• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Azzanadra

How's the writing/story in this one? I heard the first one didn't have the best story/writing which is why I picked up Pillars of Eternity instead, but I found PoE to be quite a slog...

How's the writing/story in this one? I heard the first one didn't have the best story/writing which is why I picked up Pillars of Eternity instead, but I found PoE to be quite a slog...

PoE amd OS1 have almost the exact opposite flaws and strengths in their writing.

OS1 lacks characterization and world building, while PoS lacks finesse and has all sorts of pacing issues.

Moff

A lot better but still one of the weakest parts of the game

Staf

As a console player who love OS1 it hurts reading this thread... Quick someone post something negative about OS2!

The first game was... slow to put it nicely. There was good writing, but you had to work for it. This one is so much better with its pacing, characterization, and overall flare that it feels like people with far more knowledge or talent were steering the development this time around and took all the stuff the first game did right and exclusively built on that.

The characters are real characters. There's a genuine feel of life to the world. And theres some seriously good dialogue and narration throughout the entirety, instead of just locked to specific encounters. It feels way more like PoE/Tyranny writing and characterization, mixed with the world building and overall nature of D:OS's best portions.

Quick someone post something negative about OS2!
It's undeniably linked to OS1.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
As a console player who love OS1 it hurts reading this thread... Quick someone post something negative about OS2!

The inventory management is garbage.

Everything consumable you pick up is automatically added to and clutters your hotbars.

The quest journal bugs out and quests don't close properly.

They could add a lot of nice quality of life features like lucky charm being an aura so I don't have to constantly switch to that character just to loot things.

Everything consumable you pick up is automatically added to and clutters your hotbars.

They could add a lot of nice quality of life features like lucky charm being an aura so I don't have to constantly switch to that character just to loot things.

I agree with all of this, though issue #2 and #4 don't really affect me.

I had my first AI debacle tonight. At the northern part of the island in Act One, I encountered a battle among
magisters
and an NPC. Conversation initiated as soon as the battle ended. Unfortunately, rather than gather nicely around the conversation, the three characters I was not controlling decided to go stand in an area of the map that resulted in their immediate demise. I had not saved since the start of battle, and it was too long a battle too late at night for me to contemplate replaying. I had a bunch of restoration scrolls on hand, so I guess it was no big deal. But I'm not happy about it.

Stiler

So just went through the gargoyle maze (almost didn't do it thinking I was done with the island then saw I hadn't went there), anyone tell me:

When you go through a portal just after the historian fight you go into this cave, over on the far side there's a corpse and a skillbook. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get there. I have polymorph wings and no matter where I stood there was no way for me to even try to fly over to the rocks and make my way there. Is there something I'm missing?

So just went through the gargoyle maze (almost didn't do it thinking I was done with the island then saw I hadn't went there), anyone tell me:

When you go through a portal just after the historian fight you go into this cave, over on the far side there's a corpse and a skillbook. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get there. I have polymorph wings and no matter where I stood there was no way for me to even try to fly over to the rocks and make my way there. Is there something I'm missing?

I was able to get over there with Tactical Retreat.

Teleport and Tactical Retreat have been the answer to most of these sorts of issues. You can bs your way around most obstacles with one or the other so far as ive seen.

cevion

What are some useful combos that aren't so obvious?

Just today in PCGamer I was reading about using Chicken Claw combined with Rupture Tendons.

We discussed some of these the other day.

Bloated Corpse + Flaming Crescendo. Fiery undead bomb!

Blood Rain + Poison Nova + Ignite = Bleed/Poison/Burning on everything around you. (edit: Removed Medusa Head - thanks to Jisgsaw!)

*Spell to apply burning/necrofire* + Spontanous Combustion (obvious one but posting it anyway since it's so good) (add Torturer talent for more damage on these two last ones)

Fortify + heart of steel/bone cage + shackles of pain (since reactive armor hurts the caster) + reactive armor. Reactive armor was nerfed but I think this one still can do good damage, just stack armor any way you can then haste the caster for enough AP to set off the combo. (You could also sub in Whirlpool and/or Guardian Angel)

Lanrutcon posted about Enrage + Arrow spray for insane damage, but that one might also be "obvious".

Would love to hear more!

