• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been making a slow but steady progress with my all-physical Cleric, pure Ranger and the two companions. But I can't help feeling that I've hit a wall with my Cleric. I wanted to make her a bulky character that could act as a "meat shield", tanking enemies and drawing attention to herself... but so far, she's been rather mediocre. I've been investing in HP, Shield and Armor skills and resistances, but she only has three skills (Battering Ram, the fist that knocks enemies down and the Man-at-Arms healing) and she's really not that useful in combat.

Any hint or tip on how I should be speccing her? I'm not very far into the main plotline (in fact, I've just reached the Homestead), so restarting isn't out of the question. I much rather have to play a few hours again that carry a character that just doesn't cut it through the whole game.

If I do restart, what would be a good character to build, based on the same party (pure Ranger and two companions)?

Invest in strength and offensive skills. Offense is the best defense in this game. Especially seeing that there is no taunt skill as far as I know.

Also when you start you might want to invest in one earth magic point just to get the summon spider skill. That spider is the best early game tank you can get. Earth and air magic also have the best defense spells in fortify and become air.

Zakalwe

Banned
Still engrossed.

Two questions please:

1. White Witch Quest
Just spoken with the mushroom, told me the Immaculates raised the barrier. Where's the next steap? I've searched everywhere, and Infiltrate the Immaculates is a little too high to continue with right now.

2. Unlocking Homestead Rooms
I gather Bloodstones turn to Starstones once used, and they unlock like this?
I've used 3, and I only have the Hall of Heroes. I tested with a forth, but nothing happened. Each time I used one, the Rift Travel icon glows, but when I return to the Homestead the Imp is standing next to the HoH portal and just repeats the "I wonder what they'll say" dialogue.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :3

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
ok im lost on this murder quest. ive found everything in esmeraldas basement and talked to everyone who is a suspect and have no idea what to do. i have no options for arrests or to accuse anybody

Have you spoken to esmeralda and gotten the prompt to explore evelyn's house?

Still engrossed.

Two questions please:

1. White Witch Quest
Just spoken with the mushroom, told me the Immaculates raised the barrier. Where's the next steap? I've searched everywhere, and Infiltrate the Immaculates is a little too high to continue with right now.

Kill those mushrooms.

Ragona

Hey one quick question regarding Map II:

ive just beaten the mad ice king and got the staff..found out it rocks hard and dont want to destroy it just yet. is it ok to do all the stuff on the main map first before i release the witch with the fire element from destroying the staff?
or is it important to release her right away? Want to make good use of that staff

Moff

Hey one quick question regarding Map II:

ive just beaten the mad ice king and got the staff..found out it rocks hard and dont wanna destroy it just yet. is it ok to do all the stuff on the main map first before i release the witch with the fire element from destroying the staff? or is it important to release her right away? Want to make good use of that staff

thats hard to answer completely witthout spoiling anything, but I think if you dont run into a bug you should be able to clear the rest of the zone first.

nbthedude

ok im lost on this murder quest. ive found everything in esmeraldas basement and talked to everyone who is a suspect and have no idea what to do. i have no options for arrests or to accuse anybody

There are three pieces of evidence. One in the inn, two in he house. After you have all three talk to
Esmerelda
and you'll be directed as to where to go next.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Invest in strength and offensive skills. Offense is the best defense in this game. Especially seeing that there is no taunt skill as far as I know.

Also when you start you might want to invest in one earth magic point just to get the summon spider skill. That spider is the best early game tank you can get. Earth and air magic also have the best defense spells in fortify and become air.

Will do! I went with "pure" builds because I assumed they would be much more focused than "hybrids", but I'll add some Earth magic to my tank this time around.

goblin

That's unusual. I've had 1 crash in 52 hours. Are you on a 32-bit system by chance?

Windows 7, 64-bit. Settings on medium-high and it runs decent, not great. Glad to hear that I'm an outlier. I did notice that it became less frequent as the game was patched, but I chalked it up to doing a lot less bartering once I got out of the first two areas.

Uh? Pretty sure the weapons skill stack with the "new" skill.

