesn't help that in the first you're pretty much forced into a pretty close area. Since in the first part if you go too far away from Lucian at first he'll scare Malady off and rip your infinite source then BS sallow man gets a free party plague at the start unless you immediately start separating everybody. Yeah I usually use a combination do nether-swap (from a totem) dragging him over to Sebille and my 2 blood incarnates.

Yep Plague would cause that stupid Kraken to almost one shot my tank D:

Lucian breaking your Revered buff never happened to me, but that sounds terrible and seems like it should be a bug. I also saw a bug where the white magisters wouldn't get transported to the second arena, so they were running around doing nothing in the first area during phase two. It was funny but ultimately harmless.

Final fight

Nah!
Even if I ended up choosing to go along with their no source plan because my character spited the God King and Black Ring at every possible turn, I still wanted to knock Lucian and Dallis out just so they knew it was on my terms. The only way I feel OK about the source-less ending is by thinking that Lucian got all teeth bashed out and his head re-arranged by repeated shields to the face; he gets what he wants, but he has to wear a Mask of the Shapeshifter forever, too, to keep up the public charade of being the Divine.

Top Bottom