• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

epmode

Not even remotely comparable. Optional quest markers would mean that the game would be somehow balanced with them in mind, affecting even those players who choose not to enable them.

Not if they add them now, after the game is complete.

It wouldn't really be the same game with markers, though, and you'd be missing out on a lot if you had them turned on.

Sarcasm

So since you basically get 10 stat points to dump...should I just dump into one stat? My Cleric...who I want to be a healer (god help me find books that I can use) I so far put one into int (8). Her STR is 7 and she can't really use any decent 1h..should I put one into STR to bring it up to 8?

nbthedude

So since you basically get 10 stat points to dump...should I just dump into one stat? My Cleric...who I want to be a healer (god help me find books that I can use) I so far put one into int (8). Her STR is 7 and she can't really use any decent 1h..should I put one into STR to bring it up to 8?

Depends on your strategy. I glass cannon so I'm all in on Int.

Ligning spells ? which school of magic ? there is none in the beginning.
Aero

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

If you're not going to melee don't put anything in STR.

Pollux

How's the character interaction in this game?

Do the things I say or do affect how party members/NPCs treat me?

Are their relationships? I DON'T NECESSARILY MEAN ROMANCES - I guess this ties into my previous question, do the things I do affect my party members/NPCs to the point where they "like" me and will be friendlier/more helpful or to the point where they will despise me?

What's the story like? Is it linear or are their different paths to take?

Seems like you meet the minimum requirements:

You should be fine at least on low settings. It's turn based combat anyway so it's not some framerate instabilty occasionally would greatly impact the experience.

Thanks, bud.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not if they add them now, after the game is complete.

It wouldn't really be the same game with markers, though, and you'd be missing out on a lot if you had them turned on.

100% agreed. There's a quest or two we haven't finished yet for lack of understanding what it wanted out of us, but my co-op partner and I enjoy the approach far more. We ended up going on quite an adventure to find the Church and it was a lot of fun because it let us explore while only giving us a general idea of where to go. Plus as mentioned you're usually told through NPC dialog subtle things to point you in the right direction. Or it's straight up common sense, like the graveyard.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
quest npc's, it's a poor replacement for a simple skill check, bad idea to keep it for not coop scenarios

umm.. then you can still do a skill check. if you hit Space at the RPS screen it skips the mini game and just does a skill check.

nbthedude

How's the character interaction in this game?

Do the things I say or do affect how party members/NPCs treat me?

Are their relationships? I DON'T NECESSARILY MEAN ROMANCES - I guess this ties into my previous question, do the things I do affect my party members/NPCs to the point where they "like" me and will be friendlier/more helpful or to the point where they will despise me?

Yes to all the above including romance options. Characters will even leave your party over disagreements sometimes.
What's the story like? Is it linear or are their different paths to take?

Thanks, bud.
Story is pretty linear and works around a large central hub in each Act. Lots of side quests though.

pleunv

I just can't figure out how to use an anvil, is there anything special you have to do? You can't drag items to it like with the whetstone, it just puts it on top of it. I'm desperate.

edit: ok, apparently I can drag now. Guess I didn't have enough points?

epmode

Yes to all the above including romance options. Characters will even leave your party over disagreements sometimes.

Is this a gradual thing or scripted for those specific conversations? Because both companions are dumber than a bag of bricks and I disagree with them about practically everything, but they sure are useful in a fight!

Pollux

Story is pretty linear and works around a large central hub in each Act. Lots of side quests though.

This is awesome. I love when games do this.

I'm so tempted to buy this right now. I might bite, but I'm probably going to hold off until August 1 and buy it once the bar exam is over :/

nbthedude

Is this a gradual thing or scripted for those specific conversations? Because both companions are dumber than a bag of bricks and I disagree with them about practically everything, but they sure are useful in a fight!

This is awesome. I love when games do this.

I'm so tempted to buy this right now. I might bite, but I'm probably going to hold off until August 1 and buy it once the bar exam is over :/

It's entirely organic. Sometimes it will happen after a battle if for example you attack an NPC that they didn't agree with attacking or even if you accidentally friendly fire them in the battle they will want to talk to you afterwards and threaten to leave. Sometimes it's their reaction to particular events that happen in the story. For the story related ones, you can usually reason with them fairly easily. Worse comes to worse, you can always just reload your last quick save.

