• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I wonder how you can be level 11 at that point.
I just did this and I am level 16.
you probably missed a lot of zones/dungeons with level 12-15 enemies
[/SPOILER]

Yeah, maybe my party is well geared and leveled as I didn't have any problem with the game until that boss fight. I even beat the
Spider Queen in the desert

Moff

There's a dying Immaculate in the desert who wants one to save his life. I recommend taking his quest instead of giving him one from your inventory; it'll save you some trouble.

oh yeah, right, I remember now, i killed him becuase he gave me an attitude. so after act 2 there is no more quest use for bloodstones?
have you finished the game? any spoilerfree thoughts about it? esecially the second half of the game.

Moff

Yeah, maybe my party is well geared and leveled as I didn't have any problem with the game until that boss fight. I even beat the
Spider Queen in the desert

well I think you will be at a dead end there, thats basically the end of zone 2, you should do the rest first.
I think this game provides more than enough enemies for players to always be at least the level of the current enemies. so if they are 2 or more levels higher than you, you missed something

Eternia

Whoever suggested using the pyramids as an in-combat teleport is a goddamned genius. Use stealth to place one of the pyramids at the other end of the battlefield before the fight even begins (telekinesis helps) and you now have a fast way to get a melee character to the soft targets without blowing a skill cooldown.
Ha, never occurred to me to use those things in battle. I ended up just have my Rogue use Featherfall and Oath of Desecration (since she goes first all the time) and my mage cast Haste on my melee character. Works out the same.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just started the White Witch quest.
Talked to the talking Mushroom and failed it's riddle. Quest log says that I should speak with the Imp Historian. Visited him in the End of Time but he doesn't seem to have any dialog options regarding the quest.

nbthedude

I've just played for another 4 or 5 hours and I'm still continuously amazed at just how good this game is, and the stuff you can pull off both in battles and in general.

We just won a battle against 7 level 7 enemies with a level 4-5 party by using every trick in the book.

It just feels so great to play this, because almost every time you have a smart (or insane) idea on how to deal with a situation - ideas that mostly you couldn't even try in other games because they aren't scripted for it - it actually works. So satisfying.

Constantly.

"Wait? Can't I just teleport that bomb guy on top of that other bomb guy?" Yes!

"Huh. I wonder if I can teleport my Warrior into the group?" Yes!

"Man that weapon that just dropped looks awesome too bad I can't pick it up and equip in the middle of the fight..." Wait. Holy shit.

"What if I throw my Fire Elemental in the middle of a bunch of Fire guys? Won't they heal him when they attack?" Yes!

"But now the fire guys are almost dead. I wonder if I can heal them just so they will keep attacking and healing my fire elemental?" Yes!

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Armaros

Ha, never occurred to me to use those things in battle. I ended up just have my Rogue use Featherfall and Oath of Desecration (since she goes first all the time) and my mage cast Haste on my melee character. Works out the same.

Big point is that the teleports both both ways, so you do teleport attacks and then get out without having to burn all of your mobility cooldowns. Featherfall tactical retreat etc.

A couple of questions. Is there a way to find a location on the map? Like one quest says I have to go to the tavern but I'm not exactly sure where that is. Do you have to explore to find it? Also I accidentally got in combat with a group that was a few levels above me and decided to flee. 2 of my characters made it out but one was too close and died. Is there anyway to resurrect a character so they are not in combat? Because I used the resurrection spell and they were revived but then dead on one hit immediately after

After restarting a ton of times, I'm finally figuring out how combat works.

Definitely can't brute force your way through this game. At least not the beginning.

Ragnaroz

I refuse to believe this is an genuine response and not a troll post.
This, lol.

I'm still just a couple hours in, but I'm absolutely in love with this game. Level 5 and a half atm and getting ready to finish the murder quest. Maybe a should lvl up a bit more. xD

nbthedude

A couple of questions. Is there a way to find a location on the map? Like one quest says I have to go to the tavern but I'm not exactly sure where that is. Do you have to explore to find it? Also I accidentally got in combat with a group that was a few levels above me and decided to flee. 2 of my characters made it out but one was too close and died. Is there anyway to resurrect a character so they are not in combat? Because I used the resurrection spell and they were revived but then dead on one hit immediately after

Once you find a special building location, it will show up as a little golden square on your map that you can hover over.

