• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Burt

I see, so it's a journal bug then? Shame as I felt that was an important reveal that was misproperly used.
Pretty sure that whole sequence at the end there is bugged. When I
ran into Justinia breaking down the door, she had a convo with my team -mostly Beast - then she left and the quest line was entirely resolved, but afterwards the last journal entry for the quest still said 'we need to confront Justinia. I'm pretty sure this is why I didn't get to see Beast in the ending or get an ending summary for him, because the game believes I never finished his quest.

Trickster

So in act 2, there's apparently a quest that is started by
Tarquin
called
All in the Family
which you get once you meet him at
Stonegarden
?

However this is kind of a problem for me since in my game he never left the
boat
. He's literally been standing in the same spot for all of act 2. And now that I'm done with the first part of the quest, I can't talk to him and tell him I have the
first part of the artefact
. I feel like I must have missed something super obvious for him to not have moved from where he's been the entire act? Even though I exhausted all dialogue choice I had with him.

So in act 2, there's apparently a quest that is started by
Tarquin
called
All in the Family
which you get once you meet him at
Stonegarden
?

However this is kind of a problem for me since in my game he never left the
boat
. He's literally been standing in the same spot for all of act 2. And now that I'm done with the first part of the quest, I can't talk to him and tell him I have the
first part of the artefact
. I feel like I must have missed something super obvious for him to not have moved from where he's been the entire act? Even though I exhausted all dialogue choice I had with him.

That’s the bug we were discussing the last couple of pages. Hopefully Larian will address it in next patch.

plenilune

(Tactician difficulty)
Need tips on defeating the magisters on Fort Joy castle level 2. The two groups, one with Paladin and other in the courtroom. Level 4 party of tank 2-hander dps summoner and rogue it seems close to impossible. Perhaps I'm not using the right skills.

Zesh

Got high persuasion on one of my characters. Sometimes it comes in handy for getting additional info for a quest, or tricking people. But neglecting persuasion and just fighting seems to give you a ton more XP and some loot (as opposed to 0 xp when using persuasion). Am I right in assuming so? Considering maxing thievery and lucky charm on everyone and ditching persuasion for those extra levels and loot. What do you guys think?

Also, I bring you a bug-related question. After respeccing a couple of times my character portraits now look like pixelated images from a game in the nineties. Sebille, while not as pixelated as The Red Prince, grew tons of moles. Lohse got some scars after her visits to the mirror. Anybody know if there's a way to restore/fix the portraits (an image file I can extract/replace perhaps?) Or are we just waiting for a patch for this? I don't know why this bug annoys me so much as it does, but I want my sexy, high res Red Prince back, and although moles are lovely, (I grew in love with moles when I watched Hot Shots 2 as a kid) I liked Sebille the way she was before she had mirror magic done to her :-(

(This means I am very superficial doesn't it? I should love my companions no matter how they look in their portrait! It's just scary as I feel the Red Prince portrait is just gonna be like this soon. And I made him look so bad ass in game too!

TL;DR: 1) Persuasion is fun but does make you miss out on XP - maybe not worth taking (or just go for the combat option when you can, through another character and keep persuasion for certain quests, I guess?
2) My portraits are messed up after respeccing. I have a pixelated Lizard, my elf grew (tons of) moles and my human stepped out of the mirror with scars all over her face. Is this just a feature, commenting on how plastic surgery/"min-maxing" IRL drives us humans crazy, making us want to "fix" more and more things while in reality, everything just gets worse? This just how mirror magic works in the game? Or is it a bug that is fixable?

Thanks in advance! <3

edit2: sorry for the double post!
& final edit: Interestingly enough, the pixelated portraits don't show up when taking a screenshot through Steam. The added moles and scars do show up on screenshots though.

There's no reason to get Lucky Charm on more than one character; just get it on one and always use that one to open containers. You're right about Persuasion usage generally resulting in experience loss, though, so you could get more Thievery instead of it.

The portrait issue when respeccing is a known bug. Think we just have to wait for a fix.

cevion

There's no reason to get Lucky Charm on more than one character; just get it on one and always use that one to open containers. You're right about Persuasion usage generally resulting in experience loss, though, so you could get more Thievery instead of it.

The portrait issue when respeccing is a known bug. Think we just have to wait for a fix.

Hey thanks for your response! Oh yeah, I worded that very poorly. I'm meaning to only pick up lucky charm on one char. Cheers, I'll definitely pump some more points in thievery and ditch persuasion!

Ah okay, gotcha about it being a known bug. I don't know why it took me so many sentences to ask two simple questions in my last post. Sorry about that. Think I need sleep.

