• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

VandalD

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how people managed to go about dealing with Bicky the Bomber. What I did was
teleport him out of the room into the hallway, where he exploded
but that seems kinda messy.
Exactly what I did. I figured it was the best way,
even if it made a mess, since I didn't want him to die anywhere close to the woman. I told him to calm down, that I wasn't going to try anything, then promptly teleported his ass into a table.
So has anyone in here actually already finished the game to say something about playtime, how many areas there are etc?
Game's huge. I'm about 50 hours in, and the end isn't in sight for me.
how is this game? i need an rpg to play NOW, am starving for one. tired of all the absolute lame shooters and lame action games. i need some some rpg love. yes? no?
If you like tactical RPG combat, you should get this now.

hemtae

how is this game? i need an rpg to play NOW, am starving for one. tired of all the absolute lame shooters and lame action games. i need some some rpg love. yes? no?

Definitely yes. Although I suppose I should ask just what you're expecting the game to be.

OmegaDL50

So has anyone in here actually already finished the game to say something about playtime, how many areas there are etc?

As far as I know, no one beat the game in this topic yet.

According to Steam there is 0.1% people that beat the game per the achievement statistics.

A user over at GameFAQs claims they beat the game in a mere 35 hours by just rushing through the main quest and becoming OP, which I find rather dubious.

In fact most of the side quests is where a significant portion of experience is obtained, and becoming "Overpowered" and ignoring most of the experience giving quests just doesn't correlate at all. It simply doesn't add up. The only reasonable suggestion would imply using a trainer or some sort of hex editor like Cheat Engine and doing that would basically ruin the experience and be completely pointless.

Kinthalis

Banned
Question - I'm playing this game on my laptop. I have a intel core i7 at 2.4 GHz, with a intel HD 4600 graphics card with 8 GB of RAM.

For all intents and purposes, I don't meet the minimum requirements as listed on steam, yet I can still run this game at 1080p at medium settings. Why is that? It's really annoying because certain games I can run no problem, yet others it's next to impossible. Dark Souls, Divinity, MG: Rising, no problem. Yet a game like Watch Dogs, nearly unplayable.

This game was specificlaly optimized for intel 4000 series APU's. Also, it's nto exactly demanding in terms of 3D hardware.

Watchdogs was almost certainly not optimized for an intle APU (they aren't very good compared ot AMD's offerings or discreet GPUS), and it's a much more demanding game in terms of GPU requirements.

Carlius

Banned
Definitely yes. Although I suppose I should ask just what you're expecting the game to be.

i love the genre and ive played everything trhere is to play in it. now am wondering if this is worth it. looks good from trailer, and i would love to hear an opinion on it

Zukuu

Banned
i love the genre and ive played everything trhere is to play in it. now am wondering if this is worth it. looks good from trailer, and i would love to hear an opinion on it
Just read the "fastest selling larian game" topic, or skim through the early pages of this thread. also, it currently has 9.3 on metacritic's user rating:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/divinity-original-sin

The game is so unbelievable good, it's staggering that a game like this hasn't been made earlier. In particular in the aspect of the combat.

Santiako

Deep on the second map, I now have more open ends that I ever had in Cyseal. This game will consume my life D:
fukken love it

Armaros

It has one of the most polished crpgs to come out in the last decade. The world is immersive with a whimsical and humorous tone, like with all Larian games. It also has a very deep and tactical turn based combat system were you are encouraged to manipulate the enviorment with elemental combos.

Think about this, my Mage casts a spell to drop oil on my enemies, my ranger fires a fire arrow to ignite it. My other Mage uses a rain spell to get rid of the fire, now there is a steam cloud in its place. If I hit that cloud with a lightning bolt, the entire steam cloud becomes electrified and everyone inside gets stunned.

And that's just a taste of what you can come up with.

Carlius

Banned
It has one of the most polished crpgs to come out in the last decade. With a very deep and tactical turn based combat system were you are encouraged to manipulate the enviorment with elemental combos.

Think about this, my Mage casts a spell to drop oil on my enemies, my ranger fires a fire arrow to ignite it. My other Mage uses a rain spell to get rid of the fire, now there is a steam cloud in its place. If I hit that cloud with a lightning bolt, the entire steam cloud becomes electrified and everyone inside gets stunned.

done. Am so sold on that. thank my man.

Lingitiz

I think it was in the interview with Eurogamer, they said they had 35 people work on this game.

The crazy thing is that they also had the time to release last year's Divinity Dragon Commander. Larian seems like a really fantastic team. They might not ever reach super stardom like a CDPR, but they don't really need to.

This game was specificlaly optimized for intel 4000 series APU's. Also, it's nto exactly demanding in terms of 3D hardware.

Watchdogs was almost certainly not optimized for an intle APU (they aren't very good compared ot AMD's offerings or discreet GPUS), and it's a much more demanding game in terms of GPU requirements.

