• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

nynt9

Does this game have any sort of congruent universe with the other games that have "Divinity" in the name? Dragon Commander and whatnot.

Yes, Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, Divinity 2: Ego Draconis and Dragon Commander are all in the same universe.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Alright, on a new load and I've decided to risk
carrying the rot by picking up hilda's shambling oak death wand. It's got to be useful seeing that it's not a random drop, right?

Anyone else encountered this?

Zakalwe

Banned
Ugh, that
teleporter puzzle
in the
underground passage

I didn't realise there was a
hidden telporter
behind the
hanging cloth
in the main room. I figured out the puzzle as far as I could, then spent ages confusing myself thinking I must have done it wrong.

I hadn't, I just hadn't realised where the final
teleporter
was.

This game... it has such a knack for making me feel stupid. I love it.

nynt9

I'm having trouble with naming a culprit in Jake's Murder. I've found
the knife and book in Esmeralda's place
and talked to her about it, and she told me to go find
Evelyn, who had escaped so Thelyron led me to her backpack, which led me to incriminating evidence in Evelyn's house
. Problem is, when I talk to Aureus, I only have options for arresting
Esmeralda and the Mayor (I think, or maybe the Duke, I don't remember)
. Why wouldn't there be an option to arrest
Evelyn
?

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm having trouble with naming a culprit in Jake's Murder. I've found
the knife and book in Esmeralda's place
and talked to her about it, and she told me to go find
Evelyn, who had escaped so Thelyron led me to her backpack, which led me to incriminating evidence in Evelyn's house
. Problem is, when I talk to Aureus, I only have options for arresting
Esmeralda and the Mayor (I think, or maybe the Duke, I don't remember)
. Why wouldn't there be an option to arrest
Evelyn
?

Read everything you found in
Evelyn's house
. Make sure you picked up everything there. It will
lead you to her whereabouts

I don't get why have a rock paper scissors for NPC's discussions, for coop makes sense but outside of it? It's an inconvenience, all the more reason to quick load a lot.

Just press space and it becomes a simple skill check.

Enco

1. Seek mobs of your level, the progression is prettion linear in the first map unless you want to struggle with higher lvl mobs but that's not your case.
Lvl 3 > west gate > undead arc
Lvl 6 > south gate > orc/beach arc

2. Yes, they're. Try to talk to only named NPC and animals.
It's pretty rare that non named NPC help you advance in quests but just in case talk at least to just once to one of them.

3. Depend of people but I would've disliked if Ceasel NPC were moving around.
It's already such a pain to spend 10 hours in the city with non moving NPC.
1. Thanks
2. Walking around and hearing people repeat the same thing is annoying. The same cheese puns and same arguments in the tavern replaying over and over suck
3. Good point. The world just feels artificial though. Day/night cycles would have been amazing

Oh and I think spoilers in this thread need some work. How are you meant to know what's going to be spoiled? Why not talk about the section of the game you're on about, how far in you are or the quest title? If you think that's a spoiler at least put it in first so people can find out about the rest of the content.. Right now it's pretty silly. Either that or just take it easy and don't spoiler tag such small things.

nynt9

Read everything you found in
Evelyn's house
. Make sure you picked up everything there. It will
lead you to her whereabouts

I did, and I have an idea as to where to go, but the option to arrest isn't there. Is this normal? I can't complete the
Wife
questline.

Zukuu

Banned
So to access the
Troll King
I need to solve the quest involving Frederick
and his Imp
. Problem is,
after I healed Frederick with a nearby Bloodstone and told him to not go after his imp, he attacked me and obviously died. Where is the imp?

edit: found the lair; maybe it's not lost after all.

nbthedude

I did, and I have an idea as to where to go, but the option to arrest isn't there. Is this normal? I can't complete the
Wife
questline.
There are actually a bunch of ways to progress but I'll give you a hint on the path you are already on:
three pieces of evidence total on that path: there are two items in her house and one in the Inn

danthefan

Talk to me here guys.

Game is downloading. I have never played an RPG of this nature before. Is there anything in particular I really need to know from the outset? Any general tips that will stop me from ragequitting?

Santiako

Talk to me here guys.

Game is downloading. I have never played an RPG of this nature before. Is there anything in particular I really need to know from the outset? Any general tips that will stop me from ragequitting?

Pick up Pet Pal as a talent in character creation, don't throw away important items, read what people have to say and use your common sense in regards to solving quests.

Zakalwe

Banned
Wife
questline.

Solution if you need it:

Yep, as nbthedude said, check
Esmeralda's house,
basement, and the inn
where the murder took place
. You need
three pieces of evidence
:
a love letter, a book about planning the perfect murder, and a bloody knife
. I'd imagine it's the
letter
you've overlooked.

Moff

I am a bit confused.
I just realized, that whenever you use a bloodstone, you unlock a new room in the homestead.
but the problem is, arent they very limited?
wha if I need them for a quest, like healing alfie?

I think thats a bit odd

nbthedude

Talk to me here guys.

