• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Stuck on a quest: The Philosopher

I dug the guy up and he told me to read his book. I found A Philosophy on Death in the library but the book is blank. I tried answering the guy's questions blindly a couple times to no avail. Is there something I'm missing?

Moff

There is a small village in the top right corner of the map with silverglen in it.

oh, where you are teleported to after the hatch in the church?
I wanted to explore the map before going there and found the enemies that need tenebrium weapons to be destroyed...

Zukuu

Banned
20 ap a turn would be more from glass cannon then lone wolf.
due to wolf it yields +4 AP per turn. And Lone Wolf is awesome in the beginning, when you have barely enough for a single swing. I went glass cannon only after I've had over 1.1k hp.

Leezard

Stuck on a quest: The Philosopher

I dug the guy up and he told me to read his book. I found A Philosophy on Death in the library but the book is blank. I tried answering the guy's questions blindly a couple times to no avail. Is there something I'm missing?

No, it is bugged. Just use these answers if you want:

Is the witch class complete crap or not? I fancy re-rolling with a sword and board tank, madora for DPS, Jahan as elemental damage and a buff/debuff witch. Im rolling with a ranger in place of the witch at the moment but he akways feels like a weak link.

Zornack

Man this game is great. I've spent the past five or so hours just running around this town talking to people. Also, invis + sneak = I own so many paintings now.

Karak

The story is getting a lot of crap because it's nothing mind blowing. The story is great and the dialogue is top-notch.

Agreed in my opinion its still really good with great dialogue but so many parts of the game are good that I could see people focusing on that one aspect amongst all of them.

Armaros

Is the witch class complete crap or not? I fancy re-rolling with a sword and board tank, madora for DPS, Jahan as elemental damage and a buff/debuff witch. Im rolling with a ranger in place of the witch at the moment but he akways feels like a weak link.

Witchcraft is support and debuff heavy, oath adds a huge damage bonus to your physical damage dealers. Some of the higher level debuffs are life saving.

For the witch preset, concentrate with earth spells at the start, summons + oil + fortify + oath is a really good support combo early. Add some form of fire and you can ignite the oil.

Fortify adds 60 armor, which is insane for low levels when plate gives you like 10-15.

I made my witch a fire/earth/witchcraft user. Fire also gives you ally targetable haste.

Shahadan

A87C32F264604D5813EFCAECBD1B3BC2A0A23DCC

Well that was fun

OmegaDL50

I know some of you people know this already but for anyone having trouble with the game.

JLeack, and other people I hope the below information is useful (In fact it might be useful to put into the OP)

The game even keeps a log of significant conversations in your journal, labeled to the individual character. So instead of needing to go all the back to that NPC for that quest, just open your Journal and check the logs and click on a relevant name and refer to any important details that you may have missed.

If you are lost and want to get somewhere. With custom markers you can label every single house if you want for reference, and simply open your map and click on a spot and create a label.

Clicking on existing markers or the ones you create will highlight it and put an arrow on your compass you can follow.

None of this stuff is obvious at first, but if you need quest markers and arrows to help with navigation. The game gives you all of the tools necessary to make your own.

Arkeus

The rock/paper/scissors mini-game was poorly conceived. Would have worked better with a simple skill check.

You can simply press space to skip the game and make it into a skill check. The game is mainly for when you play co-op as it becomes a lot of fun trying to out-guess your partner.

Also, when you have AI not on loyal, it's always fun to slowly go "please lose".

JLeack

Banned
I wrote a little I <3 you for this game.

5 Reasons You Need to Check Out Divinity: Original Sin If You Enjoy RPGs
http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...inity-original-sin-if-you-enjoy-rpgs#/slide/1

It's such a huge jump going from the streamlined style of 95%+ of modern games to Divinity: Original Sin, but once you get over the hump (if you need to, like me) it's such a breath of fresh air.

And yeah, it should probably say classic RPGs, but I never played a classic RPG extensively before this one and happen to really enjoy it.