Take care!

So many fights in the game are straight up boring, because of how many enemies/npcs are involved + how easy they are.
This Cursed Rev mechanic in act 4 is a cool idea on paper, but its executed in such a tedious way.

Labadal

Hey thanks for your response! Oh yeah, I worded that very poorly. I'm meaning to only pick up lucky charm on one char. Cheers, I'll definitely pump some more points in thievery and ditch persuasion!

Ah okay, gotcha about it being a known bug. I don't know why it took me so many sentences to ask two simple questions in my last post. Sorry about that. Think I need sleep.

Take care!
You can always respec your characters at the ship.

Jag

I have seen the light on Lucky Charm (at 8 right now). Getting better upgrades than drops/vendors.

Gear is huge in Act 2. Get out of that Fort Joy crap ASAP.

(Tactician difficulty)
Need tips on defeating the magisters on Fort Joy castle level 2. The two groups, one with Paladin and other in the courtroom. Level 4 party of tank 2-hander dps summoner and rogue it seems close to impossible. Perhaps I'm not using the right skills.

To make the first fight easier, you can go out the side door and kill the patrolling guard without attracting the others.

For the fight against the judge, I found it to be a lot more manageable if you use one of your characters to start a conversation with him and then engage with the rest of the guards while they're talking. It'll keep the judge and one of the others guards out of the fight.

Justin

Is there a good write up for people just starting the game that doesn't spoil anything but maybe gives tips on how to set up your character so you don't unknowingly handicap yourself? I really want to play this but don't have time to restart after figuring out the game 10 hours in.

What do you mean?

I guess after
the fight, I have the option to go onto the boat whenever I want?

I messed up Lohse, so Im using Beast for that part, but I want to take Lohse with me.

Big Spoilers:

Once you get on the boat, point of no return, and get it moving
another boat attacks and the 2-3 companions not in your party at that point die forever.

Ok, but
I can pick up Lohse in between the fight and getting on the boat?

Once you get on the boat you start on your own and rebuild your party of 4. They are littered around the ship. There is lots of exploring and talking to people so no time pressure before
the boat goes anywhere.

Trickster

Is there any drawbacks from
consuming spirits
once I'm done talking to them? Like, for instance will you later in the game be judged for it or some other effect?

Is there a good write up for people just starting the game that doesn't spoil anything but maybe gives tips on how to set up your character so you don't unknowingly handicap yourself? I really want to play this but don't have time to restart after figuring out the game 10 hours in.

THere';s a mod to respec in Act 1 and once you hit Act 2 you can respec anyway...imo, tooltips are informative enough that unless you deliberately invest stats in things you won't use, it's quite hard to handicap yourself. Finding out you like a different playstyle is a different thing but then you can just respec.

Does anyone know if Bone Widow gets any more abilities as she ranks up? Mine has proven to be incredibly useful, and slightly terrifying as a Necrofire'd Bone Widow rises out of the ground to deal damage, but 2 abilities is a bit...boring.

ValfarHL

THere';s a mod to respec in Act 1 and once you hit Act 2 you can respec anyway...imo, tooltips are informative enough that unless you deliberately invest stats in things you won't use, it's quite hard to handicap yourself. Finding out you like a different playstyle is a different thing but then you can just respec.

Does anyone know if Bone Widow gets any more abilities as she ranks up? Mine has proven to be incredibly useful, and slightly terrifying as a Necrofire'd Bone Widow rises out of the ground to deal damage, but 2 abilities is a bit...boring.

You wont get achievements if you have mods activated though.

Jisgsaw

Man, that fight against the (mid?-act 2)
eternal in the ancient temple
is pure and utter bullsh*t. You are garanteed one caster down, as both summons from her (that she invariably casts near one of your caster in her first turn, that she invariably has as first) can each attack thrice for ~300 damage (so 1800 total) in their first fucking turn (that; as they are summons, come directly after her turn). Before you have time to do anything. And afterwards, their mobility is pure BS, meaning you can't revive anyone, as they'll be immediately killed by one of the 6 summons.

Edit: and naturaly, after ranting here, I managed to win the fight. With heavy losses, but still.

Arkanius

Gentlemens, Tactician mode is way too fucking hard.
Any special talents I should get for my team? I'm a Cleric, a Rogue and two wizards.

I had to drop the game to easy, every fight I've gotten into at Fort Joy has almost obliterated me. This is my first time with Divinity so I think I'll stick here for a little longer before going back up to normal. Easy is maybe a little too easy. But normal was kicking my ass.

