• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Any vendor selling earth spell scrolls? Trying to do the
Talking Statues quest
but my Jahan is only proficient in Pyro,Air and Water

Sentenza

That depends if you enjoy crafting.

It's definitely worth it if you do. I use it constantly for my ranger's arrows, to make potions, scrolls, etc...
Nope, that wasn't the question.
I already have enough points to do all these things.
I was more specifically asking if it's worth invest MORE points in those skills for the "high level" recipes and crafts.

Spookie

Wat. I've been without invisibility on my rogue for 12 levels. Now I have it she straights up SHANKS fools. Crits for almost 140 damage a pop, murders mages in a turn. YEAH!

I was more specifically asking if it's worth invest MORE points in those skills for the "high level" recipes and crafts.

Crafting only goes as high as 5, just keep items with crafting boosts on them and swap out as you need them. I'm only level 3 in crafting but can make augmented gear which adds a damage bonus of 50 to my sword. The item which gives the augment you'll find out about in the forest. ;)

Zakalwe

Banned

And I answered that question.

Yes, it is, as to continue doing the things I listed you need to continue investing.

Certain arrows cost more crafting points, for example, it you want to use crafting as your resource for obtaining your items then you will need to continuously invest in it.

As you continue to craft the game will tell you when you need to onset more points. It's up to you how far you go.

Spookie

I've found a demon who can redistribute my skills. Sweet Jesus.

magic.jpg

Levyne

Banned
This area at the starting half of Act 2 is kind of dragging..I feel like I've been here forever. Fighting fighting fighting.

It's okay, still fun, just less detailed and interesting without making frequent trips to a city to figure things out. It just feels like exploring the map and killing what's there.

Well anyway, about to enter the
prison
. I've explored the rest except for the
castle front gates
and a very evil looking area to the upper right.

Arkeus

Damn, is that the only way?

Used mine on
Alfie.

I did too, but
I didn't do the quest to choose which guy Evelyn heals as she was already gone by the time i went to the clinic the first time, and Evelyn drops a blood stone in that case
so i had two.

Rad-

Well I just took the comeback kid talent and I swear I'm now unkillable by physical attacks because I also had leech already. Seriously I just tested it in multiple fights and the guy won't die lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's the quest you're given to
Join the cult, you go north in to the sand storm area, upon completing the trials you see a star stone and it clears up the rot for you.

I'm still doing the
white witch stuff. Don't think that I'm strong enough for the desert yet from what I've seen.

Goddamnit, I'm tempted to just lower the difficulty and play on easy. I've been stuck for hours with this battle trying to get into
evelyn's lair
someone please help me get through battle in general. I almost never finish an encounter without dying. I think I did something wrong. I had level 5 rogue, warrior with companion madora and jahan.

at the start of the match I generally tried to use haste and invisible for my rogue and go straight in, trying to position her behind enemy for backstab while crouching for double damage. jahan use rain and cold bite trying to freeze 1 guy (which always only go up to chilled in this battle), then both warrior and madora stand their ground trying to build ap and letting enemy melee to come to me.

at the first enemy turn, one of the archer using exploding arrow to my invisible rogue, other will use various skill to made my party either stunned, trip/down, burned or poisoned.

I don't have any skill to remove most of these ailment so I just had to endure hoping I'm not dead, which is not the case. I'm running low on resurrection scroll too. :(

Chaos17

I'm still doing the
white witch stuff. Don't think that I'm strong enough for the desert yet from what I've seen.

Weird, I did not encounter the rot statut while doing this quest in the
snow kingdom where the witch is captured
:\

Goddamnit, I'm tempted to just lower the difficulty and play on easy. I've been stuck for hours with this battle trying to get into
evelyn's lair
someone please help me get through battle in general. I almost never finish an encounter without dying. I think I did something wrong. I had level 5 rogue, warrior with companion madora and jahan.

at the start of the match I generally tried to use haste and invisible for my rogue and go straight in, trying to position her behind enemy for backstab while crouching for double damage. jahan use rain and cold bite trying to freeze 1 guy (which always only go up to chilled in this battle), then both warrior and madora stand their ground trying to build ap and letting enemy melee to come to me.

at the first enemy turn, one of the archer using exploding arrow to my invisible rogue, other will use various skill to made my party either stunned, trip/down, burned or poisoned.

