• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Corpekata

Banned
Are we looking at a 10 AM release for this? I'm guessing we are but they somehow did a midnight launch for Dragon Commander, so hoping we might see it here too.

Santiako

It's nice to know that edged weapons and blunt weapons are actually different damage types, rather than a "physical" that a lot of games go with. I find myself pleasantly surprised every time I take a close look at this game. I still want to know what the higher level skills are, so I know what to plan toward. In particular, the summon spider skill was pretty useful, what other summons does Geomancy have in it?

There are Piercing, Slashing and Crushing damages depending on the weapon. Summons I've seen air elementals, so I assume all schools have at least that.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
My hype level has reached the point where I'm starting to vibrate through solid matter. 6 days is too long.

You hear me Sven, TOO LONG.

Durante

To clear up all the download code confusion.

If you kickstarted the game and got an alpha/beta key, you will need a new key for the actual release that Larian will provide for you.

Everyone else who purchased the game will not need a new key.
This makes sense. I don't see how they could have let KS backers chose between GoG and Steam otherwise.

brian!

hey sorry if this has been answered
but if I load up the beta right now, would that function as a pseudo preload?

~Kinggi~

Banned
hey sorry if this has been answered
but if I load up the beta right now, would that function as a pseudo preload?
There seems to be confusion.

For some weird reason it sounds like the retail release is going to be a separate download for KS people instead of just upgrading the existing entry. What happens to the newly dead entry, who knows, i hope it disappears. Should do it like all the other KS games where they auto-upgrade to a final release.

Durante

For some weird reason it sounds like the retail release is going to be a separate download for KS people instead of just upgrading the existing entry.
The "weird reason" being that they promised KS backers a selection of multiple distribution options, and not to lock them into Steam even if they tried the Beta.

Durante

First true RPG coming out this year after all. Ignoring South Park RPG.... but honestly that was more of snack.
might_c.jpeg
dragonfallKeyArt.png
?

They may not be DIvinity-tier, but especially M&MX is certainly a "true RPG".

Mashing

I just realized this game is coming out the day I start my vacation. Best timing ever

Awwww snap, me too. Of course I've bought so many fucking games during Steam's and GoG's summer sales.

Edit: Ahh, Dragonfall, I'm playing that right now actually. I didn't realize the creator of the Shadowrun universe was at Harebrained Studios. No wonder the writing is fucking fantastic. But I digress.

petghost

Banned
Talk to me about backstabbing. Is the rogue-ish class in this game dps centric or more of a utility class like 2nd edition?

ZoddGutts

Eh, I see MXM more as a dungeon crawler with turn based and the Shadowrun games linear as hell, they were made for tablets too afterall. I'm sticking with D:OS being the first true RPG for this year!

lokeloski

Bought this game on Summer Sales Day 1, played for a couple hours and didn't regret the money spent.
Funny enough, a few hours later I received my beta key for Wasteland 2, so I went and played a couple hours too.
I have to say... after playing D:OS, W2 felt very clunky. Got lost in their interface more than once, while in D:OS everything was beautiful and pretty and perfect.

Also, my first thought after playing D:OS was "holy sh*t, this is like of U7, but better". The interaction with the scenery and the crafting were the highlight points.
Oh, and I
put out a fire that was destroying a boat using a Scroll of Rain. That was really "wow...".

Eh, I see MXM more as a dungeon crawler with turn based and the Shadowrun games linear as hell, they were made for tablets too afterall. I'm sticking with D:OS being the first true RPG for this year!

Linearity is not a mark against a true RPG.

Oh, and I
put out a fire that was destroying a boat using a Scroll of Rain. That was really "wow...".
That's exactly how I planned to solve it, but I completely forgot
that I had the stupid scroll already -
what a pain!

Eusis

The "weird reason" being that they promised KS backers a selection of multiple distribution options, and not to lock them into Steam even if they tried the Beta.
There's also some people who didn't care about the alpha or beta and handed out their keys.

Zukuu

Banned
I've spent already over an two hours in char creation screen alone just to tinker around and read what every talent and spell / skill do and to build my two characters. Tried to make a melee with Witchcraft's +50% damage buff, but it failed on every cast due to heavy armor penalty, so it's probably not feasible to make such a hybrid. Would require 3 Int additionally to 1 point into Witchcraft on top.

Sothpaw

I've spent already over an two hours in char creation screen alone just to tinker around and read what every talent and spell / skill do and to build my two characters. Tried to make a melee with Witchcraft's +50% damage buff, but it failed on every cast due to heavy armor penalty, so it's probably not feasible to make such a hybrid. Would require 3 Int additionally to 1 point into Witchcraft on top.

