• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Is the Golden Grail just called that? Worried I might have sold it to someone without realizing it. Would be under the misc section right? I have the trunks at least, didn't realize the coop pack I bought at early access launch had these things. If I search around could I buy back the grail?

Durante

I found a nice camera bug:
screenshot_2014-07-06brscb.jpg

Got you. So basically, we'd have to play exclusively together from the get-go in order to make it "our" characters. Whereas either of us could import our main single player character so long as we're hosting.
Almost. You wouldn't really be importing, someone else would be taking over some characters of your existing single-player party. It works like the Infinity Engine games in this regard.

Torraz

Oh god, there is an area later with Lava and human enemies.

"What was that Mr Archer? You wish to take a dip in the lava which would instagib you? Don't mind if you do!"
*Cackles*

Lockpicking is awful.

Use spells! :D

I do have a scroll of unlocking. Is it possible to permanently learn this spell?

epmode

I do have a scroll of unlocking. Is it possible to permanently learn this spell?

The scroll is green which means it's a marksmanship skill. While you can convert scrolls to skillbooks via crafting, I don't think it's possible to make blank skillbooks for anything but the four elemental skills and witchcraft. So it's not possible.

Terra_Ex

screenshot_2014-07-06brscb.jpg

Almost. You wouldn't really be importing, someone else would be taking over some characters of your existing single-player party. It works like the Infinity Engine games in this regard.

Yeah, that occurs when you pull the camera far back in the higher parts of Cyseal and other maps and then travel back to a lower area. I kinda like it myself and hope they don't "fix" it.

Is the Golden Grail just called that? Worried I might have sold it to someone without realizing it. Would be under the misc section right? I have the trunks at least, didn't realize the coop pack I bought at early access launch had these things. If I search around could I buy back the grail?
Yes, it is called "Golden Grail", it is classified as an ingredient.

This game is fantastic, I just wish I could stop obsessively saving and reloading before opening chests. As much as I love loot, it's becoming a chore. At least I'm not so crazy as to do it on all containers I guess.

Santiako

http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-07-06brscb.jpg[/IMG.]

Almost. You wouldn't really be importing, someone else would be taking over some characters of your existing single-player party. It works like the Infinity Engine games in this regard.[/QUOTE]

Happens sometimes, just press Home to refocus the camera on your character.

epmode

Or just hold the left mouse button down so the camera zooms in.

It's nice having a wide viewable area but the depth of field effect makes everything blurry when it gets that far back. Incidentally, I normally dislike DoF effects but it works very nicely in this game so I won't disable it.

Durante

Oh, I quickly found how to fix the camera bug.

What I'd like them to add is a way to zoom out that much without invoking the bug ;)
(And automatically adjusting DoF, I disabled it for that shot)

Santiako

Oh, I quickly found how to fix the camera bug.

What I'd like them to add is a way to zoom out that much without invoking the bug ;)
(And automatically adjusting DoF, I disabled it for that shot)

Yeah, I'd like to play with the camera a bit further, especially in combat.

Dario ff

Banned
I really like the Preserving Action Points mechanic, it makes standing in place a legitimate strategy rather than just spending your remaining points in useless movement. Once I gave up the ugly habit from Fallout, this combat flows much better now. The enviroment interaction is really fun as well.

Also, I remember toying back some years ago with the idea of non-grid based movement for action points along with a distance marker, so it's quite nice to see it implemented as nicely as this game does. There's probably other games that did this before, but I haven't played them. :p

I'm just 5 hours in so far. Now I'm just gonna be spoiled if Pillars of Eternity doesn't feature as much combat depth as this.

FtHTiny

Sometimes the quest titles are a bit too spoilerish in my opinion.

On another note i didn´t expect the outcomes in town 3 but i liked it!

I... I can't keep up with this thread anymore.

Every night this thread explodes more than the previous night. It is glorious and terrifying all in a single stroke.

Any chance of some performance updates? There areas in the game where I get small drops even at 1080P, where I can play most of the game without issues at 60 FPS at 2880x1620. Have a 780Ti so one would imagine I'd be covered as while the game does look nice it doesn't seem like it should be a performance hog.

TheContact

Is the quest with the
Orc
Victoria, where some people want her dead broken?
I won the RPS argument to get her to give me her amulet, but returning to Eglandaer doesn't recognize that I have the amulet

fixed it, just gave it to a different character and it worked

Jopie

Sorry its not like its some terrible disease. It is just a really god damn good game. For me in my top 3 games of the year easily and probably closer to 1 than 3.