Chaos17

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...inity-original-sin-if-you-enjoy-rpgs#/slide/1

It's such a huge jump going from the streamlined style of 95%+ of modern games to Divinity: Original Sin, but once you get over the hump (if you need to, like me) it's such a breath of fresh air.

And yeah, it should probably say classic RPGs, but I never played a classic RPG extensively before this one and happen to really enjoy it.

Glad to know that you were able to overcome this :)

Gaz_RB

Glad to see your thoughts turned around and that you are enjoying it!

So I'm in the witches grotto and the tattered diary mentions
a hidden chest full of valuables..

Do you have pet pal?

So I'm in the witches grotto and the tattered diary mentions
a hidden chest full of valuables..

did you save the boar? it sniffs it out. Then you have to manually dig around for it.

It is in the southeastern part of the cave, raised dead end that serves no purpose. It doesn't have any special treasure either, not really worth the effort. I got some trash gear and a lvl 1 spell book.

Arkeus

Party formations, basiclly how your members will group up and move by default.

It also influences how your party begins combat- they sometimes move a bit at the beginning of combat when there are ambush, and formations decide what they do.

Levyne

Banned
Do you have pet pal?

Yes..

The rat doesn't seem helpful. :( He mentions a
mangoth

did you save the boar? it sniffs it out. Then you have to manually dig around for it.

It is in the southeastern part of the cave, raised dead end that serves no purpose. It doesn't have any special treasure either, not really worth the effort. I got some trash gear and a lvl 1 spell book.

Hmm, I'm actually not sure about the question. Weird. Maybe I did things in a different order. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Zeliard

Haha being level 7 and managing to meet
King Braccus
is a fight I can't win, doesn't matter how much I try to outsmart him.XD

EDIT: seems I was level 8, still feels impossible.XD

I beat him and his cronies with a level 7-8 party on Hard. It was one of the most exhilarating fights I've ever had in an RPG. Lasted like 25 minutes too.

I hate how you setup your site so you have to use pictures to read what your wrote.

Haha being level 7 and managing to meet
King Braccus
is a fight I can't win, doesn't matter how much I try to outsmart him.XD

EDIT: seems I was level 8, still feels impossible.XD

The first time I fought the battle, the boss did the fire explosion move and insta killed a character and brought other 2 characters below half health for his first move.

So I reloaded and put extra res on the character that died. Guy didn't start off with that move and the battle was easier. Still took forever though. Blind works on everything except the main boss I believe.

I was level 7-8

Zakalwe

Banned
The first time I fought the battle, the boss did the fire explosion move and insta killed a character and brought other 2 characters below half health for his first move.

So I reloaded and put extra res on the character that died. Guy didn't start off with that move and the battle was easier. Still took forever though. Blind works on everything except the main boss I believe.

I was level 7-8

I put vases in front of the door, left a tiny gap, goaded
Mr Rex
through, then closed it. Took them down one at a time.

The
skeleton
managed to squeeze through somehow, but the others just sat there.

Bit cheesy, but the fact the game lets you try (and get away with) stuff like this is just awesome.

I also had his
Axe drop,
looks absolutely badass.

Zeliard

For a game with this amount of content and with these many interlocking systems, the level of polish is nothing short of remarkable.

The only bug I've seen is the mayor of the first town stopped walking and would just teleport around to his destination. I'm quite surprised at how well the game has turned out. I'm so use to Bethesda and companies just not having the time/money/skill to fix these thigns.

JLeack

Banned
For a game with this amount of content and with these many interlocking systems, the level of polish is nothing short of remarkable.

I'm curious how large Larian Studios is. I bet they have < 40 people and still manage to make RPGs better than Square Enix.

The only bug I've seen is the mayor of the first town stopped walking and would just teleport around to his destination. I'm quite surprised at how well the game has turned out. I'm so use to Bethesda and companies just not having the time/money/skill to fix these thigns.

I've ran into a few minor bugs. One time I got stuck by trying to steal in the middle of an event, just had to teleport out to get moving again. Sometimes the game will think my weapon is drawn when it isn't, and the NPCs will react as such.

Top Bottom