One question from me: So my 2h-warrior can't use the majority of scoundrel skills. But the warfare skills work with daggers, right? Like Battering Ram/Battle Stomp? I'm tempted to respecc my 2h-warrior into a rogue, although that means re-gearing her completely.

Maximo

Getting Comeback Kid and a Idol Of Rebirth for each character has made Tactician alot more manageable, comeback kid in itself is nuts.

Getting Comeback Kid and a Idol Of Rebirth for each character has made Tactician alot more manageable, comeback kid in itself is nuts.

Does comeback kid replenish your armors to full as well?

I mean, it's gonna be silly if you're resurrected but got stunlocked immediately before its turn.

Well I killed
The Doctor
in Act 4. Apparently I missed finding
Jahan
underneath the house. Is he supposed to be on the main dungeon level or the level below with the stuck barrel? If the former he wasn't there, I did encounter the bard from Act 2 though. Think
Jahan
only appears there if you have Lohse which kinda sucks as I love his character and used him as a Source Master.

Maximo

I've got one Idol Of Rebirth, where can I find more? :)

If you got it from *The Kiss* just talk to her for each member

Does comeback kid replenish your armors to full as well?

I mean, it's gonna be silly if you're resurrected but got stunlocked immediately before its turn.

Comeback kid doesn't its like Death's Door from Darkest Dungeon brings you back to a certain health percentage from a killing blow, Idol then kicks in after and THEN you get Comeback kid again, I shall never fear death again! I actually have 2 on my main character (one from looting her after) so I have deaths door, idol, deaths door, idol, deaths door again...fuckin bonkers.

StarkFist

I enjoyed the combat in D:OS but the pacing felt dazzlingly bad. I hate back tracking to suss out where to go after an impossible fight, when your journal provides no hints. It also felt too linear despite the big maps. Is this alleviated at all in the sequel? I just don't want to deal with quite so much aggressive time wasting.

Reani

I've got one Idol Of Rebirth, where can I find more? :)
i heard that there is also a glitch: if you put idol in backpack, when you die you'll keep original version while getting new one in your main inventory. i didnt verify that though as i believe this item is broken as fuck as it is, and having one is more than enough.

z3phon

Gamespot review mentions that you can create your own character or pick 1 of 6 provided characters who have their own backstory. Does this mean if i create a custom character I will be missing out on backstory similar to the 6 provided?

Gamespot review mentions that you can create your own character or pick 1 of 6 provided characters who have their own backstory. Does this mean if i create a custom character I will be missing out on backstory similar to the 6 provided?

More or less, yes. The origins that you do not pick as your main character, do return as companions though.

Leezard

You won't get the custom sidequests that the pre-created characters have with your custom character, but you can let up to 3 pre-created characters join your team so you can experience their sidequests anyway.

No, those 6 premade characters can be chosen as your party members.

danthefan

The inventory really is hot garbage.

_Clash_

I enjoyed the combat in D:OS but the pacing felt dazzlingly bad. I hate back tracking to suss out where to go after an impossible fight, when your journal provides no hints. It also felt too linear despite the big maps. Is this alleviated at all in the sequel? I just don't want to deal with quite so much aggressive time wasting.

not really, for example the layout of Act 1 is a bit of an adventure park. I explored everything, then sort of figured out what had to be done.

The maps are usually a bit of a puzzle themselves

Leezard

Does this mean everyone has changed their minds and OS1 is now required to play before 2?

I'm about 6 hours into OS2 now after skipping the first :/

Nah. There are some references and a couple returning characters, but you can play OS2 before OS1 without issues.

Does this mean everyone has changed their minds and OS1 is now required to play before 2?

OS2 takes place 1200 years after OS1, you have like 2 characters that return as minor side characters. I haven't actually beat OS1 yet and I have a good grip of the narrative so far, it does make me want to finish OS1 though.

cevion

If you got it from *The Kiss* just talk to her for each member

Ah crap, I did that quest in the beginning of act 2 on all my members but chose the stat options. I then stole it on my main. It triggered twice since death, but last fight I died and the idol didn't trigger, so I guess it's gone :/

(My inventory is so cluttered, if anyone know's what category the idol shows up under I'd be very happy to know. As people pointed out above, inventory management is my only big gripe with this otherwise amazing game)

Jisgsaw

Blood Rain + Poison Nova + Ignite = Bleed/Poison/Burning on everything around you. (edit: Add Medusa Head for even more damage and the chance to potentially petrify everything around you while they take damage from 3 dots). Unsure if petrified characters take DoT damage though, gonna test it out today.)