As far as the dead NPCs. The only way to ressurect them is to go back to where they died and use a resurrect scroll/spell on them. There is a flee combat button on the right side screen, however.

Not even remotely the same thing. One is a gameplay changing mechanic, the other is a software convenience.

Right, but its an option. A gameplay changing option. And quicksaving in combat is also a gameplay change. Why don't I just quicksave every single round if things don't go my way, or if I miss a swing on my warrior? If the punishment for dying is having to go back to an old save, only losing a round or two of progress fundamentally changes the tension in combat.

Optional quest markers would mean that the game would be somehow balanced with them in mind, affecting even those players who choose not to enable them.

You're arguing against crappy game designers, not against the option itself.

Durante

Constantly.

"Man that weapon that just dropped looks awesome too bad I can't pick it up and equip in the middle of the fight..." Wait. Holy shit.

"What if I throw my Fire Elemental in the middle of a bunch of Fire guys? Won't they heal him when they attack?" Yes!

"But now the fire guys are almost dead. I wonder if I can heal them just so they will keep attacking and healing my fire elemental?" Yes!

Etc. Etc. Etc.
Exactly. And the crucial point is the etc.

Every time you think you've now figured everything out there's another thing you try and it just works.

So good.

jtenma

Banned
Plugs in PS3 controller (with xbox360 drivers).
Turns on D:OS
"OH SHIT!"
I'm navigating the menus!
Go into game.
Does it work?!??!?!
Moves camera around with D-PAD
"OH SHIT!?!?!?!"

...no other buttons work.

AWW SHIT...

"The dream is dead." ~Onslaught, MvC2

So, a spellsword with weather the storm, rage, flurry, lightning strike and explode.

Mmmmmm.

Go on...

Major mid-game mechanics spoiler about weapon skills and character building:
By the time I was going to start investing points into the Weapons skills, I had unlocked Tenebrium training -- which applies to weapons of all types, starts with a free point of training, boosts the damage of the best weapons in the game, and renders all other weapon skills and the points you put into them completely worthless. You can respec eventually, but it requires you to re-acquire skill books. If you can and want to do a hybrid build, try to either hold out on putting points into weapon skills until you get Tenebrium training or stockpile duplicates of the skill books you want for use after your respec.

Thanks for this, definitely the good kind of spoiler and something I'd prefer to know going into a game. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Really iffy design if true. I absolutely hate dump stats.

Eternia

Big point is that the teleports both both ways, so you do teleport attacks and then get out without having to burn all of your mobility cooldowns. Featherfall tactical retreat etc.
Shows how much I've paid attention to those pyramids if they don't have a significant cooldown. Neat.

Durante

The pyramids are just as powerful as you would expect an unlimited use teleportation device to be.

Talking about their use in battle, as long as you have both Pyramids in your inventory, if one of your characters can safely flee battle, all of them can. I'll leave the how as an exercise for the reader :p

Whoever suggested using the pyramids as an in-combat teleport is a goddamned genius. Use stealth to place one of the pyramids at the other end of the battlefield before the fight even begins (telekinesis helps) and you now have a fast way to get a melee character to the soft targets without blowing a skill cooldown.

I can't believe the strategies that arose in my head when I figured out I could do this. I use the pyramids the same way you described, as a way of getting my heavy hitters close to a mob without spending AP for movement. The best part is, it lets me preserve my Battering Ram skills in case they need to quickly respond to an unexpected threat to my less-durable characters. Really great stuff. :)

VandalD

Got to a pretty tough fight. Tried to hole up in a room with my shield wielder blocking a door, but all the huge ass enemies just walk right through. I even tried plugging the "hole" with two summons. Nope! More pour in. I should have just gone with another 2H warrior. What's the point of having a shield user if anything can just run past and hit my squishies?
Time to Die!
I see what you did there.

