• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

should i have a rogue in my party, is there any utility to them outside of combat? or just for disarming traps?

The civil abilities aren't tied to combat abilities. You can have a mage or warrior take Thievery, doesn't change anything really. Thievery as a skill is good though, pickpocket basically means virtually infinite money and opening locked doors/chests is nice if you don't want to find the keys. Disarming traps is very uncommon tbh, most of the areas you can just run through fine with the armor system, or "disable" mines by shooting at them with stuff.

For me that was connected to Fane, try touching it with him if you have it.

Side question:

In act 2 I have numerous chests marked on my map. WHen I go to these areas I can't find a single thing. No secrets are popping, though they have before. I'm wondering if I'm bugged or these are special? I have Wits 14 on someone.
Try casting Peace of Mind for a temporary +4 Wits bonus.

Lanrutcon

Side question:

In act 2 I have numerous chests marked on my map. WHen I go to these areas I can't find a single thing. No secrets are popping, though they have before. I'm wondering if I'm bugged or these are special? I have Wits 14 on someone.

I had wits 20something, and I found good stuff.

Try casting Peace of Mind for a temporary +4 Wits bonus.

The stats scale on Peace of Mind, it's more than 4 when you're at that point usually, more like 6 or 7. It's a really good buff overall because of it, unlike encourage which seems to be stuck at 1stat 2con which is pretty bad even if it's aoe.

MindofKB

The most OP spell in the game is the chicken polymorph. Have 1-2 of your party members take that skill and gg to whatever you're fighting.

When they're a chicken, your attacks against them ignore armor and do pure damage for 2 TURNS.

Alric

The most OP spell in the game is the chicken polymorph. Have 1-2 of your party members take that skill and gg to whatever you're fighting.

When they're a chicken, your attacks against them ignore armor and do pure damage for 2 TURNS.

But isn't it deflected by Physical Armor, so until you widdle that down it won't work? At least it doesn't for me until I do.

Wabbits are the best.

You can only afflict chicken on someone with no physical armour. Annnd I'm pretty sure it doesn't negate existing magic armour. (It will completely disable them outside of movement though. Which is huge.)

Reivaxe

You've gotta change your tactics then. The Radeka fight is tough, partly due to the positioning and terrain. If you have any items, use them; if you have any approaches you haven't tried, use them; if you can get better gear, do that. The only other option is to walk away.

Slightly different tactics can make all the difference in battle, particularly once you know what you're up against.

My personal tactic (I was annihilated my first time around, this is my second attempt):
I used Polymorpher to fly up beside Radeka with my rogue. With Adrenalin and backstabs, I was able to pierce her armour and knock her down. Then I chickened her next turn, and ruptured her. She died a turn later while running away. There were a few attacks thrown her way to finish the job IIRC.

The rest of my teammates were taking down the healer zombie in the pit and working to slow or armour break the flying bugs (to later disable them). I gave my crossbowman high ground before the battle--he was key for eliminating the healer and bugs.The melee zombies weren't too much of a problem, spending the majority of their time on fire or slowed.

The only problem was keeping my crossbowman alive during the fight. The bugs really wanted him dead. But with Radeka and the healer out of the way, it was simple crowd control from there onward.

I did the same,
but I put everyone on high ground before the match started and used my assassin to sneak up behind her and start things off with a crit stab. Backstab to the cliff, go ham, chicken, have a Blood Summon land the last blow, clock and dagger to the cliff with the rest. Bam, just played king of the hill until it was over. Had to have Fane play dead until the end ... they REALLY wanted him dead.

I hear you can also just pick pocket the wand off her and not fight to.

Check your crafting recipes, under armor. If it's the stone I'm thinking of you have a new named recipe there.

Ah so
"The Mask of the Shapeshifter" is different than "Fane's Mask of the Shapeshifter"? I've had the latter most of the game so it didn't occur to me that I would need to craft the former.

Unfortunately I don't have him.

spad3

So I just finished
the Alexander fight with one of my friends, and we didn't expect to see that giant voidwoken worm come up in the middle of the fight. My buddy and I simply kept our distance from the worm and that thing did work on Alex and friends. We waited until the worm killed off Alex and friends, and during that time frame, they ended up taking out about 75% of the Worm's health, completely burning through its armor. I chicken it and my buddy and I take it out like cakewalk.

