• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

So, what are ways to buff your weapons/armor? I know of the Tormented Soul item, and Essences, but anything else? Say, stat-wise? I want to upgrade my gear but don't want to lose the sexy, sexy stats.

thebloo

Sooo, even if my summer will be full and I probably won't have time to finish this, I bought it.

Are the companions easy to find? Or do you need to search for them specifically?

Sooo, even if my summer will be full and I probably won't have time to finish this, I bought it.

Are the companions easy to find? Or do you need to search for them specifically?

The two companions currently available are in the first town, they are located in specific places you'll need to find.

Henchmen become available partway through the first area, though not where you might expect...

Edit: Legendary find, Zukuu.

Zukuu

Banned
Holy shit what I've found:
2014-07-05_00002k7sca.jpg

Yes, the enemy is stunned on EACH TIME they hit me.

nbthedude

So I could have SWORE the witch in the Inn in Cyreal sold Summon Spider spells.

But when I started a new game I can't find it and I told a friend he could get the summon spider there too and he can't see it either. What gives?

Shtpfrk

Neo Member

But when I started a new game I can't find it and I told a friend he could get the summon spider there too and he can't see it either. What gives?

Random stock is random :(

Gaz_RB

Store inventories change all the time. You won't always see the same items.

Valkyra

Banned
Yes for me as well. My party doesn´t have a dex char in it which makes it even worse. Killing 3 bosses and 3 chests only to get 3 bows and leather armor isn´t that great.
I think the game would been just as good without random loot.

Ironically all that drops for my group is STR and 2handers. My Madora is a god now with a
Tenebrium ring +1(to use the weapons) and a Tenebrium 2hander with a base ~300 damage (with procs) and 18% crit chance
Now if I could only find a Phoenix Dive to give her more mobility.

I believe it's Ahru who sells Geomancer spells. Try talking to him instead.

Armaros

She doesn't, aynu above the legion captains HQ sells that spell.

It's an earth spell, the lady in the inn sells rogue and witchcraft abilities.

You are thinking about the witch preset build which has summon spider, because that build is earth witchcraft.

Is the story really that bad? Gameplay is usually first and foremost for me, but I'd also like to not cringe while reading dialogue if dialogue is so common in the game.

lokeloski

The best thing about the combat in this game is how you have to adapt to different enemies and situation, and how positioning is important.

My main characters are a ranger and a wizard, and I have to say: elemental arrows + destructive attack spells are awesome. At the start I used a lot of poison arrows + flare, now I'm using steamcloud arrows + lightning bolts. It's really cool. Meanwhile I use Arhu to create patches of poison on the floor, so the enemies will try to avoid it and come directly to face Madora, which will be buffed.
Fighting fire enemies? No problem, just make it rain. It puts out fire and make easier to stun or freeze them.

As someone said, it's amazing how many possibilities the game gives you just using real world logic.

Is the story really that bad? Gameplay is usually first and foremost for me, but I'd also like to not cringe while reading dialogue if dialogue is so common in the game.

The story is getting a lot of crap because it's nothing mind blowing. The story is great and the dialogue is top-notch.

Ok, last question for now - where can I find blacksmith or someone who can repair my equipment? I fucked up during character creation and put some points in pickpocketing and lockpicking (skills that I haven't used more than once or twice in almost 8 hours of playing), and zero points in crafting/blacksmithing skills :/

huxley00

Hrmmm I wouldn't say it's bad. If you're looking for serious dialogue, this isn't going to cut it for you. Everything had a fine layer of humor attached to it. Just know you aren't getting a dark and brooding story, it's pretty light and semi funny.

Still looking for help.

Ok, last question for now - where can I find blacksmith or someone who can repair my equipment? I fucked up during character creation and put some points in pickpocketing and lockpicking (skills that I haven't used more than once or twice in almost 8 hours of playing), and zero points in crafting/blacksmithing skills :/

Repair is an option in trading.

Leezard

Can anyone give me a pointer on the White Witch cabin?

I have opened the barrier already, and looted the place. I can see that there is a "fake wall" or something inside the hut which would allow me to get into a cavern should I pass it. How can I pass it? I suppose the round thing on the floor has something to do with it, but I'm stumped.

Armaros

Any vendor, at the bottom next the confirm sale checkmark is a hammer, that is the repair option. The other one is Identify.

If you have blacksmithing, you need a repair hammer.

Levyne

Banned
Hrmmm I wouldn't say it's bad. If you're looking for serious dialogue, this isn't going to cut it for you. Everything had a fine layer of humor attached to it. Just know you aren't getting a dark and brooding story, it's pretty light and semi funny.