Nete

Constantly.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

"What if I use invisibility to stack half dozen oil barrels around that troll+7 mobs that are crushing me with their 2-3 extra levels and start the fight with a fireball?" LOL ONESHOTTED ALL THEM

Love this game.

Monooboe

Finally did it! Beat
King Braccus, followed the tips in this thread, by pulling them one and one, using pots as a wall(which they did break.o_O) and then I also open and closed the door to be able to heal the whole team.XD

Once you find a special building location, it will show up as a little golden square on your map that you can hover over.

As far as the dead NPCs. The only way to ressurect them is to go back to where they died and use a resurrect scroll/spell on them. There is a flee combat button on the right side screen, however.

Yeah I tried to flee but apparently they were too close to my body and it wouldn't allow it.

epmode

Man, the pyro spell Firefly is ridiculously useful for protecting ranged characters. Glad I memorized it.

Now I just want an invisibility spell but I haven't found anyone selling a skillbook. (STILL in Act 1)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Can someone confirm if more than 10 NPC's conversations are supposed to be stored in your 'Dialogues' log in the menu interface?

My last 10 NPC conversations are all that are stored in there...... meaning (and I've tested it) that if I chose to speak to the same NPC 10 times in a row, that's all that will be in my Dialogues log, with the rest of my conversations from the game gone.

If this is an intended feature... I'm bamboozled.
If I'm bugged.. that means 10 hours of gametime down the gurgler.. I'd prefer to know now though I guess, and reinstall if need be :p

Thanks GAF, in advance!

Gaz_RB

Can someone confirm if more than 10 NPC's conversations are supposed to be stored in your 'Dialogues' log in the menu interface?

My last 10 NPC conversations are all that are stored in there...... meaning (and I've tested it) that if I chose to speak to the same NPC 10 times in a row, that's all that will be in my Dialogues log, with the rest of my conversations from the game gone.

If this is an intended feature... I'm bamboozled.
If I'm bugged.. that means 10 hours of gametime down the gurgler.. I'd prefer to know now though I guess, and reinstall if need be :p

Thanks GAF, in advance!

It resets on reload/restart if I remember correctly. And only ten.

Also I love that you used the words bamboozled and gurgler.

Moff

why, whats the problem?
maybe we can help you out.

edit: just hit 40 hours, game still doesnt cease to amaze me, its just so much of everything

Durante

I wrote a review on Steam:
Divinity: Original Sin is far better than anyone could have reasonably expected. While its excellent world interactivity and in-depth crafting system were things which were talked about and demonstrated before the release, and the typical Larian humour in quests and writing could be expected, its sheer level of quality in other regards is simply off the scale.

The battle system may be the best in any computer role playing game ever created. The combination of a full set of modern features, including attacks of opportunity, with an initiative / action point system, free movement and a highly polished user interface is a joy to play and strategize with.

However, what truly sets the game apart is the versatility in terms of player agency which it offers. Ideas which you might never even consider in other games, or which might not even be possible to attempt, are not only possible to execute but actually work. This level of interactivity, combined with the very well developed system of elemental area effects and their interaction, allows for an almost infinite number of possibilities for solving situations, both in battles and during exploration.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes using their head while playing.

I should have gotten "your frothing demand for this game should increase" somewhere in there.

DSN2K

Man, the pyro spell Firefly is ridiculously useful for protecting ranged characters. Glad I memorized it.

Now I just want an invisibility spell but I haven't found anyone selling a skillbook. (STILL in Act 1)

I learnt Firefly last night, yep its amazing how you can use a typically offensive spells for defensive purposes.

goblin

oh yeah, right, I remember now, i killed him becuase he gave me an attitude. so after act 2 there is no more quest use for bloodstones?
have you finished the game? any spoilerfree thoughts about it? esecially the second half of the game.

There might be! I could have missed one, or just be forgetting it. It doesn't hurt to keep an extra blood stone in your inventory just in case.

