• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

goblin

So has anyone in here actually already finished the game to say something about playtime, how many areas there are etc?

I finished the game with my Steam clock at 80 hours. Considering how often I left it running in the background (all day July 4th when an errand turned into a barbecue) and that it crashed pretty frequently and wouldn't register as closed, I'd put my total hour count at more like 55-60. I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I was pretty thorough with crossing off quests that showed up in my journal. Also, due to some bugs, I think I ended up skipping most of the final dungeon.

As for areas:
There are four major maps, which all felt equally large and developed.

Smart to specialize in daggers and bows for a rogue?
I did this, but not equally -- maxed Scoundrel skills first, then branched into Marksmanship in the mid-game while keeping Lockpicking/Sneaking/Pickpocketing at 2 each and boosting them with items when needed. I started doing it because I got a run of really good bows/crossbows but zero worthwhile daggers, and was happy to find that the special arrows added a lot of versatility. Didn't bump One-handed past one point or Bows and Crossbows at all, though.

Toward the end of the game, though, when my Scoundrel had 4+ movement (or enough to re-adjust for backstabs without using AP) and was bolstered by elemental shield spells/haste, he was dishing out too much damage with 2AP backstabs to make 3/5 AP ranged attacks worth it.

Major mid-game mechanics spoiler about weapon skills and character building:
By the time I was going to start investing points into the Weapons skills, I had unlocked Tenebrium training -- which applies to weapons of all types, starts with a free point of training, boosts the damage of the best weapons in the game, and renders all other weapon skills and the points you put into them completely worthless. You can respec eventually, but it requires you to re-acquire skill books. If you can and want to do a hybrid build, try to either hold out on putting points into weapon skills until you get Tenebrium training or stockpile duplicates of the skill books you want for use after your respec.

This ability sounds insanely fun, I can't use it because I don't have anyone with Scoundrel though

Teleporting one of these onto a pack of enemies after you've littered the area with ooze and oil barrels that you dropped while you were invisible is a lot of fun.

How do I get to the
Troll King
? I'm looking but finding no clue whatsoever.

You need a specific item from another quest first.

Hint:
It involves a wounded Immaculate cultist and starts in the windy, dry area.

Finished a long session with my co-op partner a while ago, and I can't stop thinking about this game ;~;.
Got to Act 2, and I'm loving it.

Eternia

Progressing further into the second map, I did not like the
tenebrium mines
at all. Running aimlessly around while I'm not even sure what I was looking for with invincible guards patrolling. I guess I stopped reading some of the journal/npc texts. What didn't help was missing the part that I could
whack the wall just to the left of the entrance to get to the totem I needed. Didn't realize I could do that

Gaz_RB

Yeah, I figure before I fight this dude, I want to level once or twice.

Also, does respec ever open up?

It should already be open at the End of Time. One of the portals, talk to a demon.

Progressing further into the second map, I did not like the
tenebrium mines
at all. Running aimlessly around while I'm not even sure what I was looking for with invincible guards patrolling. I guess I stopped reading some of the journal/npc texts. What didn't help was missing the part that I could
whack the wall just to the left of the entrance to get to the totem I needed. Didn't realize I could do that

Yup. The forced stealth was really the low point of the game for me.

Yo Goblin, let me ask you something

SO I'm in the underground temple and just fought the poison and fire demons and now I'm downstairs trying to get into the room with the diary. I found 3 buttons but I have no idea how to get into that room!

Help a brother out.

FtHTiny

SO I'm in the underground temple and just fought the poison and fire demons and now I'm downstairs trying to get into the room with the diary. I found 3 buttons but I have no idea how to get into that room!

Help a brother out

There is another button and a book that tells you the right combination for pressing them. Watch the stairs closely. ;)

goblin

Yo Goblin, let me ask you something

That place sucks. You're missing one.

There are four buttons. One on the floor in the front of the room right above the compass (south), one on the east side of the middle room's wall near a shelf (east), and then if I'm remembering right there's one on in the far northern room's western wall (north), and lastly on the west room's northern wall (west).

They need to be hit in a certain order, too, and I forget exactly what it is. I want to say South, East, West, North or maybe South, East, North, West. I just split my party and trial-and-error'd it. Pretty sure they click if hit in the right order. Good luck!

edit: Glad you figured it out! Yeah, button hunting in general is probably the low part of the game's puzzle design for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to "unlock" a chest in the inn in the first town and a legionnaire caught me, which promptly aggro'd the entire inn. I hadn't saved for a while, so I went for it. A few minutes later, everyone who attacked me lay dead on the floor of the inn. I assumed I would have pretty much screwed my entire game over, but surprisingly no one seemed to know or care what happened after I left the place. No complaints from me!

