• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Rad-

I have to agree with the writing complaints. I'm really enjoying the game but man, the writing is really average. I'm now just skipping pretty much every line. Makes it a chore to do the non-combat quests.

I do read what the animals have to say however. They are pretty good.

Durante

Environmental interaction is not winning me over yet.
Well, in terms of general environmental interaction it at the very least matches the "classic" it tries to emulate (Ultima 7). In terms of environmental interactions in battle, it handily outdoes every single RPG ever released (admittedly I can only say so for certain for the 90% or so I've played :p).

Well, in terms of general environmental interaction it at the very least matches the "classic" it tries to emulate (Ultima 7). In terms of environmental interactions in battle, it handily outdoes every single RPG ever released (admittedly I can only say so for certain for the 90% or so I've played :p).

Sadly, I care rather little about combat. My mistake for not taking half an hour to read up on the game though. I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who enjoyed the old school WRPGs as well as this, but apparently, they enjoyed BG2 and so forth for other reasons than me.

Whatever, I supported a talented Euro WPRG dev. I'm somewhat fine with this.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So it says that I can combine 2 blank elemental scrolls to make a black elemental book, but how do I do that when they stack?

VandalD

Final Fantasy X and Legend Of Dragoon are the only turn based RPGs I've played (loved them both). Those seem much different though since there it's a fixed battle space. After playing Action RPGs like Torchlight and Diablo, I watch gameplay of Divinity and just wish it was faster
I'm going to say you probably won't like Original Sin, or at least wait for a sale, if you're looking at gameplay and thinking it's slow, rather than thinking about how you would do the fight differently or other possibilities. Obviously, no way does it compare to Torchlight and Diablo. You'll have to love the combat and the environmental interaction to love Original Sin.
Yeah, that and the main quest for that town is completed.
Well it has a desert, so I guess it completely qualifies as an act 2.

Durante

Sadly, I care rather little about combat. My mistake for not taking half an hour to read up on the game though. I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who enjoyed the old school WRPGs as well as this, but apparently, they enjoyed BG2 and so forth for other reasons than me.
Or they can enjoy different games for different reasons.

That said, I am enjoying the writing in Original Sin a lot. It made me laugh out loud quite a few times already. And today while watching my dog roll around in some dirt I was actually reminded of a dialogue in the game.

I think that concerning the writing, this is a good way to look at it: (from another forum)
I started enjoying the writing much more when I stopped thinking of it as something I was supposed to be in any way invested in, and started thinking of it as video gaming's Asterix the Gaul; silly wordplay, banter, a ridiculously earnest and jolly adventuring duo, lots of openly anachronistic winks and nudges to real life and modern culture. Every character is a bit mad in their own special way.

BPoole

I'm going to say you probably won't like Original Sin, or at least wait for a sale, if you're looking at gameplay and thinking it's slow, rather than thinking about how you would do the fight differently or other possibilities. Obviously, no way does it compare to Torchlight and Diablo. You'll have to love the combat and the environmental interaction to love Original Sin.

Well it has a desert, so I guess it completely qualifies as an act 2.
Pillars of Eternity is going to be similar to Divinity, right? I had backed that on KS so I suppose I could just wait for that and see if I like the genre and then considering getting Divinity

Zeliard

Whatever, I supported a talented Euro WPRG dev. I'm somewhat fine with this.

If you want writing in the style and of the quality of the isometric crpg classics you're not going to get it out of anything but Project Eternity and hopefully Torment 2.

Also your implication that people didn't value BG2 for elements like story just because they enjoy this game is fairly obnoxious.

If you want writing in the style and of the quality of the isometric crpg classics you're not going to get it out of anything but Project Eternity and hopefully Torment 2.

Also your implication that people didn't value BG2 for elements like story just because they enjoy this game is fairly obnoxious.

Yeah, I suppose so. Backed both.

Moff

Pillars of Eternity is going to be similar to Divinity, right? I had backed that on KS so I suppose I could just wait for that and see if I like the genre and then considering getting Divinity

no, pillars will be party based real time with pause combat, a true classic RPG. and quite different from divinity, which was basically a hack'n'saly like diablo with more world depth.

edit: I just realized I thought you meant the original divine divinity game, but you actually meant original sin.
original sin is of course not a hack'n'slay at all.
I think original sin and pillard are probably not THAT different, but still pretty different, I'm pretty sure I'll lobe both.
pillards will certainly have more focus on story and a fleshed out setting with considerable depths and origniality
less world interaction, and a different combat system.

Arkeus

Pillars of eternity is a IE spiritual successor and will focus much more on the story and is RWTP, while Divinity: Original Sin is a Ultima VII spiritual successor and focus much more on exploration and freedom of tackling any quests in multiple different ways.