Aeana

umm.. then you can still do a skill check. if you hit Space at the RPS screen it skips the mini game and just does a skill check.

As far as I can recall, it doesn't do a skill check, it just gives a random outcome to the RPS game. I lost by doing this with 4 charm to someone who had 3.

nbthedude

It's random, though.

I don't believe it is. It's based on your charisma rating. Which also gives you an advantage if you choose to play the R/P/S game instead. For example if you have 2 points in Charisma you'll get double the points towards a convincing the person each time you win a match.

Noaloha

Yeah, functionally, I don't see much of a difference between rolling a D100 with Charisma modifiers and playing through RPS in the background with Charisma modifiers.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I'm currently doing the quest
where I have to investigate Source activity in Sacred Stone. Got in the northern dungeon and I am getting owned hard by the two demons-two imacculates boss fight. All my melee classes seem to miss every hit which may be an indication that my party (currently lvl 11) is too low level for this fight. Are there any Silverglen questlines that I can do to level up my party?

Zakalwe

Banned
where I have to investigate Source activity in Sacred Stone. Got in the northern dungeon and I am getting owned hard by the two demons-two imacculates boss fight. All my melee classes seem to miss every hit which may be an indication that my party (currently lvl 11) is too low level for this fight. Are there any Silverglen questlines that I can do to level up my party?

I've literally jsut got to the same spot at level 11.

Killing the level 13 immaculates patrolling the area will help you level up a bit, but aside form that I can't find any side quests to boost me for this fight.

About to set up an intricate system of vase corridors to funnel them down. :p

Chaos17

I don't believe it is. It's based on your charisma rating. Which also gives you an advantage if you choose to play the R/P/S game instead. For example if you have 2 points in Charisma you'll get double the points towards a convincing the person each time you win a match.

Nope, I tested with reloading saves.
2 times I won, 1 time I lost.
The guy had 5 in charisma and I had 3.

The levels of the second zone go like this, imo :
snow kingdom (white witch quest) > immasculated quest > the troll cave
That's what I noticiced from my experience.
I did the first 2 in the order I written and I didn't had any problems.

borghe

It's random, though.

As far as I can recall, it doesn't do a skill check, it just gives a random outcome to the RPS game. I lost by doing this with 4 charm to someone who had 3.

right. I said it's a skill CHECK. D&D opposing skill checks you still roll. In the d20 system both would roll d20 and compare their die roll plus skill. My guess aeana is a significantly higher charisma greatly affects the skill check. So 3v4 is still going to be close... but say 8v2 you'll be much more likely to win.

I mean even the RPS game works that way.. 3v2 in that hardly guarantees you a win. However if you have say 6 and they have 3 or less you are very likely to win. I'm betting you get the same likelihood if you were to leave that one up to skill check also.

Nope, I tested with reloading saves.
2 times I won, 1 time I lost.
The guy had 5 in charisma and I had 3.

you do know you how RNG works right.. Your example does nothing to disprove that (whether either of us is right or wrong)

edit - I'd be more convinced with a test like I am implying. Take a test of say 8v2. If over say 50 attempts the 2 skill won more than 25-30% of the time I would absolutely concede that it is entirely random. However given the rest of the detail to the game system I would be shocked quite frankly.

Sub Zero

I've literally jsut got to the same spot at level 11.

Killing the level 13 immaculates patrolling the area will help you level up a bit, but aside form that I can't find any side quests to boost me for this fight.

About to set up an intricate system of vase corridors to funnel them down. :p

Really wish that the game had some kind of mob respawn system because it really gets frustrating at times like this. I had no problem in Cyseal as there were plenty of side quests. In Luculla Forest however everything seems to be tied to the main quest.

Maybe I should assault some goblin settlements and hit level 12. Hopefully I won't miss every hit then

epmode

Whoever suggested using the pyramids as an in-combat teleport is a goddamned genius. Use stealth to place one of the pyramids at the other end of the battlefield before the fight even begins (telekinesis helps) and you now have a fast way to get a melee character to the soft targets without blowing a skill cooldown.