Game is downloading. I have never played an RPG of this naturthe he. before. Is there anything in particular I really needon't know from the outset? Any general tips that will stop mfree look,agequitting?
1) quicksave often (I actually set it to a mouse button)

2) if your character class doesn't start with the summon spider spell, buy it from the guy on the 2nd floor of Legionairre headquarters. Use spider often as a frontline tank/damage shield.

3) make sure you find both companions before you leave the first town so you have a full party of four

4) pay attention to enemy levels; if an enemy is more than 1-2 levels higher than you don't head in that direction yet

5) there are multiple ways to progress quests from stealing keys to lock picking, to breaking down doors by attacking them to just talking to the right people; keep this in mind.

6) learn the UI: between the shortcuts around the mini map and those by your character portrait and action bar you can get pretty much anywhere in one click (I personally dont even use the keyboard and just map quicksave, next turn, freelook and tooltip to my mouse.

nynt9

Solution if you need it:

Yep, as nbthedude said, check
Esmeralda's house,
basement, and the inn
where the murder took place
. You need
three pieces of evidence
:
a love letter, a book about planning the perfect murder, and a bloody knife
. I'd imagine it's the
letter
you've overlooked.

I actually have
the letter
, along with the other items :S

danthefan

Pick up Pet Pal as a talent in character creation, don't throw away important items, read what people have to say and use your common sense in regards to solving quests.

1) quicksave often (I actually set it to a mouse button)

2) if your character class doesn't start with the summon spider spell, buy it from the guy on the 2nd floor of Legionairre headquarters. Use spider often as a frontline tank/damage shield.

3) make sure you find both companions before you leave the first town so you have a full party of four

4) pay attention to enemy levels; if an enemy is more than 1-2 levels higher than you don't head in that direction yet

5) there are multiple ways to progress quests from stealing keys to lock picking, to breaking down doors by attacking them to just talking to the right people; keep this in mind.

6) learn the UI: between the shortcuts around the mini map and those by your character portrait and action bar you can get pretty much anywhere in one click (I personally dont even use the keyboard and just map quicksave, next turn, freelook and tooltip to my mouse.

Thanks, will keep it all in mind.

Special C

Anyone tried the game with a touch laptop/windows tablet? I want to play on my Surface Pro 2 without having to rely on needing a mouse.

Zukuu

Banned
Is there any safe place to store my stuff that is not my characters' inventories?

you can take any random chest, or just throw it on the ground really. The 3rd room you unlock, has a "storage chest" for each main character. I rather piled a few chests to a nearby portal and used that.

AEREC

I like how it's old school and all but some features need to be left in the past...sucks how you can actually quicksave anywhere, even during combat.

Aeana

you can take any random chest, or just throw it on the ground really. The 3rd room you unlock, has a "storage chest" for each main character. I rather piled a few chests to a nearby portal and used that.

Important note about the storage chest mentioned here is that "send to storage" actually becomes a right click option in your inventory at that point.

Styles

On average, it takes me 15 damn minutes to finish ONE battle, but I LOVE it. The feeling you get from winning far outweighs the countless deaths. ;_;

Zukuu

Banned
I like how it's old school and all but some features need to be left in the past...sucks how you can actually quicksave anywhere, even during combat.
Quick save should be disabled during combat in every game, period. Then again, they tend to take a long time and I needed to go twice, whilst in combat, so for this type of game I dunno. While I occasionally save scum for loot and vendors, I never do in battles. They are designed very fair and solvable without needing it. I rather start the battle anew, than to resort to saving during battles. My own creed.

How do you guys break down doors?

Lockpicking fails too often and bashing them down is way tedious & costly.

There must be a better way.

epmode

Is there a keyboard shortcut to switch to a different action bar? I'm getting too many skills!

I'd say that most locked objects have the keys somewhere nearby. Check under stuff or in an NPC's pockets.

Zakalwe

Banned

Lockpick, key, or bust it down.

Lockpick will only fail if you're level is too low. If the door is a requirement for a main quest line, there will be a key somewhere. The optional stuff is a reward for levelling the skill

It's a great feature. If you don't want to use it, then don't, but if you have to suddenly leave during a battle that has gone your way because of sheer luck or has taken some time, then the feature is absolutely invaluable.

Will power is all you need to keep it even.

Pollux

So I'm curious if I can run this game (I'm retarded when it comes to computer specs and all that stuff)...

I currently have a 2010 Macbook Air with a 1.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB. From what I gather I don't think I could run this even on low settings.

If I'm wrong I would buy it today...but, as it stands I don't know if I could even run it.

It's weird, because my computer can run X:Com on medium to lowish settings but won't run Europa Universalis IV on medium to low settings. So I have no clue if it would run this...

Aeana

Any recommended classes for Roderick / Scarlett (due to companions)?