Yeah, I finished it. I really enjoyed it overall and felt it was a great fusion of the old expansive cRPGs I used to love with the potential of modern technology. I always used to fantasize about being able to combine spells or affect the environment with magic in the old Infinity Engine games, so I love the amount of freedom that D:OS allows in things like combat, puzzle solving and quest solutions. I played solo, but I thought the co-op protagonist idea was novel and disagreeing with myself the whole way through the game paid off for me the way I wanted it to in the end. Also really enjoyed the soundtrack, and especially that there are multiple battle themes.

The tone in the second half -- particularly the last major area -- does up the stakes and feel darker. It never gets as serious as I'd like, but I understand that this is how Larian does things and they did a fine job. There will hopefully be more cRPGs in the future that can give me the storytelling I want.

Some issues in no particular order:
- Pet pal is a really clever way of incorporating hints into the game. Having to click on and chase after a rat, the most common animal in dungeons, sucks. If they just stayed put after luring them out with cheese it wouldn't be a problem.
- I would've liked more and better companions; they feel pretty shallow and one-note all the way up until right before their quests, when they spill the beans on their backstories all at once.
- Too many puzzles that are only difficult because you, the player, have to wave your mouse around the screen to hunt for a button or floor switch. I'd like a key to highlight all interactables (except those hidden by skillchecks) or, failing that, for a high perception score to cause your character to make a comment.
- It may just have been random loot, but I had a huge skill disparity between my spellcasters and my characters who specialized in Man-at-Arms, Scoundrel and Marksman. Each of the casters continued to get skills up until level 18, but the others peaked at level 13. I checked various shopkeepers every level but never found anything else. If there are more skills than that, I'd prefer that they not be tied so heavily to randomized drops and shopkeepers. If there aren't, there should be.
- I didn't care for the RPS game. I went heavy into charisma on one character and had 6-8 vs. 3 for almost the entire game and I almost never won when I skipped, and always won when I played which just felt like the game wasting my time. I understand wanting it for the dual conversations, but I'd rather just have a weighted dice roll or straight skill check in my combat log for NPCs.
- No day/night cycles and static weather is kind of weird, but I got used to it. Having dynamic weather would've played really nicely into the combat system, though, so it's a shame there isn't any.
- UI quibbles (including but not limited to: identifying a full page of items one at a time, clunky inventory management and character switching, misclicking in combat is the worst)
- Technical problems. I encountered a soft lock, on average, every hour of gameplay -- usually in a barter screen or during a load. In fact, when I finished the game it crashed to desktop during the credits. I found that oddly fitting.

It's a testament to how much I liked the game overall that I powered through it so quickly in spite of its technical issues. I didn't really get into Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, or Divinity 2 so I was sucker punched by how much I found to enjoy in Original Sin. I look forward to seeing what Larian makes next, and what sort of mods the community can put out in the future.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It resets on reload/restart if I remember correctly. And only ten.

Also I love that you used the words bamboozled and gurgler.

The resetting part.. are you meaning the dialogue box (on screen), as I'm meaning the Dialogues log when you hit the map button (with 'Dialogues' as the tab in that interface) which shows the full transcript of the conversations with the NPCs.

Thanks for the quick response too Gaz, GAF always has the best help I've found.

why, whats the problem?
maybe we can help you out.

edit: just hit 40 hours, game still doesnt cease to amaze me, its just so much of everything

Just wanting to know if anyone else has more than 10 conversations in the 'Dialogues' tab of the menu/journal etc interface - I thought all your conversations in the game were stored there.. but only my last 10 NPC conversations are saving, so when I went back for clues for stuff, there were gone (if the conversation I was after was more than 10 convos ago).

Not a huge problem in most games, but for a game that relies on sifting through notes/evidence and stuff, if this is a bug.. I'll most definitely reinstall if required :)

- Technical problems. I encountered a soft lock, on average, every hour of gameplay -- usually in a barter screen or during a load. In fact, when I finished the game it crashed to desktop during the credits. I found that oddly fitting.

