• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Salsa

I wish you could zoom out just a bit more

also starting tomorrow I won't be able to play for 20 days... it hurts

Zeliard

I found a nice camera bug:
screenshot_2014-07-06brscb.jpg

The camera will tend to zoom out that far occasionally and it makes me really wish you could manually do that, since it makes navigation over long distances a million times more comfortable. Plus it looks great.

Salsa

The camera will tend to zoom out that far occasionally and it makes me really wish you could manually do that, since it makes navigation over long distances a million times more comfortable. Plus it looks great.

lol, for real

it keeps happening and then I quicksave and it goes back to normal :(

epmode

They're going to have to increase mouse wheel sensitivity if they keep the longer zoom range. Unless my mouse is broken, I have to scroll a lot for even very small actions.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Are Jahan and Madora the only party members that the game has to offer? Pretty sure I'm halfway through it and I haven't found anyone else

Zeliard

Are Jahan and Madora the only party members that the game has to offer? Pretty sure I'm halfway through it and I haven't found anyone else

They are right now, yes (other than the basic henchman).

Larian plans to add more in future free updates, along with additional dialogue AI for the protagonists.

TheContact

This game is awesome, I wish I had backed this. I backed Project Eternity not even knowing about this. I'm only a couple hours in but I started with a Fighter and made the other follower a Cleric, then I just got to town and met 2 others.

pixlexic

Banned
ok im starting to like the combat a lot more. its a lot like shining force.

also
if you don't get that lady from bar on your team early battles are a lot harder than they need yo be!

Tom Penny

Cave to the north/north east. Do you check the map it's on the rocky part you can see that's blocking you from teaching the location marker.

LoL I've been all over the map and forgot to go back to the waterfall...I found the whole other map area already too...

OmegaDL50

^lets you spec into more skills / attributes.

Also, Crafting, Loremaster, Blacksmithing etc have no use beyond 5. The only talents that really benefit from points beyond 5 are the weapon skills, which always yield another +10% damage.

For blacksmithing and crafting, it's enough to spec to level 3 or 4 and get the rest via equipment. If you want to craft or bs something, just swap gear. I do that everytime I level up, to craft a new 2h sword and enchant it with an element.

I think you are misunderstanding. Outside of skill books, You literally cannot put more then 15 points into an Attribute. I've used a edited / modified save and tested this myself.

With 99 Attribute points you caps for each do not go beyond 15 (Ignoring additional points from gear. It's does not go higher than 15), and for Skills the points cap is 5 but equipment can raise it beyond that.

Unless this changes later on the game. My experimentation and the information above are the maximums.

Which is why this information is useful for calculator / specific builds. With knowing the caps, one can best decide where to invest in which points for a class. Min-Maxing isn't really important but the I figure the if the information exists then it can be used.

Zukuu

Banned
I think you are misunderstanding. Outside of skill books, You literally cannot put more then 15 points into an Attribute. I've used a edited / modified save and tested this myself.

With 99 Attribute points you caps for each do not go beyond 15 (Ignoring additional points from gear. It's does not go higher than 15), and for Skills the points cap is 5 but equipment can raise it beyond that.

Unless this changes later on the game. My experimentation and the information above are the maximums.

Which is why this information is useful for calculator / specific builds. With knowing the caps, one can best decide where to invest in which points for a class. Min-Maxing isn't really important but the I figure the if the information exists then it can be used.

I didn't mean beyond the hard cap, iust into more attributes\skills. ;)
I have already hit the hard cap on my melee in strength and now I'm aiming for the constitution hard cap.

My dudes are all level 5 or 6.
How do I put more than one point in to my talents?
0->1: 1 skill point
1->2: 2 skill points
2->3: 3 skill points
3->4: 4 skill points
4->5: 5 skill points

epmode

Speaking of min-maxing, how high should my Intelligence be so that I do not get an Int penalty for using the highest level spells? And is it possible to get AP reductions on spells for having an excess of Int or whatever?

Zukuu

Banned
Speaking of min-maxing, how high should my Intelligence be so that I do not get an Int penalty for using the highest level spells?
Never stop skilling int. It makes every spell hit harder. Same for strength, as it raises your skill damage AND hit chance.

epmode

Never stop skilling int. It makes every spell hit harder. Same for strength, as it raises your skill damage AND hit chance.

