• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zukuu

Banned
Wish for a few balance changes:
-Tripping should only last for a single turn
-When you smelt a 2h sword it should only yield a single small bar back.
-Change metal armor improvement from crafting to blacksmithing
-Let sneaking level improve (sneaking-) backstab damage
-Add the dye vendor to the first town >_< (or did I miss him?)
-Phoenix Dive should leave a fire trail immediately (or should deal damage, really).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
For arrows with effects like knockdown, stun or charm, do your stats factor in at all on whether they will proc? Likewise for arrows which does direct damage like explosions.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Steam says I have 24 hours logged... still on the first map and not feeling frustrated by that or compelled to move faster. I should almost be to evelyn's hideout.. I don't think I'm near taking down the beach orcs yet though. Undead are mostly no problem except for those level 8s...

combat in this game is so so so perfect. still trying to get the better nuances of it.. like exactly when/how you can electrocute a puddle (so if I electrocute a guy standing in the puddle, it does the whole puddle, right?) and like how to create steam. is it just some sort of explosion over water? Does a flame arrow count or does it have to be exploding?

I also got my first legendary
by the lighthouse

Anyway, 24 hours in and I've enjoyed every single one. I did have to reload though when my one companion was teleporting another companion in and out of places I didn't want to bother with keys for. She kept taking damage and like the 3rd or 4th time she got pissed and actually left my party/game.. I was stunned but lol'ed. Reloaded and decided to stop while I was ahead.

Ultimadrago

Make a multiplayer game and have him join during character creation. It's not by character, it's by game. Host gets the save files.

One of you host a game and begin creating a character. While still in character creation, get the other person to join the host's game. Then you can both create your own characters.

Note that the character they make will be bound to the host's game. This isn't like Diablo with characters hopping between games; instead, everything is strictly bound to the host's game, presumably to maintain game balance.

Hmm, still messing with it and no dice. Even started a multiplayer game for them to jump into and Steam won't let us connect.

Zukuu

Banned
Very important PSA:
Once you've unlocked the Hall of
Secrets
in the homestead, you can buy the
Skill and Attribute books EACH TIME YOU LEVEL UP again
from her. Pricey, but worth it²

Lingitiz

It's so refreshing to play a modern RPG that doesn't hold your hand. It makes exploration so much more worthwhile when you're not just mindlessly following the GPS to the next checkpoint.

AJLma

I'm about 10 hours in, have about 10 open quests in my log and have completed maybe 2 quests them.

I turned away one companion which was probably a mistake, and last time I tried venturing outside the city I got my ass kicked. I'm starting to feel lost, but not in a bad way. There's just so much to explore, I'm probably not moving objects around and playing with the physics nearly enough.

Sarcasm

I can not for the life of me find the cave that is supposedly NW. I have been as far north and west and everything inbetween =(

Karak

Steam says I have 24 hours logged... still on the first map and not feeling frustrated by that or compelled to move faster. I should almost be to evelyn's hideout.. I don't think I'm near taking down the beach orcs yet though. Undead are mostly no problem except for those level 8s...

combat in this game is so so so perfect. still trying to get the better nuances of it.. like exactly when/how you can electrocute a puddle (so if I electrocute a guy standing in the puddle, it does the whole puddle, right?) and like how to create steam. is it just some sort of explosion over water? Does a flame arrow count or does it have to be exploding?

I also got my first legendary
by the lighthouse

Anyway, 24 hours in and I've enjoyed every single one. I did have to reload though when my one companion was teleporting another companion in and out of places I didn't want to bother with keys for. She kept taking damage and like the 3rd or 4th time she got pissed and actually left my party/game.. I was stunned but lol'ed. Reloaded and decided to stop while I was ahead.