Interesting. Yeah, I've always figured my laptop was kind of like the equivalent of being able to run PC games at PS3 level of visuals. Which usually translates to 720p at medium settings. Is Ubisoft not doing the best of optimizing their games this generation thus far? My laptop can even run the Witcher 2 at visuals slightly above PS3/X360.

Much obliged.

I think I broke the game. Only enchanted my armor and belt (both of which I will probably wear till I finish the game) + the talent "Wheather the Storm". Along with LEECH I pretty much think I'm invincible now and can solo the rest of the game on level 15. lol
2014-07-06_000057bjpy.jpg

Everything HEALS me. (I actually have ~150 armor. enrage was still on :p)

What is funny, is that I still wear the level 1 Sarong on my melee. All I find have int requirement. Both of my other chars wear legendary sarongs.

Wow. Maybe switch the difficulty to hard mode?

Kinthalis

Banned
Interesting. Yeah, I've always figured my laptop was kind of like the equivalent of being able to run PC games at PS3 level of visuals. Which usually translates to 720p at medium settings. Is Ubisoft not doing the best of optimizing their games this generation thus far? My laptop can even run the Witcher 2 at visuals slightly above PS3/X360.

They are unrealible and inconsistent.

AC 2 was well optimized, but every other one has suffered from optimizaiton issues. Same with Watchdogs. On the other hand, most of their PC exlcusive games work well on PC hardware.

Mind you, even with optimizaiton issues I'd take an Ubisoft game on PC over the console version... it's not like they do that much better on consoles.

Zukuu

Banned
Wow. Maybe switch the difficulty to hard mode?
I already do, although I think it's badly implemented. It only decreases vitality by 25% (don't think of the total either), decreases hit chance by 10% and increases enemies hit chance by 20% - both of which are at this point very neglectable.

I already do, although I think it's badly implemented. It only decreases vitality by 25% (don't think of the total either), decreases hit chance by 10% and increases enemies hit chance by 20% - both of which are at this point very neglectable.

Yeah, but I'd rather have that type of hard mode balance then them simply making enemies have a bajallion more hit points like most devs do.

Zukuu

Banned
Yeah, but I'd rather have that type of hard mode balance then them simply making enemies have a bajallion more hit points like most devs do.
Trying to enforce it via random hit chance is not a good way either. There needs to be a fair balance. Slightly more HP isn't bad imo. I'd also rather see the enemies improved and not myself gimped. e.g. +20% more damage, hp and hit chance. maybe add +1AP recovry or something for them. That should be a 'harder'.

Btw, how can I craft Tenebrium weapons myself?
edit: Found it out: just drag a bar onto a weapon to give it bonus Tenebrium weapon. Do note that it changes your weapon from One / Two Handed to Tenebrium, meaning you lose the bonus i from the respectively skill. In my case (2h level 7) I end up doing WAY WAY less damage, making them not even remotely worth it. The enchant is barely better than a normal element enchant anyway.

Zeliard

Trying to enforce it via random hit chance is not a good way either. There needs to be a fair balance. Slightly more HP isn't bad imo. I'd also rather see the enemies improved and not myself gimped. e.g. +20% more damage, hp and hit chance. maybe add +1AP recovry or something for them. That should be a 'harder'.

Btw, how can I craft Tenebrium weapons myself?

Decreasing hit chance is a fine way to increase difficulty, since it puts more focus on certain abilities that may be more trivial in lower difficulties. It rewards knocking enemies down for the 100% hit chance, emphasizes spells like Bless which give a boost to hit%+, generally puts more focus on spells and skills that don't suffer from accuracy penalties, and so on. It pushes you to use more of the tools at your disposal.

And the enemies getting a boost in hit% and the player a decrease in HP means that it's in your best interest to debilitate them rather than simply trading shots, and as such rewards greater use of the environment and crowd control abilities.

I think Hard difficulty is very well-pitched.

Does lone wolf mean I can't use summons with that character? Thinking of making my battlemage line wolf but I want to be able to use summons.

Chaos17

Much obliged.

I think I broke the game. Only enchanted my armor and belt (both of which I will probably wear till I finish the game) + the talent "Wheather the Storm". Along with LEECH I pretty much think I'm invincible now and can solo the rest of the game on level 15. lol
2014-07-06_000057bjpy.jpg

Everything HEALS me. (I actually have ~150 armor. enrage was still on :p)

What is funny, is that I still wear the level 1 Sarong on my melee. All I find have int requirement. Both of my other chars wear legendary sarongs.

i'm terribly sorry to confirm that yes you might have broken the game unless there will be ennemies who will debuff/CC you or hit (physically) you really hard like in Diablo 3 so they might out heal you.

