• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Adnor

Banned
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is the sale that Divinity was on a couple days ago the only one it will be on for the remainder of the summer sale? Basically, should I just buy it now if I want it or wait a bit? I fortunately/unfortunately have some more money freed up after withdrawing my Areal pledge :(.

The only one:
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/479683076407431169
But I'd still wait, that way you aren't tempted to try the game and lose all your progress with the next update ;)

petghost

Banned
wow i just bought this (after reading this thread for a bit) and i am incredibly impressed from what i've played and what i've heard about the systems. many people seem to be declaring this a return to the old school crpg but i think some of the little things in this game seem incredibly progressive! also really enjoying the combat (kind of like temple of elemental evil or something?) and it seems like the whole idea of surfaces could make for a lot of interesting/unique things that could occur in any given encounter.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is the sale that Divinity was on a couple days ago the only one it will be on for the remainder of the summer sale? Basically, should I just buy it now if I want it or wait a bit? I fortunately/unfortunately have some more money freed up after withdrawing my Areal pledge :(.

Buy it now for £14.

Put £14 in your steam wallet.
Buy 10 keys from the market place.
Go to tf2outpost.
Find a seller and trade.

People say "but that's too much effort". Took me five minutes to find a seller, then just had to wait for her to appear online.

Easy money.

fanboi

Banned
Buy it now for £14.

Go to tf2outpost.
Find a seller and trade.

People say "but that's too much effort". Took me five minutes to find a seller, then just had to wait for her to appear online.

Easy money.

Buy what keys?

Durante

wow i just bought this (after reading this thread for a bit) and i am incredibly impressed from what i've played and what i've heard about the systems. many people seem to be declaring this a return to the old school crpg but i think some of the little things in this game seem incredibly progressive! also really enjoying the combat (kind of like temple of elemental evil or something?) and it seems like the whole idea of surfaces could make for a lot of interesting/unique things that could occur in any given encounter.
This is a good point. We are always talking about the revival of old-school CRPGs, and maybe overlooking the improvements on those a bit. And not just small things - fully integrated coop is pretty awesome.

Lucifon

The only one:
https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/479683076407431169
But I'd still wait, that way you aren't tempted to try the game and lose all your progress with the next update ;)

Is there no chance of it popping on a flash sale :(? I missed it when it was on the daily.

Buy it now for £14.

Go to tf2outpost.
Find a seller and trade.

Easy money.

But it was worth 8 keys during the sale time :(

But it was worth 8 keys during the sale time :(

Sale time? lol, I got it for 7 dota 2 keys (which are worth less than TF2 keys) back in January.

By the way, i have to ask, Is this game still fun in Single-Player or is Co-op "necessary" to fully enjoy it?

Sentenza

By the way, i have to ask, Is this game still fun in Single-Player or is Co-op "necessary" to fully enjoy it?
I didn't even bother to try it in co-op (my timing for playing games is too messed up to find someone who could play when I do) and I'm still loving it fiercely.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hehe. I'm in the same boat. Too much hassle for me, even if it takes 5 minutes. Does that make me lazy? Maybe.

Looking forward to the game, but will hold off on it until I've finished some other games.

Add me to steam, I'll talk you through it. Seriously, it's no effort and you save £15!

Ahhh! Let me help you save money damn it!

Santiako

The game is too big and long for me to coordinate with someone else, I've been playing it solo and loving every second of it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Glad to hear :) From what I've heard, this game has GOTY potential for RPG fans.

Even for non fans. I liked Balder's Gate 2, and I enjoyed the first part of Planescape when I tried it recently (the clunky ui and visuals were too much for me though), and while the genre has always interested me, the only rpgs that have really grabbed me have been more modern titles such as Dragon Age: Origins, KotoR, Mass Effect, etc...

I did enjoy Titan Quest for a while, but the lack of interactivity bothered me and I grew bored.