I fucking love this game.

Lanrutcon

Ah so
"The Mask of the Shapeshifter" is different than "Fane's Mask of the Shapeshifter"? I've had the latter most of the game so it didn't occur to me that I would need to craft the former.

Yup, but...there should be another recipe. Body armor. Or you haven't found all the stones yet.

Also: (chapter 3 end fight spoilers)

When your god manifests, berates you, and then you make him and his little friends eat a sequence of end game abilities totaling 10s of thousands of damage. Get fucked, Duna.

Moff

are there any important npcs in act 2 I should leave alive?
I already planned to slaughter every npc in act 1 but stopped at some point.
I am glad I did because sheila showed up again and provided one of the best moments in the game to me where I
refused to become a tree, basically told them to fuck off and that I will NEVER be a slave again, before I slaughtered them all.

Type2

So I’m running a mage built to do damage and a support style summoner. Is it best to have them with opposing schools of mage or complementary ones?
For instance my mage is pyro heavy with a good bit of geo but my summoner always goes first and he’s the aero/hydro guy. I feel like he could be setting up my mage to nuke when he’s not bringing up his summon.

Also act 2 is amazing! I feel like the map is huge and the list of things to do is long.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Can someone advise how to reorder your character portraits? I like my PC to be on the top, but for the life of me, can't figure out this system on controller (in the party L2 area, they keep swapping somewhat at random when linking and unlinking each member of the party).

Heigic

Can combo it with Rupture Tendons too. The target will spend their entire turn moving.

Reivaxe

Torn between going with a complete
villain path next play through or playing it straight with a different character ... or making my own character.

Can someone advise how to reorder your character portraits? I like my PC to be on the top, but for the life of me, can't figure out this system on controller (in the party L2 area, they keep swapping somewhat at random when linking and unlinking each member of the party).

I forget the exact buttons but hold Left Trigger to bring up the character selection wheel and then one of the options should allow you to swap people around.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I forget the exact buttons but hold Left Trigger to bring up the character selection wheel and then one of the options should allow you to swap people around.

I do this, but it seems to swap people at random a bit...like there's no definitive way to reorder your group (i'll try again though): I'm playing 100% with controller so def wanna sort it for that control method :)

I do this, but it seems to swap people at random a bit...like there's no definitive way to reorder your group (i'll try again though): I'm playing 100% with controller so def wanna sort it for that control method :)

IIRC you are swapping with the character directly above or below you. So you need to select character->swap-> select different character-> swap, etc.

cevion

I'm not running with a rogue.

Have Ifan as a ranger and my best dps, then fane as the melee dps, which is what made this fight so hard because he's undead and using his geomancer poison would heal not only him, but all the undead that were around him.

Then had Lohse as my mage/healer for humans and Red Prince as CC tank.

I am really thinking about changing Lohse though to a rogue, because it seems much more worthwhile with the armor system to have a full party of physical or magic. Lohse is never able to use her spells to damage anyone because she's the only one with magic dmg really, so all her cc-combo's get blocked most of the time.

In act 1 running a full phys/magic team might seem compelling, but as soon as you reach Act 2, gain access to more skills and face new enemies you'll be glad you diversified into both magic and physical. Some enemies have really high magic armor, while others have high physical. Getting one point of pyro/geo/aero/huntsman and two points of poly on most, if not all characters is also not a bad idea.

Around lvl 10, you should have enough points to branch out on most your characters and grab Haste, Fortify, Restoration, Magic Armor, Cloak, Wings, Tactical Retreat, Medusa Head and Tentacle Lash etc (Tentacle + Medusa head are really strong and the latter is nice on your melee/tank since it does magic damage and scales with strength. Magic arrows help your Rangers do magic damage, and there's always grenades) Aero. at 2 points gives you access to, arguably the best spell in the game - teleport, along with Uncanny Evasion, which gives the caster 100% evasion for 1 turn, plus some magic shock/stuns.