If they released AI personalities within the next couple weeks I'd have to restrain myself from starting over. Single-player is fun without them but not nearly as good as they could have been.

Just an fyi according to the Larian forums they are targeting next week for the AIs to be patched in last I read.

JLeack

Banned
Hmm. I wonder if a mod will be created which allows you to respawn the Reveal Scroll. It appears mine vanished from my inventory. I've looked everywhere for it to no avail. :(

badb0y

I really want to buy this game but I have never played this type of game before (I know, shocking). Based on the following preferences, would you recommend I buy it?

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:
Dragon Age Origins(found combat to be crap)
The Elder Scrolls(boring as fuck)

What do you guys think? I have seen some YouTube/Twitch.tv videos and the combat seems really fun. How strong is the main storyline?

JLeack

Banned
I really want to buy this game but I have never played this type of game before (I know, shocking). Based on the following preferences, would you recommend I buy it?

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:

What do you guys think? I have seen some YouTube/Twitch.tv videos and the combat seems really fun. How strong is the main storyline?

The games you enjoy are action oriented. The pacing of this game is very slow. It's all about settling in and immersing yourself. It took me 10 hours of patience to do so.

Santiako

Hmm. I wonder if a mod will be created which allows you to respawn the Reveal Scroll. It appears mine vanished from my inventory. I've looked everywhere for it to no avail. :(

Nothing vanishes afaik, its either were you dropped it or in the vendor you sold it to.

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:

You enjoy Action RPGs and the only non-action RPG on the list, you dislike.

You would hate it.

Chaos17

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:

You seems more into action and a-rpg type.
This game is slow but maybe you will find some fun in the battle system ?
I advise you to watch some let's play and see if you can bear it for at least 1 hour, imo.
Cause you won't have some real fight soon if you explore everything in the city.
People take between 10 or 15 hours to go out of the city to continue quests.

Is there anyone that sells fire/earth spells in the first town? I have no idea how to build my battlemage. He just ends up being a warrior.

ZoddGutts

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:

I only see one RPG series on your like games the others are just Action games/dungeon crawlers with light RPG elements.

ElyrionX

My mages are level 3 and I can't find the basic spells like Rain and Oil anywhere. The merchants in the city are only selling higher level spells now. I can't use those level 9 skill books that they are selling. Any tips?

Hastati

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:

I would wager that this game isn't anything like those games. It's much more old school. This is the first game in awhile that I feel truly succeeds at being a ROLE-PLAYING game. It isn't a loot-fest or an action game, it's really about inhabiting a role and doing weird/funny shit to mess with the universe you are in. And also the core principle of exploration and discovery, the joy of finding things through grit and imaginative use of your surroundings.

I would say that anybody who enjoys the basic principle of an RPG, role-playing, would enjoy this game, as long as they go in with an open mind.

The combat is also much deeper than it looks on the surface, and although it has some flaws, the groundwork they have laid is already very enjoyable and allows for many different styles of play. It will only get better through mods and further updates. As it stands, even with all of its tiny niggling problems, I'd say it's still a better RPG in terms of combat, environmental interaction/exploration and even narrative than most games on the market. It's a huge playground full of fun things to do, and a decent amount of challenge if you don't go out of your way to break the game.

Lastly, the main storyline is campy and doesn't take itself too seriously, but the open nature of its direction leads into the exploration-based gameplay extremely well. The story is built to allow you to go at your own pace, and the lack of hand-holding helps immerse you into the world.

If any of these aspects sound appealing to you, then I would jump on it. It's worth it!

nbthedude

My mages are level 3 and I can't find the basic spells like Rain and Oil anywhere. The merchants in the city are only selling higher level spells now. I can't use those level 9 skill books that they are selling. Any tips?
Check the guy on the second floor of the Legionnaires Headquarters (where you report to th Captain). Also the witch on the second floor of the Inn.

Dark Souls
Diablo 1,2,3
PoE
Torchlight 1,2
Most MMOs
Fallout 3,4

Dislikes:

get it. no hesitation

Zukuu

Banned
You can buy it from the merchant in the market but if you're level 3 or above like me then you're out of luck because it disappears from their inventory as far as I can tell.
Vendors have random stock. They unlock higher level skills depending on your level, but they will sell lower level spells all game long. Just quick save before you browse a vendor and reload until he has the desired skill. They don't sell all spells tho.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I'm just going to stop playing until they patch this shit. Randomized dungeon loot is seriously awful and lazy game design and randomized merchant loot is even worse. WTF is this shit.

ElyrionX

Vendors have random stock. They unlock higher level skills depending on your level, but they will sell lower level spells all game long. Just quick save before you browse a vendor and reload until he has the desired skill. They don't sell all spells tho.

It's not based on loading or reloading. I've tried it. The merchant loot stays the same and none of them sell level 1 skills anymore.

Top Bottom