Divinity: OS seems to fix all the issues I've had with the more dungeon crawler type rpgs, and the updated UI and visuals solve the issues I have with the older games.

It's the exact game I've been waiting for to make my first real step into the old-school style of rpgs.

As mentioned above, it's the mix of old-school design and modern updates that make this so great. It truly feels like a game made by gamers who love gaming. I wish more developers had this much focused passion (or maybe they do and it's just the removal of studio shackles, either way I wish it were more common).

Me and the guy who sits next to me at work are so hyped, we've been talking about it all day.

aravuus

Buy it now for £14.

Go to tf2outpost.
Find a seller and trade.

Easy money.

This sounds great, tf2outpost just confuses me a bit. If D:OS is on the left of the crossed arrows and the keys are on the right, does that mean that they'll give me the game for the keys? What an annoying interface

Zakalwe

Banned
This sounds great, tf2outpost just confuses me a bit. If D:OS is on the left of the crossed arrows and the keys are on the right, does that mean that they'll give me the game for the keys? What an annoying interface

This post should help.

It is an annoying interface, but once you get the hang of it's ok.

And yeh, item on the left is the one they have, the right is what they want.

aravuus

This post should help.

It is an annoying interface, but once you get the hang of it's ok.

And yeh, item on the left is the one they have, the right is what they want.

Thanks, seems simple enough

I can save over 20 euros with this, no way I'm not gonna make use of it

e: and there, saved 22 euros. wow, i gotta keep this key trading in mind

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Add me to steam, I'll talk you through it. Seriously, it's no effort and you save !

Ahhh! Let me help you save money damn it!

That's nice of you :) But I'll either wait for the game to be on a steam sale (BACKLOG) at 50% off or more or I will decide to support the devs and buy it full price. Either way I don't really need these savings.

But is this a method you use for buying other games cheaply as well?

Zakalwe

Banned
That's nice of you :) But I'll either wait for the game to be on a steam sale (BACKLOG) at 50% off or more or I will decide to support the devs and buy it full price. Either way I don't really need these savings.

But is this a method you use for buying other games cheaply as well?

Everyone could do with savings! Donate the difference to charity, or buy your wife some flowers! No need to wait for 50% sale too. Or buy two copies for the price of one and gift it to a friend!

And yes, I always check the key prices and trade values before I buy. Even when there's a big sale on you can sometimes find it for less this way. And generally, once a game goes on sale the trade values reflect that sale price forever.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
The mail just arrived and while I was ploughing my way through the adflyers I stumbled upon this advertisement:
iXgUCG7qIgPFL.png
I get excited every time I see Original Sin getting some more attention, even if it's just a tiny section in an adflyer. This might be a bit silly, but whatever.
Really looking forward to Monday. :)

Renekton

Not really feeling this game so far... must be doing something wrong.

Will wait till 30th patch before playing it again.

So I bought the game and have only dabbled into the beta slightly so as to not spoil myself but I am curious if there are any good class combination recommendations or "must haves"? I had fun with both a Knight/Wizard and a Rogue/Enchanter for the first few fights.

Sentenza

Not really feeling this game so far... must be doing something wrong.
I swear you must be the first person I'm reading who tried the game and who's not enjoying it.
I'm sure you are not alone; statistically speaking is almost a matter of fact that a part of the audience will be unhappy with a game no matter how good...
But still, you are the first one I'm reading about so far.

So I bought the game and have only dabbled into the beta slightly so as to not spoil myself but I am curious if there are any good class combination recommendations or "must haves"? I had fun with both a Knight/Wizard and a Rogue/Enchanter for the first few fights.
That's really a matter of opinions, I guess, but my personal preference with party-based games is to specialize the hell out of every single component.
I want each one of my party members to feel incredibly distinctive from the others and very, very good at something.

