• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Buy it now for £14.

Put £14 in your steam wallet.
Buy 10 keys from the market place.
Go to tf2outpost.
Find a seller and trade.

People say "but that's too much effort". Took me five minutes to find a seller, then just had to wait for her to appear online.

Easy money.

Thanks so much for this! I just got the game. Now to try to wait till the 30th

Zukuu

Banned
Thank you for bringing this up. It has always stuck me unbalanced that Mages needed to rely on a consumable resource to fuel their spell casting powers, while Warriors can just as easily deal large damage with physical strikes and not have any such impediment. Even worse when there are games that make using physical attacks ultimately do more damage then spells. So it's a double penalty for Magic (i.e being weak and requiring a resource to use)

Oddly a JRPG tried to balance this issue by making physically exerting attacks consume HP and mentally taxing skills as use MP. Such a concept didn't have such a warm reception, though despite the logical sense behind it.
Melee's have the disadvantage of being, well, melee ranged. HP is also your health pool, so unless you die when you run OOM or attacks don't consume HP, it's not a good off set imo. Like mentioned above, Stamina is a better system. Even better are CDs which have to be carefully used so you can't just keep them on CD without worry. Here it's limited by the AP you have, which is a great mechanism imo.

I need to try if both characters can have LEADERSHIP so both get a bonus. The bonus, even left on level 1, is seriously worth a talent point. +5 Initiative and +10% damage for all other characters. Additional levels yield +hit, +critical hit and more on top.

syko de4d

So will the editor release in 24hours and 30minutes when the twitch stream goes on? Or will they deploy the Editor uptade maybe already in around 6hours (26.6. europe time)?

I wouldnt wonder if there will be already some small 0.5-2hours long mods when the game get released.

Someone should recreate diablo2 as a cRPG with the Editor :D

Ezra2680

I really wish I would have picked this up the other day when it was on sale. Had no interest at the time for some reason, but after watching some people on twitch, it looks like an amazing game. Going to have to get it full price on the 30th if it doesn't go back on sale.

Minsc

Gold Member
Am I overlooking something obvious, or does it sound like the editor could be the next big thing since Neverwinter Nights for custom created content (specifically modules) in RPGs?

By extension I hope there's some sort of evolution of the engine before they move on to something entirely new. I know it's against their stance to nickel and dime their customers with paid DLC, so I'm not expecting that, but the improvement even just a year's worth of work in to an expansion goes a long way for a game engine and editor.

Ourobolus

Banned
This game snuck up on me the past few days. I randomly decided to take a glance and now it looks just utterly amazing. I may have to pick this up when I get back from my backpacking trip next week. Was the Steam deal good?

Zakalwe

Banned
I really wish I would have picked this up the other day when it was on sale. Had no interest at the time for some reason, but after watching some people on twitch, it looks like an amazing game. Going to have to get it full price on the 30th if it doesn't go back on sale.

See above (scroll up).

You can get it for £14 or so right now.

Stoof

Alright I'm someone who picked this up after knowing next to nothing about it and I'm super hyped for the 30th after messing around in the beta. I've never really played any cRPGs before and I'd love some recommendations on some good ones to play. I saw there were enhanced editions of the Baldurs Gate games on steam and I've heard good things about them, so I might pick those up during the sale.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Am I overlooking something obvious, or does it sound like the editor could be the next big thing since Neverwinter Nights for custom created content (specifically modules) in RPGs?

By extension I hope there's some sort of evolution of the engine before they move on to something entirely new. I know it's against their stance to nickel and dime their customers with paid DLC, so I'm not expecting that, but the improvement even just a year's worth of work in to an expansion goes a long way for a game engine and editor.

Lots of games have shipped with powerful editors where nothing happens. Witcher 2's red toolkit is very robust, but nothing interesting came out of it.

Noaloha

I'm on vacation at the moment, spending a week in the countryside without real internet. We were supposed to be heading home tomorrow. As nice as it is here, I was looking forward to getting back, seeing what Steam card stuff I missed, checking out my free GOG games and jumping headlong in to the Divinity:OS level editor for a heady weekend of excessive fiddling.

I now learn that plans have changed and we're here until Monday.. I mean, shit, the natural beauty and the oil painting and the picturesque boat rides and the sunsets and sunrises are great and all but, waaaah, I wanna sit in a darkened room and stare at fantasy shit on my monitor!

Woe is me.

Zukuu

Banned
How comes it's so cheap to trade it? The guys wanting the keys need to buy the game right? Why don't they just buy the keys themselves, or do they get the game cheaper for some reason. Also, Larian gets probably less, if you use that method.

Sinatar

How comes it's so cheap to trade it? The guys wanting the keys need to buy the game right? Why don't they just buy the keys themselves, or do they get the game cheaper for some reason. Also, Larian gets probably less, if you use that method.