Petrifying should remove burning IIRC, so that would be counterproductive.

Ah crap, I did that quest in the beginning of act 2 on all my members but chose the stat options. I then stole it on my main. It triggered twice since death, but last fight I died and the idol didn't trigger, so I guess it's gone :/

(My inventory is so cluttered, if anyone know's what category the idol shows up under I'd be very happy to know. As people pointed out above, inventory management is my only big gripe with this otherwise amazing game)

The easiest way I found to find it is to go to crtafting recipe, under objects. You probably only have to recharge it.

Chaos17

No, you can totally skip the first, you don't need at all to play it. First game story is bad. The second game do a better job at telling it lol

cevion

Petrifying should remove burning IIRC, so that would be counterproductive.
Cheers! I suspected it would but wasn't sure. Edited my post above.

The easiest way I found to find it is to go to crtafting recipe, under objects. You probably only have to recharge it.
Ah, thank you so much! That's probably it! Beer and/or pizza on me if you're ever in my part of the woods!

edit: Sorry, could you clarify? I have so much shit in my inventory. I go to crafting, then under objects the only things that show up are "Tainted Stew". I had the Idol on Sebille and it worked before, wondering where the heck it is though.

Wonder if I can get a new one if I kill the spider chick? If anyone know's under what category the Ashen/Glowing Idol shows up under I'd be very thankful!

Lanrutcon

Reminder: in Act 3, use your spirit vision. Everywhere. All the time. There are some very powerful permanent bonuses you can get.

Sygma

Its honestly as good as Witcher 1, which is the best role playing experience out of the three games. Everything is enhanced, not just the writing. Its almost a blind buy at that point :D

Thanks for the tips, finally beat Act 1 final boss.

I did as people suggested and kept my distance from the worm letting the Magisters fight it, and reaching high ground to snipe down on the survivors.

Act 2 here I come!

Sygma

We discussed some of these the other day.

Bloated Corpse + Flaming Crescendo. Fiery undead bomb!

Blood Rain + Poison Nova + Ignite = Bleed/Poison/Burning on everything around you. (edit: Removed Medusa Head - thanks to Jisgsaw!)

*Spell to apply burning/necrofire* + Spontanous Combustion (obvious one but posting it anyway since it's so good) (add Torturer talent for more damage on these two last ones)

Fortify + heart of steel/bone cage + shackles of pain (since reactive armor hurts the caster) + reactive armor. Reactive armor was nerfed but I think this one still can do good damage, just stack armor any way you can then haste the caster for enough AP to set off the combo. (You could also sub in Whirlpool and/or Guardian Angel)

Lanrutcon posted about Enrage + Arrow spray for insane damage, but that one might also be "obvious".

Would love to hear more!

One question from me: So my 2h-warrior can't use the majority of scoundrel skills. But the warfare skills work with daggers, right? Like Battering Ram/Battle Stomp? I'm tempted to respecc my 2h-warrior into a rogue, although that means re-gearing her completely.

Can the explosion of flaming crescendo get buffed in extremis by Death wish ?

Also does it work with reactive armor ? like, no reason it wouldn't, right ? :p

MikeBison

Anyone worked out a reliable way to stop items you pick up going into your skill bar? If you unlock your bar you can drag the items to between the squares and it'll put it back in your inventory, but it's a nightmare. I don't want or need items on my skill bar other than my bedroll for quick access.

Also, how do you organise your skill bars. Ie, is there a way to move a skill to bar 2 without filling up bar 1?

Jisgsaw

Ok, so I found another thing that makes ranger OP compared to rogues: I keep finding crazy good crossbows (but like, really good: https://i.imgur.com/zbXFzEt.jpg ).
Meanwhile, I struggle to find even half decent daggers.

Cheers! I suspected it would but wasn't sure. Edited my post above.