I realize that but other attributes are also desirable for AP restoration and movement speed, not to mention actually seeing the environmental traps. So I'm trying to strike a balance and I'd love to know how much int is required for high level spells :D

I realize that but other attributes are also desirable for AP restoration and movement speed, not to mention actually seeing the environmental traps. So I'm trying to strike a balance and I'd love to know how much int is required for high level spells :D

You have other heroes you can put perception into.

epmode

You have other heroes you can put perception into.

Right. But I still want Speed and maybe Constitution for my mages and it would be really useful to know the top tier Int requirements.

(constitution is useful for increasing the AP cap which works well with Glass Cannon)

Zukuu

Banned
What's the benefit of putting lots of points into a combat skill?
You mean man-at-arms or witchcraft?

-It raises the available skill slots: 3 -> 5 -> 7 -> 10(?) -> unlimited
-You get a AP penalty if you use a higher level skill/spell without the respectively needed skill level.
-You can unlock new talents, once you have a certain amount of points in a skill (mostly at 5, for marksman and scoundrel also a few at level 1 or 2)

I have 9 base speed on all my characters which gives 8 AP recovery and enough initiative to start first almost all the time. I only spec into strength and int and get gear with constitution (and preferable strength / int on top). I have 6 base on all my chars. Now that I hit the cap, I'm focusing on it on my melee. I have 9 perception due to gear on my archer and feel it's the most unimportant stat. I've found every secret without ever boosting it, range is also neglectable when your attacks only cost 3 AP and you have a movement of over 3.

Decado

Damn. So Glass Cannon is limited by your max APs (Constitution). I have 7 Speed so my AP would double to 14...but it only gives 12 'cause that's my max.

Wasted attribute points on Speed :(

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Found a weird bug with traps - if you move your camera away from your party you'll notice that NPC's and stuff will de-spawn and appear when you character or party approaches.

For hidden traps such as mines, this is the opposite, if you know where they are on a map, zoom over to them before your party approaches and you'll see their location, but they hide when your character approaches.

Noticed this with the mines on the beach with the Orks.

No idea if it's known or not.

Shahadan

Can't find the name of a music playing during battle. It's probably from another Divinity game. I guess I'll have to listen to them all because it will bug me and drive me to madness.

It's the one with basically only a choir and sounds like the usual music from movie trailers.

Zukuu

Banned
Right. But I still want Speed and maybe Constitution for my mages and it would be really useful to know the top tier Int requirements.

(constitution is useful for increasing the AP cap which works well with Glass Cannon)
Seeing that there are level 19 spells (e.g.
Storm
), it'll probably be very much 15. For strength, you need to have 15 (and even more I assume) for crafted weapons. For skill level 14 (e.g.
Summon air elemental or restoration
) I have a 30% modifier with 18 int and a 5% modifier with 13 (base). So I assume you need 12 for those.

How do I get into
Evelyn's Cave. Says there is a spell in her diary. Also the Fabulous 5 people disappeared from the inn I have no idea where they went.

TraBuch

Banned
Does this game have a lot of micromanagement? Can I pretty much focus on just using one character while the computer controls party members?

Varna

Does this game have a lot of micromanagement? Can I pretty much focus on just using one character while the computer controls party members?

Yes it does. You control a max of 4 characters (plus everyone can summon on minion).

Forgotten how nerve-racking playing one of these games blind can be. I wanted my main to be a meele character, but it just seems like such a waste since magic does so much in this game.

Will a screw myself by building a hybrid character?

Zukuu

Banned
How do I get into
Evelyn's Cave. Says there is a spell in her diary. Also the Fabulous 5 people disappeared from the inn I have no idea where they went.
You need to go to the located position and use the spell (which both can be found in her house).

They scammed you. ;) Tho, do look into the prison and speak with the treasure room guard.

Zukuu

Banned
Yes it does. You control a max of 4 characters (plus everyone can summon on minion).

Forgotten how nerve-racking playing one of these games blind can be. I wanted my main to be a meele character, but it just seems like such a waste since magic does so much in this game.

Will a screw myself by building a hybrid character?
My melee can pretty much solo the entire game by now. It's ridiculous how strong you can make him by a) black smithing and b) buffing his ass up. He's nigh invincible and can one shot pretty much everything in the game. Magic isn't a primary source for damage, rather a bonus to its awesome CC and utility effects.