They live in areas of the world (mainly Russia) where the game can be bought for super cheap.

Angryhead

Neo Member

The Russian region version cost about ~14$ with the 20% discount.

Zakalwe

Banned

Supply and demand, and people bought copies when it was on sale, but the trade value has dropped.

Or certain regions sell it for less and aren't locked.

Etc...

And not everyone can afford to pay full price, if I wasn't saving for various real world things outside of my gaming hobby (damn you, responsibility), I would happily have thrown the full value at the devs. The devs are still getting their money from somewhere, the game has to be bought initially from a legit source.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lots of games have shipped with powerful editors where nothing happens. Witcher 2's red toolkit is very robust, but nothing interesting came out of it.

True, though TW2 is oriented towards a single party member world/story (NWN was technically too, though you could write in henchmen), while this seems to be more in line with a traditional RPG experience... it reminds me of the NWN editor for some reason, when I guess it's probably not really all that similar. Still, isometric, looks like it could have the simplicity of a tile-based system, and I guess I'm just hopeful it catches on like NWN did, but perhaps that had a fairly unique set of conditions that lead to so much user-created content.

Sinatar

True, though TW2 is oriented towards a single party member world/story (NWN was technically too, though you could write in henchmen), while this seems to be more in line with a traditional RPG experience... it reminds me of the NWN editor for some reason, when I guess it's probably not really all that similar. Still, isometric, looks like it could have the simplicity of a tile-based system, and I guess I'm just hopeful it catches on like NWN did, but perhaps that had a fairly unique set of conditions that lead to so much user-created content.

I *hope* the community goes HAM on the editor and makes some great stuff, but I wouldn't ever recommend someone buy the game based on that gamble.

Well, a lot of it boils down to ease of use. If you look at Skyrim, their tools might not be the most robust, but are fairly accessible. Meanwhile the Red Toolkit, while very robust, is not quite as user friendly. Nor did it have Steamworks Publishing built in. I hope that the mod community for OS is large, because what I've seen of the tools lead me to believe they're pretty easy to use.

garath

So how does co-op work? Instead of creating 2 characters you create one and that's your MP char that you co-op with? Questline progression based on the host?

Alastor

The CE/regular boxed version is delayed one month in Poland :\ What's the cheapest offer without turning into Steam trading?

Eusis

Star Ocean 3.

Physical abilities used HP and magical ones used MP. There was also enemies that could deal mental damage instead of attacking your health. You could also be KO'd by running out of MP (I'd consider it equivalent to mental exhaustion or brain death)
That was a two way road, interestingly enough. You could use some MP managing attacks to slaughter enemies that had crazy high HP.

Serra

Just bought this for 16,50€ worth of keys. Thanks Zakalwe!

Gonna mess around a little before the release so I know what characters to make for a proper playthrough.

syko de4d

Just hope it shows up during the steam sale again.

steam sales ends on the same day as divinity get released, or? And last day of steam sale is always a "best of". So it would be perfect to have it again on sale on this day, without a plan like this it would be pretty dump to release the game on the last day of steam sale.

Corsick

Buy it now for £14.

Put £14 in your steam wallet.
Buy 10 keys from the market place.
Go to tf2outpost.
Find a seller and trade.

People say "but that's too much effort". Took me five minutes to find a seller, then just had to wait for her to appear online.

Easy money.

Thank you very much! Unfortunately I had steam guard off for some reason and must wait 15 days. I guess I can just try to find good deals on tf2outpost for when I can use the marketplace again.

Respect

Curious what everyone's starting class/duo (if not co-oping with a friend) will be?

I'm going solo so it will probably be Mage/Battle mage and Knight.

I keep going back and forth on the mage/battle mage, I love caster/melee hybrid classes, but initial impressions I get are that hybrids might be a little gimped unless you really don't make any mistakes in your character progression. I'll certainly have a few of those on my first play through no doubt...but I am still leaning the battle mage, I'm stubborn.

OmegaDL50

That was a two way road, interestingly enough. You could use some MP managing attacks to slaughter enemies that had crazy high HP.

Yeah I used that strategy on the Crab boss in the beginning of the game. Using Blazing Sword which was temporary buff that turned HP into MP damage. Also helped the Crab was weak against Fire so was a bonus.

I can't wait until the 30th...I'm going to spend so much time in D:OS character creation to make my ideal characters.

Noaloha

So how does co-op work? Instead of creating 2 characters you create one and that's your MP char that you co-op with? Questline progression based on the host?
If the host has a co-op partner in her lobby at the point of character creation, then you both create your own, otherwise the host creates both characters and can invite co-op players in whenever they fancy. If you share the creation process with another, that character isn't tied to the specific other player in any way. You as the host are able to continue playing in single player controlling the whole party, inviting other, different players if you wish, whatever. Ultimately it's the host's game. Any co-op partners you invite are just guesting in your save file, controlling all aspects of the second 'main' character but only doing so for the duration of your session.

