• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

lol that's some grade A trolling. He's in game right now with 23 hours played. Steam forums are generally a disaster. I usually avoid them unless searching for something specific.

Back to the game... I unlocked the (mid game spoiler)
respec option
in the End of Time.
You lose all your skills when you do it... hardly seems worth it since I think some of the skills I found are unique? Maybe not but they were from a treasure map and I haven't seen them anywhere else (like Ice Wall).

Wow that kind of sucks. Did the traits you get from the dialogue choices also reset?

Zakalwe

Banned
Just reached the Hall of Heroes. Is this the only place where I can find new companions apart from Jahan and Madora?

Yes. You'll unlock the portal as you progress through the main quest. Just make sure to keep checking back at your homestead. It will be obvious when you've unlocked it, there will be unavoidable dialogue after you teleport there.

ElyrionX

Yes. You'll unlock the portal as you progress through the main quest. Just make sure to keep checking back at your homestead. It will be obvious when you've unlocked it, there will be unavoidable dialogue after you teleport there.

I have it unlocked right now which is the reason I'm asking. Looking through some of these guys, their stats are pretty insane.

Gaz_RB

Agrred.
The pacing of the first area was better, imo and there were more battles too
Did the 2/3 of the map.

Have you gone inside the
White Witch's house
yet? That is truly when Act 2 gets going. The forest is nothing.

You know what's nicer than 4? 6!

('Summon'-type spells allow for a further two friendly units in combat.)

You know what's better than 6? 8! Everyone on my team has Pokemon haha

I've realised that the Divinity character I was trying to think of so long ago (in this thread) was none other than Bellegar. Zandalor really tripped me up.

Hmmm shit, do they have questlines aswell or??

Didn't really want to add the warrior woman in the pub to my party but if she has an entire story and questline i feel i have little choice.

Missed this before, but yeah it is my understanding that only companions have some sort of quest(s) related to them. They also talk about certain events that happen, something which henchmen never do.

For companions, you can talk to them and ask them questions about themselves or their views, dismiss them, or exit the conversation - whereas henchmen only have the option to dismiss them or exit the conversation.

Monooboe

Haha being level 7 and managing to meet
King Braccus
is a fight I can't win, doesn't matter how much I try to outsmart him.XD

EDIT: seems I was level 8, still feels impossible.XD

Gaz_RB

Haha being level 8 and managing to meet
King Braccus
is a fight I can't win, doesn't matter how much I try to outsmart him.XD

I had to break out a bunch of summons to tank and then draw all the enemies back into the previous room. Use the door like a choke point.
but lol you can't do it at lvl 8 unless you're amazing

Enco

Dunder is the only one I see selling it and he is out of keys atm
Check out TF2Fortress. Pretty sure there are other GAF members too. I got hooked up on the Steam thread.

TF2Fortress is probably the easiest place. Just buy keys and trade. Be careful of being banned from the market for a few days if you fund your wallet though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thing about
braccus
is that he can't navigate around some pots. :p

My spider summon pretty much destroyed the others. Why is the spider summon so good?

g23

European pre-madonna
Question: Is this basically how the rebooted shadowrun and the upcoming wasteland kickstarter games run? And how does this title stack up against them?

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
Alright, I have a question that hopefully someone can give me some direction on. I've been playing the game and loving it yet this is my first time playing an old school CRPG type of game.

My confusion at the moment is on skill levels. For example. My characters are around level 6 I believe at the moment yet I've had my Minor Heal spell at level 2. How can I increase the level of my spells? I've noticed books for same of the same spells just at different levels. Am I supposed to buy the Minor Heal spellbook at a higher level to inscrease it or is there anything I can do with my currently learned spell to get it up to snuff?

I've searched the internet but have only found discussions on general leveling and skills. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Haha being level 8 and managing to meet
King Braccus
is a fight I can't win, doesn't matter how much I try to outsmart him.

I met him at level 8 and he one shotted half my party on his first turn. Excited to explore eastern cysael though and strengthen up a bit.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, I have a question that hopefully someone can give me some direction on. I've been playing the game and loving it yet this is my first time playing an old school CRPG type of game.