I just double-checked. I'm looking at changes in the Damage stat in the upper-middle column. I tried the same thing with a one-handed dagger and a bow, but I didn't have a crossbow in my inventory. Spoilers in the screenshots.

http://imgur.com/gWZrn6U,j73K3As,0VLg1nd#0

So I have the manual for the SparkMaster controller, but no controller. Does such a thing exist? I have no idea how I'm supposed to beat this guy without using the commands outlined in the manual.

edit: nevermind, I finally managed to beat him fair and square. Didn't even lose any of the three civilians.

Is there a controller, though?

Yeah.
I think you have to talk to Ahru about the quest and he'll give you the controller.
If it's any consolation, when I tried it the controller was bugged and none of the options worked so I had to kill him anyway.

Is there anyway of being able to rotate the camera 360 degrees?

You can unlock camera rotation in the options. The game world was built for the limited rotation pointing north so things might not look as polished if you rotate all the way south. I've been using an unlocked camera all game though and haven't noticed anything too crazy or broken, but things like switches and buttons are always viewable when rotated north.

TP17

You can unlock camera rotation in the options. The game world was built for the limited rotation pointing north so things might not look as polished if you rotate all the way south. I've been using an unlocked camera all game though and haven't noticed anything too crazy or broken, but things like switches and buttons are always viewable when rotated north.

Go into your game(?) options and enable "Unlock Rotation"

Awesome, thanks!

Snackawho

Oh man this game is terrific. I already have over 35 hours invested into this game and I'm only just now leaving Cyseal. I find myself really indecisive in where to put in my attribute points and skill points. I take like 30 minutes just figuring that out...

I got so insanely lucky in the
Braccuss Rex fight. On my first run through his fire aoe destroyed my entire team killing my ranger and mage instantly. I reloaded and I immediately used Battering Ram with my tank before he started the conversation. For some reason doing that knocked him out of his fire aoe which was absolutely fantastic. I knocked Rex down with knock down arrows and immediately focused on twins. Used a fire elemental to distract ghoul. I killed twins in 2 turns but luckily Bones was standing right next to twins when I killed him so Bones died instantly in Twins lava pool. I immediately teleported ghoul right on top of the Twin's lava pool killing him instantly. I then focused on Rex and killed him relatively quickly.
I barely took any damage on my second run through.

Absolutely love this game!!

Quick question: I know literally nothing about this game other than the screen captures and videos on Steam. I loved RPGs growing up, but despise the new cinematic approach that the Final Fantasy type games have taken.

Is this one worth checking out? Can it be played in smaller bite size chunks or will it consume my entire life? I can't afford the latter anymore. What is the coop like? Is it mandatory to progress?

Can I play as a stealthy, backstabbing rogue? Would that be effective? Do I need to research player creation and development to avoid screwing something up at the offset, or are all characters ultimately effective?

I suppose I should mention that I sold a Desert Eagle on Counter-Strike: GO for $70 last night (LOL!), so the game would essentially be free.

Spent all of last night trying to kill
Borealis

Finally did so, played about an hour. Died. Found out I didn't save.

Quick question: I know literally nothing about this game other than the screen captures and videos on Steam. I loved RPGs growing up, but despise the new cinematic approach that the Final Fantasy type games have taken.

Is this one worth checking out? Can it be played in smaller bite size chunks or will it consume my entire life? I can't afford the latter anymore. What is the coop like? Is it mandatory to progress?

Can I play as a stealthy, backstabbing rogue? Would that be effective? Do I need to research player creation and development to avoid screwing something up at the offset, or are all characters ultimately effective?

I suppose I should mention that I sold a Desert Eagle on Counter-Strike: GO for $70 last night (LOL!), so the game would essentially be free.

1. Yes. It's incredibly fresh.
2. It will consume you if you let it.
3. Co-Op is fantastic, not mandatory. Even the fights, which are designed for "a fresh set of eyes" can be done normally.
4. You can cross class the hell out of this game, but it is wise to be political about your parties makeup. This is an experience system where it is better to let your upgrades stack before putting points in them.
5. Do it.

ExReey

What did you guys do with the female orc in the library? Can you keep the amulet for yourself and then have the elf arrested?

Ceebs

So stuck on 2 different things, both still in Cyseal:

I regards to the elf's quest:
I still have not figured out how to avoid killing her. I failed the check to get her amulet, and I need proof to arrest the elf. No clue where to go here, and I can't search his room since he is constantly facing the chest and dresser I would search.

About the warehouse in the harbor:
So in the beta you could get into the back room, but I can't figure out a way in now without causing a fight with the guards.