Yep. Like I said in my review I got to around 30 and just had a complete moment for a second about how all 30 hours offered good to amazing gameplay. Seriously overwhelming awesomeness. At 50+ between 2 games I can say it is easily a game of the year contender for me. Also have now got to see it running on 6 different systems with 2 being fairly low end and was surprised that the optimization really is fairly robust throughout the entire power curve of systems.

Also as someone else said. Never worry guys about remaking your characters I mean you can be and do anything so if there is overlap you don't want trust me you can easily move away from it with a level or 2.

Sarcasm

So lvl 5..can't learn anything new and the enemy packs are my lvl but they are 10 in numbers and seem to know way more spells than me.

Vendors have books but they are for lvl 10+ or not even same school. How the heck am I suppose to do this?

Karak

So lvl 5..can't learn anything new and the enemy packs are my lvl but they are 10 in numbers and seem to know way more spells than me.

Vendors have books but they are for lvl 10+ or not even same school. How the heck am I suppose to do this?

Have you checked to make sure you are upgraded on weapons and so forth? I also traded out some action points for higher level weapons and found that it worked for me like a charm to take down some of the other baddies. Even if I couldn't sprint across a football field in one turn.

Also healing scrolls and potions are simply unequaled in power. At least in my play through. Also the game really does require a lot of location play and you have to be aware of where all the enemies are. I can't count the times I had most of my party members dead and the last thing i did was heal that one last guy and they ended up winning the battle. Never use them too early.

JLeack

Banned

Welcome to Divinity: Original Sin. I must admit, this game goes out of its way to give you a hard time, and not in a clever way like the Souls series, either.

hemtae

I'm doing two lone wolf characters and most of my fights consist of killing two or three enemies then running away.

Its really easy with a rogue/marksman character who gets in a first strike one way out another.

Zukuu

Banned
Just play smart. You can win against almost impossible enemies just by playing smart. Use the environment to your advantage to create choke points or to get archers / casters to run to you, drag a few oil barrels around, make element combos like rain + lightning, use a scroll, hit and run tactic, use summons... etc You have SOOOO many options, USE THEM.

The game is very rewarding for being strategic and creative.

VandalD

I think I did the second area in the "wrong" order. Found what seems like a pretty big area with enemies that are two levels lower than me. It's usually the other way around, from my experience.

The characters don't always seem aware of the information given to the player. Every now and then they'll discuss things that were already made obvious by prior events. Guess that's bound to happen in a game where you can go anywhere in any order, as long as you can handle the fights. It's not all over the place, but I've noticed bits of it. Wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Karak

I think I did the second area in the "wrong" order. Found what seems like a pretty big area with enemies that are two levels lower than me. It's usually the other way around, from my experience.

The characters don't always seem aware of the information given to the player. Every now and then they'll discuss things that were already made obvious by prior events. Guess that's bound to happen in a game where you can go anywhere in any order, as long as you can handle the fights. It's not all over the place, but I've noticed bits of it. Wondering if anyone else feels the same.

I noticed that only in one place. The city and the murder mystery case. I ended up randomly far outside the city, before I was really supposed to, and 1-2 one liners seemed oddly placed but didn't seem jarring. But I guess that is 2 times for sure. Maybe I played a bit more by the numbers than you.

Gaz_RB

Head west if you haven't already. Those undead are around your level and you should be able to take them with a full party.

Sarcasm

Have you checked to make sure you are upgraded on weapons and so forth? I also traded out some action points for higher level weapons and found that it worked for me like a charm to take down some of the other baddies. Even if I couldn't sprint across a football field in one turn.

Also healing scrolls and potions are simply unequaled in power. At least in my play through. Also the game really does require a lot of location play and you have to be aware of where all the enemies are. I can't count the times I had most of my party members dead and the last thing i did was heal that one last guy and they ended up winning the battle. Never use them too early.

WHy would the books they sell require me to be lvl 10?

Zukuu

Banned
WHy would the books they sell require me to be lvl 10?
You see books that are roughly 4 level above your level, so you have a chance to stock them up, since they have a random stock. Some books also can't be purchased. The better question would be: 'Why not?'

