• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Yeah, I'm just going to stop playing until they patch this shit. Randomized dungeon loot is seriously awful and lazy game design and randomized merchant loot is even worse. WTF is this shit.

what? They aren't patching that. Fast travel somewhere, I've never tried reloading just to get new stocks. I can assure you that you get level 1 spells all through the game at vendors though. You need to calm down.

On another topic, game is still losing steam after the first map. I'm just walking around now running into random shit.

ElyrionX

Oh wait, you're serious.

It is lazy because it takes far more effort to place loot carefully to shape the player's experience instead of leaving it to RNG. In a single player game, there is absolutely no reason to use randomized loot especially for merchants loot list. Can you imagine if a game like BG2 had randomized loot?

Zukuu

Banned
It's not based on loading or reloading. I've tried it. The merchant loot stays the same and none of them sell level 1 skills anymore.
When they spawn (which happens when you change the zone and come back, maybe if you reboot the game as well), they do. Just save BEFORE you talk to them.

lol, lava heals me now 1k per tick xD

JLeack

Banned
what? They aren't patching that. Fast travel somewhere, I've never tried reloading just to get new stocks. I can assure you that you get level 1 spells all through the game at vendors though. You need to calm down.

On another topic, game is still losing steam after the first map. I'm just walking around now running into random shit.

Are you saying the game is getting worse for you? I'm curious what you think...

ElyrionX

When they spawn (which happens when you change the zone and come back, maybe if you reboot the game as well), they do. Just save BEFORE you talk to them.

lol, lava heals me now 1k per tick xD

Tried traveling to End of Time and back again several times as well as restarting the game. Merchant loot list didn't change. I loaded back to an earlier save when I was still level 2 and the merchant loot list is different. I think I read somewhere that the merchant loot list is refreshed only when you level up. So I think I am out of luck until I hit level 4. Seriously flawed design here.

EDIT: Loaded to a few more saves I had from earlier the game and yes, I think the merchant loot list gets refreshed on leveling.

What are the benefits for choosing to life quickly or slowly, when asked by the
Pavilion of Life
?

If you haven't figured it out yet, it
puts a skill book in your inventory. Midnight Oil if you choose slow and Wildfire if you choose quick.

Gaz_RB

Are you saying the game is getting worse for you? I'm curious what you think...

After the first map, there is this lull period where the game sort of seems to get a little boring when you don't know where to go. It ramps back up quickly though. I'm having a fucking blast at the later areas.

So far there isn't a central story holding the thing together like the death plot.
You just go from one situation to the next looking for someone.

Everything is most certainly connected. Maybe you just haven't connected enough dots yet. But yeah it's a bit different from the first map since you don't spend much time in a hub town. It could be more or less fun depending on how much of an explorer type you are. It's still full of stuff to do.

It's not based on loading or reloading. I've tried it. The merchant loot stays the same and none of them sell level 1 skills anymore.

You could always just craft the skill books you want.

elithrar

What starting classes—specifically, skill load-outs—are people finding effective during the early game?

I've been running a 1H+S Cleric w/ heal, charge & slow, and a 2H Fighter w/ charge, dust devil & fist but found slow and dust devil to be pretty lackluster. Slow seems to have a tiny radius and dust devil's damage isn't worth being surrounded by 4-5 skeletons.

Considering trying out a Witch/Wayfarer or Witch/Cleric to mesh with
the Air/Hydro Mage & 2H melee henchmen you meet early on
. The spell combos are just so damned powerful against larger groups or ranged enemies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wait,
after killing tannin, where the hell are my equipment?

Nvm,got them back. Was worried for awhile there.

Everything is most certainly connected. Maybe you just haven't connected enough dots yet. But yeah it's a bit different from the first map since you don't spend much time in a hub town. It could be more or less fun depending on how much of an explorer type you are. It's still full of stuff to do.