Skills to get on a caster that does phys damage: Equip a Shield + Shield Throw (1 pt warfare, and a free "Shield's Up", which restores both armor types for 2 AP) Most necro skills (if not all) do phys damage, like mosquito swarm, which also heals the caster. The necro skill "Summon Bloated corpse" can be useful in early game, since you can detonate it for some good physical AoE damage.

Consider making one character a summoner (doesn't have to be a caster since summoning only scales with summoning, not int. At 10 summoning your "Summon Incarnate" will gain immense power. By casting your summon anywhere on the ground, he will do phys damage. Summoning him in an area affected by elemental effects, such as fire/water, will make him do magic damage, and give him one unique skill pertaining to the element you summoned him in (Fireball, Restoration etc). You can further infuse your summon with melee skills and phys armor, or ranged skills and magic armor. Very versatile, and really strong! (he also comes with attack of opportunity)

I would advice on making Fane your caster/ranger, so he can poison himself safely away from enemy Undead, but that's totally your call. (You get infinite amount of free respecs in act 2).

I would further suggest rolling with 1 summoner and 1 caster (both ranged with shields), one ranger and then a melee dps. Go 2H on that tank if you want damage, or shield for survivability (or just go 2 rangers, the warfare tree has some nice knockdowns and other skills that require a melee weapon though). Rangers are crazy powerful in the current state of the game. I just did a regular hit for 814 damage, (which was 70% of that enemies hp for reference) with Ballistic Shot at lvl 13, so you could probably skip the "tank" and just have your Summon tank. (You can put "Stench" on every character except your tank to get them to focus the tank. If your squishies are dying alot, maybe get them "Comeback Kid")

Finally, the talent "The Pawn" gives you free moment, making it possible to move for 0 AP.
(Wow this became much longer than I meant for it to be. Sorry! I hope some of it helped you, or at least someone out there! Good luck, and have fun! :)

(edit: If you give your non-casters some skills that do Magic Damage, or roll a second caster, Lohse will be able to get that magic armor down. Otherwise you could make her your summoner and just focus on giving her basic necro skills for phys damage, or just equip a Crossbow on her and do auto attacks (that's what I did with my casters in act 1, IIRC low level crossbows only requires 10 or so Finesse) Some status effects ignores Magic Armor as well.)

Can combo it with Rupture Tendons too. The target will spend their entire turn moving.

Interestingly, they'll sometimes not, even though they should be forced to. Seems a bit random.

But yeah as I mentionned earlier the polymorph disables are pretty strong, especially when you compare to other disables.

Chicken Claw, while it requires no phys armor, will disable for a whole 2 turns and seemingly nothing I've seen seems to have immunity to this effect. This is very potent on rogue characters and to some extent on warriors, but for my rogue for example it's fairly easy on first turn to both rip the whole phys armor of a boss and apply chicken claw. Haste from my buff char means I have 5AP, use Flesh Sacrifice for +1AP and 10% dmg, use 1AP to move to the boss, generally from The Pawn free movement + Backlash for a free hit+some movement), then use 4AP to rip the armor and adrenaline to chicken claw, leaves 1AP to chameleon cloak or throw chloroform at another mob which will generally also disable them if they're a melee type character(low magic armor so it removes all of it and sleep them).

Medusa Head is an sustained aoe, similar to Blinding Radiance, that will petrify everything in a kinda small area around your character if they fail a magic armor roll, but it lasts for 2turns(which means it'll paralyze anything taking their turn after you, then last for 2 more turns). Petrify unlike the first game also doesn't ruin your physical damage since there's no damage reduction armor anymore. If you group mobs together and rip their magical armor with say some strong fire magic combos, having someone with medusa head can effectively CC all of them for 2-3turns by just standing next to them for a 2AP cost once. It also provides some passive benefits(immunity to petrify, 50%earth resist, +1geo) and opens another active that will do very high earth damage in a large aoe(think contamination/global cooling/ignite aoe range) and will then try to petrify everything hit(which lets you petrify stuff not in range too).