It's party based man specialize everyone!!!

Zukuu

Banned
It's party based man specialize everyone!!!
I will. I just like to have some options on my otherwise pure melee, even if it's just for a buff / debuff, but it doesn't seem feasible yet again. I'll also make him a Lone Wolf. My other character will be a pure mage and healer. I think I'll take an Archer with Rogue traits (pick pocketing etc) as my sole companion. Leadership talent, is incredible good aswell. Gonna give that my mage, so my Lone Wolf fighting machine wrecks havoc. Bully seems also incredible strong. With the slow spell from water, that's a almost permanent +50% damage debuff (Gonna pick Bully for my mage and Archer as well).

Sothpaw

I will. I just like to have some options on my otherwise pure melee, even if it's just for a buff / debuff. I'll also make him a Lone Wolf. My other character will be a pure mage and healer. I think I'll take an Archer with Rogue traits (pick pocketing etc) as my sole companion. Leadership talent, is incredible good aswell. Gonna give that my mage, so my Lone Wolf fighting machine wrecks havoc. Bully seems also incrediblke strong. With the slow spell from water, that's a almost permanent +50% damage debuff (Gonna pick Bully for my mage and Archer as well).

Hear a lot about the lone wolf talent but haven't had the time to mess around with it? How does it work? If your character is within a certain distance from your party he gets majorly buffed?

Also, did you know that one of the mage NPCs is a healer too? I'm making a PC mage with fire/earth given that there is an air/water NPC.

Zukuu

Banned
Hear a lot about the lone wolf talent but haven't had the time to mess around with it? How does it work? If your character is within a certain distance from your party he gets majorly buffed?

Lone Wolf makes it impossible for that character to get a companion (Party size from 4 to 3), but he gets +80% base Vitality and more importantly +2 AP at the start, +2 AP in between every round and +2 max AP, meaning he can make a lot more actions than other characters.

Sothpaw

Lone Wolf makes it impossible for that character to get a companion (Party size from 4 to 3), but he gets +80% base Vitality and more importantly +2 AP at the start, +2 AP in between every round and +2 max AP, meaning he can make a lot more actions than other characters.

Ah I see. Going to pass as I always like having a full party.

You're going to get the stuffing beat out of you.

Such flat bonuses won't help you fight an enemy's status effects, and will barely help you kill enemies faster. I suppose the increased HP will give you enough stuffing to survive some punishment, but the tradeoff hardly seems worthwhile.

Gbraga

Dead Man's Switch was solid and all (and I always love a game with an editor) but Dragonfall was a major step from good to great. I'm really hoping for a Shadowrun 2 from HareBrained.

I love reading those comments. I really enjoyed my time with Shadowrun Returns (what a fantastic name, I fucking love it), but it was kinda bland at times, and the story got waaaay too dumb near the end. Can't wait to play Dragonfall, bought it during this summer sale, but Divinity comes first.

I love reading those comments. I really enjoyed my time with Shadowrun Returns (what a fantastic name, I fucking love it), but it was kinda bland at times, and the story got waaaay too dumb near the end. Can't wait to play Dragonfall, bought it during this summer sale, but Divinity comes first.

Fortunately, this wait for Divinity: Original Sin's release is the perfect time to complete Dragonfall. (I know this first-hand.)

The quality jump between Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall is similar to the BG1 --> BG2 leap, in that the first establishes the gameplay and gameworld, and the second advances/refines the presentation and focuses more on the characters it introduces and the story it tells. It's clear the developers understand what their players liked about the first game.

Obviously, it's not the same quality highs or length as Baldur's Gate 1/2, but it is a respectable universe and pair of campaigns in its own righ. Not quite novahot, but still wiz.

So, Larian has said they're adding voice acting for the official DOS release, right? If it's possible to have two characters of the same gender, does that mean there will be more than one voice to choose for each of them?

It would be a bummer if two characters had the same voice.

So, Larian has said they're adding voice acting for the official DOS release, right? If it's possible to have two characters of the same gender, does that mean there will be more than one voice to choose for each of them?

I doubt the main characters will be voiced beyond combat barks and the like. They're aiming too much at the Old School style to do otherwise, we've all seen plenty of bitch fests by internet denizens who're mad about main character voice acting.

My money is on the BG-style of voice acting being most likely, major scenes voiced, other than that only the first few lines to get to know the character and the situation.

Noaloha

All the ambient and reactive dialogue which appears in-game over NPC's/PC's heads will be voiced. Actual conversations you take part in aren't.

Santiako

I doubt the main characters will be voiced beyond combat barks and the like. They're aiming too much at the Old School style to do otherwise, we've all seen plenty of bitch fests by internet denizens who're mad about main character voice acting.

