• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Yeh, the part of my post that you didn't quote will explain that for you.

Read carefully.

Stoked to get home and play this, and I haven't felt that for a while.
But why play it now if the full thing releases in a couple of day's?
Patience is a virtue. One i'm tempted to fail horribly at this time but i'm trying to stay strong. Wouldn't have made it without M&M X. :p

But seriously, playing the early acces version now is just spoiling yourself. You know saves can't be transferred, right?
I'd recommend waiting. But whatever. I'm sure you'll have fun either way. :)

shiroryu

I bought the game, but will hold off on playing it till release (so hype, am starved for party-based RPGs).

So if I download the beta now from Steam, how much would the update at release be? Would it redownload the entire game then, or would be it just an incremental update?

Zakalwe

Banned
But why play it now if the full thing releases in a couple of day's?
Patience is a virtue. One i'm tempted to fail horribly at this time but i'm trying to stay strong. Wouldn't have made it without M&M X. :p

But seriously, playing the early acces version now is just spoiling yourself. You know saves can't be transferred, right?
I'd recommend waiting. But whatever. I'm sure you'll have fun either way. :)

Not going to wait, absolutely no way that's going to happen! :p

My friend and I will be playing a co-op game during beta anyway, we'll be saving our SP playthrough's for launch proper. I'd imagine we'll be playing through multiple times anyway if it's as good as it seems so I have no issues with losing my progress.

I'll probably play my SP game too, get a feel for the world and probably learn which characters I want to invest in.

There's so much replay value anyway from what we can see, I don't know why anyone would consider it spoiling when we'll be making multiple play throughs anyway!

I bought the game, but will hold off on playing it till release (so hype, am starved for party-based RPGs).

So if I download the beta now from Steam, how much would the update at release be? Would it redownload the entire game then, or would be it just an incremental update?

Read the thread, conflicting info.

If you have the data allowance, I'd recommend downloading it now just in case it's only a patch. No harm!

Sulik2

Yeah yeah, I know, I've played a ton of them too. I still kind of like grinding so I thought I'd ask.

Legitimate question, why do you enjoy grinding? Thats a sentiment that has always confused me. In a turned based game its just busy work to pad out the length of a game for developers who don't know how to balance properly. In action RPGs it makes more sense cause the combat itself is meant to be somewhat reflex based so mastery can be involved.

Zakalwe

Banned
Legitimate question, why do you enjoy grinding? Thats a sentiment that has always confused me. In a turned based game its just busy work to pad out the length of a game for developers who don't know how to balance properly. In action RPGs it makes more sense cause the combat itself is meant to be more skill based so mastery can be involved.

I love grinding in JRPGs, but I hate it in MMOs. Weird. I spent hours and hours grinding in FFX for no real reason other than I wanted to level up (wasn't stuck on a section or anything). Did the same in 7, 8, 9. Doing it in 5 now.

TWEWY as well.

In MMOs I find it extremely irritating. I have no idea why I like it in one instance and not another, and I have no idea why I like it at all.

aravuus

Legitimate question, why do you enjoy grinding? Thats a sentiment that has always confused me. In a turned based game its just busy work to pad out the length of a game for developers who don't know how to balance properly. In action RPGs it makes more sense cause the combat itself is meant to be somewhat reflex based so mastery can be involved.

Well it's more about the results than grinding itself, I like being overpowered as hell in RPGs. Grinding makes it feel like I kind of deserve to be op since I spent time killing the mooks over and over again, which is why I don't just simply play on the easiest difficulty.

Probably sounds a bit weird. It's why I couldn't get into GW2 after all, your level is forced down when going to the older areas, making even the earliest, easiest enemies a relative challenge on any level. Which is something some people like, just not me.

I love grinding in JRPGs, but I hate it in MMOs. Weird. I spent hours and hours grinding in FFX for no real reason other than I wanted to level up (wasn't stuck on a section or anything). Did the same in 7, 8, 9. Doing it in 5 now.

TWEWY as well.

In MMOs I find it extremely irritating. I have no idea why I like it in one instance and not another, and I have no idea why I like it at all.

Yeah I hate it in MMOs too. Which is why I mentioned GW2, it's the only MMO I've kind of liked.

syko de4d

I hope one of the first mod people work on is a day/night cycle. First version should be only a cosmetic effect, next versions will add more and more NPCs doing different stuff at different times and could effect gameplay, like easier sneaking at night.

