• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

You need to get a blank book...which can be crafted from two blank scrolls...which can be crafted from pixiedust (bonedust+stardust) and parchment. As far as I know, the element of the scroll you make that way is always random.

Edit: Then you combine the book and scroll.

I need to write this down.

Just play smart. You can win against almost impossible enemies just by playing smart. Use the environment to your advantage to create choke points or to get archers / casters to run to you, drag a few oil barrels around, make element combos like rain + lightning, use a scroll, hit and run tactic, use summons... etc You have SOOOO many options, USE THEM.

The game is very rewarding for being strategic and creative.

This is too true. My last post in this thread was a complaint about how every group of enemies in every possible path I could take out of the city seemed insurmountable, but I ultimately was able to beat the weakest group. Between the EXP and gear I got from that fight, I was able to progress pretty far into Cyseal, and now I'm level 7 and fighting level 8 enemies, but I think I can handle them if I can get a little creative.

I will say this, though. My #1 pet peeve in this game is the lack of any sort of snap targeting. This is also why the game couldn't work as designed on a controller. Targeting is pixel-perfect. This means that if an enemy's idle animation has them moving around a lot, they might move out from under your mouse cursor before you commit to your action. This often means a "target enemy" action becoming either a "target terrain" action, which loses the "on targeted enemy" effect, or a "walk towards this terrain" action. Many times, this can mean the difference between winning and losing a battle. I hope they can fix this somehow.

I bought this way way back during early access, but haven't gone further than the tutorial. The tutorial was awesome and what i've seen from this game before promises it to be glorious.

Just wondering, as a complete newcomer to the series and in some ways the genre, should I start off playing by myself to take everything in or should I start off with a co-op partner?

Arkeus

I will say this, though. My #1 pet peeve in this game is the lack of any sort of snap targeting. This is also why the game couldn't work as designed on a controller. Targeting is pixel-perfect. This means that if an enemy's idle animation has them moving around a lot, they might move out from under your mouse cursor before you commit to your action. This often means a "target enemy" action becoming either a "target terrain" action, which loses the "on targeted enemy" effect, or a "walk towards this terrain" action. Many times, this can mean the difference between winning and losing a battle. I hope they can fix this somehow.

You can target the enemies' portrait on the 'turn-order' bar on the top of the screen.

You can target the enemies' portrait on the 'turn-order' bar on the top of the screen.

I tried that, but it didn't seem to have an effect. It might've been the fact that other enemies were in the way of the one I was trying to target, though. That is to say, I don't think targeting in that way tries very hard to actually hit what you want.

I bought this way way back during early access, but haven't gone further than the tutorial. The tutorial was awesome and what i've seen from this game before promises it to be glorious.

Just wondering, as a complete newcomer to the series and in some ways the genre, should I start off playing by myself to take everything in or should I start off with a co-op partner?

As someone who was just playing this game at 3 in the morning, I'd be pretty sad if I wasn't able to play at 3 in the morning because my co-op partner was asleep.

Arkeus

I tried that, but it didn't seem to have an effect. It might've been the fact that other enemies were in the way of the one I was trying to target, though. That is to say, I don't think targeting in that way tries very hard to actually hit what you want.

Oh, you aren't talking about skills/spells but just hitting? then i would suggest ctrl+click on the portrait. I haven't tried it, but iirc ctrl+click is 'attack item'.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
A few questions about co-op in the game:

1)Can we start together right from the beginning?
2)How save system is handled? Will my companion be there in the exact same position after I load my save?
3)Is there a drop-in?
4)Can we share loot and so on?
5)How quests are handled? What if I did something she did not?

Sarcasm

I think I am gonna put this game down for a month.

*Vendors don't sell any gear that is usable (checked every level up)
*Can't find useful loot from all the mobs I can kill
*Only mobs I can find now are the Orcs (too high level) and the one infront of my quest (cave) that are like 9 of them all spread out that just wipe the floor with me
*Vendors that have skill books only books I could use from level 1-5 were ones I already know and the ones that I may be able to use..requiring level 10

*Basically I can't get past anything beyond this farce of a difficulty. Maybe I did some quests in wrogn order or something but I pretty much have uncovered a lot of the map..found a pool of poison to the orcs to the fiery chest.

I tried three different approach directions..I was EVEN able to sneak up and ambush.

Tips on fighting boars and ghoul please?

stone128

So loving this game, hard as hell, but I'm progressing, very rewarding stuff... haven't had this much fun with a game this entire generation !

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think I am gonna put this game down for a month.

*Vendors don't sell any gear that is usable (checked every level up)
*Can't find useful loot from all the mobs I can kill
*Only mobs I can find now are the Orcs (too high level) and the one infront of my quest (cave) that are like 9 of them all spread out that just wipe the floor with me
*Vendors that have skill books only books I could use from level 1-5 were ones I already know and the ones that I may be able to use..requiring level 10

*Basically I can't get past anything beyond this farce of a difficulty. Maybe I did some quests in wrogn order or something but I pretty much have uncovered a lot of the map..found a pool of poison to the orcs to the fiery chest.