I guess hunting for the witch is the plot
, but it is a bad one. Right now I'm just running around, finding uninteresting little story after uninteresting little story. The encounters have gotten worse too. Seems to be relying more on stuff popping up around you instead of being able to somewhat plan ahead.

What starting classes—specifically, skill load-outs—are people finding effective during the early game?

I've been running a 1H+S Cleric w/ heal, charge & slow, and a 2H Fighter w/ charge, dust devil & fist but found slow and dust devil to be pretty lackluster. Slow seems to have a tiny radius and dust devil's damage isn't worth being surrounded by 4-5 skeletons.

. The spell combos are just so damned powerful against larger groups or ranged enemies.
I started out with witch cleric and 2handed fighter. Witch pumps up the fighter, blinds, and heals. Just get henchmen later.

Gaz_RB

Just in terms of tone or are there some nice, grotesque locations to go along with that? I've been busy with school and other games so I just finished the first area, really looking forward to what comes next.

It's kind of hard to describe without spoiling it. It's just that so far the game has been pretty fairy tale-esque, and now it seems to be taking sort of a turn as you learn more about certain things.

I walked into a sort of secret area and felt a little nauseous at it's grotesqueness. I wouldn't say tonally though, because most of it is sort of behind the scenes.

-----

Also, for everyone leaving the first area and moving into the forest-focus on finding the White Witch rather than worrying about the rest of the map. That's where the fun of Act 2 begins.

Zukuu

Banned

Dust Devil, Charge, Heal (warrior)
Minor Regeneration, Blitz and/or Ice Shard. The lvl 1 witchrcaft +50% damgabe buff stays useful throughout the whole game. Summon spider is also INCREDIBLE useful early on.

It is lazy because it takes far more effort to place loot carefully to shape the player's experience instead of leaving it to RNG. In a single player game, there is absolutely no reason to use randomized loot especially for merchants loot list. Can you imagine if a game like BG2 had randomized loot?

Yes, they did far less work, but are you honestly going to tell me that they should have used time and resources placing stuff individually all over a 100+ hour game instead of just leaving it to a dice roll so they could focus elsewhere?

ElyrionX

Yeah, at level 3? I can't even combine empty scrolls to get blank skill books yet. And you need the relevant skill scroll to craft a skill book. I'd go out to find the stuff I need but since all loot is randomized.......

All that fancy stuff about how you can create fire AOEs with a fire spell and oil and then changing it to steam cloud with rain and then using lightning to stun everyone? Yeah, can't do that shit unless I resort to hoarding barrels or something because some genius thought it'd be good to randomize merchant loot lists to sell me skillbooks that I can't use until I gain another SIX levels instead of the stuff that I can actually use right now.

Gaz_RB

speaking of which, what do I need to do in that town?
I was in the prison and can do nothing at all.

Well, I am currently in the process of killing absolutely everyone in the town, I'll let you know once I finish :D

I lost the enlightened amulet so I couldn't get into the town any other way. If you cross the bridge in the south of that area (to the Dark Forest) and kill the toll troll, he has an amulet you can use to get into town.

Zukuu

Banned
Well, I am currently in the process of killing absolutely everyone in the town, I'll let you know once I finish :D

I lost the enlightened amulet so I couldn't get into the town any other way. If you cross the bridge in the south of that area (to the Dark Forest) and kill the toll troll, he has an amulet you can use to get into town.

I have like 3 enlighten amulet always in my backpack. xD

So do get to the
Troll
I need to venture forth to the next map? Good to know. Currently trying to find the
mines
. Dunno if I'm right: NW corner of the 2nd map.

So... should Mage-related damage characters spec in Two-handed? I imagine the damage increase applies to spells?
Weapon damage is irrelevant for mages. Focus on your 2 spell schools (and maybe the others to level 1 or 2).

Gaz_RB

I have like 3 enlighten amulet always in my backpack. xD

So do get to the
Troll
I need to venture forth to the next map? Good to know. Currently trying to find the
mines
. Dunno if I'm right: NW corner of the 2nd map.