But this will take time :D

Zukuu

Banned
I love grinding too (to a degree). It just feels like I'm getting a head start and showing the game the finger.

matmanx1

I want to stay involved with the thread here and support its visibility but at the same time I'm trying to go in as fresh as possible to the actual game. There's a fine line to be walked! =P

Seriously though, I hope Original Sin does gangbusters and has a very long tail and I hope the rest of the game is as good as the couple hours of the Beta that I have so far played. If it is then Original Sin might be the best overall cRPG that I have played in years. We'll see.

Zukuu

Banned
I want to stay involved with the thread here and support its visibility but at the same time I'm trying to go in as fresh as possible to the actual game. There's a fine line to be walked! =P

Seriously though, I hope Original Sin does gangbusters and has a very long tail and I hope the rest of the game is as good as the couple hours of the Beta that I have so far played. If it is then Original Sin might be the best overall cRPG that I have played in years. We'll see.
No one has the game yet, so there are no worries of being spoiled.

Zakalwe

Banned
What will you do when there's only two people left?

The answer, as always, is
rock, paper, scissors.

I trid PSS once, and the entire town started chasing me., I wasn't really paying attention. Now I'm scared of it.

You can split from your partner and explore the world completing parts separately, if my partner starts killing everything and I remain good, how will that affect things?

Will we be able to mod in gameplay to build on this idea?

I'm really looking forward to playing this. I couldn't have been happier to see it on sale the first day of the steam sale. Insta bought the deluxe version.

and people who bought it on steam will have the real version added automatically?

Devs said that early access (alpha/beta) keys will expire and you'l have to redeem a new key. Exception would be for those who bought into early access directly through Steam.

I trid PSS once, and the entire town started chasing me., I wasn't really paying attention. Now I'm scared of it.

You can split from your partner and explore the world completing parts separately, if my partner starts killing everything and I remain good, how will that affect things?

Will we be able to mod in gameplay to build on this idea?

I'd imagine you and your co-op partner are part of the same "Source Hunter adventurer" faction, so any reputation changes will affect the both of you.

For example, if Player 1 becomes hostile to the guards of city X, then they will attack both Player 1 and Player 2 (both Source Hunter adventurers) even though Player 2 was never present at the crime scene and never attacked them.

I don't know if modding can separate the two players into other factions. If it isn't possible in the game editor now, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to do it in the near future. Modders are clever like that. Or perhaps Larian themselves will add it in.

Has Larian commented on what sort of post-launch support DOS will have? (e.g. patches, expansions, or DLC)

Decado

Character points are split between three types - ...
All that is great as long as each point has a *significant* impact. Only then are the choices meaningful.

I haven't played enough to know for sure, but I get te impression they may. Exciting.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'd imagine you and your co-op partner are part of the same "Source Hunter adventurer" faction, so any reputation changes will affect the both of you.

For example, if Player 1 becomes hostile to the guards of city X, then they will attack both Player 1 and Player 2 (both Source Hunter adventurers) even though Player 2 was never present at the crime scene and never attacked them.

I don't know if modding can separate the two players into other factions. If it isn't possible in the game editor now, I'm sure someone will figure out a way to do it in the near future. Modders are clever like that.

This is what I'm hoping for. I have an idea for a story mode that requires each player to choose a side (light/dark as it were) and complete opposing quests where they eventually come to a head.

Would be amazing if this is possible.

I would relieve of a copy with my masculine wiles!

~*eyebrow wriggle*~

Sorry, they're already spoken for.

And now that I've started and seen all of the character development stuff, I really, really want to know what the final skill list is going to look like. Are there going to be more/different talents on release? What are the various weapon types (and are a sword and club functionally different)? So many questions, no one with answers yet.

If you bought it directly from Steam, you should be all set. If you Kickstarted, you'll apparently get a new key and the current one won't work.

How does that work? My friend Kickstarted it and I got his 2nd key (the one that gave 2 keys) and I activated it on Steam. So... I'd still need another one?

So from the tweet, it should be just an update and not have to re-do it entirely?

Keasar

I asked them on Twitter and they said it should just be an update

https://twitter.com/Echopl0x/status/481354466491236352

So they will update the Early Access versions to full release? Even the Alpha ones people got from LarianVault as a Kickstarter backer?

downloading now. Seems weird that the larian vault shows a seperate option for the full game tho.

Exactly, still got the alternative to pick a release key for either GOG.com or Steam or LarianVault. What about those?