My confusion at the moment is on skill levels. For example. My characters are around level 6 I believe at the moment yet I've had my Minor Heal spell at level 2. How can I increase the level of my spells? I've noticed books for same of the same spells just at different levels. Am I supposed to buy the Minor Heal spellbook at a higher level to inscrease it or is there anything I can do with my currently learned spell to get it up to snuff?

I've searched the internet but have only found discussions on general leveling and skills. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Skillbooks have a level requirement to learn (as well as limited slots that you increase by leveling the skill up) but other than that I think it just scales off INT/DEX/STR. Leveling your skill up decreases AP usage.

You gain access to a bigger heal spell at level 7. I believe it's called major rejuvenation.

Gaz_RB

Spells don't increase in level. The level you see is the level needed to use the spell. To increase spell effectiveness, you increase your skill level for that school of spell, and increase your intelligence.

Keep your eye out for higher level healing spells that will need you to be a higher level to equip them.

Decado

Spells don't increase in level. The level you see is the level needed to use the spell. To increase spell effectiveness, you increase your skill level for that school of spell, and increase your intelligence.

Keep your eye out for higher level healing spells that will need you to be a higher level to equip them.
Skill level doesn't impact spell effectiveness, only intelligence. Spell level reduces the ap required to cast higher level spells, though.

Question: Is this basically how the rebooted shadowrun and the upcoming wasteland kickstarter games run? And how does this title stack up against them?

Divinity: Original Sin is graphically and mechanically superior to Shadowrun Returns; it looks better, plays better, and sounds better than Shadowrun Returns in every respect I can think of. Though, to be fair to Shadowrun, SR focuses much more on establishing its characters, atmosphere and world than it does on anything else, and, in that respect, I would say it does a better job than Divinity: Original Sin. I guess it's sort of a narrative-focused vs. gameplay focused dichotomy between the two.

If I had to sum them each up with one word, I would say Shadowrun Returns is an OK game (Dragonfall makes it good), whereas Divinity is a great game.

I haven't played Wasteland 2, but it is still a ways off from release so I don't know what fair comparisons could be made between the two anyways.

Gaz_RB

Skill level doesn't impact spell effectiveness, only intelligence. Spell level reduces the ap required to cast higher level spells, though.

When I say effectiveness, I mean all aspects-AP cost included. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Monooboe

I had to break out a bunch of summons to tank and then draw all the enemies back into the previous room. Use the door like a choke point.
but lol you can't do it at lvl 8 unless you're amazing

I think I have to fill the other room with barrels and run back there or something.XD Tying up some loose ends that might give me a level boots or at least better gear.

I met him at level 8 and he one shotted half my party on his first turn. Excited to explore eastern cysael though and strengthen up a bit.

Haha yeah same here, so yeah need to stay off that place for awhile.

Tom Penny

A bunch of the vendors in town are dead..some enemies followed me into town and killed everyone now I can't buy spells and shit 0_0

Venfayth

I feel like I skipped some story stuff.

Spoilery questions below:

I got to the part of the murder questline where the game is like, Ok it could be Esmerelda, Evelyn, the Mayor, or Aureus.

I found 3 pieces of evidence pointing towards Esmerelda but decided not to have her arrested. I was pretty much stuck on leads at that point. I decided to have my mage just hurl fireballs at Evelyn's house until the door broke, and I grabbed some sheet of paper that seems to be a revealing spell.

Now I was clearing out the beach looking for another quest object and stumbled on her "lair" and suddenly there's a ton of cultists.

I feel like I missed out on a bunch of storyline stuff. Nobody even suspected her except for the mortician dude. What did I miss that implicates her as being some shadowy overlord except for her crazy 'healing' powers?

Gaz_RB

I feel like I skipped some story stuff.

Spoilery questions below:

I got to the part of the murder questline where the game is like, Ok it could be Esmerelda, Evelyn, the Mayor, or Aureus.