Ah, thank you so much! That's probably it! Beer and/or pizza on me if you're ever in my part of the woods!

edit: Sorry, could you clarify? I have so much shit in my inventory. I go to crafting, then under objects the only things that show up are "Tainted Stew". I had the Idol on Sebille and it worked before, wondering where the heck it is though.

Wonder if I can get a new one if I kill the spider chick? If anyone know's under what category the Ashen/Glowing Idol shows up under I'd be very thankful!

Go in the crafting menu (G is the standard shortcut).
Then on the top, go into the recipe, instead of crafting.
There go in the "Object" section, you should have the recipe for the glowing idol of rebirth.
https://i.imgur.com/AgQmy5T.jpg
Or, I just checked, the idol of rebirth is one of the last objects in your inventory if you autosort it.

Anyone worked out a reliable way to stop items you pick up going into your skill bar? If you unlock your bar you can drag the items to between the squares and it'll put it back in your inventory, but it's a nightmare. I don't want or need items on my skill bar other than my bedroll for quick access.

Also, how do you organise your skill bars. Ie, is there a way to move a skill to bar 2 without filling up bar 1?

You can drag and drop skills and objects in and out of the skill bars (though it is sometime buggy, and will result in you unmemorizing some skills, always check if you do that).

Tovarisc

Ok, so I found another thing that makes ranger OP compared to rogues: I keep finding crazy good crossbows (but like, really good: https://i.imgur.com/zbXFzEt.jpg ).

Who ever was tasked with creation of Ranger kit and doing balance work on it went really ham where creators of other kits slapped something together at last second and didn't really bother to try.

Hyperbolic.

Basically: Larian, give your game one serious balance pass because wtf?

cevion

Wow! Nice one! I've found 2x20%crit crossbows, but nothing nearly as powerful like that :p (still five levels behind you though) I was considering respeccing my 2h-"tank"/warfare into Rogue. Maybe I should just go with a second ranger? I think I might try that actually, even if rangers aren't a blast to play (never tried rogue and heard they're very fun to play, although not nearly as strong)

Go in the crafting menu (G is the standard shortcut).
Then on the top, go into the recipe, instead of crafting.
There go in the "Object" section, you should have the recipe for the glowing idol of rebirth.
https://i.imgur.com/AgQmy5T.jpg
Or, I just checked, the idol of rebirth is one of the last objects in your inventory if you autosort it.
You can drag and drop skills and objects in and out of the skill bars (though it is sometime buggy, and will result in you unmemorizing some skills, always check if you do that).

Aye, I clearly see it in your screenshot, but I don't have the recipe in my game (yet). Also thank you for the info about where the item should show up with Autosort. Sadly it doesn't, so I must have lost it somehow. Ah, I'll manage, can't be arsed to reload 20 hours of Act 2 for redoing "Kiss of Death". Again, thanks for your time and clarification though!

edit: What does "+x% Cleave damage" on 2h-weapons do? Maybe I'm stupid or missing something but I've never found a skill called Cleave.

edit2: I found my ashen idol of rebirth! It was sitting in the middle of my intentory. Just need to find a recipe to make it work again! Thanks Jisgsaw!

Sygma

Wow! Nice one! I've found 2x20%crit crossbows, but nothing nearly as powerful like that :p (still five levels behind you though) I was considering respeccing my 2h-"tank"/warfare into Rogue. Maybe I should just go with a second ranger? I think I might try that actually, even if rangers aren't a blast to play (never tried rogue and heard they're very fun to play, although not nearly as strong)

Aye, I clearly see it in your screenshot, but I don't have the recipe in my game (yet). Also thank you for the info about where the item should show up with Autosort. Sadly it doesn't, so I must have lost it somehow. Ah, I'll manage, can't be arsed to reload 20 hours of Act 2 for redoing "Kiss of Death". Again, thanks for your time and clarification though!

edit: What does "+x% Cleave damage" on 2h-weapons do? Maybe I'm stupid or missing something but I've never found a skill called Cleave.

Cleave in other rpgs is aoe penetrating damage. Basically some hard hitting skills meant to hit one guy are actually hitting multiple targets on a wide cone. Could be the exact same thing here if you manage to have multiple enemies lined up. Try a whirlwind on multiple targets and see if you deal more damage, then try again with a single target ability

Top Bottom