Zukuu

Banned
So they will update the Early Access versions to full release? Even the Alpha ones people got from LarianVault as a Kickstarter backer?

apparently. My alpha / beta key, which I claimed for the first time just now, doesn't have a alpha / beta tag attached to it. 5gb download for me.

Echoplx

Exactly, still got the alternative to pick a release key for either GOG.com or Steam or LarianVault. What about those?

Right now everyone has the same app on Steam, where you got it doesn't matter. The only reason they are revoking Kickstarter keys is because they need to let people choose where they want the game after release.

The games data should remain on your computer after it's revoked, and when you reinstall it should just detect it again but It's hard to say for sure how this will work with the transition from beta to full release.

Noaloha

And now that I've started and seen all of the character development stuff, I really, really want to know what the final skill list is going to look like. Are there going to be more/different talents on release? What are the various weapon types (and are a sword and club functionally different)? So many questions, no one with answers yet.
Gameplay mechanic 'spoilers' only in the sense that I got this info using the PetPal trait-
A rat told me to use cudgels and coshes and the like against skeletons instead of swords and arrows.

Zukuu

Banned
Gameplay mechanic 'spoilers' only in the sense that I got this info using the PetPal trait-
A rat told me to use cudgels and coshes and the like against skeletons instead of swords and arrows.

that should be basic RPG knowledge. :p like water <> lightning, or fire <> water, light <> dark. etc

Keasar

Right now everyone has the same app on Steam, where you got it doesn't matter. The only reason they are revoking Kickstarter keys is because they need to let people choose where they want the game after release.

The games data should remain on your computer after it's revoked, and when you reinstall it should just detect it again but It's hard to say for sure how this will work with the transition from beta to full release.

Aha, so the install will remain and just need to be updated, but I need to register a release key first before playing. Got it.

Zukuu

Banned
Aha, so the install will remain and just need to be updated, but I need to register a release key first before playing. Got it.

maybe, it'll just give you the same steam key if you chose both as steam option? Maybe it won't be revoked if you don't get your "real" key for another platform. time will tell.

Oh I agree but I figured it was pertinent to one of HiddenWings' questions. :)

It's nice to know that edged weapons and blunt weapons are actually different damage types, rather than a "physical" that a lot of games go with. I find myself pleasantly surprised every time I take a close look at this game. I still want to know what the higher level skills are, so I know what to plan toward. In particular, the summon spider skill was pretty useful, what other summons does Geomancy have in it?

Zukuu

Banned
It's nice to know that edged weapons and blunt weapons are actually different damage types, rather than a "physical" that a lot of games go with. I find myself pleasantly surprised every time I take a close look at this game. I still want to know what the higher level skills are, so I know what to plan toward. In particular, the summon spider skill was pretty useful, what other summons does Geomancy have in it?
I know that each element has a different kind of Summon XXX Elemental. There is also Spiders and Undead Soldiers afaik.

VandalD

How does that work? My friend Kickstarted it and I got his 2nd key (the one that gave 2 keys) and I activated it on Steam. So... I'd still need another one?

So from the tweet, it should be just an update and not have to re-do it entirely?
Now with what everyone else is saying, I'm not so sure. I hope it's just an update with no extra key needed and I can just patch what I've got, being that bandwidth is a bit limited for me. Guess we'll just have to see.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
To clear up all the download code confusion.

If you kickstarted the game and got an alpha/beta key, you will need a new key for the actual release that Larian will provide for you.

Everyone else who purchased the game will not need a new key.

Larian said:
Steam Early Access codes will expire on release

Everybody who backed us on Kickstarter received a Steam Early Access code. We promised however that you'll be able to select which platform you want to receive your digital download on, so on the day of release, the Kickstarter Early Access codes will stop working and you'll need to log in to the Larian Vault to select which platform you want to play on. You will then get a new code.

If you purchased the game on Steam Early Access, don't worry, your codes will keep on working. This message only applies to the Steam Early Access codes that were given away to our backers.

epmode

That doesn't clear up whether or not Kickstarter backers will have to actually reinstall the game with the new key. I can't think of any other Steam games I played that were deactivated automatically so I have nothing to compare.

If you kickstarted the game and got an alpha/beta key, you will need a new key for the actual release that Larian will provide for you.

Everyone else who purchased the game will not need a new key.

Pretty lame, but okay.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That doesn't clear up whether or not Kickstarter backers will have to actually reinstall the game with the new key. I can't think of any other Steam games I played that were deactivated automatically so I have nothing to compare.

I'm pretty sure that means you'll need to redownload if you're a kickstarter backer.

Top Bottom