I found 3 pieces of evidence pointing towards Esmerelda but decided not to have her arrested. I was pretty much stuck on leads at that point. I decided to have my mage just hurl fireballs at Evelyn's house until the door broke, and I grabbed some sheet of paper that seems to be a revealing spell.

Now I was clearing out the beach looking for another quest object and stumbled on her "lair" and suddenly there's a ton of cultists.

I feel like I missed out on a bunch of storyline stuff. Nobody even suspected her except for the mortician dude. What did I miss that implicates her as being some shadowy overlord except for her crazy 'healing' powers?

Did you read the other books and letters in her house? Pretty incriminating. Also, if you arrest Esmerelda, she ends up telling you about Evelyn.

Eusis

I haven't played Wasteland 2, but it is still a ways off from release so I don't know what fair comparisons could be made between the two anyways.
The fairest comparisons will probably be with Pillars and Torment anyway. Both are made on roughly the same budget I think (4 million-ish, albeit mostly or entirely Kickstarter for those) whereas Those two named games (especially Shadowrun?) were made on much smaller budgets.

Noaloha

A bunch of the vendors in town are dead..some enemies followed me into town and killed everyone now I can't buy spells and shit 0_0

Did you at least get some sweet loot from the vendors' corpses? Do the other NPCs react if you steal the departeds' possessions?

hemtae

The fairest comparisons will probably be with Pillars and Torment anyway. Both are made on roughly the same budget I think (4 million-ish, albeit mostly or entirely Kickstarter for those) whereas Those two named games (especially Shadowrun?) were made on much smaller budgets.

I think they had mentioned on the last kickstarter update that Wasteland 2 is going to end up being double what they got from kickstarter.

Valkyra

Banned
I was thinking i was the only one having troubles with them. I´m relieved now, buy some snow boots!

Sometimes the other effects block the view and I always miss a small patch and madora ends up on her ass...who is the only person who can pick people up lol.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
Thanks for the info but I still seem to be confused. I've seen two books for sale for the same spell, one was at level 2 and the other at level 5. If the spells just scale off of your stat ratings then I'm to assume the different spell levels, as someone stated, just affects the AP cost of the spell.

My question though is the level 2 spell that I have currently equipped, would it ever increase to state level 5 as the book for sale shows or will it always be level 2? I've seen the level requirements for spells as they are often shown in red when I'm below the threshold but that's different from the spell level that's listed, I believe, at the top of the display box. I just feel as if my magic lack any oomph to it. I've increased my intelligence on my mage but it just seems lacking so far and I'm worried I've missed something in improving him.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Only been playing for about two hours yet and am still investigating the murder, but I must say, this seems like a very neat game. Truly an evolution of the old CRPGs we got in the 90s and before.

nbthedude

I think they had mentioned on the last kickstarter update that Wasteland 2 is going to end up being double what they got from kickstarter.

They spent double what they took in on the Kickstarter? What the hell is going on with that company?

As a newbie to this style of cRPG Divinity was making me look forward to Wasteland and Tourment but the latest footage I've seen from the beta of Wasteland it doesn't look nearly as polished as this game and it's only a couple of months away.

Pillars of Eternity looks ace, though.

Santiako

Earlier today I was fighting a "boss" and he had some minions, so I focused on the boss first and one of the minions resurrected him and another one healed him >>

Gaz_RB

Thanks for the info but I still seem to be confused. I've seen two books for sale for the same spell, one was at level 2 and the other at level 5. If the spells just scale off of your stat ratings then I'm to assume the different spell levels, as someone stated, just affects the AP cost of the spell.

My question though is the level 2 spell that I have currently equipped, would it ever increase to state level 5 as the book for sale shows or will it always be level 2? I've seen the level requirements for spells as they are often shown in red when I'm below the threshold but that's different from the spell level that's listed, I believe, at the top of the display box. I just feel as if my magic lack any oomph to it. I've increased my intelligence on my mage but it just seems lacking so far and I'm worried I've missed something in improving him.

You may have been mistaken. Each spell has it's own level. Afaik, there is no level 2 minor heal as well as a lvl 5 minor heal. It may have been a different spell.

Top Bottom