Jamaro85

Off topic but does the first game ever go on sale? Gonna get it regardless but I'll hold off for a bit if there's a chance the price drops with some upcoming sales event.

bati

Off topic but does the first game ever go on sale? Gonna get it regardless but I'll hold off for a bit if there's a chance the price drops with some upcoming sales event.

Honestly I'd skip the first game and go straight to the second if you have the chance to do that.

AndersK

Tactician mode's biggest problem is the inability to go down again. I just left act 1 on Classic, and the difficulty is manageable. I'm just not sure I want mobs to have 50 % more stats. Some Fights could Get real boring.

A very specific, nitpicky question: I've been hearing a lot of "Greatest of All Time" buzz about OS2 and everything I've been reading makes it sound like something I should love. However, I never got into OS1 (or the Enhanced Edition) because the interface and camera felt really clunky to me to the point that I stopped playing. I don't remember reading much about that issue, so it might just have been a "me" thing, but has this been improved for 2 or is it largely the same?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Act 4 spoilers

This cursed revenant fight is the stupidest shit I've seen so far in this game. I get how to win but it's so obnoxious to have to bless every single god damn necro fire in the area.

cevion

Gentlemens, Tactician mode is way too fucking hard.
Any special talents I should get for my team? I'm a Cleric, a Rogue and two wizards.

What level are you? Tactician can be pretty brutal starting out but it gets much easier once you get to act 2 and start getting some gear. Through thievery and lucky charm you can buy almost all the most expensive/effective gear you like and then pickpocket the money back. You can steal once per character, so leveling thievery on multiple characters is recommended. (Thievery starts shining once you can steal 10k gold per character, which I think is 5 points)

If you're having a hard time not getting spotted while trying to steal (i.e. crowded area), place the rest of your party talking to whatever other characters are around, and spin the NPC's 180 degrees away from your current thief. After stealing start moving cause they'll be coming for you. Barter ain't that useful, stack up Lucky Charm on one character instead.

Summoning is very powerful, especially so if you, with the help of gear, rush it up to 10 points. That way you get a beefy ass summon (summon incarnate, also heard good things about the necro summon) which you can infuse into whatever element you like, then add melee/ranged/rogue skills with the extra infusions.

Rangers are also very powerful, esp. with crossbows. Try to always end the turn on your squishies with something that cloaks you / gives you evasion or teleports you (cloak/evade/nether swap or try to break LoS) if you can't CC or nuke an enemy target down that turn. Try to teleport multiple enemies on top of each other and then spam AoE + grenades if they will contribute to a spell combination, like poison and fire or water and lightning.

"The pawn" is a great talent on any character imo. Makes moving cost 1 less ap, so you can move short distances for 0 ap.

I'd respec the rogue into a ranger and give him/her far out man. Use elemental arrows when you need magic damage. Most targets either have more magic armor or more phys armor, which you should try to take advantage of. If your ranger is an elf, spam flesh sacrifice and then later the skill book with gives you more damage the more distance you have + the skill which lets you fly up in the air to get a single shot with the +height damage modifier. On top of that, use flight when you can to get an actual height advantage from Huntsman. (I bought a pink crossbow on my ranger in act 2 at lvl 10 which gives me +20% crit, making my total crit end up at around 45% (give or take, can't check right now) with "Hothead", flame rune in necklace and some other +%crit on items.)

Consider using all types of crowd control you can! Polymorph gives you chicken touch at lvl 1 and wings for your cleric/fighter, your mages and your ranger. Contemplate getting haste/fortify/magic armour on as many characters as you can. "+armor/mag armor-over-time" spells can also be helpful.

Abuse LoS every fight and find good positioning before fights & of course during fights (hide behind walls, kite enemies into chokepoints etc) Use "The Pawn" and the flight skill to get an ap advantage over the enemies. You can make the enemy melee attackers waste a lot of ap by using your escape/skills and flight.

Give all your mages shields, go 12 con and 1 pt in warfare for shield throw. (It's good to have both phys and magical damage on every character). This will buff your survivability on your mages considerably. (You can also give your casters 12 strenght to equip some beefier armor, or 12 finesse and a nice bow/x-bow but the latter is a high-risk-high-reward play. Dual wands can also be good for damage and something like burning+poison, but again, lessens your survivability )

Give all your character some sort of heal/status-ailment cure, preferably multiple ones.
I like to have chameleon cloak on all my characters as well, plus aero 2 on most for teleport/evade, nether swap etc. If you end your turn with cloak you can kinda use it as a taunt of sorts and force the enemy to attack your tankiest character. Huntsman 2 for tactical retreat and first aid ain't bad either for a low cost.