Aeana

This game seems ridiculously huge. There's 4 total maps right? With all being as big as Cyseal? Hard to imagine.
There's 4? Really?
Jeez. How did Larian make this game and Dragon Commander at the same time, in such a short amount of time?

1. Yes. It's incredibly fresh.
2. It will consume you if you let it.
3. Co-Op is fantastic, not mandatory. Even the fights, which are designed for "a fresh set of eyes" can be done normally.
4. You can cross class the hell out of this game, but it is wise to be political about your parties makeup. This is an experience system where it is better to let your upgrades stack before putting points in them.
5. Do it.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on the deluxe version and sent a copy to my brother, who hopefully will join me later. I should probably read up a bit on the class system to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger on the deluxe version and sent a copy to my brother, who hopefully will join me later. I should probably read up a bit on the class system to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Make sure to dedicate one character to Loremaster, one to Crafting, and one to Blacksmithing. That way, around level 10+, you have one guy that can identify high level magical equipment, one that can imbue weapons and armor, and one that can fix the entire parties equipment. My main problem at this point is that I have one character with all of that, and it really hurt me.

Here's what I'm basically rocking:

Everyone in my party is versed in at least one level of Hydrophology in order to get access to healing spells.

My party set up:
Lady Sherlock is my Knight. She has an Ice Elemental summon as well as Ice Shard for long range, when close combat is not an option.
Shakespeare is a Wayfarer, and has evolved into being my crowd controller with both Spider and Fire Elemental summons. I opted out of a staff in favor of a crossbow, and the juxtaposition of magic and a long range physical weapon works great. I gave him a point in Marksman so I could give him Ricochet and Mute.

I swapped out the two other party members as soon as I could for a Ranger and a Witch as soon as I could.
Neresa is my Witch, and she's my assault. She has a Fire summon and all of the offensive Fire and Air spells. While Shakespeare and Sherlock both have offensive spells, Neresa is decked out with the heavy duty Area of Effect shit.
Gaereoga is my Ranger, and my status effect defensive guy. He has Mute, Cure, and a bunch of other skills dedicated to either stopping or starting status problems.

I added a point to Gaereoga's Man o' War skill so I access Cure Wounds, as he was the only party member that did not have a heal skill or spell, and I thought giving him an outright spell would ruin the characterization I had going for him.

I might give him a summon later, just so everyone in my party can just roll into the start of every battle with a friend. It will be an animal summon, not a magic one.

Sherlock now has Lightning Strike, which is a lot like Battering Ram, except with chain lightning damage and in a zig-zag instead of a straight line.

goblin

So stuck on 2 different things, both still in Cyseal:

I regards to the elf's quest:
I still have not figured out how to avoid killing her. I failed the check to get her amulet, and I need proof to arrest the elf. No clue where to go here, and I can't search his room since he is constantly facing the chest and dresser I would search.

About the warehouse in the harbor:
So in the beta you could get into the back room, but I can't figure out a way in now without causing a fight with the guards.

Elf:
You can have one of your characters talk to him (to force him to face another direction) and then use another character to rifle through his things and pickpocket.
I think the proof is the bloody item in his inventory, but I just closed the door and killed him.

Warehouse:
I was able to cause a fight with the guards, then click on the door which alerted the captain but also let me try at a Charisma check.

Ceebs

Elf:
You can have one of your characters talk to him (to force him to face another direction) and then use another character to rifle through his things and pickpocket.
I think the proof is the bloody item in his inventory, but I just closed the door and killed him.

Been trying that, he will not turn around.

Make sure to dedicate one character to Loremaster, one to Crafting, and one to Blacksmithing. That way, around level 10+, you have one guy that can identify high level magical equipment, one that can imbue weapons and armor, and one that can fix the entire parties equipment. My main problem at this point is that I have one character with all of that, and it really hurt me.

Thanks, man! I'm reading that WIzards basically dominate everything right now. Any truth to that? Will I be gimping myself severely if I try to go the backstabbing rogue route as my "main"? I don't want to make the game intentionally difficult my first time through.

Karak

All good answers to the questions you asked,
But about consuming. Dude. I am serious when I say its possible even if you normally aren't prone. I was up straight for 36 fucking hours the moment I got it. Now I don't sleep that much anyway but then stayed up all last night as well playing a second playthrough but seriously it CAN be consuming. It is huge, has a ton of variety, is fairly depth riddled, and has almost next level gameplay at times.