Aeana

right. I said it's a skill CHECK. D&D opposing skill checks you still roll. In the d20 system both would roll d20 and compare their die roll plus skill. My guess aeana is a significantly higher charisma greatly affects the skill check. So 3v4 is still going to be close... but say 8v2 you'll be much more likely to win.

I mean even the RPS game works that way.. 3v2 in that hardly guarantees you a win. However if you have say 6 and they have 3 or less you are very likely to win. I'm betting you get the same likelihood if you were to leave that one up to skill check also.

Sadly, the RPS game is really busted as it is. Most of the time I've done it, I've found that once I find something that beats them, I can just keep clicking that and I'll keep winning. I even did this with 2 charm vs. an 8 charm person earlier in the game. I'm actually not a big fan of the system because it means that I don't have to worry about the skills, it's possible to win with any skill level, and it isn't that hard.

borghe

Is there no way to sell items that are stored in a bag other than moving them out before initiating trading?

I don't believe so, no. Similar to how you have to load up a single character with everything you want to trade for a single trade transaction as you can't swap inventories in the middle of a trade.

Whoever suggested using the pyramids as an in-combat teleport is a goddamned genius. Use stealth to place one of the pyramids at the other end of the battlefield before the fight even begins and you now have a fast way to get a melee character to the soft targets without blowing a skill cooldown.
mind = blown. Nowhere near as cool, but there is a feather fall spell also that can be used as a mini-teleport.

Sadly, the RPS game is really busted as it is. Most of the time I've done it, I've found that once I find something that beats them, I can just keep clicking that and I'll keep winning. I even did this with 2 charm vs. an 8 charm person earlier in the game. I'm actually not a big fan of the system because it means that I don't have to worry about the skills, it's possible to win with any skill level, and it isn't that hard.
Don't get me wrong. The RPS game is broken. For instance I have NEVER tied (i.e. both the same choice). Ever. Out of dozens of conversations I have never once selected the same choice as an NPC. So that leads me to believe that it is in no way random, well aside from random as in "not the one you selected".

Honestly the RPS game itself leads me to believe more than ever that it's actually a random skill check based on your score.. I think they just ummm... wanted to give you a shot at "rolling your own dice"? It is definitely the quirkiest part of NPC interaction in the game.. but I "think" I get why they did it. Far from perfect, but IMHO short of letting the player roll an actual die I'm not really sure what they could have done.

FtHTiny

Did you skip the witch quest? You are 2 level lower than i was at that point. It is one of the harder fights but
i found the after that even harder.

But yeah, skipping mobs with stealth is more punishing in the long run in my opinion. If you skip too many quest/mobs you will end up underleveled.

Chaos17

you do know you how RNG works right.. Your example does nothing to disprove that (whether either of us is right or wrong)

I never said people were wrong or I was right about this, I just told my experience I had.
Sorry if I didn't write : "Nope, it wasn't like that for me" and you took it the wrong way.

Dean-is-annoyed.gif

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't believe so, no. Similar to how you have to load up a single character with everything you want to trade for a single trade transaction as you can't swap inventories in the middle of a trade.

Ugh. That's really dumb. I can understand the characters not sharing inventories, but the damn bag is within my inventory, I should be able to open it during a transaction.

borghe

I never said people were wrong or I was right about this, I just told my experience I had.
Sorry if I didn't write : "Nope, it wasn't like that for me".

Sorry. Really not trying to get sassy here. Like I said above.. the RPS game is far from perfect. No way do I mean to come off that way. I just get why they implemented "something". It seems they wanted it to be a skill weighted random check. Which is great. I think most will agree with that. But yeah, the RPS game implemented to achieve this leaves a lot to be desired.

All I was really saying is that if you don't like the RPS game (certainly it is highly controversial), just pressing space "should" achieve what most are looking for. It just won't do a straight up 1:1 skill comparison though I don't think anybody is saying they'd want that.

on a game quest subject - has anyone arrested eglandaer and could you say what the xp reward is? for RP purposes I REALLY want to arrest him.. My PCs aren't vigilante killers and I don't really want to take Victoria's family heirloom for the lunatic.. but man having to waste 3 points on pick pocketing.. uggh.. other option I guess is any thoughts on all of the places to check for random armor for sale that might have +1 pick pocket on it.. Enchantress? King Crab? Umm anywhere else for armor sales?