Finally Spider Legs is an interesting one, costs 1AP to activate for no real bonus, but then you can use another active for 3turns for 1AP again, similar to wings, that will cast Enwebbed in a small aoe. The good thing about Enwebbed is it applies without an armor check, so it works even on turn 1. The bad thing is it only disables movement and movement skills, so ranged units will still be able to attack you, however with careful placement, you can disable melee units and they simply won't be able to do anything, unless you're close enough that they can hit you with Blitz or Backlash(both of which aren't disabled even though they move you). This is situational, but in those situations can be extremely potent since you basically can disable melee units for 3turns, and if you stack them with Teleport, you can disable a bunch of them. You can also disable ranged units by webbing them when they don't have line of sight, like if they were moving or started in a cover position or whatever.

Overall these 3 abilities have let me trivialize a lot of encounters. I don't use them all in every fight, I often only use Medusa, but the options they provide can be invaluable in tougher fights. Between these and more traditional CC such as I mentionned before, chloroform which is very potent against melee types especially from high ground or rain > winterblast on a target without good magic armor(even with the half int from being my wits char, my support mage will remove all magic armor with winterblast due to having 18hydro) which with affinity only costs 2AP and obviously shield throw > stomp, I'll often waste a lot of the enemy turns. Probably not the fastest way to resolve fights, but it's pretty efficient, although not nearly as efficient as the aoe in the first game(but then again unlike the first game there aren't nearly as many fights with like 12targets).

sadblob

Just got the "easiest" ending of the game, it has been an amazing journey. Larian has surpassed every expectation I had with this game.

Now I'll reload my last save and explore the other options.

EDIT: oh cool, the other option is bugged...

Stevey

Was wondering why I kept missing shots with my new crossbow.
I have the relevant stat to equip it, but it is 2 levels higher than me, reducing my accuray by 40%

Okay, restarted and decided to do an Origin story. Playing as Sebille. I killed The Red Prince right away on the beach, lol. Fun to roleplay as these characters.

Chaos17

It was painful watching everyone but Dan complain about D:OS2 on the GI Show. Too much freedom, too much reading,

I felt the same way in chapter 1, it was cool to
have different way of escaping but in the end there was no build up, you can even kill all the magister in the fort that the game won't even reflect that, they were just fooders for me to exp. I would've preferred less freedom and more story like in the ship in the beginning so I would be able to actually feel the story.

cevion

Interestingly, they'll sometimes not, even though they should be forced to. Seems a bit random.

But yeah as I mentionned earlier the polymorph disables are pretty strong, especially when you compare to other disables.

Chicken Claw, while it requires no phys armor, will disable for a whole 2 turns and seemingly nothing I've seen seems to have immunity to this effect. This is very potent on rogue characters and to some extent on warriors, but for my rogue for example it's fairly easy on first turn to both rip the whole phys armor of a boss and apply chicken claw. Haste from my buff char means I have 5AP, use Flesh Sacrifice for +1AP and 10% dmg, use 1AP to move to the boss, generally from The Pawn free movement + Backlash for a free hit+some movement), then use 4AP to rip the armor and adrenaline to chicken claw, leaves 1AP to chameleon cloak or throw chloroform at another mob which will generally also disable them if they're a melee type character(low magic armor so it removes all of it and sleep them).

Medusa Head is an sustained aoe, similar to Blinding Radiance, that will petrify everything in a kinda small area around your character if they fail a magic armor roll, but it lasts for 2turns(which means it'll paralyze anything taking their turn after you, then last for 2 more turns). Petrify unlike the first game also doesn't ruin your physical damage since there's no damage reduction armor anymore. If you group mobs together and rip their magical armor with say some strong fire magic combos, having someone with medusa head can effectively CC all of them for 2-3turns by just standing next to them for a 2AP cost once. It also provides some passive benefits(immunity to petrify, 50%earth resist, +1geo) and opens another active that will do very high earth damage in a large aoe(think contamination/global cooling/ignite aoe range) and will then try to petrify everything hit(which lets you petrify stuff not in range too).