Most skill trees have worthwhile skills around 1-2 points worth picking up on multiple characters. Warfare has some nice knockbacks and a teleport aswell.

I'm was very tired while typing this so it might have been a little messy and poorly structured. Moreover, I noticed I probably used the word "abuse" way too many times in this post (English isn't my first language, but that isn't a good excuse). Nevertheless, I hope at least some of the above advice helps. As soon as you get some gear, a good bow for the ranger and reach 10 in summoning the game becomes much more manageable.

Good luck! :)
Get a summoner and, from what I read, a ranger instead of a rogue.

Essentially the TL:DR of my long ass post above. I agree! :)
I swear every merchant in this game is a psychic. They even know when I lot closed crates and chest and they are not in the room.

Heh, I feel ya! But are you checking their line of sight by holding shift? If you are in the dark red, they can spot you. If you are in the "lighter shade of red", they can't spot you if you sneak (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I've come to interpret it) You can avoid getting caught in a crowded area by separating your characters and positioning 3 of your teammates talking to NPC's 180 degrees away from your thief while your thief sneaks around and steals/pickpockets.

Ryzaki009

Act 4 spoilers

This cursed revenant fight is the stupidest shit I've seen so far in this game. I get how to win but it's so obnoxious to have to bless every single god damn necro fire in the area.

Heh be grateful it didn't bug. I can't complete that quest because 1 small sliver of it is unblessable thus they'll forever respawn. Top design there. /s

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Heh be grateful it didn't bug. I can't complete that quest because 1 small sliver of it is unblessable thus they'll forever respawn. Top design there. /s

I managed to skip and sneak past the area but jeez, that's just really awful design.

I absolutely love this game.

Was playing at 9pm "for just an hour or two" last night and didn't stop until 2am. It's been awhile since a game has kept me up and made time just disappear like this one.

What a wonderful game Larian has created.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
A very specific, nitpicky question: I've been hearing a lot of "Greatest of All Time" buzz about OS2 and everything I've been reading makes it sound like something I should love. However, I never got into OS1 (or the Enhanced Edition) because the interface and camera felt really clunky to me to the point that I stopped playing. I don't remember reading much about that issue, so it might just have been a "me" thing, but has this been improved for 2 or is it largely the same?

Interface and camera are almost identical. Depending on how much you disliked this aspect of DOS1, DOS2 may not be for you either. Don't feel bad about it - not every game clicks with every gamer.

But for what it's worth, I couldn't get into DS1 and DS2 has me hooked so far. I still find it slower and clunkier than something like Pillars of Eternity, and (this is just a personal preference thing) I like POE's pre-rendered art more.

But where DOS2 really shines is in your ability to actually roleplay. What you're wearing, things you've said, what's in your inventory, the order you do things, how long it takes to do things... all of this comes back up in really surprising, unanticipated ways.

Interface and camera are almost identical. Depending on how much you disliked this aspect of DOS1, DOS2 may not be for you either. Don't feel bad about it - not every game clicks with every gamer.

But for what it's worth, I couldn't get into DS1 and DS2 has me hooked so far. I still find it slower and clunkier than something like Pillars of Eternity, and (this is just a personal preference thing) I like POE's pre-rendered art more.

But where DOS2 really shines is in your ability to actually roleplay. What you're wearing, things you've said, what's in your inventory, the order you do things, how long it takes to do things... all of this comes back up in really surprising, unanticipated ways.
Good to know, thank you.

AcAnchoa

I went from frustration to laugh at how stupid was what I was doing during the ending of the first act.
I piled every barrel I could find and started the fight by exploding them while staying at the door. When the worm appeared I ran away so the magisters and the worm began fighting each other. After one turn only Alexander remained and he focused on the worm instead of me. Once the worm was down the Bishop was very easy. The whole thing took half an hour, but it's finally done.

Now to finish a pair of quests and get away from the island.