I tried three different approach directions..I was EVEN able to sneak up and ambush.

Tips on fighting boars and ghoul please?

Fire.

All you need honestly. Grab some flame spells or fire/explosive arrows.

Also if you're where I think you are, grab some oil barrels, sneak behind them to line the barrels up, and then start the fight by shooting those barrels, creating damage as well as creating a giant field of fire.

Moff

Hmm, that's worrying to hear. As in "still good but not as good" or "bad"?

you could maybe argue that it was just different, I think its much worse, because what I valued most in act I and the beta was world/npc interaction, now act II is about 90% straight combat, opposed to act I which was maybe 50% combat the way I played it.
the act 2 town is very small, not even half as big as act I's, it does have a second camp,t hough, but that is basically just vendors.

I expected that, though. I'd say its still good but not as good. simply because the combat in this game is really very good.

Sarcasm

Fire.

All you need honestly. Grab some flame spells or fire/explosive arrows.

Also if you're where I think you are, grab some oil barrels, sneak behind them to line the barrels up, and then start the fight by shooting those barrels, creating damage as well as creating a giant field of fire.

Yeah can't use ANYTHING fire. The arrows get put out =(

OmegaDL50

Yeah can't use ANYTHING fire. The arrows get put out =(

Do you have any mages at all in your party?

Because if not, while it isn't impossible. It's just going to be very very difficult due to how magic just interacts with much of the environment.

Most of the victories I had against enemies who outmatched me in shear numbers were mostly won due to me setting up the environment to my advantage.

Creating Oil spills or Puddles of Water and such. Even carrying a Oil/Water barrel in your backpack just to bring out and dropping it in the center of the battlefield and following up with a Fire / Lightning spell can create a decent level of crowd control and makes a large obstacle for your enemies to deal with.

In fact if you have an Aero Mage with access to the Teleport spell...you can basically pick up an enemy and drop them into the hazard area dealing damage from the fall and them getting caught by the effect you placed on field. Even better, using Teleport to simply drop an Oil / Water Barrel on top of an enemy and following up with whatever.

Sarcasm

10 tries finally..and no lvl up =(

I am at robot I have the book & remote..is it better to self destruct it and fight and kill it? Or is there a better way (to max EXP that)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh goddamnit.
Turns out that I couldn't see any painting was because I've looted it before, but didn't notice the switch. The lever behind the table was just a red herring. >_> <_<

OmegaDL50

So I was up northwest fighting undead in the rainy area and ran over what apparently was a mine which blew up and killed Roderick.

I thankfully had a Resurrection Scroll to bring him back to life. However now my character looks like this.

142AE4E5A989DF730986BD7303747D64E6E62A2F

I guess quitting and reloading the game will fix this. I wonder if Larian knows about this.

Ceebs

Starting building this tonight.

Need to finish matching my wall textures, getting the interior doors set, need to do some more terrain work. Maybe by the time all that is done there will be more tutorial videos up.

The editor is actually not that hard to use once you figure a few things out.

OmegaDL50

So yeah big glitch.

If your character dies by explosion and they turn to ashes, and your armor was dyed to a specific color.

When they revive the colors default to the original. That chestplate on my character was originally a light blue and now it's a white.

To be honest I think it looks better, but still anyone who doesn't want it to change, well this could be an issue.

Leezard

Oh, I found an interesting unique weapon in Map 2:
Sword of Holy Flame, it has references to Divinity 2 and that it is "the only sword known to man to have traveled back in time".

ElyrionX

Found Jahan and Madora in Cyseal. Are these the two companions I was supposed to pick up? One of them is a mage but I really need a rogue. Is there anyone else I can recruit in this first city?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Found Jahan and Madora in Cyseal. Are these the two companions I was supposed to pick up? One of them is a mage but I really need a rogue. Is there anyone else I can recruit in this first city?

Henchmen will unlock as you progress in the murder investigation.

Noaloha

A few questions about co-op in the game:

1)Can we start together right from the beginning?
2)How save system is handled? Will my companion be there in the exact same position after I load my save?
3)Is there a drop-in?
4)Can we share loot and so on?
5)How quests are handled? What if I did something she did not?

It isn't a game where characters transfer data across co-op partners. You don't have a sweet wizard in your single-player game and then bring that sweet wizard into your friend's game for an evening. Everything in a playthrough is strictly contained within the Host's save file only.