I'll have to give chicken claw a shot - I have it on my warrior but not memorized atm. You seem to have a nice setup going up - awesome! :)

Wholeheartedly agree with you that Medusa Head is frickin' amazeballs! What's nice with Polymorph is that many skills scale with the same stat as whatever weapon you have equipped (barring some exceptions). Medusa Head has amazing range, does good damage and, as you said, buffs your earth res by 50% makes you immune to petrify and on top of that petrifies, with no downsides. Honestly think it's a bit OP (but so are Rangers, so I'll shut my mouth) I mean, stuff like flesh sacrifice gives you some -con, and Skin Graft costs source. Med. Head doesn't seem to have a downside.

Gotta love the Tentacles as well, my warrior hits like a truck with that. The added Atrophy is nice, depending on what type of enemy you're fighting, ofc.

Didn't have a chance to try out spider legs yet! Sounds like a promising and interesting disable, given that it ignores armor.

Thinking I should respecc my 2h-warrior to a rogue tbh. I really want to use Rupture Tendrils/Backstab and other Scoundrel skill books. I'll still be able to use most warfare talents anyway, right? My highest damage dealer atm is my Ranger (kinda boring though), with my Summoner as second and Warrior sharing third place with my pyro/geo. Warrior obviously lacks the AoE and utility of my Pyro/Geo, and pulling of combos with casters can be really satisfying. Warrior has a ton of Phys Armor and good single target DPS + knockdowns. Lacking some magic armor, but that can be solved by buffs. Looking forward to getting Winterblast, and toying around with that. Big fan of shield throw too!

Damn this game is addictive, and the combat is so darn enjoyable! Night everyone!

You need more wit, I think something like 20, for that specific quest. Regardless, you should level wit in some char to find treasure and hidden switches.

Just a friendly reminder that peace of mind buffs your wits by something like +6, if you're far away in stat points. I agree with you on leveling wits for finding hidden stuff though, even if it might not be the best option for min-maxing in combat.

edit: Oh, beaten about the Peace of Mind thing. I wonder what affects how much wits you get from it, maybe straight up your level?

spad3

This just in: Infinite Damage Combo being removed in upcoming patch.

Requirements for the combo:
1 Undead Necromancer w/ Necromancer 2
> Shackles of Pain Skill
> Living on the Edge Skill

1 Summoner (any race) w/ Summoning 2
> Soul Mate Skill
> Life Leech Passive
> Rallying Cry / any form of healing

The way it works:

1. Undead Necromancer uses Shackles of Pain on enemy.
|| Shackles of Pain > Mark a target. Target receives the same damage as you this turn.

2. Undead Necromancer uses Living on the Edge on self.
|| Living on the Edge > Target's health cannot drop below 1 for 2 turns.

3. Summoner uses Soul Mate on Undead Necromancer
|| Soul Mate > Target gets half of the healing and armor restoration you get for 2 turns

4. Summoner uses Rallying Cry / Heals Self
|| Rallying Cry > Target heals Vitality and M Armor based on the # of allies/totems nearby

TRIGGER

Trigger 1: Because of Soul Mate, Summoner using Rallying Cry/healing himself/herself causes the Necromancer to receive healing as well.

Trigger 2: Because of the fact that the Necromancer is Undead, he/she receives DAMAGE instead of health.

Trigger 3: Because Undead took damage, whichever enemy that was marked with Shackles receives the amount damage equal to the amount of damage taken by Undead.

Trigger 4: Because Soul Mate did damage to a target, the Summoner's Leech Life passive ability heals the Summoner

Trigger 5: Because Summoner healed health from Leech Life, Soul Mate triggers again causing Undead to receive damage again.

Trigger 6: Because Undead took damage again, marked enemy takes damage again.

Trigger 7: This loops until Undead's health hits 0 and di---oh wait what's this? Undead can't die this turn because of Living on the Edge. Thanks to that ability, the Undead Necromancer stays at 1 Vitality regardless of how much damage is taken. Because the damage taken is never-ending, the enemy simply eats all the damage and dies.

bati

Ah so

What does this mean exactly though? Aren't they functionally the same? I actually wouldn't mind being able to
transform permanently, which is what Fane's mask doesn't allow, you revert to original form if you take it off.

spad3

Admittedly that's kind of amazing considering how free the combat system is... you know, that there was enough latitude to be that creative.