Oh you haven't found the mines?? Haha you are way ahead. Head back to Silverglen and head southeast. The path is a little windy through a bunch of goblins.

ElyrionX

Yes, they did far less work, but are you honestly going to tell me that they should have used time and resources placing stuff individually all over a 100+ hour game instead of just leaving it to a dice roll so they could focus elsewhere?

Yes, because in single-player RPGs like these, hand-placed loot adds a lot to the experience. Coming out of a tough fight and finding a powerful weapon feels rewarding and something like that should not be left up to RNG. Going to town and seeing a merchant sell something really powerful and expensive gives you something to aim for as well. BG2 had things like that going on and that contributed a lot to that game.

Randomized loot is especially bad in this particular game also also because all of the game's skills are learnt through skill books and not via leveling up. Since all of the skillbooks are obtained via RNG, things can get frustrating very fast as it has for me. I have been looking for the Rain book for the past two hours but I just found out that there's virtually no chance of me finding it until I gain a level and even then, it may not spawn at the merchant. Are you telling me that this is good game design and is something that they should not have spent further time and resources on?

There was a guy earlier in this thread who talked about how hard the game is and how the merchants were only selling high level skillbooks that he couldn't use. He got widely ridiculed here, of course, but now I know exactly what he is talking about.

badb0y

I'm buying it. It's going to be my first true RPG in this format. I hope I enjoy it but if not at least I am supporting a good developer. I am going in with an open-mind so wish me luck!

epmode

All that fancy stuff about how you can create fire AOEs with a fire spell and oil and then changing it to steam cloud with rain and then using lightning to stun everyone? Yeah, can't do that shit unless I resort to hoarding barrels or something because some genius thought it'd be good to randomize merchant loot lists to sell me skillbooks that I can't use until I gain another SIX levels instead of the stuff that I can actually use right now.

I agree that the vendor randomization is bullshit. You might have figured this out already but here's an easy way to game the system:

Wait until one character levels up. Now that you leveled, all vendor stock will shuffle but this only happens the next time you speak with a vendor. So save right after leveling but before you talk to a vendor. Check the vendor's stock, reload if you don't find what you're looking for.

While the game would be even better with more hand-placed loot, I don't cheese the drops/chests. I have no problems with savescumming the skillbook vendors though!

ElyrionX

I agree that the vendor randomization is bullshit. You might have figured this out already but here's an easy way to game the system:

Wait until one character levels up. Now that you leveled, all vendor stock will shuffle but this only happens the next time you speak with a vendor. So save right after leveling but before you talk to a vendor. Check the vendor's stock, reload if you don't find what you're looking for.

While the game would be even better with more hand-placed loot, I don't cheese the drops/chests. I have no problems with savescumming the skillbook vendors though!

Thanks. Any idea if this works if it's a companion/henchman that levels?

I am following this conversation with intent because it is where I am.

Karak

I'm buying it. It's going to be my first true RPG in this format. I hope I enjoy it but if not at least I am supporting a good developer. I am going in with an open-mind so wish me luck!

Honestly I just don't see how you won't enjoy it. It has more to offer than most AAA titles and is a hell of a lot deeper in gameplay than most.

Gaz_RB

That's the 3rd map tho, right? Was kinda short.
Phantom Forest
is the last map then I assume? I might be able to finish the game then in the next 30 hours or so!

I'm really not sure at all. There is so little information online about this game haha.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm really not sure at all. There is so little information online about this game haha.
I deduced that from the fact that you find one of the "4 chest sisters"; each should only be in "one of your realms" (paraphrasing here), which would be the 4 maps Larian was talking about. It would have been too big for a "sub map" for the 2nd one probably as well.

I found nothing in the town (except a book on how to handle Tiberium or whatever), but I headed up to the temple in the north of that area and now I'm rolling right along.

I love that area so much.

I tried that but found it too tough.

Just killed a group of level 16s, though, so I'm game now.

Top Bottom