If the host has a co-op partner in her lobby at the point of New Game (ie. character creation), then you both create your own character, otherwise the host is just playing as normal in Single Player, creates both characters and can invite co-op players in to control the second main player protagonist whenever they fancy. If you share the creation process, the second character isn't tied to the other player in any way (they don't 'own' it, like it's tied to a Steam log-in or anything). You as the host are able to continue playing in single player controlling the whole party, inviting other, different players if you wish, whatever. Ultimately it's the host's game. Any co-op partners you invite are just guesting in your save file, controlling all aspects of the second 'main' character (including allocated NPC party member) but only doing so for the duration of your session.

Importantly, the game supports multiple profiles so you can have separate playthroughs running concurrently.

Any specific questions about how the co-op works with regards to loot, quests, save positions, etc. can be imagined by asking yourself, "well, how would it work in single-player mode?" and that's your answer.

Yoda

Finally solved the murder case... I was expecting it to be a hour or two max... This game is awesome!

Salsa

So I was up northwest fighting undead in the rainy area and ran over what apparently was a mine which blew up and killed Roderick.

I thankfully had a Resurrection Scroll to bring him back to life. However now my character looks like this.

142AE4E5A989DF730986BD7303747D64E6E62A2F

I guess quitting and reloading the game will fix this. I wonder if Larian knows about this.

yeah

vvFj1Un.jpg

I now wonder if it's Roderick-specific

Levyne

Banned
I posted this is some random other place so I'm copying it here. It spoils a tiny unmarked quest in Silverglen

There was a male prostitute outside of a tavern yelling pick up lines, trying to encourage people to take part in sexy time. "I hope there's a fireman standing by because you seem smoking." I thought "why not", maybe I can follow him into the locked room and loot it afterwards. Also maybe there's an achievement, who knows.

Apparently he was a
zealot working for the "Conduit of the Goddess"
and took the
ruse as
an opportunity to de-robe my character and get him alone so that he could easily
dispense divine justice
. Well, I had no
gear
and Ramon was a tough cookie so I was
unsure what to do
. Before he managed to
silence
me, I
summon a giant spider
behind the bed in the room to
chew on his ankles
while I grab every
random item laying about including a broom and a decorative sword
and get in any good whack I could.

The killing blow was struck with a mandolin.

Not digging it so far. How does this have anything to do with the Interplay games? Reminds me more of Sacred 2 if anything. I find the writing, story, setting and enviroments to be awfully forgettable.

Durante

Not digging it so far. How does this have anything to do with the Interplay games? Reminds me more of Sacred 2 if anything.
What in the flying fuck? Sacred 2 is an action RPG with 0 environmental interaction in which you solve every single quest by going somewhere and killing some things. It's not a bad ARPG mind you, but it couldn't be more different from Original Sin.

VandalD

I posted this is some random other place so I'm copying it here. It spoils a tiny unmarked quest in Silverglen

There was a male prostitute outside of a tavern yelling pick up lines, trying to encourage people to take part in sexy time. "I hope there's a fireman standing by because you seem smoking." I thought "why not", maybe I can follow him into the locked room and loot it afterwards. Also maybe there's an achievement, who knows.

Apparently he was a
zealot working for the "Conduit of the Goddess" and took the ruse as an opportunity to de-robe my character and get him alone so that he could easily dispense divine justice. Well, I had no gear and Ramon was a tough cookie so I was unsure what to do. Before he managed to silence me, I summon a giant spider behind the bed in the room to chew on his ankles while I grab every random item laying about including a broom and a decorative sword and get in any good whack I could.

I had fun with this situation in a completely different way.
After he told the rest of the group to leave, I immediately brought them back in before the disrobe. The door only closes and locks when the dialog box is gone, and you can swap control to a different party member as long as you're not bartering. Bit awkward for one of the PCs, but maybe a bit more awkward for him.

Gave the woman a try too.
Dat tale was so tall. It was so unexpected I almost didn't kill her to get my money back. Probably ruined a quest, but fuck it, this is
Original Sin!

BPoole

As far as the gameplay goes, is it a lot more fun to play this game than it is to watch? The combat looks incredibly slow paced?

I'm looking for a reason to buy this game, but I can't shake the feeling that I just won't have fun with it because of how slow paced it is.

Levyne

Banned
As far as the gameplay goes, is it a lot more fun to play this game than it is to watch? The combat looks incredibly slow paced?

I'm looking for a reason to buy this game, but I can't shake the feeling that I just won't have fun with it because of how slow paced it is.

It's slow but you're never really waiting on long animations or anything like that. Rounds can sometimes take awhile, especially if a lot of enemies are moving at once, but individual unit turns are fairly brief. I guess the nature of turn based gameplay means it might not lend itself to a video playthrough.

I dunno. When you're playing it I don't even notice how much time passes in battle since I'm always thinking or executing. But I also enjoy turn-based games of many sorts so it wasn't really a stretch for me to enjoy this. If you've never enjoyed a turn-based game.....well maybe this could be the first?
3AQmK.gif

What in the flying fuck? Sacred 2 is an action RPG with 0 environmental interaction in which you solve every single quest by going somewhere and killing some things. It's not a bad ARPG mind you, but it couldn't be more different from Original Sin.