Stick with a melee. It's really worth it.

Hybrid characters tend to be useless in the beginning and fall of later in the game in damage. I wouldn't skill past level 2 of any element and stick around 7-8 int. It's enough to use minor heal, summon a few creatures, the awesome teleport spell, and most buff spells (like witchcraft's +50% damage buff, which I use throughout the whole game almost every fight. All other witchcraft spells kinda suck, so I'd stick with level 1). Also rain, slow and blitz bolt for CC / elemental combos. You don't want to make a hybrid for its spell damage, he'll never be a true caster unless you focus on int, and never a real archer / rogue / melee if you don't focus on dex / strength. I turned Jahan into an archer, and the utility spells I listed above DO make him very awesome. He's still vastly behind my melee in terms of damage output. Tho, due to the recently skilled Quickdraw talent, he's dishing out more DPS than my mage (who still kicks more ass with a wider selection of spells and CC). So yeah, if you make a archer / melee / rogue with BASIC spells, it's decent enough, but I would NOT go beyond that. You don't have enough attribute and skill points to make it worth reliable.

Sarcasm

Some of the difficulty seems stupid. I get to the lab wipe the floor before boss chick.

Boss chick pretty much wipes me in first turn. And only had like 2 less people (which is more than me still). How the heck can I defend myself if it just takes one turn. I am off level.

I guess things like this fact in:

*Skill book at vendors are 12+ level required, I am 5/6
*Loot is horrible both from drops and vendors

Shahadan

Some of the difficulty seems stupid. I get to the lab wipe the floor before boss chick.

Boss chick pretty much wipes me in first turn. And only had like 2 less people (which is more than me still). How the heck can I defend myself if it just takes one turn. I am off level.

I guess things like this fact in:

*Skill book at vendors are 12+ level required, I am 5/6
*Loot is horrible both from drops and vendors

Change your strategy or come back later after level up. Evelyn is easy.
Shoot the demonic rams from afar so they explode, Charm the big one and/or use summons to divert attention.
Also you can stun her before she can summon anything but it's difficult.

Sarcasm

Change your strategy or come back later after level up. Evelyn is easy.
Shoot the demonic rams from afar so they explode, Charm the big one and/or use summons to divert attention.
Also you can stun her before she can summon anything but it's difficult.

I hid near the starting door. They were able in one turn get up there and one shot. Prob is easy if I could get past the first turn. Stilld oesn't help that the loot I have found in all the stuff I been running around is horrible. The vendors suck selling stuff not even worth armour value and the skill books seem to stay consistently 5+ levels higher than me.

Well except for the many starying heal books which one character knows rest can't learn..but that doesn't help anyways.

Shahadan

I hid near the starting door. They were able in one turn get up there and one shot. Prob is easy if I could get past the first turn. Stilld oesn't help that the loot I have found in all the stuff I been running around is horrible. The vendors suck selling stuff not even worth armour value and the skill books seem to stay consistently 5+ levels higher than me.

Well except for the many starying heal books which one character knows rest can't learn..but that doesn't help anyways.

Then create a barrier with objects before engaging, I don't know, you can do pretty much anything.
There should always be some lvl 6 spellbooks available but that's not really what will make you win anyway. Except if you buy a summon from Ahru.

stone128

What does the void eccense do? Can apply it to any of my weapons, and it's not because my crafting skill isn't high enough...

Have water and fire essence on my weapon, the graphical effect is so damn cool, lots of attention to details in this game :D

Sarcasm

There isn't any lvl 6 for me. Just below or way above. Gear is important for melee, I am not runnign some easy 3 mages & 1 ranger. And..I guess I need to find barrels but they just use fire lol it will destroy everything.

Zukuu

Banned
What does the void eccense do? Can apply it to any of my weapons, and it's not because my crafting skill isn't high enough...

Have water and fire essence on my weapon, the graphical effect is so damn cool, lots of attention to details in this game :D
You can't apply it to a weapon afaik. It gives any other equipment
+1 sneaking
. So pretty useless.

BPoole

I consulted this thread a few days ago about my concern regarding whether or not I would like this game, but I decided to give it a shot and see how it is. I figured I'd take a step out of my gaming comfort zone and try something new

Top Bottom