Edit: importantly, the game supports multiple profiles so you can have separate playthroughs running concurrently.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thank you very much! Unfortunately I had steam guard off for some reason and must wait 15 days. I guess I can just try to find good deals on tf2outpost for when I can use the marketplace again.

You could always make a thread on the steam forums saying you'll buy a game of equivalent value and trade it, see if any sellers would be willing to do that.

(Sorry, turning into a steam trade thread now. happy to help give advice for this if anyone wants to PM me!).

Terra_Ex

I don't think serious modding will ever take off in a single player rpg with a fully voiced protagonist. As great as the Witcher 2 is, even if you were to create the best questline known to man it'd still stick out like a sore thumb against the rest of the game due to lacking the voicework of the original cast, actively hamstringing that protagonist's ability to interact with existing and new NPCs in the game world.

While I'm far from elated that Larian is adding voicework to Original Sin, as I understand it they're not voicing the entire thing, instead relying on the written word to deliver the narrative and thus community content shouldn't immediately scream "I do not belong." D:OS seems to strike a good balance, the editor looks easy to use whilst still being very powerful and the game is relying on text over flashy cutscenes and animations. I'm hopeful that it will take off.

VandalD

I think the save game structure will end up holding this game back at least a little bit. As far as I know, you can't import your own character to another person's session, so you won't see some of the crazier things NWN did, like pseudo-MMO servers. That still leaves plenty of room for cool things though. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

cripterion

Curious what everyone's starting class/duo (if not co-oping with a friend) will be?

I'm going solo so it will probably be Mage/Battle mage and Knight.

I keep going back and forth on the mage/battle mage, I love caster/melee hybrid classes, but initial impressions I get are that hybrids might be a little gimped unless you really don't make any mistakes in your character progression. I'll certainly have a few of those on my first play through no doubt...but I am still leaning the battle mage, I'm stubborn.

I'll roll a Knight/Cleric.

garath

If the host has a co-op partner in her lobby at the point of character creation, then you both create your own, otherwise the host creates both characters and can invite co-op players in whenever they fancy. If you share the creation process with another, that character isn't tied to the specific other player in any way. You as the host are able to continue playing in single player controlling the whole party, inviting other, different players if you wish, whatever. Ultimately it's the host's game. Any co-op partners you invite are just guesting in your save file, controlling all aspects of the second 'main' character but only doing so for the duration of your session.

Edit: importantly, the game supports multiple profiles so you can have separate playthroughs running concurrently.

Ah. Thanks. I used to hate that model but I got over it. It'll work well enough for my purposes. I generally only play co-op with a single person anyways.

Alright I'm someone who picked this up after knowing next to nothing about it and I'm super hyped for the 30th after messing around in the beta. I've never really played any cRPGs before and I'd love some recommendations on some good ones to play. I saw there were enhanced editions of the Baldurs Gate games on steam and I've heard good things about them, so I might pick those up during the sale.
Dragon Age Origins in my opinion is the best to have captured the classic rpg feel In a modernized package and it's a fantastic game. Play that first.

Long-time Divinity players: I have dabbled a bit with Divine Divinity and would like to play the other games. That said, I kinda want to jump on Original Sin. Would you say the early games are 'required reading'? Or are they pretty separate?

I do enjoy playing things in order, of course, but these are not quick games we're talkin' about here.

Durante

Long-time Divinity players: I have dabbled a bit with Divine Divinity and would like to play the other games. That said, I kinda want to jump on Original Sin. Would you say the early games are 'required reading'? Or are they pretty separate?

I do enjoy playing things in order, of course, but these are not quick games we're talkin' about here.
Story-wise, there's really not that many important connections. You can play all of them in any order.

Sinatar

Original Sin is a prequel, takes place hundreds of years before the other games.

Story-wise, there's really not that many important connections. You can play all of them in any order.

Okay, awesome. Hmm, guess that settles it, then! And now that I look at it, the Digital Collector's Edish has two copies... Pretty much perfect, lol.

Original Sin is a prequel, takes place hundreds of years before the other games.

True - I do remember reading that. Might even be ideal, in that case :)

mrpeabody

divinityheader81s7m.jpg

Where's her other arm? #cantunsee

Durante

How in the world did this slip past my radar? Sounds awesome.
The same way it slipped past all the other people's radar who are expressing similar sentiments. Media failure.

Or more specifically, the facts that
  • It doesn't have a huge publisher
  • It doesn't have a large marketing budget
  • It's not the kind of title to go viral on youtube
  • It's also not an "indie darling of the week" kind of game
  • The developers are European

Top Bottom