Hilariously enough, the producer of the game David Walgrave said it's part of the game so it's whatever. But Larian is patching it out anyways.

Quote:

"It appears that it is not a never-ending loop and you're not doing anything else while you're doing it," ... "It's not like you're damaging anything for free without spending action points. If I understand this trick, it's still within the purposeful synergies of our skills and usually these are accounted for."

Source

How the F do you beat the final boss in Act 1?
Everytime Alexander summons the Void worm it keeps doing these AoE attacks and wipes out half my party, along with Magister rangers doing ricochet to finish anyone else off. And they're simply too high up for me to teleport to them
. Really annoying boss fight, I've been at this for hours now and I've just about had enough.

Vamphuntr

That final battle was hot thrash yikes. Unless there was something I wasn't getting I had high initiative and they keep acting before you anyway.

Everytime Alexander summons the Void worm it keeps doing these AoE attacks and wipes out half my party, along with Magister rangers doing ricochet to finish anyone else off. And they're simply too high up for me to teleport to them
. Really annoying boss fight, I've been at this for hours now and I've just about had enough.

When
the worm arrives get your party to high ground and away from the worm. That shout let the magisters and worm fight each other without your involvement. Then mop up whoever is left over.

That final battle was hot thrash yikes. Unless there was something I wasn't getting I had high initiative and they keep acting before you anyway.

Initiative is worthless and only determines your order within the party. Turns will always alternate between ally and enemy.

Reivaxe

Here's my maybe-not-so-useful tips...

I tried it a ton and when the Void Worm comes say you have to walk together to kill it ... the other one FEELS like it makes them far more aggro towards you.
When the worm comes, ONLY BOTHER FIGHTING THEM. Let them fight the worm and get it low ... you focus on attacking them.
Break your team up before the fight starts. Put the people meant for high places on the highest place and teleport the Morph Woman off of the building as soon as you can once things start.
Try to kill their goon asap, that thing hits like a tuck. Alex may seem like a good idea but he's more of a leader-through-support type, that THING is scary. I used my assassin to basically fuck him up at the start of the fight and stealth outta their aggro.

At the end of my match I had my whole team on the roof, hiding from it ... as it attacked totems and my summon at 1/5 hp.

Anyway, I'm having trouble with draft wood.
Cutting that woman down brings ... LEVEL 12 ENEMIES!?!?! I'm only level 9 :mad:

spad3

I posted this earlier:

I just finished the Alexander fight with one of my friends, and we didn't expect to see that giant voidwoken worm come up in the middle of the fight. My buddy and I simply kept our distance from the worm and that thing did work on Alex and friends. We waited until the worm killed off Alex and friends, and during that time frame, they ended up taking out about 75% of the Worm's health, completely burning through its armor. I chicken it and my buddy and I take it out like cakewalk.

Here's how we approached:
The idea is that you want to put as much space as possible between yourself and Alex, the Magister Knight, + the Magister Rangers. So head up top by where the Magister Wizard is standing. Take that Wizard out and step to the bottom of the ladder that's nearby the Wizard. By this time, Alex and the Magister Knight will be relatively closeby, the Knight probably right next to you. Climb up the ladder to the upper rooftop and either fortify, go invisible, equip wings, play dead, whatever. Just get ready to GTFO. Around this time, the worm will pop up on the lower rooftop around where Alex and the Knight are. The worm will attack Alex and Knight. The Rangers will focus their fire on the worm, same with Alex (who will cast Blinding to attempt to disrupt the worm, it won't work), and same with the Knight. Use this distraction to circle around behind the archers on the opposite side of the courtyard. Stay away from the rooftops during these practically free movements as much as possible because otherwise the worm will relocate. Take out the Rangers, and by this time, the Knight will be dead and Alex will be on his last little segment of health. He'll die on the worm's turn, and the worm by this point in time will have all its physical armor eaten through and about 45-60% health left. From here it's a fairly simple fight with the worm. It's immune to petrify, knockdown, and a few other statuses but it's not immune to chicken, necrofire, and poison. The fight is easy enough, just let the worm do the work for you.

Top Bottom