That's unusual. I've had 1 crash in 52 hours. Are you on a 32-bit system by chance?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So wait, for the
prison path leading to where the white witch is imprisoned, how are we supposed to solve the 4 Sentinels lava puzzle?

I solved it using my 2 teleport characters and I suppose that I could have made my rogue go invisible too but somehow I feel that that's not the "proper" way to complete it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've been making a slow but steady progress with my all-physical Cleric, pure Ranger and the two companions. But I can't help feeling that I've hit a wall with my Cleric. I wanted to make her a bulky character that could act as a "meat shield", tanking enemies and drawing attention to herself... but so far, she's been rather mediocre. I've been investing in HP, Shield and Armor skills and resistances, but she only has three skills (Battering Ram, the fist that knocks enemies down and the Man-at-Arms healing) and she's really not that useful in combat.

Any hint or tip on how I should be speccing her? I'm not very far into the main plotline (in fact, I've just reached the Homestead), so restarting isn't out of the question. I much rather have to play a few hours again that carry a character that just doesn't cut it through the whole game.

If I do restart, what would be a good character to build, based on the same party (pure Ranger and two companions)?

So wait, for the
prison path leading to where the white witch is imprisoned, how are we supposed to solve the 4 Sentinels lava puzzle?

I solved it using my 2 teleport characters and I suppose that I could have made my rogue go invisible too but somehow I feel that that's not the "proper" way to complete it.

I don't know if there's any "right" way to solve it. Any approach works.
Don't forget you have teleport pyramids you can throw around.

I think i just suck.

Im in the beginning town.
Murder mystery trying to find some girls shack. after searching everywhere to find some stupid switch on the wall in the Arm's dealers basement. Now whenever I leave town in what i THINK is the right direction i get destroyed.

I dont really know where to go, cant heal cause the spell book i bought wont work for either character I have....idk. I really want to love the shit out of this game but maybe its just not for me.

Wow, that is really high. 32 hours here and one crash. That doesn't change what you've experienced, but that is such a huge disparity. Are you playing on a lower end system, perhaps the game does not scale well?

Taruranto

Major mid-game mechanics spoiler about weapon skills and character building:
By the time I was going to start investing points into the Weapons skills, I had unlocked Tenebrium training -- which applies to weapons of all types, starts with a free point of training, boosts the damage of the best weapons in the game, and renders all other weapon skills and the points you put into them completely worthless. You can respec eventually, but it requires you to re-acquire skill books. If you can and want to do a hybrid build, try to either hold out on putting points into weapon skills until you get Tenebrium training or stockpile duplicates of the skill books you want for use after your respec.

Uh? Pretty sure the weapons skill stack with the "new" skill.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know if there's any "right" way to solve it. Any approach works.
Don't forget you have teleport pyramids you can throw around.
I just thought that
there might be a pattern with the Sentinels where they won't be looking your way or that the button in the middle might stop the lava from appearing but apparently not?

Oh well, I enjoyed the way I solved it and that what makes this game great.

Cyseal Spoilers:
How do you get that pyramid in the Mayor's house?

Did you get the first pyramid yet? Think about how the pyramids work ^.^

Also you can click-drag almost any item into your inventory, that's how you pick them up when they're dropped.

I just thought that
there might be a pattern with the Sentinels where they won't be looking your way or that the button in the middle might stop the lava from appearing but apparently not?

Oh well, I enjoyed the way I solved it and that what makes this game great.

I didn't notice any pattern either. I think I used tactical retreat to get around it.

ok im lost on this murder quest. ive found everything in esmeraldas basement and talked to everyone who is a suspect and have no idea what to do. i have no options for arrests or to accuse anybody

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I have the manual for the SparkMaster controller, but no controller. Does such a thing exist? I have no idea how I'm supposed to beat this guy without using the commands outlined in the manual.

edit: nevermind, I finally managed to beat him fair and square. Didn't even lose any of the three civilians.

Is there a controller, though?

Top Bottom