Moff

you should know that you will get a wizard and a warrior companion pretty much at the start of the game, that might influence the class choice for your main characters.

personally, I will go with wizard/rogue, as I love wizards and want 2 of them. and rogue because of diversity and the lockpick/steal/sneak skills out of combat.
rogue is supposedly not that strong in combat, as far as I have heard, but balance might still change with the release patch and it wasnt really bad in the beta while I played it, and world interaction is too much fun to miss out on the rogue dirty skills because of that.

so thats why I will go with wizard/rogue

aborath

Neo Member
you should know that you will get a wizard and a warrior companion pretty much at the start of the game, that might influence the class choice for your main characters.

personally, I will go with wizard/rogue, as I love wizards and want 2 of them. and rogue because of diversity and the lockpick/steal/sneak skills out of combat.
rogue is supposedly not that strong in combat, as far as I have heard, but balance might still change with the release patch and it wasnt really bad in the beta while I played it, and world interaction is too much fun to miss out on the rogue dirty skills because of that.

I dabbled with the rogue for a bit, and their starting skills are pretty cool: decent duration haste, invisibility to get them out of combat, and a stun melee attack. Their damage was pretty good when backstabbing--haste gives them a 3-4 attacks in a round--but undead seem to have piercing resistance (DnD-like, i.e. no vitals), so for most of the demo, they're pretty weak. Lock-picking/trap removal will be huge for dungeons as evidenced by the first dungeon you find through the tunnels under the graveyard (doors with too strong to break down, infinite-duration fireball traps). I'll probably play one and a caster of some sort, or make a half-ass druid with healing, animal communication, and hydromancy/earth spells.

For anyone still on the edge, here's the best the quicklook/let's play that I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vpyp9ch2p4. The guys actually know what they're doing; actually hit a ton of stuff in town that I had no idea about. Sorry if it's been linked already. I'm only checking the thread intermittently.

epmode

I'm thinking the same. Might go for a little more witch than wizard but I definitely want a sneaky character. I'd consider a ranger type but they remind me of elves so nuts to that.

Durante

Are there spells which obviate the need for a rogue character (e.g. for unlocking)? That happens in quite a few CRPGs.

ys45

I was wondering something , how it's going to work with companions whop join us when you play co-op ? Each player get a companion to control or are they controlled by AI ?

Respect

I'll work with summonings too, so if I'm vastly outnumbered I can summon another tank. Charge + Phoenix Dive + my op melee guy will give most critters short shrift.

Did I mention that I LOVE that there is no mana in the game?

This is something I love too, a few other games have done it, but I wish more games would go with CD's as a way to balance spells and eliminate mana from the equation.

Feels much more organic too, in fiction there aren't alot of times where a caster yells out: "Guys, blue bar on my staff is running low, gonna drink this powerade and fill up for this round, /drink, k now I can cast superawesome spell of doom again." /repeat

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I played around a bit last night with using companions to distract NPCs so I could rob them blind, and my god did I take everything that wasn't nailed down. I was only like halfway through stealing everything in town and I had practically wiped out all the merchant's gold.

Moff

Are there spells which obviate the need for a rogue character (e.g. for unlocking)? That happens in quite a few CRPGs.

I did find an unlocking scroll, so I guess there is also an unlock book around, but that would a bit unbalanced, because rogue lockpicking is limited by lockpicks, which are consumed. and an unlocking book would be limitless.

still, some doors simply cant be unlocked/lockpicked/deestroyed and need to be opened with keys, at least there were some in the beta. but the keys could be stolen with pickpocketing, so I guess thats at least something that makes rogues valuable.

and of course the whole distract/stealth mechanic, which surely isnt important at all but I wouldnt want to miss out on that one.

OmegaDL50

This is something I love too, a few other games have done it, but I wish more games would go with CD's as a way to balance spells and eliminate mana from the equation.