I saw the word "Whimsical" used, very apt.

I think the story is good enough. It keeps me engaged. It's not why I'm playing this.

FtHTiny

Tbh most people can´t really judge it because in my opinion major parts of the story are hidden until you find many star stones but i agree it isn´t a mind blowing story but it´s not trash or anything.

huxley00

I saw the word "Whimsical" used, very apt.

I think the story is good enough. It keeps me engaged. It's not why I'm playing this.
I think that is a good descriptor. I have to say I am a little disappointed though. The combat is so awesome, I was just hoping for a more serious story with some funny side quests...game is still great but it could have just been more I think. Definitely still recommended though.

Armaros

I think that is a good descriptor. I have to say I am a little disappointed though. The combat is so awesome, I was just hoping for a more serious story with some funny side quests...game is still great but it could have just been more I think. Definitely still recommended though.

Super serious is never really Larian's style.

Arkeus

I don't think a "Serious story" is always better though. Whimsical is fine, and it's sometimes better to be light-hearted and self-aware than a pretentious story.

Also, Whimsical is kind of what Larian likes doing- they are fun blokes, and they don't want to be douches when writing.

huxley00

I don't think a "Serious story" is always better though. Whimsical is fine, and it's sometimes better to be light-hearted and self-aware than a pretentious story.

Also, Whimsical is kind of what Larian likes doing- they are fun blokes, and they don't want to be douches when writing.
Yeah, I just like to role play a bit, I have to take it serious to get invested. I just need to find the right state if mind to play this game in....

Gaz_RB

Can anyone give me a pointer on the White Witch cabin?

I have opened the barrier already, and looted the place. I can see that there is a "fake wall" or something inside the hut which would allow me to get into a cavern should I pass it. How can I pass it? I suppose the round thing on the floor has something to do with it, but I'm stumped.

Look for a switch to open the wall.

Denton

Question regarding the dialogues in singleplayer, are the AI personalities for the second character implemented beyond loyal and random already?
I am waiting for this before I start playing, because I do not really want to play co-op (too much dependence on other person playing..) and roleplaying both characters feels kinda strange. And both loyal and random seem lame :)

Varna

Question regarding the dialogues in singleplayer, are the AI personalities for the second character implemented beyond loyal and random already?
I am waiting for this before I start playing, because I do not really want to play co-op (too much dependence on other person playing..) and roleplaying both characters feels kinda strange. And both loyal and random seem lame :)

No personalities yet... Honestly might just wait myself. They said they were really confident about them being added soon. Hopefully that means next week.

Aeana

The writing is excellent, it just isn't a super over-the-top dramatic story.

Varna

Dialogue is good. Story is decent, but my god... not even 2 hours into the game and I am
already on a quest to save the fabric of time?
What the hell? I was hoping this would be a more low key story about a
murder investigation
that ends up being a bit more than it seem. I always feel like these kind of stories really take a way from the smaller details in game worlds. Oh well, maybe it will all tie together in some interesting way.

Thinking about restarting for a 4th time... Would it be crazy to attempt to finish the game with two Lone Wolves?

Armaros

Dialogue is good. Story is decent, but my god... not even 2 hours into the game and I am
already on a quest to save the fabric of time?
What the hell? I was hoping this would be a more low key story about a
murder investigation
that ends up being a bit more than it seem. I always feel like these kind of stories really take a way from the smaller details in game worlds. Oh well, maybe it will all tie together in some interesting way.

Thinking about restarting for a 4th time... Would it be crazy to attempt to finish the game with two Lone Wolves?

The story is balanced around a 4 person party and lone wolf doesn't compensate enough really for the extra members.

It's sorta like a hard mode handicap for people that want to play factually with a small group.

Levyne

Banned
So I ended up freeing the
creature (wollock?) being held captive by the golbin Kadraskaz. Nothing quest related but it was good exp and felt like the right thing to do.

Zukuu

Banned
The story is balanced around a 4 person party and lone wolf doesn't compensate enough really for the extra members.

It's sorta like a hard mode handicap for people that want to play factually with a small group.

My Lone-Wolf warrior that deals 4k aoe crits and has 20 turn ap would like to disagree with you. :3

One is pretty feasible imo. I feel 3 is the perfect party size to manage gear for and turn rounds.

Armaros

My Lone-Wolf warrior that deals 4k aoe crits and has 20 turn ap would like to disagree with you. :3

One is pretty feasible imo. I feel 3 is the perfect party size to manage gear for and turn rounds.

20 ap a turn would be more from glass cannon then lone wolf.

Top Bottom