I hope it gets the recognition it deserves. By far the best game I have played this year.

Instro

Noticed a few funny bugs today. I got into my first charm/intimidate/reason thing, but as it turns out the game gives you an automatic win if you switch to another character while the rock paper scissors window is open. Maybe it was just that instance but I went back and did it the normal way anyway.

Also, try to steal some of the maps from the painter in cyseal somehow added all of the maps to my journal instead.

goblin

... that's weird. I mean, it still a 2-hands weapon, why wouldn't it count for the bonus? :/

I imagine that it's because tenebrium weapons are already really powerful, to the point where they can potentially kill the difficulty curve if you acquire a good one at-level. If the Tenebrium skill stacked with weapon skills it'd completely trivialize the rest of the game. That said, there really ought to be a more elegant way to handle the situation than suddenly making four skills obsolete; for instance, if Tenebrium was acquired as a trait instead of a skill. As things stand, you can work around it with respec, but finding all your skills again through RNG merchants isn't very fun.

Zakalwe

Banned
Kill those mushrooms.

I couldn't bring myself to do it. Poor little guys.

Managed to find an
unlock spell
behind a million traps and some lava. Sneaking around those was a lot of fun.

Yeah, I'd like to play with the camera a bit further, especially in combat.

I hope someone mods this in soon. I don't need to zoom as far as Durante, but half as much would be great.

Just started the game and have a question. I read books and I get a learned recipe text but where is it? Meaning do I have to remember whats in the book or is there is recipe window or something? I'm still in the first town so excuse the noob question. My inventory is already filled with crap so I have to organize stuff if not throw out whatever is junk.

Nice game so far though. Looks great and the music is nice too.

Torraz

So I found the second companion who is also
a warrior
, the same as my main character. Is there a point to having two of this class in your party? One as a more defensive with sword and board, and a two handed fighter? Or should I replace with a generic henchman?

Also, is it possible to do the
fabulous five quest
if one decline's the person at the inn's door?

Anyone else having stability problems? I can't progress because it keeps crashing, and I even lost two lucky finds that were really great items for my characters. It's really annoying, but I'm not sure if it's my computer or if it's the game. I just updated to the latest ATI beta drivers but it still crashed about 2 minutes after playing the game (and losing some pretty good items again, I'm saved right in the cellar of the first in and keep opening up the chests, and then crashing right after I identify everything :( ).

FtHTiny

Just started the game and have a question. I read books and I get a learned recipe text but where is it? Meaning do I have to remember whats in the book or is there is recipe window or something?

In the questlog window there are tabs. One collects all your recipes.

So I found the second companion who is also
a warrior
, the same as my main character. Is there a point to having two of this class in your party? One as a more defensive with sword and board, and a two handed fighter? Or should I replace with a generic henchman?

I´m playing the game with 2 2-hand warriors and 2 mages and have no problems so far.
I think the class combo doesn´t really matter, it´s more what you want to have.

goblin

is the
knight's tomb
optional? or a part of the quest that leads you there?

Well. Strictly speaking that area is optional for the main game progression, but it is part of the quest that leads you there
if you're talking about the theft investigation.

Just started the game and have a question. I read books and I get a learned recipe text but where is it? Meaning do I have to remember whats in the book or is there is recipe window or something? I'm still in the first town so excuse the noob question. My inventory is already filled with crap so I have to organize stuff if not throw out whatever is junk.

Open your journal (upper left icon on your minimap) and Recipes should be available through there.

Moff

Well. Strictly speaking that area is optional for the main game progression, but it is part of the quest that leads you there
if you're talking about the theft investigation.

damn,
how did you beat those statues in the beginning?

FtHTiny

damn,

How i beat them
I summoned two elemantals to tank 2 statues away. Fire for fire so the statue would just heal the elemental. One got teleported away 2 times (Running 2 mages) in the time he got back the first was down and then i could just kill them 1 after another.

goblin

damn,

I didn't fight them.

Hint:
What would you use if you had trouble communicating with someone in a different language? Maybe try doing other things in the area first.

Walkthrough:
There's a Titan dictionary in the wizard's house in Hunter's Edge. I want to say it's on the second floor.