Feels much more organic too, in fiction there aren't alot of times where a caster yells out: "Guys, blue bar on my staff is running low, gonna drink this powerade and fill up for this round, /drink, k now I can cast superawesome spell of doom again." /repeat

Thank you for bringing this up. It has always stuck me unbalanced that Mages needed to rely on a consumable resource to fuel their spell casting powers, while Warriors can just as easily deal large damage with physical strikes and not have any such impediment. Even worse when there are games that make using physical attacks ultimately do more damage then spells. So it's a double penalty for Magic (i.e being weak and requiring a resource to use)

Oddly a JRPG tried to balance this issue by making physically exerting attacks consume HP and mentally taxing skills as use MP. Such a concept didn't have such a warm reception, though despite the logical sense behind it.

pahamrick

I told myself I was only going to play a little bit to check it out and leave the majority until after launch, but then I told a buddy that the Divinity:OS beta was eligible for family sharing and he should check it out when I'm not on since I thought he'd like it.

He played solo for about an hour, and then when I got on Steam later I saw that he'd bought it. Not too long later I was in game playing co-op, and it was some of the best 4 hours of gaming in a long, long time.

Pand

Are people still buying this on tf2outpost.com? I've been looking for it on there all day but I can never find anything.

Nirran

Are people still buying this on tf2outpost.com? I've been looking for it on there all day but I can never find anything.

Everyone said it was easy to get but I've been looking on tf2outpost and steamtrades for the last 3 days. This is not being traded at all. Hoping to find someone so these keys aren't wasted.

Durante

Thank you for bringing this up. It has always stuck me unbalanced that Mages needed to rely on a consumable resource to fuel their spell casting powers, while Warriors can just as easily deal large damage with physical strikes and not have any such impediment. Even worse when there are games that make using physical attacks ultimately do more damage then spells. So it's a double penalty for Magic (i.e being weak and requiring a resource to use)

Oddly a JRPG tried to balance this issue by making physically exerting attacks consume HP and mentally taxing skills as use MP. Such a concept didn't have such a warm reception, though despite the logical sense behind it.
Which JRPG are you talking about there?

aravuus

Everyone said it was easy to get but I've been looking on tf2outpost and steamtrades for the last 3 days. This is not being traded at all. Hoping to find someone so these keys aren't wasted.

http://www.tf2outpost.com/search/212119377

There's tons

All Shin Megami Tensei games have this, iirc

lokeloski

Would be better if physical attacks used stamina/fatigue and magical attacks used mana. And ranged used ammunition.

BUT, I have to say: I hate managing resources on rpgs. Unless it's something focused purely on the tactical aspect of the combat, tt's way better to have infinite arrows, no mana pool and endless fatigue.
At least I have way more fun this way, and it's one of the reasons I find the combat from D:OS so relaxing and cool.

rybrad

Potential early game unexpected situation spoiler possibly:
I was messing around and decided I wanted to see how much stuff I could get away with stealing. I had been getting a pretty good haul and then I found this floor in a building with TONs of stuff everywhere and nothing but a cat around. I was super excited to steal all of this stuff. I clicked on the first item and then the cat transformed into a goddamn Mage that wrecked my face in one spell. It was hilariously unexpected.

Durante

I was messing around and decided I wanted to see how much stuff I could get away with stealing.
I had been getting a pretty good haul and then I found this floor in a building with TONs of stuff everywhere and nothing but a cat around. I was super excited to steal all of this stuff. I clicked on the first item and then the cat transformed into a goddamn Mage that wrecked my face in one spell. It was hilariously unexpected.
Spoiler alert!

But seriously, sounds like a Larian game.

OmegaDL50

Star Ocean 3.

Physical abilities used HP and magical ones used MP. There was also enemies that could deal mental damage instead of attacking your health. You could also be KO'd by running out of MP (I'd consider it equivalent to mental exhaustion or brain death)

rybrad

Spoiler alert!

But seriously, sounds like a Larian game.
I had thought about putting it in tags as I was posting but figured since it was in the first town it wouldn't be an issue. Went ahead and tagged retroactively!

I wish the 30th would get here already, I am running out of random things to do that aren't actually playing through the story.

Top Bottom