Froli

After an hour of looking everywhere, I found it. Thank the heavens!

pdTuRF5.jpg

Lmao... xD

Yasae

Banned
I agree that the vendor randomization is bullshit. You might have figured this out already but here's an easy way to game the system:

Wait until one character levels up. Now that you leveled, all vendor stock will shuffle but this only happens the next time you speak with a vendor. So save right after leveling but before you talk to a vendor. Check the vendor's stock, reload if you don't find what you're looking for.

While the game would be even better with more hand-placed loot, I don't cheese the drops/chests. I have no problems with savescumming the skillbook vendors though!
It is bullshit. If you're going to do random loot, have strict parameters on what you give. The way this game works, you could save scum and end up with various equipment, or diamonds, or worthless items like thread. It's even worse that lucky charm doesn't seem to factor in at all when opening gear chests (i.e. usually ones that are locked and have keys).

Then they continue this with the vendors. One time you find plenty of sinew for crafting, another save you find completely the opposite. I sat there and wondered as a player, "What the fuck is the point of this except to make the game more frustrating?" It's not to make it more replayable or simulate supply and demand.

I have found good loot (mostly without scumming) often enough to stop my complaints there, but this area of the game sorely needs to be looked at again.

docbon

The damage amplifier abilities could probably use diminishing returns of some sort.

Crafted gear could use a slight nerf as well. Czech this out:

1Ow86gK.jpg

My buddy and I walked up to the second chapter boss and stacked oath of desecration, rage, power stance, and the leadership bonus on one character and then used flurry. With the crafted axe in hand, he hit him for 2500+ damage, which was about 95%~ of the boss' health bar.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how people managed to go about dealing with Bicky the Bomber. What I did was
teleport him out of the room into the hallway, where he exploded
but that seems kinda messy.

I had Jahan cast rain to make his fuse go out.

Shahadan

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how people managed to go about dealing with Bicky the Bomber. What I did was
teleport him out of the room into the hallway, where he exploded
but that seems kinda messy.

Jahan's spell causing Chill status also works

HoosTrax

The damage amplifier abilities could probably use diminishing returns of some sort.

Crafted gear could use a slight nerf as well. Czech this out:

1Ow86gK.jpg

My buddy and I walked up to the second chapter boss and stacked oath of desecration, rage, power stance, and the leadership bonus on one character and then used flurry. With the crafted axe in hand, he hit him for 2500+ damage, which was about 95%~ of the boss' health bar.
Needs Tenebrium damage boost :).

ElyrionX

I'm beginning to think that the murder quest is bugged for me. I got the four suspects already but talking to all of them yields nothing. I've looked up walkthroughs online and I've tried them but things don't seem to be moving still.

Arkeus

I'm beginning to think that the murder quest is bugged for me. I got the four suspects already but talking to all of them yields nothing. I've looked up walkthroughs online and I've tried them but things don't seem to be moving still.

Try to look in the different suspects' places and see what you can find that would be incriminating, etc.

For those that are familiar with the game by now, which two classes should I choose? I want the easiest noob-friendly playthrough possible. I generally suck at games lol

Sentenza

For those that are familiar with the game by now, which two classes should I choose? I want the easiest noob-friendly playthrough possible. I generally suck at games lol
I started with a Knight and a rogue. I'm doing fine but I never got the impression I couldn't have managed some part of the game if I was using different characters.
Plus, it's a party-based games. With what you start is not as relevant as how you build your team.

Dipper145

With the two early game companions that you get, I would say that a pyro/geomancer and marksman/scoundrel would probably be best? Just because it gives you almost all the options for the skills, except for witch I believe?

Are there any good guides for which stats to choose for specific characters? I have a cleric and enchanter and now that they've leveled, I have no idea which stats to choose. Also, are cleric/enchanter a good combo?

Zakalwe

Banned
I guess hunting for the witch is the plot
, but it is a bad one. Right now I'm just running around, finding uninteresting little story after uninteresting little story. The encounters have gotten worse too. Seems to be relying more on stuff popping up around you instead of being able to somewhat plan ahead.

I started out with witch cleric and 2handed fighter. Witch pumps up the fighter, blinds, and heals. Just get henchmen later.

No, the overall plot revolves around the emergence of source magic as a prominent force, something is shaping the world and everything's getting darker.

Zombies appearing around towns, strange new cults growing in power and convincing reasonable people to do wicked things, long dead and terrible kings returned from beyond the grave, murder, necromancy, danger...