I don't have any skill to remove most of these ailment so I just had to endure hoping I'm not dead, which is not the case. I'm running low on resurrection scroll too. :(
I didn't had any problem with this encounter.
Maybe it's because I've two mages and both of them can heal and do combo spells too.
I know Medora is strong but I ditched her, that game just have too much awesome combo spells. with AoE/CC effects.

Zabojnik

So let's say I'm not in a particular hurry to play the game. It is my kind of game though, so obviously I'd like to play it sooner rather than later. I haven't been following the development that closely, so ... Are there any significant improvements on the way? Say, in the next month or two?

Sub Zero

evelyn's lair

Which battle are you stuck in? If it is
the large group of cultists in Evelyn's lair there's a trick for it. Just have your party stand beside the door and have Jahan attack one of them. This will pull a smaller group of them and the fight will be a lot easier

Chaos17

I got it when I picked up a staff dropped by
Hilda, the person with the big golem thing.

Oh, I see. It's probably made with tenebrium.
She didn't droped it for me.
You're unlucky.
All you can do is either heal yourself of do the imasculed initiation quest (which is short compared to the
snow kingdom
)

Or have you tried to drop the staff ?

kafiend

evelyn's lair

General battle plan for me with 2x mages 1x melee and 1x archer is to cast rain pre-battle so everyone is wet when battle begins which opens them up to blitz bolt stuns while the melee gets in the middle and archer snipes/uses special arrows.
Teleporting un-stunned enemies into electrified water is also good for fun times.

Weird, I did not encounter the rot statut while doing this quest in the
snow kingdom where the witch is captured
:\

I didn't had any problem with this encounter.
Maybe it's because I've two mages and both of them can heal and do combo spells too.
I know Medora is strong but I ditched her, that game just have too much awesome combo spells. with AoE effects.

I think my biggest problem (other than being peck to death by archer and mages from far) is I don't have any aoe option, jahan only had rain and thunder, that rely on enemy all stand on top of the water and they're only stunned not taking damage, and only for 1 turn too. I previously pick pyromancy so now I do have a couple fire spell like firefly, basic fireball, and fire touch I think. all my aoe attack come from scroll and I ran out of them some battle ago.

the large group of cultists in Evelyn's lair there's a trick for it. Just have your party stand beside the door and have Jahan attack one of them. This will pull a smaller group of them and the fight will be a lot easier

I haven't even got into the lair, still at the beach

Sub Zero

I think my biggest problem (other than being peck to death by archer and mages from far) is I don't have any aoe option, jahan only had rain and thunder, that rely on enemy all stand on top of the water and they're only stunned not taking damage, and only for 1 turn too. I previously pick pyromancy so now I do have a couple fire spell like firefly, basic fireball, and fire touch I think. all my aoe attack come from scroll and I ran out of them some battle ago.

I think your level is a bit too low. Maybe you should try questing a bit more in Cyseal and return to the beach once you're level 7. Iirc the recommended level for the Evelyn fight is 7

I think your level is a bit too low. Maybe you should try questing a bit more in Cyseal and return to the beach once you're level 7. Iirc the recommended level for the Evelyn fight is 7

yeah I guess this is true. I'll try to do other quest for now. man I felt I'm screwing myself a lot with 3 melee and 1 mage team

Chaos17

Since your rogue has some dext... have you tried to equip a bow ?
Arrows can replace scrolls easely (with the talent to retrieve arrows too). I'm not suggesting you not play roque anymore.
I'm suggesting you to switch weapon for 2 AP during a battle just to inflict some CC or AoE to help out Jahan from time to time.

Since your rogue has some dext... have you tried to equip a bow ?
Arrows can replace scrolls easely (with the talent to retrieve arrows too). I'm not suggesting you not play roque anymore.
I'm suggesting you to switch weapon for 2 AP during a battle just to inflict some CC or AoE to help out Jahan from time to time.

yeah I had some bow and a couple of arrow although didn't use it much. I just manage to kill 5 of the enemies leaving just 1 when he bring in reinforcement surrounging me. oh joy

edit: btw, does enemy can still know where you are even when you're under invisible skill?

Chaos17

yeah I had some bow and a couple of arrow although didn't use it much. I just manage to kill 5 of the enemies leaving just 1 when he bring in reinforcement surrounging me. oh joy

Have you tried to teleport near you some mobs with Jahan ?
I know how annoying is running after a mob with a melee.

