• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
You may have been mistaken. Each spell has it's own level. Afaik, there is no level 2 minor heal as well as a lvl 5 minor heal. It may have been a different spell.

Yep, it seems to be my bad. I went down to the market and looked through the spells again and I must've just been seeing double lol. That's good news though, now I can stop obsessing over leveling up my magic spells and concentrate on the stats. Need to do a bit of grinding though. I just need one more level to hopefully open my mage up to a new set of skills. I need to get into the Geomancer skills (I believe that's what its called) as I think I could use the help of a summon at times lol.

Tom Penny

Did you at least get some sweet loot from the vendors' corpses? Do the other NPCs react if you steal the departeds' possessions?

Ok stuff..it was early in the game one of the east gates. Made them come to the guards..the guards all died then they chased me in town killed the vendors and the cook...then they got killed by the dudes training outside.

Earlier today I was fighting a "boss" and he had some minions, so I focused on the boss first and one of the minions resurrected him and another one healed him >>

Mayor: What, he had some onions? You should get a pan and fry them if you want to sear them! They don't go well with eels.

In the distance, you can hear someone from the harbour shouting about eels.

Gaz_RB

Yep, it seems to be my bad. I went down to the market and looked through the spells again and I must've just been seeing double lol. That's good news though, now I can stop obsessing over leveling up my magic spells and concentrate on the stats. Need to do a bit of grinding though. I just need one more level to hopefully open my mage up to a new set of skills. I need to get into the Geomancer skills (I believe that's what its called) as I think I could use the help of a summon at times lol.
No problem. Trying to understand the all the game's systems at first is pretty hard. Don't forget that every school gets a summon. You don't need to switch to Geomancer just for summons unless you specifically want the poison summon.

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I must say that I'm still getting the grasp of having so much freedom in combat. I need to always be of the mindset that anything goes and not just fall back on typical video game strategies.

One example which had me floored upon completion was fighting the
Orc Camp outside of Black Coves

For those that have passed that, you'll remember that
the road leading up to it was littered with mines. Since my group was a bit under leveled at the time to deal with the mass amount of Orcs, plus the boss, I decided to leave 3 members of my group at the beach near the crying Orc. I then sent my rouge/ranger through the mine field and engaged the boss and his group. Since my rouge has a lot of AP I was able to keep my distance while also luring the group through the mines. I also used my rouge/ranger to set off all the oil barrels on my route back so I set up a field of fire behind and around the enemy as they traveled onto the mine field lol. To make a long story short, by the time they all reached my main group by the beach, they were nearly all half dead and burning which made it a lot more manageable for my group to mop things up.

Damn this game is bad ass lol.

Venfayth

Did you read the other books and letters in her house? Pretty incriminating. Also, if you arrest Esmerelda, she ends up telling you about Evelyn.

Ah yeah. I did see those. It just kinda came out of nowhere regardless lol.

Also, damn, how long is this game?

imtehman

Banned
thx GAF for recommending this game, this is exactly the type of game i'm looking for. Quick question! there's a chest in king crab inn in the first city thats laced with poison and fire, how do i unlock it?!?!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Seems like I just hit a quest bug that makes it so this playthrough can't be continued. Related to the church:

A hexagonal amulet is needed to proceed. After googling Evylin is supposed to have dropped it, but that didn't happen for me, and it's been several hours of play time ago and now I can't proceed.

Zukuu

Banned
Seems like I just hit a quest bug. Related to the church:

A hexagonal amulet is needed to proceed. After googling Evylin is supposed to have dropped it, but that didn't happen for me, and it's been several hours of play time ago and now I can't proceed.
maybe your alt key didn't spot it right away. go back there and search the place.

Gaz_RB

Ah yeah. I did see those. It just kinda came out of nowhere regardless lol.

Also, damn, how long is this game?

I have literally been playing this game with my friend for like 15 hours a day for the past 4 days and we haven't even gotten that far. It's huge. Granted, the combat taking longer adds to the length.