All good answers to the questions you asked,
But about consuming. Dude. I am serious when I say its possible even if you normally aren't prone. I was up straight for 36 fucking hours the moment I got it. Now I don't sleep that much anyway but then stayed up all last night as well playing a second playthrough but seriously it CAN be consuming. It is huge, has a ton of variety, is fairly depth riddled, and has almost next level gameplay at times.

You post that NOW after I've purchased the damn thing? :p

I'll have to exercise a very weak level one ability I have called "Self Control." I'm not sure it will be powerful enough.

Karak

You post that NOW after I've purchased the damn thing? :p

I'll have to exercise a very weak level one ability I have called "Self Control." I'm not sure it will be powerful enough.

Sorry its not like its some terrible disease. It is just a really god damn good game. For me in my top 3 games of the year easily and probably closer to 1 than 3.

Conezays

Thanks as well-I've played the game for 20+ hours and still didn't know this :p

Torraz

Just got the first companion in Cyseal (Jahan), and I am already regretting not making one of my mains a thief with lockpicking skills. So many locked doors that I have already passed.

If the second companion is not some ranger/thief I think I will have to invest in lockpicking and pickpocketting on one of my characters. Not sure whether to put them on my fighter or on my mages.

Spookie

Oh god, there is an area later with Lava and human enemies.

"What was that Mr Archer? You wish to take a dip in the lava which would instagib you? Don't mind if you do!"
*Cackles*

Just got the first companion in Cyseal (Jahan), and I am already regretting not making one of my mains a thief with lockpicking skills. So many locked doors that I have already passed.

Lockpicking is awful.

Use spells! :D

Durante

There's 4? Really?
Jeez. How did Larian make this game and Dragon Commander at the same time, in such a short amount of time?
They've been making this game since (the end of) 2010.

And this is just my speculation, but I think both this and Dragon Commander use at least some assets created for the original idea/scope of Divinity II (watch this).

Single player versus multi player: Does this work like in D2, where I need to choose the latter if I plan on playing this character with my brother later? Or can I import my character into a multi player game afterward?

Spookie

Uh. Wow. Act 2 North of the map spoilers
Straight up cleared out every demon by sneaking left and destroying the blood stone with a rogue. Awesome!

Conezays

Single player versus multi player: Does this work like in D2, where I need to choose the latter if I plan on playing this character with my brother later? Or can I import my character into a multi player game afterward?

Separate characters are needed as far as I know.

Durante

Every game can be a multiplayer game (and turn into one at any point), but games are intrinsically linked to characters - or in other words, characters don't travel between games. So if you want to play with someone else and they want to have "their own" character they need to join at the start to create it.

danthefan

Ok idiotic question but how the hell do you get a merchant to repair your gear? I hit the repair option, select the item, they tell me it'll cost XYZ gold, I hit yes, and then nothing happens. I've tried putting the money into my side of the trade window and nothing there either.

goblin

Thanks, man! I'm reading that WIzards basically dominate everything right now. Any truth to that? Will I be gimping myself severely if I try to go the backstabbing rogue route as my "main"? I don't want to make the game intentionally difficult my first time through.

Luckily you have two mains, so feel free to let one backstab to your heart's content! Having a dedicated Scoundrel is completely viable, but getting into position for backstabs can be really frustrating early on when your movement options are more limited. Give it a try and see how you like it. You can always splash in some archery skills for versatility. Also (character build spoiler)
you will eventually be able to respec.

In my experience magic dominated until roughly the last third of the game. Loot is random, and when I found the right gear my Scoundrel and Warrior quickly overtook my casters as the main damage dealers while also being more mobile and practically invulnerable, respectively. My spellcasters still had plenty to do between buffing, healing, summoning and environmental support though.

All the main skills seem pretty viable. At the end of the day, Divinity: Original Sin is going to reward clever strategy and stacking barrels.

Every game can be a multiplayer game (and turn into one at any point), but games are intrinsically linked to characters - or in other words, characters don't travel between games. So if you want to play with someone else and they want to have "their own" character they need to join at the start to create it.

Got you. So basically, we'd have to play exclusively together from the get-go in order to make it "our" characters. Whereas either of us could import our main single player character so long as we're hosting.

Top Bottom