They are really as different as, say, Skyrim and Mass Effect.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Any specific questions about how the co-op works with regards to loot, quests, save positions, etc. can be imagined by asking yourself, "well, how would it work in single-player mode?" and that's your answer.

thanks, that's the best possible setup.

Durante

Pillars of Eternity is going to be similar to Divinity, right?
That depends on how closely you look. At a glance, it will be similar. Both are party-based, isometric CRPGs.

However, PoE rather strictly follows a Baldur's Gate tradition, while Divinity follows the Ultima tradition to some extent, combined with battles reminiscent of (but even better than) ToEE, and coop.

So:
- PoE has RTwP battles, while Divinity has turn-based battles
- PoE will feature very limited environment interaction, while environment interaction is a huge selling point for Divinity
- PoE has a standard RPG crafting system, while Divinity has this (spoiler warning I guess)
- PoE is purely a single-player affair (one area where it doesn't match BG), while Divinity has great coop support
- PoE will feature a very serious setting, story and characters, while Divinity is very whimsical

I think they are about as far from each other as you can get while remaining in the "isometric, party-based RPG" subgenre. Which is great, since we will be getting an exceptional and one hopefully exceptional game in the genre in quick succession, but they offer very different experiences.

They are really as different as, say, Skyrim and Mass Effect.
That's a pretty good comparison.

VandalD

I hate that area. It completely drains you AP for any battle. Please tell me there's no boss fight in this thing.
Dunno. I didn't stick around for longer than I had to. Went straight for the
Immaculate Trial.
I think I do remember something about a
giant spider boss in the desert. That sounds fun, right?
I'm not sure I could recommend OS based on if you like PoE, much like I couldn't recommend OS based on liking FFX and Dragoon. This is why every game needs a demo.

I've found the difficulty fairly spot on so far, an easy way to gain XP at the start of the game is breaking into houses and looting stuff, gains you easy exploration XP.

After that take it slow, go west from Cyseal and slowly take on groups of undead (mage with fire is pretty essential). You should level up at a decent pace, by level 5 I was able to kill
the miniboss at the lighthouse
which gave me some great loot and helped me take on the rest of the skeletons in the area.

After that try the Orcs on the beach and
Black Cove

That was my general route, I came across some tough fights that took a few tries but there's been no straight roadblock.

Zeliard

That depends on how closely you look. At a glance, it will be similar. Both are party-based, isometric CRPGs.

However, PoE rather strictly follows a Baldur's Gate tradition, while Divinity follows the Ultima tradition to some extent, combined with battles reminiscent of (but even better than) ToEE, and coop.

So:
- PoE will feature very limited environment interaction, while environment interaction is a huge selling point for Divinity
- PoE has a standard RPG crafting system, while Divinity has this (spoiler warning I guess)
- PoE is purely a single-player affair (one area where it doesn't match BG), while Divinity has great coop support
- PoE will feature a very serious setting, story and characters, while Divinity is very whimsical

I think they are about as far from each other as you can get while remaining in the "isometric, party-based RPG" subgenre. Which is great, since we will be getting an exceptional and one hopefully exceptional game in the genre in quick succession, but they offer very different experiences.

This is a good run-down of some of the differences. And while I have no doubt Eternity will have a very enjoyable combat system, I do have to wonder after playing Divinity: OS how it will measure up to this game. 'Course Eternity is a bit hampered by its choice of RtWP over TB, right Durante? ;)

Moff

I would be very surprised if pillars combat is nearly as good as original sins.
and I actually prefer RTwP

but original sins combat is so damn slick and smooth, has amazing combinatnions, synergies and world interaction, pillars will have a very hard time to as fun as this. original sins combat is -next to its world interaction in general- by far its biggest strength. I honestly think its the best TB combat I ever played, for above reasons and because I really dont like grid asthetics.

thats very interesting, I played around a lot with that, but most items just were crap.
is there a place somewhere were people share what useful items they actually manaed to create?
the only useful things I created were spell scrolls and books. since its random you can do pretty much all of them easily.

Durante

This is a good run-down of some of the differences. And while I have no doubt Eternity will have a very enjoyable combat system, I do have to wonder after playing Divinity: OS how it will measure up to this game. 'Course Eternity is a bit hampered by its choice of RtWP over TB, right Durante? ;)
It is doubly impressive how completely amazing Divinity's battle system is despite being hampered by its fundamental turn-based design. At this point, I'm almost ready to call it the best ever in any RPG.

However, particularly in coop, I do find myself yearning for the power and sophistication of RTwP, since then there wouldn't be a reason for me and my coop partner to be forced to wait for each other to give our commands.

BPoole

So:

That's a pretty good comparison.
Thank you for fleshing out the differences in more detail. I suppose I'll just hold out for a sale on Divinity. The co op aspect really interests me and is something I wish PoE had.