OmegaDL50

I went out the eastern gate near these ancient stone ruins.

Used the key to the and opened the
Garden Back Door

So I get to the top of the hill and there is this stuff burning and I cannot put out the fire with Rain and it's blocking a key I want to grab. I'd assuming this key is important otherwise it wouldn't be placed in such a dangerous spot to begin with.

Zukuu

Banned
I went out the eastern gate near these ancient stone ruins.

Used the key to the and opened the
Garden Back Door

So I get to the top of the hill and there is this stuff burning and I cannot put out the fire with Rain and it's blocking a key I want to grab. I'd assuming this key is important otherwise it wouldn't be placed in such a dangerous spot to begin with.

nah. you can just smash the chest the key is intended to open.

hemtae

Are the inventory of the skill vendors in Cyseal leveled? There are some low level spells I want to buy but missed and I was wondering if they had a chance to appear again.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The trick to this game is to think logically. Where would you find a body? Graveyard, morgue...

If you think it might work, it has a very good chance of working. That's how crafting's built, how the elemental system works, and how the quest system is set up.
This cannot be stated enough people. So far there has been nothing arbitrary or inane about any of the quests. If you've watched a reasonable number of adventure/mystery movies there's not much here to stump you. Just a good ol' fashioned adventure/mystery.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Is there a way to invite my friend at the character screen so he can customize his character?

Moff

the elemental combinations in this game dont stop to amaze me

if a burning enemy walks into a puddle of ooze, boom
if a wounded spider, which bleeds ooze, walks onto a burning surface, boom

my main is a firemage and I made lahan a poison/ooze throwing machine, and thats quite an exploding combination. his attacks poison enemies, and my attacks burn enemies, so whenever they hit the same enemy, explosions are sure to follow

nbthedude

Is there a way to invite my friend at the character screen so he can customize his character?

Yep. Set your options to "friends" or "open online" in the settings. Then when you are in the character creation screen, toss him a Steam invite, or just have him join by clicking on your naim in steam and click Join."

Keep in mind he will be customizing the character on the LEFT and you will customize the character on the RIGHT. This will still be correct when you are in game. No idea why it's backwards like this (though you can hit escape and reassign characters to whomeever you wish at any time).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yep. Set your options to "friends" or "open online" in the settings. Then when you are in the character creation screen, toss him a Steam invite, or just have him join by clicking on your naim in steam and click Join."

Keep in mind he will be customizing the character on the LEFT and you will customize the character on the RIGHT. This will still be correct when you are in game. No idea why it's backwards like this (though you can hit escape and reassign characters to whomeever you wish at any time).

Thanks for the info.

Valkyra

Banned
Anyone gotten into (Act 2)
King Boreas' treasure room?

I can't get past the barrier after the boss.

For your next question

"How do I open the chest in the treasure room?" You need to have the book with the fairy language on the person opening the chest. The book is form the female orc on the second floor of the library from the first town.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I dont think i understand the shadowblade healing from blood aspect. If i bleed an enemy, is being close to him supposed to heal me? Does it work only if you bleed him while you were in melee range?

Monooboe

the elemental combinations in this game dont stop to amaze me

if a burning enemy walks into a puddle of ooze, boom
if a wounded spider, which bleeds ooze, walks onto a burning surface, boom

my main is a firemage and I made lahan a poison/ooze throwing machine, and thats quite an exploding combination. his attacks poison enemies, and my attacks burn enemies, so whenever they hit the same enemy, explosions are sure to follow

Aaaaaaaah! That's why I do explosive attacks sometimes.o_O Never really thought WHY, figured it was something to do with the enemy. Thanks for the heads up, good to know.