Very important PSA:
Once you've unlocked the Hall of
Secrets
in the homestead, you can buy the
Skill and Attribute books EACH TIME YOU LEVEL UP again
from her. Pricey, but worth it²

Yeah... I dunno if that's intended. It seems kinda broken. I haven't bothered to abuse it, it's not like I'm feeling underpowered anyway.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah... I dunno if that's intended. It seems kinda broken. I haven't bothered to abuse it, it's not like I'm feeling underpowered anyway.
The
attribute books
are definitely welcomed. The game want's me to have +1 strength each level to use my newly crafted sword, so I guess it's almost intended.
Skill books
, I dunno. If you only focus on your combat skills, you won't need it. For hybrids or if you want to level up some crafting or defense traits, you almost need it. You also have 4 characters, so the use to your party is limited by default.

Antiwhippy

Wait, am I missing something from the black cove?
I've done the head quest, killed everything, still have the ominous black door which I can't open, but there's nothing else?

Zukuu

Banned
Wait, am I missing something from the black cove?
I've done the head quest, killed everything, still have the ominous black door which I can't open, but there's nothing else?
There is a switch behind the painting after the mini-boss you've fought (in the 'office' room), which opens a hatch you can go into. There is a boss after you've found the right lever. The key is behind him.

Levyne

Banned
I need more magical unlock scrolls. Any place to reliable get them, and can you make a spellbook out of them or no?

Antiwhippy

There is a switch behind the painting after the mini-boss you've fought (in the 'office' room), which opens a hatch you can go into. There is a boss after you've found the right lever. The key is behind him.

Ah damn, I'm always missing stuff like this. Thank you.

Arkeus

Gotta say though, some of the AI seems unable to deal with certain strategies.

with Evelyn, I placed a bunch of oil barrels around her and detonated them. She didn't summon anyone like she usually does and after a few turns tried to just run away as I chip away at her health. Seems like the AI for not going out to or summon anything on dangerous surfaces (seeing that she is surround by pools of fire) is overriding her usual behaviour.

Keep in mind, you can't summon anyone when your line of sight is blocked. It's not "her AI ovveride her ability to summon stuff", it's "you blocker her line of sight and she can't summon".

Basically, you played smart without noticing.

Shahadan

Welcome to Divinity: Original Sin. I must admit, this game goes out of its way to give you a hard time, and not in a clever way like the Souls series, either.

You just suck and are blaming the game. It's something I really hate. Turn on easy mode and/or think.

Antiwhippy

Keep in mind, you can't summon anyone when your line of sight is blocked. It's not "her AI ovveride her ability to summon stuff", it's "you blocker her line of sight and she can't summon".

Basically, you played smart without noticing.

Haha, that's cool to know. Though the extra XP would have been nice.

Pand

So here's something I don't get: I'm at the second map and I'm already level 11. Isn't there supposed to be a level cap of 20? I guess level progression will slow down now, but I can't imagine it stretching for 3 more maps.

sueil

So here's something I don't get: I'm at the second map and I'm already level 11. Isn't there supposed to be a level cap of 20? I guess level progression will slow down now, but I can't imagine it stretching for 3 more maps.

level cap is 20 and leveling does indeed slow down.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It definitely slows down. Cyseal took me and my coop partner about 22 hours to clear and we were level 10. We've put about 10 - 12 hours into the second area and just hit 13.

epmode

I read that it isn't a hard cap. There simply isn't enough XP to get your characters over 20. No idea if it's true considering I'm still in the first area.

I love this game, GAF. I love that the combat is every bit as good as everything else! The focus on surfaces and their interactions is so perfect that I'm surprised that no other games have tried it to this extent.

Antiwhippy

Guess I have to find out myself.

I have no idea where I'm at in act 1 honestly. I thought I was at the end but it seems like there's so much more to do.

Top Bottom