Blyr

Banned
Put about 40 hours into act 2 after dumping an enormous amount of time into the EA of act 1 throughout development, and gosh I love this game so much

About to finish things up here, I've mostly just been wandering around murdering everyone who isn't named, including
the bridge trolls, all of the magisters, and most merchants in driftwood, incl the lone wolf guy who killed the merchant and stole his identity

Is act 3 as big as act 2? because I'm finally learning the nuances of character development, and I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to build my characters when I finish this run and do a PT2 properly, likely using Lohse as a origin character instead of a OC

I can't believe how easily I've sunk so much time into this game though, they improved every complaint I had with OS1, and finding the
pyramids in locked tenebrium chests
was a very nice touch, it cleanly explained why I couldn't
use one pyramid to teleport to the others, the way you would find them in OS1 or Divine Divinity
, just, loving all of the little details all the way through

also, curious if the implications of
dallis being a dragon knight
are part of the reason for the events in Divinity 2.. I found out by accident because
I kinda broke the game in the EA and then killed her on the boat, because I was level 20 and we 1 shot her

Put about 40 hours into act 2 after dumping an enormous amount of time into the EA of act 1 throughout development, and gosh I love this game so much

About to finish things up here, I've mostly just been wandering around murdering everyone who isn't named, including
the bridge trolls, all of the magisters, and most merchants in driftwood, incl the lone wolf guy who killed the merchant and stole his identity

Is act 3 as big as act 2? because I'm finally learning the nuances of character development, and I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to build my characters when I finish this run and do a PT2 properly, likely using Lohse as a origin character instead of a OC

I can't believe how easily I've sunk so much time into this game though, they improved every complaint I had with OS1, and finding the
pyramids in locked tenebrium chests
was a very nice touch, it cleanly explained why I couldn't
use one pyramid to teleport to the others, the way you would find them in OS1 or Divine Divinity
, just, loving all of the little details all the way through

also, curious if the implications of
dallis being a dragon knight
are part of the reason for the events in Divinity 2.. I found out by accident because
I kinda broke the game in the EA and then killed her on the boat, because I was level 20 and we 1 shot her

Depending on how you go about it Act 3 can be shorter or about the same time as Act 1. But even then you have Act 4 is look forward to which I'm in right now which seems to be the sameish as Act 1.

Makareu

Damn that Hide&Seek side quest in Driftwood, I didn't see it coming. I appreciate how the tone of the game can bounce from light to heavy.

ValfarHL

So I get that a ranger type with crossbow can be more deadly than a rouge, but god damn if it isn't more fun playing with a sneaking deadly rouge!

So I get that a ranger type with crossbow can be more deadly than a rouge, but god damn if it isn't more fun playing with a sneaking deadly rouge!

Rogue. Rouge is a color dear fellow.

I've had Beast as a Shadowblade (poly/scoundrel) and he is a blast to play. So much mobility, so much utility, so much damage (you need new weapons basically every 2 levels though). The class will probably be my class in my multiplayer game with my friends, whenever they stop being cheapskates and buy the game.

madp0k

I have taken far too long, I haven't finished quite a few quest lines

I was shockingly bad for longer than I play most games

Steam has me at around 46 hrs (I have left it hanging for possibly 10 of those hours)

I'm on the boat, trying to get through the sodding doors

I don't care though as I'm in love with this game

well worth selling a few items of PUBG gear for

Alric

I'm needing help understanding something.

I was looking at Decaying Touch a Necromancer skills for Fane.
It says it'll do 9-10 dmg with him and scales with INT and Necromancer skill. Fane has 3 in necromancer and 17 int. Yet The Red Prince who has no Necromancer skill and 10 in INT says it'll do 11-12 dmg for him. They both have the same amount of Strength as each other so I don't understand why The Red Prince would get more damage from it.

Also, it's not that I even want the skill, I just don't understand why Fane would do less damage with it.

goblin

Pretty sure that whole sequence at the end there is bugged. When I
ran into Justinia breaking down the door, she had a convo with my team -mostly Beast - then she left and the quest line was entirely resolved, but afterwards the last journal entry for the quest still said 'we need to confront Justinia. I'm pretty sure this is why I didn't get to see Beast in the ending or get an ending summary for him, because the game believes I never finished his quest.

I had the same bug but was able to resolve it by saving at the start of the conversation and then reloading that save. Justinia finished her conversation with Beast, then ran off the map but somehow started a conversation with my Avatar which I was able to resolve.

Ending spoiler:
FWIW, Beast's general "good" ending if you let her live (the permutations I got, anyway) is that he tries doing some leadership stuff with the Dwarves but embarrasses himself and ultimately ends up back on the high seas.

Yeah, this happened to me.
Spent over an hour in combat slowly CCing, making cursed fire chains, using Bless, using Rain, using Tornado and cleared the entire area then had them all respawn in a wall. Finally just reloaded and stealth/lockpick/teleported my way through the embassy which is what I should've done in the first place.

I also had the final fight in the game crash to desktop on me over halfway through. Act 4 is replete with frustrating bugs.

Top Bottom