Making one of them a fire/earth mage is not a bad idea. That way, combined with one of the companions you get, you'll have all of the elements covered. Of course, you can make a lot of different combos work so don't feel too pressured to adhere to any sort of standard. And if the companions don't have skill setups you like, you can always hire henchmen instead.

nbthedude

As others have said, there usually is a key nearby. But you can burn them with flame spells to make it faster if you want to just smash them down.

Zakalwe

Banned
Any recommended classes for Roderick / Scarlett (due to companions)?

Literally anything.

Every single class can proc elemental effects. Scrolls are there for everyone to use, rangers have special arrows, there are weapons with elemental effects, and even gear that grants use of magic spells (my ranger has a legendary belt with Flare attached to it), so as long as you build your group with the mindset to cover all bases you should be just fine.

Eyeh4wk

So I have played a few hours and have some questions:

1- Do I miss some quests by not including Jahan in my group? He had the same build as my wizard and said something about not dealing with demons.
2- Can I stack items without the crafting window appearing?
3- What's the difference between damage types (crushing/piercing/slashing) since the armors doesn't explicit show those defenses?

The combat in this game is so addicting, I love it.

AEREC

Just about every time I start the game the framerate chugs around 10-15 FPS for a few minutes...then suddenly kicks kicks back to a solid 60fps.

Anyone else experience this?

nbthedude

So I'm curious if I can run this game (I'm retarded when it comes to computer specs and all that stuff)...

I currently have a 2010 Macbook Air with a 1.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB. From what I gather I don't think I could run this even on low settings.

If I'm wrong I would buy it today...but, as it stands I don't know if I could even run it.

It's weird, because my computer can run X:Com on medium to lowish settings but won't run Europa Universalis IV on medium to low settings. So I have no clue if it would run this...

Seems like you meet the minimum requirements:

Minimum system requirements (Mac): OS X 10.7 or later. Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory: 2 GB Graphics: 128 MB of video RAM, Hard drive space: 3.1 GB, Recommended two-button mouse, or Apple mouse with Secondary Button / Secondary Click enabled.

You should be fine at least on low settings. It's turn based combat anyway so it's not some framerate instabilty occasionally would greatly impact the experience.

Lechery

Neo Member
Has anyone gotten GeDoSaTo to work with it?
Even with the "alternative injection method" I can't seem to choose anything other than 1920x1080.

nbthedude

So I have played a few hours and have some questions:

1- Do I miss some quests by not including Jahan in my group? He had the same build as my wizard and said something about not dealing with demons.
2- Can I stack items without the crafting window appearing?
3- What's the difference between damage types (crushing/piercing/slashing) since the armors doesn't explicit show those defenses?

The combat in this game is so addicting, I love it.

1) No but you want him anyway. You'll miss his dialog and you want a 4 player party. There is no problem with you being a wizard and having him on your team. I have a witch and a wizard and he compliments them fine.

3) I believe they can cause different effects. Crushing can cause knock out. Piercing can cause bleeding. I'm not sure if slashing has any possible effect attached to it.

Fuz

Banned
Enjoying it tremendously.
I really feel the need for a "undo" button, even if there's the problem that it could be abused... too often I click on an enemy and get a misclick, moving my character where I don't want him to go. Also, finding the right spot for backstabbing is a tremendous pain.
Another useful thing would have been more keybinds... the classic shift+1,+2,+3 for the quickbars and one for trading with the npcs... I would have mapped many more things.
Also, don't really like the random loot. It's silly in a game with predefined encounters and no respawning enemies.

Anyway, reading the other thread I just realized one thing that baffled me:
Where did Jake lived? I thought to search his house for clues and realized he had no house.

No, no, no and no.
Let me save whenever I want so I won't lose my time if something comes up, I detest checkpoints.
You can save in combat? Never noticed.

You do go through his wife's house looking for clues. ;)
Yeah, been there... but it kinda didn't feel like he lived there. He had nothing personal there.

Ceebs

I don't understand this logic. If you don't like the quicksave anywhere, no one is forcing you to use it. Let it be for the people who like it, and just save normally where you feel it is appropriate.

Anyway, reading the other thread I just realized one thing that baffled me:
Where did Jake lived? I thought to search his house for clues and realized he had no house.
You do go through his wife's house looking for clues. ;)

nbthedude

Is there any way to use custom portraits for the characters?

No unfortunately. The lack of variety in the portraits to match the characters you create is honestly one of my biggest complaints. It's a small thing but it bothers me. But that also is a testament to the rest of the game. The game has steamworkshop support though so it's only a matter of time before someone mods that in. I'd be on sooner rather than later.

No unfortunately. The lack of variety in the portraits to match the characters you create is honestly one of my biggest complaints. It's a small thing but it bothers me. But that also is a testament to the rest of the game.
Yeah, that's lame. It really bothers me that the charactes I want to create don't have portraits that remotely look like them - or that I can't create characters that look like some of the cooler portraits for that matter.

I don't understand this logic. If you don't like the quicksave anywhere, no one is forcing you to use it. Let it be for the people who like it, and just save normally where you feel it is appropriate....

Do you think they should have quest markers too, as an option?

Top Bottom