I've found that as I progress, it gets harder. The ai use to just pick whatever beat my last pick so you could just counterpick them. Now they are switching it up. Sometimes they counter your counter pick and sometimes it is like normal. You can still win though but there is less strategy and more luck I've found.

Sub Zero

Did you skip the witch quest? You are 2 level lower than i was at that point. It is one of the harder fights but
i found the after that even harder.

But yeah, skipping mobs with stealth is more punishing in the long run in my opinion. If you skip too many quest/mobs you will end up underleveled.

Yes just noticed that I skipped the witch quest. Thought that I had to do the immaculates quest first.

danthefan

So started up my game and played through the first mini-dungeon place. There was only one fight so it was very easy. Exploring is a lot of fun and the couple of fights so far have been pretty easy but I understand that will change. Went with a Fighter and a Witch which seems to give a nice combo of spells and physical damage. Also came accross two drunk guards, quicksaved before and decided to test out the conversation options and was fairly surprised to find you could fight them as well as just talk it through with them. It's great that you have options, doubt I'll go around fighting when I can use dialogue though.

Around how long is a playthrough of this, in hours?

Durante

I've just played for another 4 or 5 hours and I'm still continuously amazed at just how good this game is, and the stuff you can pull off both in battles and in general.

We just won a battle against 7 level 7 enemies with a level 4-5 party by using every trick in the book.

It just feels so great to play this, because almost every time you have a smart (or insane) idea on how to deal with a situation - ideas that mostly you couldn't even try in other games because they aren't scripted for it - it actually works. So satisfying.

goblin

I am a bit confused.
I just realized, that whenever you use a bloodstone, you unlock a new room in the homestead.
but the problem is, arent they very limited?
wha if I need them for a quest, like healing alfie?

I think thats a bit odd

Using a blood stone (for a quest or otherwise) immediately turns it into a star stone that's absorbed into your Homestead. Also, I found three or so extra blood stones/star stones than I needed to fully unlock the Homestead by the end of the game.

I only remember encountering two quests in the game that required a blood stone to solve and they're both in Act 2.

Enjoying it tremendously.
I really feel the need for a "undo" button, even if there's the problem that it could be abused... too often I click on an enemy and get a misclick, moving my character where I don't want him to go. Also, finding the right spot for backstabbing is a tremendous pain.

I found backstabbing and attacking to be incredibly frustrating, but too powerful to give up.

For backstab positioning, try to find gear to improve your Scoundrel's movement rate/speed and eventually they'll be able to make small adjustments behind an enemy for 0 AP.

As far as attacks and misclicking, I resorted to just zooming all the way in and rotating the camera every time I attacked for a better hitbox. Unfortunately, there will still be times when your character is clipped through the enemy and you can't get a solid bead or your opponent animates when you click (rock elementals: #1 offender) causing you to misstep, waste AP, incur an attack of opportunity, or run your ranged attacker blindly across the map through lava. The only times I save scummed in combat were in high-stakes fights when trying to hit things or shoot a bow. You can already click on timeline portraits for abilities; just let me click on them to hit people, too.

Li Kao

Ok I'm finally ready to begin playing but first : I'm planning a solo play through, am I right in thinking there is no sense in activating dual conversation ? Wouldn't want to miss an essential part of the game but as someone said some dozens of pages earlier, "dual-solo" seems a bit mental.

Moff

I wonder how you can be level 11 at that point.
I just did this and I am level 16.
you probably missed a lot of zones/dungeons with level 12-15 enemies

Using a blood stone (for a quest or otherwise) immediately turns it into a star stone that's absorbed into your Homestead. Also, I found three or so extra blood stones/star stones than I needed to fully unlock the Homestead by the end of the game.

I only remember encountering two quests in the game that required a blood stone to solve and they're both in Act 2.

whats the second one?
I only found the sick animal

goblin

whats the second one?
I only found the sick animal

There's a dying Immaculate in the desert who wants one to save his life. I recommend taking his quest instead of giving him one from your inventory; it'll save you some trouble.

Top Bottom