Environmental interaction is not winning me over yet. I just don't see how this game is even remotely related to any of the golden era WRPGs as I was told earlier in this thread. It feels nothing like them, with its cheap writing and a generic as hell setting. Meh, should've researched better beforehand.

Sarcasm

Inregards to blacksmith and repairing will I need more points in blacksmith if I ever find decent loot or one is enough to repair till my cheeks turn blue?

Arpg compared to this? Lol what guess it is okay to compare apples to oranges.

VandalD

For what it's worth, I don't typically enjoy turn-based games. I don't know if it's because I'm not as good at them or if it's because they're inherently slower in pace, but I think Original Sin is great. Maybe if you can tell us the slowest game that you can think of that you enjoyed, and why you enjoyed it, people can base a recommendation on that.
Inregards to blacksmith and repairing will I need more points in blacksmith if I ever find decent loot or one is enough to repair till my cheeks turn blue?
Higher item levels require higher levels in blacksmith to repair. So far, I don't think it's worth the points. I think I'd rather just pay a vendor for the three times Madora's sword has almost broken, rather than spend the points for repairing. Especially since I don't craft much.

So, I was just telling my friend how I'm waiting for the point in Act 2 where the game slaps me down, 'cause I'm pretty much breezing through Act 2's battles due to me now having an idea of what I'm doing.

Lo and behold,
I got to the desert. Please, someone tell me this isn't a large area.

Trying to pickpocket the elf to get the
amulet as evidence
and it says "cannot pickpocket, value exceeds my limit" What? Have 3 in pickpocket.

VandalD

So, I was just telling my friend how I'm waiting for the point in Act 2 where the game slaps me down, 'cause I'm pretty much breezing through Act 2's battles due to me now having an idea of what I'm doing.

Lo and behold,
I got to the desert. Please, someone tell me this isn't a large area.
The forest definitely felt like a slapdown for me, but that's because
I missed an entire area that I'm breezing through now because I'm about 3 levels higher than the enemies.

By the way, act two? Did I miss a cutscene or something, or is everyone just calling the next major map act 2 because Cyseal took everyone like
twenty
hours?

Zeliard

Environmental interaction is not winning me over yet. I just don't see how this game is even remotely related to any of the golden era WRPGs as I was told earlier in this thread. It feels nothing like them, with its cheap writing and a generic as hell setting. Meh, should've researched better beforehand.

The writing doesn't compare to some of the classics (and what does?), but the combat is notably superior to all of them save for perhaps ToEE. It's an elegant and deep system they've cooked up here.

BPoole

For what it's worth, I don't typically enjoy turn-based games. I don't know if it's because I'm not as good at them or if it's because they're inherently slower in pace, but I think Original Sin is great. Maybe if you can tell us the slowest game that you can think of that you enjoyed, and why you enjoyed it, people can base a recommendation on that.

Higher item levels require higher levels in blacksmith to repair. So far, I don't think it's worth the points. I think I'd rather just pay a vendor for the three times Madora's sword has almost broken, rather than spend the points for repairing. Especially since I don't craft much.
Final Fantasy X and Legend Of Dragoon are the only turn based RPGs I've played (loved them both). Those seem much different though since there it's a fixed battle space. After playing Action RPGs like Torchlight and Diablo, I watch gameplay of Divinity and just wish it was faster

Moff

Apparently he was a
zealot working for the "Conduit of the Goddess"
and took the
ruse as
an opportunity to de-robe my character and get him alone so that he could easily
dispense divine justice
. Well, I had no
gear
and Ramon was a tough cookie so I was
unsure what to do
. Before he managed to
silence
me, I
summon a giant spider
behind the bed in the room to
chew on his ankles
while I grab every
random item laying about including a broom and a decorative sword
and get in any good whack I could.

I did that with my female ranger, luckily she had a pyramid with her, she wouldnt have had a chance witthout her gear and weapons. all the weapons in the room where either unusable or broke after 1 hit

The writing doesn't compare to some of the classics (and what does?), but the combat is notably superior to all of them save for perhaps ToEE. It's an elegant and deep system they've cooked up here.

Combat doesn't concern me too much lol. I actually had no idea what this game was about other than people telling me I'd enjoy it if I loved the old school games. Oh well.

Moff

I honestly think if the first hours dont convince you the rest of the game wont either.
that being said, I feel very strong influences from various classic wRPGs, but its also mostly something original.

but I agree that story, writing and setting are definitely not the strong points of this game, and range from mediocre to plain boring. so if thats what you expect the most from a wRPG, which is a valid opinion, then original sin ist definitely not for you

Top Bottom