Enco

1. What's the best way to level up? I feel too weak to do anything
2. Repeating conversations are REALLY REALLY annoying
3. Characters standing in the same place really ruin immersion

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh, I see. It's probably made with tenebrium.
She didn't droped it for me.
You're unlucky.
All you can do is either heal yourself of do the imasculed initiation quest (which is short compared to the
snow kingdom
)

Or have you tried to drop the staff ?

Decided just to reload. Too much trouble.
Do tenebrium weapons always have this drawback?

Sub Zero

Quests. Mobs don't respawn so grinding is not an option

Chaos17

1. Seek mobs of your level, the progression is prettion linear in the first map unless you want to struggle with higher lvl mobs but that's not your case.
Lvl 3 > west gate > undead arc
Lvl 6 > south gate > orc/beach arc

2. Yes, they're. Try to talk to only named NPC and animals.
It's pretty rare that non named NPC help you advance in quests but just in case talk at least to just once to one of them.

3. Depend of people but I would've disliked if Ceasel NPC were moving around.
It's already such a pain to spend 10 hours in the city with non moving NPC.

Decided just to reload. Too much trouble.
Do tenebrium weapons always have this drawback?

I'm not sure because I didn't craft any yet for
the demon lair in the north, only Tenebrium can harm them said an NPC
but the story with the mine do warn you about it.

If it's the zombie group get the fireball spell for Jahan, it wrecks the boars and prevents the pools of poison from healing them.

If it's the group of cultists in the hall use a ranged character or Jahan to draw them out one by one and take on 2-3 small groups instead of one large one.

I don't get why have a rock paper scissors for NPC's discussions, for coop makes sense but outside of it? It's an inconvenience, all the more reason to quick load a lot.

Steez

yeah I guess this is true. I'll try to do other quest for now. man I felt I'm screwing myself a lot with 3 melee and 1 mage team

I'm playing on hard with the exact same team. Melee figher, rogue, Jahan and Madora.

Don't go immediately for damage with your rogue. Use your charm/stun/blind skills to disable at least one enemy. Madora and your fighter can cause knockdown with Crushing Fist or Battering Ram and Jahan has a lot of abilities that inflict various status effects. Headvice can blind, Ice Shard can freeze, lightning based spells can stun individual enemies or electrocute entire groups of mobs, if they're standing in a puddle of water or blood.
Battles become a lot easier, if you don't have to worry about every single enemy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
EDIT: Loaded to a few more saves I had from earlier the game and yes, I think the merchant loot list gets refreshed on leveling.
It's not on level up but it's also not on save loading like most are saying. My guess is it's timer based somehow. The reason is obvious. When you sell something to a vendor, if you want it back that would suck if buy back only lasted til the next load.

As for randomized loot and vendors, I know there are some of you who feel that way, but the vast majority of us want randomized loot/vendors. It's old school all the way (like pre-crpg pnp old school even) and this is an old school game after all. I mean if they weren't going to randomize it they should have just done away with the trade system completely and given us shop menus :p.

I don't get why have a rock paper scissors for NPC's discussions, for coop makes sense but outside of it? It's an inconvenience, all the more reason to quick load a lot.
By npc do you mean party members or NPCs in the game? The system was put into place for co-op persuasion, and they just extended it to AI and NPC to give the player more than just a skill check. You CAN still do the skill check but remember it IS a skill check and if your skill,is low you will still often lose.

Steez

Yeah, I agree with this one. It also seems like the PC is unusually good at predicting my choices. I pretty much have to reload 4 or 5 times to win an argument, even though my skill is higher.

TheContact

Just bought this after staring at my games list for an hour and being completely bored with everything. I really needed a good single player game, hope this is worth it

By npc do you mean party members or NPCs in the game? The system was put into place for co-op persuasion, and they just extended it to AI and NPC to give the player more than just a skill check. You CAN still do the skill check but remember it IS a skill check and if your skill,is low you will still often lose.
quest npc's, it's a poor replacement for a simple skill check, bad idea to keep it for not coop scenarios

Venfayth

Does this game have any sort of congruent universe with the other games that have "Divinity" in the name? Dragon Commander and whatnot.

Top Bottom