Moff

How i beat them
I summoned two elemantals to tank 2 statues away. Fire for fire so the statue would just heal the elemental. One got teleported away 2 times (Running 2 mages) in the time he got back the first was down and then i could just kill them 1 after another.

wow,
both teleport and the elemental tanking are amazing ideas. thanks a lot!

I didn't fight them.

Hint:
What would you use if you had trouble communicating with someone in a different language? Maybe try doing other things in the area first.

Walkthrough:
There's a Titan dictionary in the wizard's house in Hunter's Edge. I want to say it's on the second floor.

ah, I havent been able to enter the house, yet. i have seen the plate with the titan speak and suspected something like that, thanks a lot!

OmegaDL50

I found a big big thing regarding crafting.

Okay so I was toying around with a modified save file experimenting stuff near the Anvil, Furnace, and Whetstone above the empty house in Cyseal.

Crafting quality is TIED to the characters level as well as crafting / smithing skill!

I've tested this with Two Branches.

A level 1 character combining two branches will make a level 1 Elemental Staff with appropriate stats you'd expect a level 1 item to have.

Where as a Level 14 character will likewise create a level 14 staff.

Also interesting information regarding stat caps.

The max attribute for Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Speed, Intelligence, etc is 15.
Skills like Man-at-Arms, Geomancy, Hydrosophist and so forth max at 5 (However equipment with a + bonus to a skill WILL raise it beyond the cap of 5)

I've have not went too far with this because I just wanted to experiment, I have no intentions to play the game breaking the system. This is for a more educational purpose.

Naturally raising a skill from 1 to it's max of 5, requires a total of 15 skill points to master one skill (1+2+3+4+5 = 15)

The interesting thing is how skill points are given per level.

Skill point distribution is as follows
Levels 1 to 5 = 1 point per level
Levels 6 to 10 = 2 points per level
Levels 11 to 20 (soft cap) = 3 points per level
That's a total of 44 Skill points so you could barely max out 3 skills total.

Now as for Attributes and Talents

Attribute points (ie. stats)
You start with 5 and will gain 1 point every time you level up to an even number.
At level 20 you'll have allocated 15 in total.

Talent points
You start with 2 and will gain 1 extra talent every level-up that's a multiple of 3.
At level 20 you'll have 8 talents in total.

With this information. Someone with the knowledge can make a character planner / calculator.

Hope this information is useful to you

I usually just hit the home button to fix the camera thing, refocuses on the party. I quite like it though haha. Watching that Divinity 2 making of trailer, really cool stuff.

Just wanted to say thanks GAF for drawing my attention to this game, just installing atm and looking forward to some jolly co-operation (I bought the Collector's edition to gift the game to my mate).

After burning myself out on FPS games recently I'm just looking forward to some good old adventuring. Cheers again :)

bounchfx

I found a big big thing regarding crafting.

Awesome info, thank you!

I love crafting but I wish there was a faster / better way to organize my stuff, at this point I've just stopped trying to use my 'all' category in my inventory. I've tried searching online for crafting guides but they all seem to be missing a ton of stuff. I have a lot of ingredients not listed anywhere so I'm wondering what they're for...

Its just kind of crazy having 50+ crafting mats taking up inventory space and no idea what can be done with them haha.

but seriously this game is fucking awesome. 20 hours in, not even done with act 1.

Talk to me here guys.

Game is downloading. I have never played an RPG of this nature before. Is there anything in particular I really need to know from the outset? Any general tips that will stop me from ragequitting?

Pick up the two companions in the first town before you leave it, you're gonna have a bad time if you don't.

Zukuu

Banned
Man, I wish I could play tonight... D: Fuck university. Who needs education, when you can learn how to make a MAGICAL STARFISH by rubbing a starfish all over with pixie dust! That's way more important and more usable in life, than further mathematics. :(

Zukuu

Banned
Hope this information is useful to you

Very important PSA:
Once you've unlocked the Hall of
Secrets
in the homestead, you can buy the
Skill and Attribute books EACH TIME YOU LEVEL UP again
from her. Pricey, but worth it²
^lets you spec into more skills / attributes.

Also, Crafting, Loremaster, Blacksmithing etc have no use beyond 5. The only talents that really benefit from points beyond 5 are the weapon skills, which always yield another +10% damage.

For blacksmithing and crafting, it's enough to spec to level 3 or 4 and get the rest via equipment. If you want to craft or bs something, just swap gear. I do that everytime I level up, to craft a new 2h sword and enchant it with an element.

Top Bottom