It's all connected.

I think it's one of the best narratives I've seen in a long time. No need to make it overly dramatic and cinematic to sell a shallow plot, this is a world going to hell and a few adventurers getting caught up in the powers that are trying to drag it into darkness.

The connection between all these events, the way your interactions changes subtle things and explicit things, the way one tiny discovery you dismiss as unreleased branches out in to something important makes this world feel alive more than most games I think you'd likely list with more engaging plots.

Also, those "encounters getting worse" are actually "encounters getting more complex". You being flanked from the start forces you to think more about positioning instead if having the luxury of setting up before hand. This is a good thing imo, thinking on your feet to solve encounters is one of the best parts of combat.

Zakalwe

Banned

It's more likely you've overlooked something. Add me on steam and I can talk you through it if you're still stuck. Username the same as here, picture of a cat as my avatar.

This is what I want to know.

Are they all as big as Cyseal? Cos I've barely even set foot outside the town yet, and I've racked up hours already. Maybe because I play these games like Kleptomaniac Simulator 2014

4 maps comparable in size to Cyseal.
6 smaller.

Is there a resurrection spellbook available in Cyseal?

EDIT: there is a spell book. Witchcraft. See posts below!

Ahzrei

Banned
I'm having trouble finding
the captain in the first city. they won't let me into the crime scene until I talk to him, but I have no idea where he is.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Zakalwe

Banned
Can you make spellbooks from scrolls? If so, how? :)

Make
2 elemental scrolls
and combine them.

Craft list here.

I'm having trouble finding
the captain in the first city. they won't let me into the crime scene until I talk to him, but I have no idea where he is.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What is he the captain of?

Where would you think the captain of what he's a captain of would be?

Check your map, check all the buildings...

elithrar

I find ranged (i.e. bows/crossbows) extremely viable—unlike many other CRPGs where bow-users aren't always A++—due to the huge variety of magical arrows in the game.

Ahzrei

Banned
What is he the captain of?

Where would you think the captain of what he's a captain of would be?

Check your map, check all the buildings...

Went through that thought process.
I checked the legionnaire's camp, where they have all the tents, and the mess hall/kitchen. I thought I had checked all the buildings, but I must have missed one.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sounds like plenty. =)
Plans for any more? I looked around to find out, but couldn't find anything in regards to future plans. (Hindered somewhat by the web filters on my work PC)

Not sure about official releases, but I opened up them mod tools yesterday and had a quick look at the tutorials, and it seems incredibly powerful and easy to use. I think user content for this game is going to be something special.

Went through that thought process.
I checked the legionnaire's camp, where they have all the tents, and the mess hall/kitchen. I thought I had checked all the buildings, but I must have missed one.

You definitely missed one.

You were on the right track.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
I'm stuck on the 2nd map, so I'm posting here hoping that someone may be kind enough to enlighten me. It's about the Silverglen Mine:

I'm at the part where you escape the Death Knights after meating Leandra. I managed to get away with the teleport mirror, but now I'm stuck in a loop. Specifically, I've been to the Library, Crypt, Entrance Hall and Office, but that's all the destinations I have. I figured I'd need some stuff from the office to trigger an extra option, but even after finding & reading all 4 notes, the book and spell, nothing changes.

I also talked to the ghost in the crypt, but he's of no use. I suspect I need something to trigger extra responses or something, but I can't for the life of me find out what it is. As far as I can tell, I really have picked up & read rverything, but maybe I'm missing something.

FtHTiny

I'm stuck on the 2nd map, so I'm posting here hoping that someone may be kind enough to enlighten me. It's about the Silverglen Mine:

I'm at the part where you escape the Death Knights after meating Leandra. I managed to get away with the teleport mirror, but now I'm stuck in a loop. Specifically, I've been to the Library, Crypt, Entrance Hall and Office, but that's all the destinations I have. I figured I'd need some stuff from the office to trigger an extra option, but even after finding & reading all 4 notes, the book and spell, nothing changes.

I also talked to the ghost in the crypt, but he's of no use. I suspect I need something to trigger extra responses or something, but I can't for the life of me find out what it is. As far as I can tell, I really have picked up & read rverything, but maybe I'm missing something.

Did you run in both direction in the entrance hall?

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Did you run in both direction in the entrance hall?

I did, but in the south there was only a chest with random loot and a bunch of lava and to the north there was only the mirror. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: NVM. Found it!

I really thought it was just lava at the south, but apparently there was a small path after all.

Top Bottom