As far as environmental interaction goes, what are some examples of that? In one game I saw, there was some water on the ground and the player could electrocuted it to block off enemies attacking from that direction. Is that basically the jist of environmental interaction or does it get more complex than that?

I took a break for a day or so. When I last played, I just hit Silverglen / The forest. I'm currently level 10, yet every mob and quest is significantly higher (14).

Am I really underleveled or have I missed something important?

Arkeus

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Dear Music Jesus,

Have I not tried to walk the straight and narrow track? Have I not layered the update notes with your instructions on how to keep the devil way down in the hole? Please don't let this devolve into a TB vs RTwP debate again.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Did anyone else has trouble pickpocketing the crazy elf? Have my pickpocket at three and for whatever reason it says the item I need for the quest exceeds my value.

Durante

Thank you for fleshing out the differences in more detail. I suppose I'll just hold out for a sale on Divinity. The co op aspect really interests me and is something I wish PoE had.

As far as environmental interaction goes, what are some examples of that? In one game I saw, there was some water on the ground and the player could electrocuted it to block off enemies attacking from that direction. Is that basically the jist of environmental interaction or does it get more complex than that?
There are two parts to it really: interacting with items and interacting with elements, and both have applications both in battle and outside of it.

Examples (these are only a small subset):
- Item interaction in battle:
you can build a wall out of boxes or barrels or whatever else is around to prevent archers from shooting you, or you can use barrels to create puddles or oil spills, or you can place traps
- Item interaction outside battles:
you can use items to spring traps, or to block the line of sight of some NPC in order to rob them blind. You can even throw a bone to make a dog follow it
- Elemental interaction in battle:
you can douse fire, make stuff wet and freeze or electrocute it, vaporize an electrified puddle of water to create a stunning cloud, wash away poison or vaporize and incinerate it, and set fire to stuff
- Elemental interaction outside of battles:
You can use a rain spell to douse a burning boat

I've spoilered the examples, since one of the greatest things about this game is trying something which should theoretically work, but in 99% of all games wouldn't, and have it work exactly as you would have expected.

Zeliard

It is doubly impressive how completely amazing Divinity's battle system is despite being hampered by its fundamental turn-based design. At this point, I'm almost ready to call it the best ever in any RPG.

Temple of Elemental Evil and Jagged Alliance 2 (without getting into the latter's whole "is it an RPG?" debate) are commonly cited as having the best turn-based combat in a CRPG, for good reason, and I would say Divinity: OS is right there with them.

And I cannot say I was expecting that.

Durante

Temple of Elemental Evil and Jagged Alliance 2 (without getting into the latter's whole "is it an RPG?" debate) are commonly cited as having the best turn-based combat in a CRPG, for good reason, and I would say Divinity: OS is right there with them.

And I cannot say I was expecting that.
I don't count Jagged Alliance 2 (I agree to not get into it ;)), but yeah, ToEE is the benchmark I'm looking at. And I'm starting to think Divinity is better. I also really didn't expect that.

And it's in a game that has a lot more going for it than "just" a battle system!

Herla

I love/hate how difficult it is to loot bodies after a big battle full of ice spells. It's a huge pain in the ass, but it makes me laugh every time.

Moff

The one in the first inn.

the one who wants you to kill the orc/get her medallion? I never had to pickpocket him. I just got him what he wanted.

I love/hate how difficult it is to loot bodies after a big battle full of ice spells. It's a huge pain in the ass, but it makes me laugh every time.

telekinesis makes that easier
and/or fire spells to melt the ice

I took a break for a day or so. When I last played, I just hit Silverglen / The forest. I'm currently level 10, yet every mob and quest is significantly higher (14).

As it's the same for me I guess that's just the way the game is. I could be wrong though.

Also, how does lockpicking work? Do I need to be at lvl 5 to pick the lock of a lvl 5 chest etc?

And on more thing. When I did the Undead quest and got to the Church I needed to
find the pictures and press the buttons.
But the fourth one was behind a lvl 20 locked door and I had no key, nor could I find one. I only solved it by using Telekinesis on one character. But if I hadn't have had that skill I have no idea how I could have solved the problem.

Moff

you need to
enter the witchs cabin
, thats wehre the level 10/11 enemies are

Moff

I am not a monster so I am trying to do get him arrested but I can't get the evidence :/

well I talked to the orc and she agree to just give him the amulet, I didnt kill her.
you took a completely different approach then.
maybe there is another way to get the item than pickpocketing?
pickpocketing has a weight/worth limit, what kind of item is it anyway?

Give in to your dark desires and just roast him in his own room.