Warning: he might be a cat :p
Yeah, I know, I've met him, but didn't check what he has for sale :) And my Witch could really use some fire spells, since that Wizard I just recruited specializes in Water and Air spells. And yeah, I know he can learn more spells, including fire-based ones, but I'd like to have some on my Witch too... is that a good idea? Other members of my party are Ranger and that recruited Warrior.

I dont think i understand the shadowblade healing from blood aspect. If i bleed an enemy, is being close to him supposed to heal me? Does it work only if you bleed him while you were in melee range?

As the trait says, you need to stand in a puddle of blood. It's not about damaging an enemy, but rather making them bleed. There are specific spells and weapons that can cause cause such a status effect. I think their death also causes some blood, might be wrong though.

Naturally, things without blood will not blood.

Santiako

Yeah, I know, I've met him, but didn't check what he has for sale :) And my Witch could really use some fire spells, since that Wizard I just recruited specializes in Water and Air spells. And yeah, I know he can learn more spells, including fire-based ones, but I'd like to have some on my Witch too... is that a good idea? Other members of my party are Ranger and that recruited Warrior.
That's exactly what I did, fire is the main offensive school of my witch now, also wildfire is the best spell so get that asap

Armaros

As the trait says, you need to stand in a puddle of blood. It's not about damaging an enemy, but rather making them bleed. There are specific spells and weapons that can cause cause such a status effect. I think their death also causes some blood, might be wrong though.

Naturally, things without blood will not blood.

Being hit by physical attack will cause you to bleed, and then the blood that pools at your feet will heal you and go away.

It's also a good way of getting rid of blood pools so they don't shock your melee when you use electric attacks.

Blood triggers the water -> electricity combo :p

Also for everyone else you know when you put out a fire patch with water and you get a cloud of steam? That is will also trigger from electrical attacks, creating a static storm cloud.

Gaz_RB

For your next question

"How do I open the chest in the treasure room?" You need to have the book with the fairy language on the person opening the chest. The book is form the female orc on the second floor of the library from the first town.

You're a real homie. That is exactly what I was going to ask.

The treasure room was suuuuper disappointing all in all. So much gold in the environment and such little actual reward. The only thing good was the Winter Ring and Amulet.

Loot is pretty much the worst thing about this game.

Being hit by physical attack will cause you to bleed, and then the blood that pools at your feet will heal you and go away.

It's also a good way of getting rid of blood pools so they don't shock your melee when you use electric attacks.

Blood triggers the water -> electricity combo :p

Oh, wow. I didn't realise that.. what an amazing trait.

That's exactly what I did, fire is the main offensive school of my witch now, also wildfire is the best spell so get that asap
Great, thanks again! Gonna put wildfire on my priority list :D

And, gotta admit that after being slightly bummed about my starting classes (Witch + Ranger), I'm now actually eager to get into some combat with my full party. Would've started off with Wizard + some other class combo, but decided against it, knowing that I'll get Wizard and Warrior in my party anyways. And, as Murphy intended - when I want to fight, Divinity puts me in the middle of crime investigation quest that I'm playing for hours already (and that's great!) :D Gotta pause that for a bit and look for some combat tonight.

FtHTiny

Loot is pretty much the worst thing about this game.

Yes for me as well. My party doesn´t have a dex char in it which makes it even worse. Killing 3 bosses and 3 chests only to get 3 bows and leather armor isn´t that great.
I think the game would been just as good without random loot.

huxley00

Finally started playing today. I love the combat, so well done...sadly I find the sorry telling pretty weak though. I much prefer a darker story with some humerous undertones ala Baldurs Gate. The entire game just is way too tongue in cheek and it's hurting the immersion for me. I'm going to keep going though, the combat is too good not to give it a real chance.

Dezzy

Is now a good time to start playing, or should I wait for a few more patches/updates?

Oh, does anyone have any opinions on the difficulty settings? How hard is easy vs medium vs hard? I'm not great at building characters/parties sometimes, and I don't wanna end up screwed later on because the game requires me to plan my party really well.

Top Bottom