My money is on the BG-style of voice acting being most likely, major scenes voiced, other than that only the first few lines to get to know the character and the situation.

They have confirmed that all the banter between the characters will be voiced :D

?

They may not be DIvinity-tier, but especially M&MX is certainly a "true RPG".

True, I'm playing MMX now and it's absolutely brilliant!

I will. I just like to have some options on my otherwise pure melee, even if it's just for a buff / debuff, but it doesn't seem feasible yet again. I'll also make him a Lone Wolf. My other character will be a pure mage and healer. I think I'll take an Archer with Rogue traits (pick pocketing etc) as my sole companion. Leadership talent, is incredible good aswell. Gonna give that my mage, so my Lone Wolf fighting machine wrecks havoc. Bully seems also incredible strong. With the slow spell from water, that's a almost permanent +50% damage debuff (Gonna pick Bully for my mage and Archer as well).

Based on what I've played of the beta (~6 hours), Lone Wolf is really not worth it, the extra party member is infinitely more valuable, especially since the game pushes you to specialize the characters to get the best of them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, Swen confirmed there would be multiple voice types for players to choose from.

Zukuu

Banned
You're going to get the stuffing beat out of you.

Such flat bonuses won't help you fight an enemy's status effects, and will barely help you kill enemies faster. I suppose the increased HP will give you enough stuffing to survive some punishment, but the tradeoff hardly seems worthwhile.
Yeah I know, but I kinda like it hard. Most of the time I play one "ultra tough guy" and build my party around my hero (buffs, heals, debuffs, cc, tank, +off dps). I also like smaller parties to begin with. 3 seems like a good number, why not get something out of it? :3 I don't even know which role my 4th guy should have. I have everything, tank / dps, mage / healer, archer / rogue. Another mage that has access to other schools would be the only thing, and it kinda feels redundant. I'd make one a buff / heal bot and the other a pure DPS, instead of a normal mage that does both. Witchcraft + Water + Wind seems like a decent thing to have.

Yes, Swen confirmed there would be multiple voice types for players to choose.

That's really good to know. Smart Larian.

Yeah I know, but I kinda like it hard. Most of the time I play one "ultra tough guy" and build my party around my hero (buffs, heals, debuffs, cc, tank, +off dps). I also like smaller parties to begin with. 3 seems like a good number, why not get something out of it? :3 I don't even know which role my 4th guy should have. I have everything, tank / dps, mage / healer, archer / rogue. Another mage that has access to other schools would be the only thing, and it kinda feels redundant. I'd make one a buff / heal bot and the other a pure DPS, instead of a normal mage that does both. Witchcraft + Water + Wind seems like a decent thing to have.

I suppose the only things you would really be vulnerable to are ambushes, pincer attacks, extended battles, and possibly boss battles, depending how they are in DOS.

Perhaps you should add a zombie to your party. There's bound to be a poison dungeon at some point.

Zukuu

Banned
That's really good to know. Smart Larian.

I suppose the only things you would really be vulnerable to are ambushes, pincer attacks, extended battles, and possibly boss battles, depending how they are in DOS.

Perhaps you should add a zombie to your party. There's bound to be a poison dungeon at some point.

I'll work with summonings too, so if I'm vastly outnumbered I can summon another tank. Charge + Phoenix Dive + my op melee guy will give most critters short shrift.

Did I mention that I LOVE that there is no mana in the game?

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I see people talking about the renessance of CRPGS, and mentioning a lot of games. But I see few in here talking about Torment: Tides of Numenera. Is this a coincidence or is there less reason to be excited by Torment ...? I'm a backer of it myself, and I'm looking forward to it.

Adnor

Banned
I see people talking about the renessance of CRPGS, and mentioning a lot of games. But I see few in here talking about Torment: Tides of Numenera. Is this a coincidence or is there less reason to be excited by Torment ...? I'm a backer of it myself, and I'm looking forward to it.

It's just too far away.

Arulan

I'm sure many of us are really interested in it but relative to everything else it is still very far away from releasing. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2016. Also there are many great RPGs coming out now and relatively soon to talk about.

Eusis

It's just too far away.
This. It's like talking up Bioshock Infinite in 2010 and before E3 in 2011 (hell, even the rest of 2011): we won't see it for quite awhile so why bother? Meanwhile we have Divinity literally less than a week away and Pillars HOPEFULLY hits at the end of the year.

Corsick

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is the sale that Divinity was on a couple days ago the only one it will be on for the remainder of the summer sale? Basically, should I just buy it now if I want it or wait a bit? I fortunately/unfortunately have some more money freed up after withdrawing my Areal pledge :(.

Top Bottom