Due process!

well I talked to the orc and she agree to just give him the amulet, I didnt kill her.
you took a completely different approach then.
maybe there is another way to get the item than pickpocketing?
pickpocketing has a weight/worth limit, what kind of item is it anyway?
I don't think so, when I tried to get him arrested the head guy asked if I had evidence so I went back to the room to look around and the elf turns around in such a way as to let you pick pocket him. It's just a
bloodied
amulet worth 400 gold. The specific message is something like "you cannot pickpocket this item because it exceeds your value limit" Certainly neat that 4 or 5 different ways to resolve the quest have been mentioned in the responses, even if one doesn't seem to work :p

Moff

Due process!

I don't think so, when I tried to get him arrested the head guy asked if I had evidence so I went back to the room to look around and the elf turns around in such a way as to let you pick pocket him. It's just a
bloodied
amulet worth 400 gold. The specific message is something like "you cannot pickpocket this item because it exceeds your value limit" Certainly neat that 4 or 5 different ways to resolve the quest have been mentioned in the responses, even if one doesn't seem to work :p

hmm 400 gold should be doable though
I would retry that later, I think if you find an item that gives 1+ pickpocket you should be able to do it

Loving the game so far, started really getting on it today since i've been busy all week.

Anyone knows where i can buy resurrect scrolls in Cyseal? Found 1 from the enchantress but woul like to have more.

Tenrius

How is the base skill level determined? For example, Madora's man-at-arms skill is at level 2 while my main character's witchcraft is at 1. They are both at level 5 and I can't increase either of these skills.

bloodied

I got the same message with pickpocket at 2. You can just try to steal something from his room and he'll attack you. This way nobody would mind (the other citizens will turn hostile if you attack him directly). The weird thing is that his door turned red at some point. It was open and he attacked me when I closed it.

Alastor3

After 7 hours non-stop this night with my friend, the game is great! The only thing that bugging me is the dialogue. I miss a lot of the quest my friend is doing because I can't follow the conversation, so while he talk to someone, I go somewhere else and do something, and in the end, we might have played like 40% together. :/

Trying to pickpocket the elf to get the
amulet as evidence
and it says "cannot pickpocket, value exceeds my limit" What? Have 3 in pickpocket.

Yea, I guess that one's just for people that go full rogue, I had a two at the time I tried it, I just went the other route. You'll quickly start finding gear that will add plus ones, amulets and rings and stuff, so just leav eit for now if you really want to do it that way. You'll end up with a much higher pickpocket due to that plus dialogue resolutions that give you plus 1s, even if you don't put much more into it actual stat spending wise.

Noaloha

How is the base skill level determined? For example, Madora's man-at-arms skill is at level 2 while my main character's witchcraft is at 1. They are both at level 5 and I can't increase either of these skills.

To increase to skill level 2, you need to use 2 skill points, skill level 3 will cost 3 skill points, and so on. You get 1 skill point to allocate each time you level up for Lvls 2-5, from Lvl 6-10 you get 2 skill points to allocate and Lvl11+ gets you 3 points.

After 7 hours non-stop this night with my friend, the game is great! The only thing that bugging me is the dialogue. I miss a lot of the quest my friend is doing because I can't follow the conversation, so while he talk to someone, I go somewhere else and do something, and in the end, we might have played like 40% together. :/

For the time being, follow the chat between your co-op partner and the NPC by bringing up the dialogue section in your journal - it updates in real time with both sides of the conversation and can be read from the other side of yhe game world. You miss out on seeing the dialogue options sadly, you'll only see the chosen response. It's the best option at the moment though. Happily, Larian are working on a patch to allow us to view the actual conversation UI of our co-op partner in real time. :)

kafiend

I know this sounds like advice coming straight from Captain Obvious but...walk on ice, you don't fall over very much compared to running.

Zakalwe

Banned

The main quest will take you to
the desolate area where the spiders live
. They're all lvl 14 and you're not ready to deal with them yet.

Just before you enter that area there are 4-5 Immaculates sitting around, they engage you in conversation as you approach.
One will let you know to make sure to only take the north most path, which will lead you to the trial cave
, every other path will lead you to enemies you can't deal with yet.

If you're ever lost in this game, speaking to NPCs can trigger dialogue cues to help you out. It's usually like the crafting and elemental system too, logical - if it makes sense this person should know they generally can offer a little insight.

They're fixing this soon. In meantime, pull up the chat log and you can follow the conversations there.

I know this sounds like advice coming straight from Captain Obvious but...walk on ice, you don't fall over very much compared to running.

I didn't think to try this... thanks!

Chaos17

I do not recommend you to do this because you will miss some banters between the mains heroes that can give you bonus stat.
Also, be aware that battle exp is not shared like in Diablo 3.
Yes, exploration is not great in co-op since I suggest to stay together for dialogues and combats.
Beside those, you're free.

Originally Posted by publicpwnerer

I recommend you to the other quest
free the white witch
The mobs aren't that high lvl.

Top Bottom